Birding

Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Birding

Post by Shizzle Popped »

We just about had an incident the other morning. I came down to let the dogs out at first light. When I let the dogs out the motion detecting light came on and I saw a rabbit moving under the bird feeders. Evie went for the rabbit and I went out after her. She was about halfway across the yard when our visiting mallards dropped out of the sky almost on top of her. Luckily, they realized their mistake and quickly took off but Evie was only about 6" from the female's tail feathers before she got off the ground. The rabbit escaped in the confusion.

Most of the time she's one of the sweetest dogs you'll find but she also got all of the Schnauzer hunting instinct and anything that comes in her yard is fair game. She'll stop now once I get her attention but she racked up a pretty impressive score before we got her trained. Unlike Puppy Killer Barbie, I train my dogs rather than shoot them.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Birding

Post by Foggy »

northland10 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:54 pm Birds are so rude. They don't sit still long enough to for me to grab my camera and zoom in to get a good shot from a distance.
I know, right? And you can't get through to them by talking, it's almost like they don't speak English at all. And they hide in the trees! How rude is that?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Birding

Post by Shizzle Popped »

IMG_7866 copy.jpg
IMG_7866 copy.jpg (200.68 KiB) Viewed 476 times
Some of mine sit still. The goldfinches, house finches and sparrows all left when I opened the door to take this shot but the ducks, rabbit, a cardinal and red wing blackbird stuck around.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Birding

Post by northland10 »

northland10 wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 3:54 pm Birds are so rude. They don't sit still long enough to for me to grab my camera and zoom in to get a good shot from a distance.

There are times they do, but I also have ended up with lots of blurry shots of the tail feather tips.
With migration season upon us, I heard a new bird song. The Merlin app said it was a Nashville Warbler (it was rather insistent about it) but I don't like to call it unless I see it. The only problem is it is a small bird among lots of trees.

Patience is a virtue. You have to sit and watch where the song is coming from and hope you can catch a sign of movement.

After that, a really good zoom also helps if the little thing sits still.
IMG_0386.jpg
IMG_0386.jpg (154.22 KiB) Viewed 445 times
101010 :towel:
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Birding

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

This was a great shot outside my kitchen window from 2010
Jay and Cardinal Feb 10.jpg
Jay and Cardinal Feb 10.jpg (103.31 KiB) Viewed 441 times
northland10

Birding

Post by northland10 »

MsDaisy 2 wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 4:29 pm This was a great shot outside my kitchen window from 2010

Jay and Cardinal Feb 10.jpg
:clap:
Chilidog

Birding

Post by Chilidog »

My son was down in Florida @ thousand islands the other day.
Black_Vulture.jpeg
Black_Vulture.jpeg (43.3 KiB) Viewed 388 times
glossy2.jpeg
glossy2.jpeg (128.77 KiB) Viewed 388 times
Stork_Flight.jpeg
Stork_Flight.jpeg (70.75 KiB) Viewed 388 times
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Birding

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Wow! Beautiful :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Birding

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Birding

Post by RTH10260 »

‘It is very exciting’: Pelicans return to Hat Island on the Great Salt Lake

May 10, 2024, 6:09 PM | Updated: 8:07 pm
BY ALEX CABRERO KSLTV.com

FARMINGTON BAY — The first time you see the Great Salt Lake, you never forget it.

“Absolutely. I am very impressed,” said Frank Tomasino while looking out at the water.

Tomasino and his wife live in Chicago and have been to Utah before, but Friday is the first time they have been to the Great Salt Lake.

“We were actually only going to spend a couple of minutes here and we have been here, what, an hour at least,” said Tomasino.

There is certainly a lot to see at the State Park, the views, boats, displays, birds, and there was even a guy swimming in the cold water.

However, there is something going on a little further north on the lake nobody has seen since the 1940’s.

“We did not expect to see them,” John Luft said with a laugh.

Luft is the Great Salt Lake ecosystem program manager for Utah’s Division of Wildlife Resources.

https://ksltv.com/643050/it-is-very-exc ... salt-lake/

RTH10260

Birding

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Birding

Post by RTH10260 »

Bald Canyon Eaglet Rescue🦅Not All Heroes Wear Capes, But Some Carry Ladders🪜2024-05-02

Cali Condor
2 May 2024 SANTA CRUZ ISLAND

Video courtesy of @instituteforwildlifestudie2630
Support IWS and their eagle cameras here: https://www.iws.org/iws-chat

From IWS (Institute for Wildlife Studies): "Thank you to Nicole (U.S. Navy) and Sean (Crew Leader for IWS' San Clemente Loggerhead Shrike Project) for putting the Bald Canyon chick back into the nest and making some nest upgrades."

One one the Bald Canyon nestlings fell off the side of the nest sometime between 4/30 and 5/1. Dr. Sharpe was able to contact the Navy and obtain permission to access the area.

Today 5/2, Nicole (U.S. Navy) and Sean (Crew Leader for IWS' San Clemente Loggerhead Shrike Project) rescued and renested the chick.
At 3:43 in the video Nicole checks both wings and gets bitten for her efforts. 😊

One of the parents (possibly Dad) came back to the nest about 13 minutes after the ladder was removed and fed the rescued chick shortly after.

Resident female: unidentified, possibly Chinook A-32 since 2014. Chinook hatched in 2004.
Resident male: unidentified, possibly Tuqan K-76 since 2014. Tuqan hatched in 2007.
Nest info: https://www.iws.org/bald-canyon-nest-history

The Bald Canyon Nest is located on San Clemente Island, CA. The island belongs to the Navy. IWS obtained special permits to install the cam.

northland10

Birding

Post by northland10 »

I walked out of the church tonight and a few chimney swifts were having a party.

They live in the chimney of the Masonic Temple. Some years ago, I saw a red-tailed hawk sitting on the edge of the chimney looking down into the chimney. The few swifts that were flying around were none too pleased.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Chilidog

Birding

Post by Chilidog »

Protonotary Warbler
Proth6.jpeg
Proth6.jpeg (450.95 KiB) Viewed 198 times
Foggy
Dick Tater

Birding

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
Protonotary:
noun. , plural pro·ton·o·tar·ies.
a chief clerk or official in certain courts of law. Roman Catholic Church. any of the seven members of the college of prothonotaries apostolic, charged chiefly with the registry of pontifical acts and canonizations.

Good bird for a forum with a lot of attorneys.
sugar magnolia

Birding

Post by sugar magnolia »

It's raining right now but the hummers are still hitting the feeder in front of my window. The cat is just hitting the window as she body slams it trying to get to the hummers.
RTH10260

Birding

Post by RTH10260 »

► Show Spoiler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Birding

Post by Foggy »

► Show Spoiler
northland10

Birding

Post by northland10 »

Chilidog wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:21 pm Protonotary Warbler

Proth6.jpeg
Where did you or the kid take this one? I have seen or heard more warblers this season than in past years.

Your son takes wonderful shots. He must have loads of patience. I feel like such a hack against his work. This is not unexpected, as I am a birding hack with a camera that's better than a phone. A good zoom is a wonderful thing.

I would probably get some better shots if I got off my butt and went to all the places around here that you have suggested (such as the Middlefork Savannah Forest Preserver, only four miles away).
northland10

Birding

Post by northland10 »

The brown-headed cowbirds are especially yappy the last couple of days.

At least one is also not easily frightened. I was only 4 feet away or so and he was happy to continue grazing away with little interest in me standing right there.
Chilidog

Birding

Post by Chilidog »

northland10 wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 11:29 am
Chilidog wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:21 pm Protonotary Warbler

Proth6.jpeg
Where did you or the kid take this one? I have seen or heard more warblers this season than in past years.

Your son takes wonderful shots. He must have loads of patience. I feel like such a hack against his work. This is not unexpected, as I am a birding hack with a camera that's better than a phone. A good zoom is a wonderful thing.

I would probably get some better shots if I got off my butt and went to all the places around here that you have suggested (such as the Middlefork Savannah Forest Preserver, only four miles away).

I think he got that one at the Land Between the Lakes in Tennessee.

There's an area that he knows about that is warbler central.

Middlefork occasionally has breeding Sandhills.

But the best bird to spot there are the Bobolinks.

They are fun to watch.

Return to “General Stuff”