Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Holy shit! Love to the Granddaughter! :bighug:
realist

Weather Alerts

Post by realist »

MsDaisy 2 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 3:59 pm Holy shit! Love to the Granddaughter! :bighug:
Thanks. Just heard from her mom. She has recovered all she can of her personal belongings and has moved them into a storage facility which she had rented to store the items she was not bringing home for the summer. Lucky she'd done that. :thumbsup: She's now helping her roommate recover some of her things. They will be staying at her friend's grandmother's house until my granddaughter's car is released from the repair facility.
Image X 4
Image X 32
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

It sounds like your granddaughter is ... well, not exactly lucky, but lucky to be safe and sound. :bighug:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

:bighug:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Sulphur OK - from a bison rancher I follow on YT

Cleanup in city, was formerly a tourist location
► Show Spoiler

Ranch was not affected but had huge rainfall
► Show Spoiler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

My home town was just hit by a tornado. Destroyed a building about a half-mile from where I grew up. The info is still spotty. A large FedEx Ground warehouse collapsed so there is a search there. It don't think it is anything like the OK ones.

Some posters on X/Twitter say Portage was decimated but from what I can tell, damage but not decimated. Stupid scare posts. I hate people who probably are not even from there using decimated that way. I do not think it means what they think it means.

My parents live further north so probably missed the bad stuff. Have not heard back, yet.

And I just checked... for all the comments on the FedEx building be decimated, well, heavily damaged, yes. People trapped. That's bad. But this is not decimated.

https://x.com/JasonStump4/status/1787981520583483592
101010 :towel:
sugar magnolia

Weather Alerts

Post by sugar magnolia »

northland10 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:22 pm My home town was just hit by a tornado. Destroyed a building about a half-mile from where I grew up. The info is still spotty. A large FedEx Ground warehouse collapsed so there is a search there. It don't think it is anything like the OK ones.

Some posters on X/Twitter say Portage was decimated but from what I can tell, damage but not decimated. Stupid scare posts. I hate people who probably are not even from there using decimated that way. I do not think it means what they think it means.

My parents live further north so probably missed the bad stuff. Have not heard back, yet.

And I just checked... for all the comments on the FedEx building be decimated, well, heavily damaged, yes. People trapped. That's bad. But this is not decimated.

Decimated technically means 10% so if the warehouse collapsed, that probably meets the definition.
realist

Weather Alerts

Post by realist »

northland10 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:22 pm My home town was just hit by a tornado. Destroyed a building about a half-mile from where I grew up. The info is still spotty. A large FedEx Ground warehouse collapsed so there is a search there. It don't think it is anything like the OK ones.

Looks decimated to me.
Image X 4
Image X 32
Foggy
Dick Tater

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, I mean, decimated literally means a tenth destroyed. That looks like a tenth to me too also. :batting:
Estiveo
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Estiveo »

From Merriam-Webster for all you anal language weenies out there:

Regarding the Incorrect Use of 'Decimate'
It's totally fine to use 'decimate' as a synonym for 'devastate'. This is why.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/grammar ... ne%20tenth.
Image Image Image Image
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

Okay, fair enough. I guess I have a higher personal threshold on some things (I did grow up in the Midwest, where storms are common). However,:
Portage was wiped out. This is devastating.
Um.. no. Portage had a bunch of damage but not wiped out. I have seen recent tornado damage in OK, KS, MO, NE, and IA and they were far worse than Portage damage. This one is probably not as damaging as the 1980 one that went through downtown Kalamazoo (I was only a quarter-mile away fro that one).

I may be taking this one a bit personally, being that it went through part of the neighborhood I grew up in.

Oh yeah.., I just talked to the parents, and they are fine.

p.s. some idiot from NY was using this to bitch about Biden. It was nice to see a self-proclaimed Biden hater point out the dude's post was stupid.
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

The word I am hearing is that all the employees in the FedEx building are accounted for.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

My friends/acquaintances from Portage have all checked in. Minimal damage, but some are without power. A lot of tornadoes in Michigan the last year, several times had cloud rotation that passed directly over my house, but either didn't touch down or touched down a few miles downwind.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Just had my first experience with a tornado. It's been storming for two days (cleared enough for northern lights sighting last night). Got my first warning on my watch, closely followed on other devices. Local news was on, so they covered it moment by moment until it was over. Heavy rain, hail above pea size, not too much wind, considering how close it was. My street was even mentioned in the coverage as it moved around us. I kept the sound up high so that I could hear it. We never lost electricity. It touched down and did some damage not far away, but, as tornadoes go, probably not that big. I can't say I was terrified, but it was unnerving. I moved down into the pantry, which is at basement level.

Now, a little over an hour after the first alert, the sun is brightly shining (off and on). :shrug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

:nooo:

ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

:nooo:

ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Yikes. We don't even have a basement level. A tornado would really mess up our house.
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

Because of a high water table and clay soil, many houses in Oklahoma don't have basements.

Oklahoma

Another reason I don't want to live there.
pipistrelle

Weather Alerts

Post by pipistrelle »

Oklahoma is the destination of the Trail of Tears.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

The tornado was declared an F2, which is a little higher than I was expecting. It was on the ground for ten minutes and damaged quite a few homes and buildings in three different municipalities, all in my usual stomping grounds. The church that was first hit had about 100 people in it when it hit without warning. They all headed for the basement, and no one was hurt.

Two rare events here--tornadoes and northern lights--all within less than 24 hours. That's enough.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 1:14 pm The tornado was declared an F2, which is a little higher than I was expecting. It was on the ground for ten minutes and damaged quite a few homes and buildings in three different municipalities, all in my usual stomping grounds. The church that was first hit had about 100 people in it when it hit without warning. They all headed for the basement, and no one was hurt.

Two rare events here--tornadoes and northern lights--all within less than 24 hours. That's enough.
What, you want us to call off the earthquakes scheduled for tomorrow?
sugar magnolia

Weather Alerts

Post by sugar magnolia »

northland10 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:44 pm Because of a high water table and clay soil, many houses in Oklahoma don't have basements.

Oklahoma

Another reason I don't want to live there.
I was in my teens before I ever saw a basement, and in my 20s before I saw one that was actually underground and not a walk-out. Basements are just not a thing down here.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

a8ao48rw34qc1.jpeg
a8ao48rw34qc1.jpeg (188.34 KiB) Viewed 132 times
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

As a kid in Kansas City, it seemed like there were tornado warnings almost every year. Mom would herd us kids down to the basement and all the dads would go stand on the driveway. I remember my older brother wanting to stand out there with him.

ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Weather Alerts

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

My dad did the same thing!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “General Stuff”