President Trump

RTH10260

Re: President Trump

Post by RTH10260 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:40 am

Trump faces North Korea dilemma after John Bolton infuriates Pyongyang
Trump is keen to keep his appointment in Singapore but the row involving his national security adviser presents a serious hurdle

Julian Borger in Washington
Wed 16 May 2018 19.56 BST Last modified on Wed 16 May 2018 23.14 BST

North Korea’s denunciation of John Bolton has forced Donald Trump to decide whether to stick with his national security adviser and his hardline tactics, or push ahead with a summit with Kim Jong-un that will provide historic spectacle but an uncertain outcome.

Underlying the plans for the Singapore summit was a fundamental ambiguity over what “complete denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula” means. For Pyongyang it is a fluid term that means a long-term process of disarmament, involving all major powers, in whose ranks North Korea would henceforward be counted a member.

The Trump administration thought it meant – or wanted it to mean – that Kim was ready to give up the arsenal he had declared complete and operational in January. For his part, the secretary of state, Mike Pompeo, who was tasked by Trump to set up the Kim summit, was ready to live with the ambiguity, at least until 12 June, when the unprecedented encounter is due to take place.

In weekend television appearances, Pompeo seemed to blur the US negotiating position, suggesting the aim was to prevent North Korea threatening the US mainland with nuclear weapons, a lower bar that would theoretically permit Pyongyang to retain some warheads as long as they did not build intercontinental missiles.

Ambiguity is not Bolton’s style, however. In his own, competing, TV appearances, he was adamant that North Korea would have to take all its weapons apart and ship the fissile material to the US. It was this, coupled his earlier reference to the “Libya model” – which for Pyongyang summons up the memory of Muammar Gaddafi’s brutalised body being paraded on a truck – that got the regime’s attention.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... ohn-bolton

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Thu May 17, 2018 6:28 am

Trump welcomed Shavkat Mirziyoyev, Uzbekistan’s second president since the collapse of the Soviet Union, to the White House.

Mirziyoyev and Trump are expected to discuss ways the nation can adopt more democratic practices and reduce corruption in its authoritarian government.
:confused: :confused:

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu May 17, 2018 7:49 am

Bolton is absolutely convinced that he is right in all things. His principle: kill the bastards. Bombs are good. He may be insane in a Dr. Strangelove way.

This will not sit well with the president without principles. Everything is negotiable to Trump. He will choose the deal that gives him the greatest personal payoff, regardless of what it does to the country. He may be looking for a Nobel, but the cheers of followers in a rally matter as much. Bolton can be discarded.

Trump has very low self esteem. This might seem to be a laughable assertion if you look only at his surface. For whatever reason, his father, mother, and his schools produced a person who has no internal core. There is no there there. The reason that we cannot talk to Trump is that there is no one there to listen.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

GlimDropper

Post by GlimDropper » Thu May 17, 2018 11:33 am

I doubt they're clever enough to set this up but Imagine they realized that the Singapore summit is not going to yield anything like the agreement Trump hopes for so he has Bolton spewing inflammatory rhetoric to preemptively pooch the deal?

If North Korea refuses to attend the summit Trump and Faux News blame Kim.

If North Korea does show up but no agreement is reached Trump blames Bolton.

Either way both Trump and faux will say that Trump has accomplished more to bring peace to the Korean peninsula than all the Presidents since William McKinley combined.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Thu May 17, 2018 11:42 am

I remember back in the day, like maybe 2 weeks ago when Bolton promised not to start any wars and said it doesn't matter if he differs with Trump on policy because he is just an advisor and not the decision maker.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 17, 2018 11:47 am

Foggy wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:20 pm
I think "pizza" means children. :sick:
:nooo:

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 17, 2018 11:51 am

Suranis wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:56 pm
Trump just said "animals" to drown out the Cohen payment in the news cycle. The one thing I will always give him is that he knows how to manipulate the Mayflies you call Media in your country.

My response is "who gives a fuck that an asshole said yet another asshole thing today?" and focus on the payments.
Yabbut it can't be ignored. And it didn't work.

"The people must know before they can act, and there is no educator to compare with the press." - Ida B. Wells-Barnett, journalist, newspaper editor, suffragist, feminist and founder with others of NAACP.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 17, 2018 12:02 pm

TollandRCR wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:49 am
Bolton is absolutely convinced that he is right in all things. His principle: kill the bastards. Bombs are good. He may be insane in a Dr. Strangelove way.

This will not sit well with the president without principles. Everything is negotiable to Trump. He will choose the deal that gives him the greatest personal payoff, regardless of what it does to the country. He may be looking for a Nobel, but the cheers of followers in a rally matter as much. Bolton can be discarded.

Trump has very low self esteem. This might seem to be a laughable assertion if you look only at his surface. For whatever reason, his father, mother, and his schools produced a person who has no internal core. There is no there there. The reason that we cannot talk to Trump is that there is no one there to listen.
Good insight, Tollie.

Moar at http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-co ... eak-611358
TRUMP IS IN MELTDOWN AND IN 'PURE TERROR THAT HE IS GOING TO LOSE,' SAYS 'ART OF THE DEAL' CO-WRITER TONY SCHWARTZ

“I think he’s reacting from a survival place,” Tony Schwartz told Cooper Wednesday. He’s in pure defensive mode...he’s being run by the part of his brain that’s reactive and impulsive, not capable of reflection," Schwartz said.“The sense of siege that he feels because his sense of self-worth is so, so vulnerable that the series of things that have happened are overwhelming to him."

"There is no right and wrong for Trump. There’s winning and losing. And that’s very different from right and wrong. And right now he’s in pure terror that he is going to lose," he added. "And by the way he is going to lose. I surely believe that at some point over the next period of time he’s going to have to figure out a way to resign and the reason he’s going to do that as opposed to go through what could be an impeachment process, or a continuing humiliation, is that he wants to figure out a way — as he’s done all his career — to turn a loss into a victory. And so he will declare victory when he leaves."

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Thu May 17, 2018 12:26 pm

DENINED!
C873C6E7-1E6A-4E28-AACA-A5715A30E5DA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu May 17, 2018 12:34 pm

Trump thinks he'll keep every penny he's unethically, illegally made out of this freakin' unreality show he calls his presidency*, walk away with billions and go live in a dachau in Russia.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Thu May 17, 2018 12:35 pm

"The devil...the prowde spirite...cannot endure to be mocked.” - Thomas Moore

Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede » Thu May 17, 2018 6:43 pm

kate520 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:34 pm
Trump thinks he'll keep every penny he's unethically, illegally made out of this freakin' unreality show he calls his presidency*, walk away with billions and go live in a dachau in Russia.
Yikes! He dreams of living in a Nazi extermination camp?!?!
Off Topic
A man goes to the doctor. "Doctor, I want to be castrated." The doctor is surprised by this request and asks him several times "Are you certainl you want to be castrated?" The man confirms that that is his choice. So the doctor puts him under anesthetic and does the operation, all very smoothly. After the patient comes round, the doctor goes to check on him. "How are you feeling now?" he asks. "Fine, thank you doctor, did the operation go well?" "Yes," replies the doctor, "but that was an unusual request. I've had men asking to be circumcised before but never to be castrated." There is a long pause. "Oh," says the man quietly, "circumcised, that's the word."

kate520

Post by kate520 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:17 pm

:oops: proofread, Kate.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a Scoundrel.
Samuel Johnson
April 7, 1775

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Thu May 17, 2018 8:20 pm

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... r-growing/
Donald Trump’s Business Empire Is No Longer Growing

Since the beginning of Trump’s term, a number of reports have provided anecdotal evidence that some of his key businesses are struggling—some of his golf courses reportedly look like ghost towns. But quantifying the overall impact of Trump’s presidency on his finances is complicated. Trump has now filed four sets of financial disclosures—two as a candidate and two while in office. In his previous three filings, Trump combined financial information from the prior calendar year with several months of the current year. Last year’s filing, for instance, encompassed all of 2016, as well as (for some of his businesses) the first four months of 2017.

But on this year’s filing, Trump only included the entire 2017 calendar year, a change that makes direct comparisons difficult. So while Trump’s filings showed lower revenues across nearly all his businesses compared to his previous filing, some or all of that difference could be explained by the fact that the new documents cover a shorter period of time. Was the $40.3 million decline in revenue at Trump’s prized Trump National Doral golf course simply the result of an accounting change? Or is business at the course really taking a nosedive? It’s not clear.

What is clear, though, is that Trump is not adding new sources of revenue—that is, his business isn’t creating many new projects. That’s a departure from the past, when Trump received frequent injections of cash from multimillion-dollar upfront payments every time he opened a new hotel project overseas. He’s still receiving royalty payments and management fees from some of these old deals, but those fees tend to be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars, not the millions. Opening new hotels helps improve Trump’s cash flow, and since he became president, that has been missing.

The only significant Trump property for which he reported a substantial increase in revenue was his luxury hotel in downtown Washington, DC, which doubled its take from $19.6 million to $40.4 million in the last year. (The hotel opened in September 2016, so much of the $19.6 million reported last year probably was counted again in this year’s $40.4 million.)

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Thu May 17, 2018 8:35 pm

He's making it tough to compare year over year. I think he's not nearly as rich as he says, doesn't make near as much as he says, and may even be into negative cash flow now that he can't get away with basically being a crook. Not to mention all that media attention has to be cutting into his money laundering income stream.

He listed the $40 million from the hotel as "income" not as revenue. That's a little white lie to the plebs but not something an accountant would do unless he was told to. (most wouldn't do it then)

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Thu May 17, 2018 10:25 pm

I also wonder if the people filling in the reports for Trump (all he probably does is bellow at them to make sure he looks rich) are being a little more honest than in the past, knowing that they could be sucked into the Mueller probe.

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Thu May 17, 2018 10:32 pm

The same article cited upthread says:

".... the president has only two new sources of revenue:

The Trump Organization has debuted two new hotel brands—Scion and American Idea—which are significantly less luxurious (think Holiday Inn Express rather than five-star luxury). According to the disclosure form, the first set of new hotels, which are set to open soon in the town of Cleveland, Mississippi (population: 12,334), generated just $26,000 in 2017."

No offense to Mississippi (a state I very much enjoyed visiting) but I've been to Cleveland. It does not scream "luxury."

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Thu May 17, 2018 10:33 pm

kate520 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 7:17 pm

:oops: proofread, Kate.
Hey, if he makes any more enemies among the Russian Thug Billionaire class, they may both be on point.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Fri May 18, 2018 6:38 am

stoppingby wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:32 pm

The Trump Organization has debuted two new hotel brands—Scion and American Idea—which are significantly less luxurious (think Holiday Inn Express rather than five-star luxury). According to the disclosure form, the first set of new hotels, which are set to open soon in the town of Cleveland, Mississippi (population: 12,334), generated just $26,000 in 2017."

No offense to Mississippi (a state I very much enjoyed visiting) but I've been to Cleveland. It does not scream "luxury."
And Cleveland, Clarksdale, Indianola, Greenville, Sunflower, and all the other small Delta towns love it that way. When an area is catering to the Blues music loving masses worldwide they don't want luxury. They want the rural Delta roots "experience" for their annual treks to the myriad Blues festivals all through that area. I offer you https://www.shackupinn.com/ as proof. They're booked solid several years in advance during festival season.

stoppingby

Post by stoppingby » Fri May 18, 2018 7:20 am

Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:38 am
stoppingby wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 10:32 pm

And Cleveland, Clarksdale, Indianola, Greenville, Sunflower, and all the other small Delta towns love it that way. When an area is catering to the Blues music loving masses worldwide they don't want luxury. They want the rural Delta roots "experience" for their annual treks to the myriad Blues festivals all through that area. I offer you https://www.shackupinn.com/ as proof. They're booked solid several years in advance during festival season.
I've actually tried to stay in the Shack Up Inn! It was already full, so we just listened to music in their bar instead (I believe its a restored cotton gin) and stayed in a motel in Clarksdale. I drove a small portion of the blues highway with a friend, and had a wonderful time. Coming from a flat state (Indiana) I didn't think I would find Mississippi very pretty, but I loved the land and the strange sunlight. You know those filters they always use in movies when they show historical scenes set in Mississippi? I swear the light was just like that. But I guess my point is that a hotel in rural Mississippi isn't going to feed Trump's ego, which is based on his belief his properties are "high-class," "luxurious" etc.

Mr Brolin

Post by Mr Brolin » Fri May 18, 2018 8:07 am

Funny (in a "I may be about to die") story of Russia and dacha's..... for the entertainment of the collective.....

(for those who do not know, the "Dacha" is very Russian and particularly Muscovite/St Petersburg thing denoting a rustic little cottage in the country one escapes to, usually on the weekend, to get in touch with your inner Russian or touch your inner Russian, whichever grabs your fancy")

As part of ones sordid past I spent a wee bit of time working in the financial sector for a Russian firm which alas required me, from time to time to go to Moscow.

For the cognoscenti, the trip via motor vehicle from Domedodova airport through the various and seemingly innumerable ring roads and associated traffic, can have a feel akin to descending through most, if not all, of Dante's circles of hell. Oh and it can take a "hellish" amount of time to GET to the airport, particularly on a Friday when you are endeavouring to escape........ :twisted:

Anyway..... I arrived on a Sunday, office on the Monday, did a whole pile of controls and regulation work and at noon on the Friday was packed up and ready to get the hell out of Dodge.

As I was escaping, the head of the metals trading desk, an individual who owned a significant percentage of the firm (no issue here, no sirree....) collared me....

"Mr Brolin, where you go..?"
"Hi Ivan (not real name), flight out this evening, some of us don't have a chopper to get to the airport and I'm sure you've heard what this "traffic" like stuff is for we peons"
"Brolin....No my friend, this weekend, you stay here, with me in my dacha, we talk, we drink, we party, have good time, clear up.....issues....No is not an answer....OK..?"

I get thrown assisted into the back of a white, stretch, blinged out Humvee that screams ostentation, Oligarch, robber baron chic and desperate overcompensation, driven at terror inducing speed through the boulevards of Moscow out into the taiga.

As we drive through the forested area, it is plain to even my meanest of intellect that we are in Oligarch Central. We turn into a drive, heavily armed and bulky guards hulking about very much in evidence, to the "dacha".

My first reaction, rapidly stifled, was to giggle, it was as if someone had looked at the Palace of Versailles, said "looks a bit bland" and vomited gold and sparkly bling on the new build. Anyway, said "little cottage in the country" was running as party central.... I firmly ensconced myself as far away from all as possible however ended up being plied with copious quantities of Georgian pepper vodka.

Next morning, wake up and it feels as if my eyeballs have been poached and one of the guards has used my body as a combination of punch bag and tactical interrogation training aid.

Door bursts open...." Ha....Mr Brolin, you are hungover, good time last night, come I show how we Russians deal with silly issue like hangover" at which point I get bundled outside....in Moscow....In the forest....In winter....My lungs feel as if they have flash frozen and the coughing is only prevented by the paralysis of my diaphragm. After a few minutes I start to feel marginally more sapient to have an arm draped firmly over my shoulder and be steered deeper into the pine forest.

"Mr Brolin, all this talk of anti money laundering, know your customer, Chinese Walls and....." is the tenor of the conversation, as we enter a clearing in said forest.....to see, with a degree of alarm, a couple of the large and beefy, obviously ex-Spetznaz, guards clearing out a hole in the clearing....about oh....6 foot long, about 4 feet deep about 2 foot wide.

Mr Brolin enters one of those not so delightful moments of sphincter tightening and what an old military colleague of mine described as "Murder Math Calculation".

Ivan then laughs uproariously in a very Russian/German schadenfreude manner and booms "Mr Brolin....so funny, your face....not for you my friend".

Strangely enough shortly thereafter, one carefully severed ones relationships....... Dacha's, not just for Dostoevsky.....

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri May 18, 2018 8:08 am

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/05/ ... eup-596595
White House staff brace for personnel moves after leak

In this White House, one former administration official said, media stories can become so intense and frequent that they “hit a critical mass,” turn into an echo chamber, and something must be done to stop the negative headlines and the president’s displeasure.

The remarks (about McCain "dying anyway") set off a week’s worth of stories about a White House in which no one ever apologizes – and bred fresh rumors about potential shifts in the teams. Both have been rife with fiefdoms and warring factions since the inauguration, when a number of alums of the Republican National Committee started working with insurgent Trump campaign officials.

But not all Republicans believe that shifting a handful of staffers out of the White House press and communications shop will solve the deeper problem.

“If you’re mad at the boss, then you don’t care if settling the score distracts from his message. That’s the culture Trump has bred. It will never change,” said one Republican strategist with close ties to White House staff. “Trump has bred a totally dysfunctional and disloyal atmosphere. He is the reason why the White House operates this way. If he’s unhappy with it, then he should look in the mirror.”

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Fri May 18, 2018 8:13 am

stoppingby wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 7:20 am

I've actually tried to stay in the Shack Up Inn! It was already full, so we just listened to music in their bar instead (I believe its a restored cotton gin) and stayed in a motel in Clarksdale. I drove a small portion of the blues highway with a friend, and had a wonderful time. Coming from a flat state (Indiana) I didn't think I would find Mississippi very pretty, but I loved the land and the strange sunlight. You know those filters they always use in movies when they show historical scenes set in Mississippi? I swear the light was just like that. But I guess my point is that a hotel in rural Mississippi isn't going to feed Trump's ego, which is based on his belief his properties are "high-class," "luxurious" etc.
Sounds like you were just stopping by.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Fri May 18, 2018 9:05 am

Mr Brolin wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:07 am
Funny (in a "I may be about to die") story of Russia and dacha's..... for the entertainment of the collective.....
:snippity:
:coffeescreen: :bwaha:

Birfers are toast

Tiredretiredlawyer

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Fri May 18, 2018 9:06 am

MsDaisy wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 9:05 am
Mr Brolin wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 8:07 am
:snippity:
:coffeescreen: :bwaha:
:eek2:

Return to “Trump Administration”