Trump's Classified Docs Theft: Mar-A-Lago, FBI Subpoenas, Searches & Seizures - DOJ, Garland, GOP Madness - Spy Hard

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
p0rtia

Trump's Classified Docs Theft: Mar-A-Lago, FBI Subpoenas, Searches & Seizures - DOJ, Garland, GOP Madness - Spy Hard

Post by p0rtia »

Chilidog wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:19 am So....

What next?
Jack Smith finally takes actions and requests that she be thrown out on her ear. I like him so I will refrain from saying what I'll think about it if he doesn't.

Oh, and:

FUCK YOU MERRICK GARLAND
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

So, now the case is indefinitely postponed. As if it wasn't already obviously indefinitely postponed.

Also, too - regarding Cannon's motivations, I have a hard time believing that if she were presiding over a classified documents case where the defendant is some regular Tom, Dick, or Harry that she would be handling manipulating it the same way. I don't buy suggestions that there is anything innocent or unintentional in her handling of the case. She is clearly quite intelligent. And she is getting the better of a very experienced prosecutor, cutting him off at every pass and doing it in a way as to maximize the effectiveness of assisting the defendant while leaving no way to be removed from the case. That takes intelligence and extreme gamesmanship. She knows exactly what she is doing.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

p0rtia wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:23 am
Chilidog wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 9:19 am So....

What next?
Jack Smith finally takes actions and requests that she be thrown out on her ear. I like him so I will refrain from saying what I'll think about it if he doesn't.

Oh, and:

FUCK YOU MERRICK GARLAND
Yes, Merrick Garland should have assigned a special counsel for all of Trump's crimes on day one.

We are going to end up with a criminal for President again partly because of all those fucking idiots who were afraid HER EMAILS indicated some kind of criminality. He is now locked in as being a legitimate candidate, which wouldn't have happened had he lost that 2016 election. He would have slunked away and continued scamming small businesses out of their owners life savings.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

RVInit wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:28 am So, now the case is indefinitely postponed. As if it wasn't already obviously indefinitely postponed.

Also, too - regarding Cannon's motivations, I have a hard time believing that if she were presiding over a classified documents case where the defendant is some regular Tom, Dick, or Harry that she would be handling manipulating it the same way. I don't buy suggestions that there is anything innocent or unintentional in her handling of the case. She is clearly quite intelligent. And she is getting the better of a very experienced prosecutor, cutting him off at every pass and doing it in a way as to maximize the effectiveness of assisting the defendant while leaving no way to be removed from the case. That takes intelligence and extreme gamesmanship. She knows exactly what she is doing.
I think her work primarily before being appointed was in appellate court, so that's her background. I read some pundits' takes that she's so slow because she's using an appellate POV instead of a trial court judge's. :shrug:
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

The Guardian sums it up this way
Judge scraps date for Trump Mar-a-Lago documents trial without rescheduling
Aileen Cannon, overseeing Trump’s prosecution on charges of retaining classified files, says case is not ready to take before jury

Hugo Lowell and Cameron Joseph
Wed 8 May 2024 02.46 CEST

The federal judge overseeing Donald Trump’s prosecution on charges of retaining classified documents at his Mar-a-Lago club on Tuesday formally scrapped her scheduled 20 May trial date without setting a new date, ruling the case was nowhere near ready to take before a jury in Florida.

The fact that the original May trial date would not hold was a foregone conclusion and has been apparent since last year, given delays with pre-trial litigation and the number of unresolved legal issues that have only increased in recent months.

The presiding US district court judge Aileen Cannon set several new deadlines in a five-page order scrapping the trial date, seemingly in an effort to get the case back on track, but the drawn-out nature of the dates cast doubt on the likelihood of a trial before the 2024 election.

In doing so, the judge played into Trump’s overarching legal strategy to seek indefinite delays for his criminal cases, under the belief that winning re-election would enable him to appoint a loyalist as attorney general who could direct prosecutors to drop the charges.

The only silver lining for the special counsel Jack Smith, who brought the case, is that the federal judge overseeing Trump’s criminal case in Washington DC on charges that he conspired to overturn the 2020 election results is free, for now, to schedule that case for trial in the summer.

But the possibility of that case proceeding to trial before the election is also in doubt, since a trial date cannot be set until the US supreme court rules on Trump’s presidential immunity claim and even then, Trump has roughly three more months of defense preparation time left on the clock.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/art ... -postponed
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

MTN Ben Meiselas comments on false statements by Mike Johnson

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Cannon is disappointed with Jack Smith.

Mueller, She Wrote
@MuellerSheWrote
Oh FFS! Judge Cannon approved Jack Smith's redactions but is "very disappointed" in him for asking for them. She also DENIED Trump's proposed redactions but is granting him a merits hearing on them in another motion. This is fucking ridiculous.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”