New Diseases

Suranis

New Diseases

Post by Suranis »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:53 pm
Suranis wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:24 pm Interesting. It is kind of clouded because any skin infection was called Leprosy for a long time. For example the Law in Israel in biblical times said that if Leprosy cleared up you had to go to the Priests to be declared clean. Since real leprosy does not just go away, it meant that things that were not actually leprosy were called that.
Many patients with the tuberculoid or Paucibacillary form of Hansen's disease can even self-heal without benefit of treatment, but it is the standard of care to treat all patients identified with the disease.
https://www.hrsa.gov/hansens-disease/fr ... %20disease.
This is getting to be a habit. Maybe you should start fact checking before posting.
Maybe you should read your links. Like I do.
Hansen's disease, also known as leprosy, is a complex infectious disease caused by a bacterium. The disease is often mistakenly identified as the "leprosy of the Old Testament," which has been clearly shown not to be Hansen's disease.
Yes, proving you wrong with your own links is a habit. Normally I have to read more than 2 sentences though. :roll:

Fuck sake. What is it with ever-wrongers that they start claiming they always strut about claiming they always prove me wrong when all they do is vomit up some shit they copy and pasted from a blog that lied to them, lying about what was in their links the Ever-wrongs haven't read themselves?

And don't blame me for making you look a bit silly on this. You did this to yourself with your arrogance and rush to "humiliate me." As though that means anything.

Anyway, its getting away from the real point, which that a lot of skin conditions were called leprosy at that time. I am not going to claim anything about what was considered Leprosy in the Middle ages etc because I honestly don't know. Lerosy being spread by the Fur trade is definatly an angle I never heard of. Maybe other diseases were spread as well.
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

New Diseases

Post by Suranis »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:53 pm This is getting to be a habit. Maybe you should start fact checking before posting.
Oh and if you are referring to something you said on that abortion side track in one of the Turnip threads, I have no idea what you might have said or not said there, because I didn't look at it again once I posted. I do that a lot, because doing anything else just invites pointless arguments where the goalposts get moved so far around the place that it just turns into a shitfest. I have to debunk 15 lies at once, I get multiple people shoutjng that I said things I didn't, and I convince nobody. I don't have the headspace or interest in that exercise in futility anymore. Just not looking at it is better for my mental health, and I'll never drag you screaming out of the lies anyway. I could prove it 15 ways till Sunday and you would never believe it, so why bother.

I say what I say, and leave it at that. Unlike you I CAN walk away.
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

New Diseases

Post by Suranis »

Getting back on topic.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2024/04 ... -in-texas/

“Concerning” spread of bird flu from cows to cats suspected in Texas
Mammal-to-mammal transmission raises new concerns about the virus's ability to spread.

In a study published today in the journal Emerging Infectious Diseases, researchers in Iowa, Texas, and Kansas found that the cats had H5N1 not just in their lungs but also in their brains, hearts, and eyes. The findings are similar to those seen in cats that were experimentally infected with H5N1, aka highly pathogenic avian influenza virus (HPAI). But, on the Texas dairy farm, they present an ominous warning of the potential for transmission of this dangerous and evolving virus.
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

New Diseases

Post by bill_g »

My questions would be where, when, and how. How does an infant possess an unknown virus it was never exposed to?

My speculations are enormous.
sugar magnolia

New Diseases

Post by sugar magnolia »

Suranis wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:26 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:53 pm
Suranis wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 5:24 pm Interesting. It is kind of clouded because any skin infection was called Leprosy for a long time. For example the Law in Israel in biblical times said that if Leprosy cleared up you had to go to the Priests to be declared clean. Since real leprosy does not just go away, it meant that things that were not actually leprosy were called that.
Many patients with the tuberculoid or Paucibacillary form of Hansen's disease can even self-heal without benefit of treatment, but it is the standard of care to treat all patients identified with the disease.
https://www.hrsa.gov/hansens-disease/fr ... %20disease.
This is getting to be a habit. Maybe you should start fact checking before posting.
Maybe you should read your links. Like I do.
Hansen's disease, also known as leprosy, is a complex infectious disease caused by a bacterium. The disease is often mistakenly identified as the "leprosy of the Old Testament," which has been clearly shown not to be Hansen's disease.
Yes, proving you wrong with your own links is a habit. Normally I have to read more than 2 sentences though. :roll:

Fuck sake. What is it with ever-wrongers that they start claiming they always strut about claiming they always prove me wrong when all they do is vomit up some shit they copy and pasted from a blog that lied to them, lying about what was in their links the Ever-wrongs haven't read themselves?

And don't blame me for making you look a bit silly on this. You did this to yourself with your arrogance and rush to "humiliate me." As though that means anything.

Anyway, its getting away from the real point, which that a lot of skin conditions were called leprosy at that time. I am not going to claim anything about what was considered Leprosy in the Middle ages etc because I honestly don't know. Lerosy being spread by the Fur trade is definatly an angle I never heard of. Maybe other diseases were spread as well.
Seriously? You said "real leprosy does not just go away" and I gave a link that says it does. I said nothing about the Bible or any other disease.
Suranis

New Diseases

Post by Suranis »

sugar magnolia wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 7:06 am Seriously? You said "real leprosy does not just go away" and I gave a link that says it does. I said nothing about the Bible or any other disease.
:roll:

This is me walking away from this person who just wants a fight because I'm not the bigger idiot here.

"Ha ha you just called yourself an idiot!!" I'm aware.
Hic sunt dracones
MN-Skeptic

New Diseases

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My father had various health issues later in life and I heard my sister-in-law, who has a master's degree in immunology, speculate that he may have had leprosy. I didn't have a chance to ask her why she thought that, but Dad spent his first 16 years in Madagascar (missionary parents) so I suppose that could be possible. Some time I'll have to ask her why she considered that.
Suranis

New Diseases

Post by Suranis »

Well, Sugar Magnolia's link says that 95% of people are immune to Hansen's Disease, and mild cases are very common. So, ya, he very well could have had it. But then I don't play a doctor on the Internet.
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Science”