X -Where Twitter goes to die.

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Twitter

Post by raison de arizona »

Twitter is reportedly locking the doors and disabling badge access until Monday. Per NYT tech writer with a blue check and 80k followers. :shrug:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
dan1100

Twitter

Post by dan1100 »

What a douchebag.

Elon Musk
@elonmusk
·
1h
How do you make a small fortune in social media?

Start out with a large one.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1593415171149791232
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Putting this here just because...
20221117 Tesla Stock.jpg
20221117 Tesla Stock.jpg (48.62 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Uninformed

Twitter

Post by Uninformed »

“Elon Musk: Twitter closes offices until next week”:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63672307

“Twitter has told employees that all of the company's office buildings will be temporarily closed, effective immediately.
In a message seen by the BBC, workers were told that the offices would reopen on Monday 21 November.
It did not given a reason for the move.
The announcement comes amid reports that large numbers of staff were quitting after new owner Elon Musk called on them to sign up for "long hours at high intensity" or leave.
The message went on to say: "Please continue to comply with company policy by refraining from discussing confidential company information on social media, with the press or elsewhere."
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Phoenix520 »

Boom
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

dan1100 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:24 pm
tek wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:29 am pretty sure the only people that will be left are people who are unemployable elsewhere.

It's not like nobody has been through this before.
I'm pretty sure they are down to mostly the people who will get deported if they lose their jobs.
Do they even need security or facilities services?
Chilidog

Twitter

Post by Chilidog »

Foggy wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:58 am :snippity:
Off Topic
Disgruntled is one of my favorite words, because of course what you really want is gruntled employees. And, of course, gruntled former employees. Those people never cause any problems. You ever see a story, "Gruntled Former Employee Goes On Rampage"? No, 'course not. They don't do that sorta thing. They're gruntled, is why.
Off Topic
I like "ineffable."

What's the opposite of that?

Effable? Use it in a sentence.

"She's a very effable young lady."
Danraft

Twitter

Post by Danraft »

Gawd this irks me….
The world’s richest man… That in itself is stupendous— his auto company became more highly valued than other large scale manufacturers with decades of expertise in challenging situations and huge varieties of successes (and failures to learn from). With little infrastructure that exists in the real physical world, it is more valuable than real companies?
Same with Facebook, etc.
So, these schmucks who seem to have few morals or ethics (especially the Bitcoin guy) are basically sociopaths (too strong a term, but what comes to mind)… so they don’t follow the social and business and financial norms and get rewarded with wealth and influence.
They exhibit narcissistic disorder. Humans seem to love narcissists. It’s an odd inherited proclivity of our Stone Age brains. History is replete with examples.
So, Captain Dunning-Krueger Musk is a prime example of this.
I’ve been struggling with trying to really understand this.
I have read a few tomes studying human logic and ethics from an evolutionary basis and the TLDR is: we’re fucked.
The new age of Social Media and Global interactions facilitate bad actors.
I wish I could offer actual implentational answers.
Everything I have considered, and even got paid to mature a kernel of an idea of… is pissing into the wind.
The reason I tend to look to evolutionary biology is that if an answer exists, it will be one that taps into who we are as humans and insists that there must (really) be guardrails on “free speech” because of our inherent root level inability (as a species) to understand that little small rules and actions are the reality of what can work at larger scale. And, these sociopaths (my choice of term) should be squelched.
Sigh…
dan1100

Twitter

Post by dan1100 »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:47 pm
tek wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:29 am pretty sure the only people that will be left are people who are unemployable elsewhere.

It's not like nobody has been through this before.
I'm pretty sure they are down to mostly the people who will get deported if they lose their jobs.
I was thinking engineer/techies with H-1B visas, but that's just a guess.
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

dan1100 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:30 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:47 pm
I was thinking engineer/techies with H-1B visas, but that's just a guess.
Nah, I meant they have so few people left they can let the security and facilities people go and turn off the lights.
John Thomas8

Twitter

Post by John Thomas8 »

Large groups of mildly educated like "Humans seem to love narcissists."

I don't know how to do it with the Reichstag crowd back in charge of the House, but the Fairness Doctrine needs to be restored and enforced with gusto.
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

Hundreds said to have opted to leave Twitter over Musk ultimatum
Access cutoffs have been delayed, because they are not sure who is gone, because most of human resources left, according to one of the employees.
So that seems to be going well. Elmo is showing us how to turn $44 billion into $4 billion.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
MN-Skeptic

Twitter

Post by MN-Skeptic »

A lot of folks I follow on Twitter are saying goodbye in case the site goes poof in the next day.
Volkonski
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Volkonski »

Wow! Musk spends 44 Billion $ for a company and then destroys that company in just 3 weeks. :shock:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

I downloaded my data a couple weeks ago.

One person should not have this much power over peoples’ lives, employees and users.
Suranis

Twitter

Post by Suranis »

"Hours before a Thursday deadline that Elon Musk had given Twitter employees to decide whether to stay or leave their jobs, the social media company appeared to be in disarray.

Mr. Musk and his advisers held meetings with some Twitter workers whom they deemed “critical” to stop them from leaving, four people with knowledge of the conversations said. He sent out confusing messages about the company’s remote work policy, appearing to soften his stance on not allowing people to work from home before warning their managers, according to those people and internal emails viewed by The New York Times.

All the while, two people said, resignations started to roll in. By the deadline, 5 p.m. Eastern time, hundreds of Twitter employees appeared to have decided to depart with three months of severance pay, the people said. Twitter later announced via email that it would close “our office buildings” and disable employee badge access until Monday.

The exits added to the turmoil at Twitter since Mr. Musk, 51, completed his $44 billion takeover last month. The billionaire has laid off half of Twitter’s 7,500 full-time workers, fired dissenters and told employees that they need to be “extremely hard core” to make the company a success.

On Wednesday, Mr. Musk gave Twitter’s remaining employees just under 36 hours to leave or commit to building “a breakthrough Twitter 2.0.” Those who departed would get the three months of severance pay, he said. He positioned the move as a way to make the company the most competitive it could be, though the action also provided an opportunity to further cut costs and purge the firm of disaffected workers.

The shedding of so many employees in such a compressed period has raised questions about how Twitter will keep operating effectively. While Mr. Musk has brought in some engineers and managers from his other companies, such as the electric automaker Tesla, many of them are just coming up to speed on how the social media service works, five people said..."
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/17/tech ... google.com
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Twitter

Post by Volkonski »

RIP Twitter. :(
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Twitter

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:29 am RIP Twitter. :(
All the while, two people said, resignations started to roll in. By the deadline, 5 p.m. Eastern time, hundreds of Twitter employees appeared to have decided to depart with three months of severance pay, the people said. Twitter later announced via email that it would close “our office buildings” and disable employee badge access until Monday.
:guntootin: :rockon: :wave:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Twitter

Post by Foggy »

There are two authors in Oz that I talk to on Twitter. I have been a member for many years, and it has been a miracle in my life.

I hate this. :mad:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Gregg

Twitter

Post by Gregg »

I am not the management genius that Elmo is, but if you literally have to lock all your employees out of the building because you're afraid of what they might do, I can't figure out how it's a good thing.

If you're not even sure how many of them still work for you, it's not much better.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
pipistrelle

Twitter

Post by pipistrelle »

Gregg wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:50 am I am not the management genius that Elmo is, but if you literally have to lock all your employees out of the building because you're afraid of what they might do, I can't figure out how it's a good thing.

If you're not even sure how many of them still work for you, it's not much better.
Or who they are.

Any possibility of some kind of class action suit?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

also too by The Guardian
Twitter ‘closes offices’ after Elon Musk’s loyalty oath sparks wave of resignations
The tech company is struggling to retain workers after Musk demanded employees sign a pledge to work ‘long hours at high intensity’

Josh Taylor and agencies
Fri 18 Nov 2022 04.02 GMT

The crisis at Twitter reached new heights on Friday as hundreds of employees were reported to have rejected Elon Musk’s ultimatum to keep working for the business, threatening its ability to keep operating.

As the company temporarily closed its offices to staff, Twitter users began saying their goodbyes and linking to accounts on other platforms.

#RIPTwitter, #TwitterDown, Mastodon and Myspace were all trending on the platform after the deadline passed on Musk’s ultimatum for the remaining workforce to sign up for “long hours at high intensity”, or leave. It has been estimated that hundreds of the remaining staff opted to go.

The departures include many engineers responsible for fixing bugs and preventing service outages, raising questions about the stability of the platform amid the loss of employees and prompting hurried debates among managers over who should be asked to return, current and former employees said.

In an early sign that the number of those declining to sign was greater than anticipated, Musk eased off a return-to-office mandate he had issued a week ago, telling employees on Thursday they would be allowed to work remotely if their managers asserted they were making “an excellent contribution”.

Twitter later announced via email that it would close “our office buildings” and disable employee badge access until Monday, the New York Times reported.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... signations
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:42 am He’ll do the MAGA thing of hiring second and third tier engineers and it will all go boom anyway but now MAGAtinfested.
With the side effect that none knows the intellectual property hidden in the code and will mess up the code snippets they work on cause they miss the greater picture and Twitter will break, a screetching brake. :blackeye:
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:07 pm For completeness, the hardcore email:
Build a breakthru Twitter 2.0? Yeah - that "heavyweight" is already breaking thru the floors like the Twin Towers :blackeye:
RTH10260

Twitter

Post by RTH10260 »

Gregg wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:50 am I am not the management genius that Elmo is, but if you literally have to lock all your employees out of the building because you're afraid of what they might do, I can't figure out how it's a good thing.

Will he still have competent ones that will vet the ones that think to remain? Cause their ma be a black sheep among them ....

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”