The Stupid - It Burns!

Volkonski

Re: The Stupid - It Burns!

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:34 pm

Used Google street view and pretended to be a truck. There are at least 6 yellow caution signs leading up to the crossing starting a few blocks before the RR bridge. There are also white signs at the last two intersections telling vehicles over 11' 8" to turn now. There are also yellow 11' 8" caution signs on the crossing road to alert turning drivers. The speed limit on those roads is 25 MPH.

There is a street level RR crossing just one block to the left so that high vehicles are only slightly inconvenienced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/11_foot_8_Bridge
The 11 foot 8 Bridge, formally known as the Norfolk Southern–Gregson Street Overpass, is a railroad bridge in Durham, North Carolina, United States, that has attracted media coverage and popular attention because tall vehicles such as trucks and RVs frequently collide with the abnormally low overpass, resulting in damage ranging from RV roof air conditioners being scraped off to entire truck roofs being removed.[1] The 78-year-old bridge along South Gregson Street provides only 11 feet 8 inches (3.56 m) of vertical clearance.[2] It cannot be raised, because nearby railroad crossings would also have to be raised with it. The street also cannot be lowered, because a major sewer line runs only four feet (1.2 m) under Gregson Street.[3]

Despite numerous signs and warning devices, a truck crashes into the bridge on average at least once a month. Most of the crashes involve rental trucks, even though the truck rental agencies warn renters about the under-height bridges in the area.

Jürgen Henn, who works in a nearby office, mounted a video camera to record the crashes. Since April 2008, he has recorded over 100 crashes, and posted them on YouTube.[4] In less than a year after installing his camera, the videos attracted the attention of a local TV station,[5] and eventually progressed to international media attention.[6] The bridge is only one of several under-height bridges in the area that trucks frequently crash into;[7] however, the videos became viral, and brought this particular bridge to international media attention, including front-page coverage in The Wall Street Journal,[6] and on an episode of the Comedy Central show Tosh.0.

Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:35 pm

We have 3 of those here in town. One is 10'8" at Gallatin and Porter and gets hit all the time. Another is 13' and the road has been lowered once, so now it floods every time it rains, and a car gets stuck. The worst one is 8'11" and really narrow. About 30 years ago, a house just across from that one caught fire and the fire trucks couldn't get through but going around meant they got stopped by the train. It took so long for the trucks to get there the house burned to the ground and the city settled for a shit pot of money.

Every rental truck I've ever driven has the height posted multiple places within the driver's line of sight, including on the mirrors.

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:44 pm

Or, they could just ban high clearance vehicles from that route altogether.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:52 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:44 pm
Technically they have. The signs instruct high clearance vehicles to turn onto cross streets at least 2 block before the RR crossing. How do you enforce that? There are businesses on that cross street that need to get deliveries. Actually there is an 11' 4" RR crossing not far from this one on the same rail line but it doesn't have its own website. ;)

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:22 pm

LL poster wrote:Honey, I Think We Have a Flat Tire

No, snoogums. We have a flat flat flat flat tire.

Tracked the pavement scars all through the surrounding neighborhood. He put some miles on it to do this much damage to it. Obliterated the left rear and the right front shows considerable damage to the wheel well from the rubber flapping at speed.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:26 pm

Ummmm... BMW puts run-flats on all their cars. This may be a used car where the previous owner fitted regular tires.

Mnoho lidí se za našeho prezidenta stydí.

Žluté vlasy se k oranžové tváři nehodí.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:40 pm

ZekeB wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:26 pm
Ummmm... BMW puts run-flats on all their cars. This may be a used car where the previous owner fitted regular tires.
Not the Bangle-butted 745is. Regular tires.

Whip

Post by Whip » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:23 am

ZekeB wrote:
it appears very used by the headlight lenses.

DejaMoo

Post by DejaMoo » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:10 pm

Notorial Dissent wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:29 pm
In their defense, I would suspect that most people who do not habitually drive something large, like a high clearance vehicle that they really have no sense of just how much vehicle there is over their heads. They are used to driving low profile vehicles and that is where their mind set is.
Yabbut, every big rental truck has honkin' big sign in large print and red letters on the dash and on the visor, saying something to the effect of "WARNING! Minimum overpass height of (whatever)! Driver is responsible for all damage to the truck if it strikes an overpass." You can't NOT see the warning. (Not to mention they lecture you when you pick up the truck.)

The reality is, if you spend any time watching other drivers, most drivers are mostly-to-completely oblivious to their surroundings. Think I'm kidding? Next time you see a "Lane closed" sign coming up, or spot a squad car on the side of the road, watch how long it takes many of the drivers ahead of you to realize it.

Another thing about rental trucks: a lot of times they're used by small local businesses who can't afford the expense of owning their own truck. Those small businesses sometimes hire sketchy people to do things that don't require much brains - like making deliveries in a rental truck. Problem is, as soon as they're out of the boss's sight they're likely to be goofing off, smoking some reefer, or having a drink. When they get into an accident/get caught damaging property, or stealing, they just disappear, and the company is on the hook for the damages. That happened many a time at my former job, because the owner stubbornly insisted on hiring ex-cons and other losers from a day-labor service, or even hiring them for cash after meeting them on the street.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:22 pm

Heh. Now you know the answer to why don't I start helpers at minimum wage.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Jez

Post by Jez » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:36 pm

When I moved from Texas to Ohio, I was overly paranoid about the height of the truck vs. height of the bridges. If I remember correctly, the clearance was 12 ft, or somewhere thereabouts. I planned a route where no bridge was lower than 14 ft.

I have learned silence from the talkative, toleration from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind; yet, strange, I am ungrateful to those teachers.

~Khalil Gibran

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:05 pm

Just checked the RR overpass near our summer cottage on the North Fork. It has been there since the 1840s. It is 10' 3".

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.9444315 ... 1664?hl=en

Now that I think about it someone shot a scene for a TV show there a couple of years ago. In the show part of the plot was that a truck or bus got stuck there. I do not recall that anything has gotten stuck there in real life. However it does look low and narrow when you drive up to it so perhaps drivers are careful. The 11' 8" one might be just high enough to make drivers think they can clear it.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:52 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:40 pm
ZekeB wrote:
The what?

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:31 pm

Jez wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:36 pm
When I moved from Texas to Ohio, I was overly paranoid about the height of the truck vs. height of the bridges. If I remember correctly, the clearance was 12 ft, or somewhere thereabouts. I planned a route where no bridge was lower than 14 ft.
In Boston, we call that “Storrowed” after the low bridges on Storrow Drive. Used to catch multiple idiots every Fall when the students arrived. A few years ago, they put up a sign at the rotary before the entrance to Storrow. The sign had chains that hung at the height of the lowest bridge and would drag across the top of any too-tall vehicles. Also the contact would light up signs saying too tall. I’ve only seen one such sign, at the Museum of Science side of Storrow, though.
Edit: But we still get trucks every year, in spite of all the warnings. More details https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/ ... story.html

"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:49 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:05 pm
Just checked the RR overpass near our summer cottage on the North Fork. It has been there since the 1840s. It is 10' 3". :snippity:

The 11' 8" one might be just high enough to make drivers think they can clear it.
Especially if they drive through real fast!
Whatever4 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:52 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
ZekeB wrote:
The what?
http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/01/21/bangle-butt/

JohnPCapitalist
Occupation: Investment management in the financial industry. Deep knowledge of stocks, tech and economics.

Post by JohnPCapitalist » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:04 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:52 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
ZekeB wrote:
The what?
Named after BMW's chief designer of the time, Chris Bangle. The previous generation was criticized as being too conservative, so he went a little overboard in the wrong direction. The 2003 BMW was basically the German manufacturer's answer to the Pontiac Aztek as far as a complete botch. In addition to the ugly back end, it featured an integrated electronics console that was probably 3 years away from prime time, with tons of bizarre bugs and usability issues. The 2003-2004 or 2005 models were horrendous for other types of reliability; several colleagues and clients at the time who had them were not happy campers, to put it mildly. I don't recall what it did for their sales but it can't have been good.

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:45 pm

It looks truncated. 8-)

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

qbawl

Post by qbawl » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:06 pm

RoadScholar wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:45 pm
It looks truncated. 8-)
:yeah:
I see what you did there.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:09 pm

-- Sen. King (R-ME)

Larky K' Chamcha

Post by Larky K' Chamcha » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:51 pm

Whatever4 wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:09 pm
Another truck Storrowed. http://www.wcvb.com/article/this-storro ... u/15087728
I thought at first reading that "storrowed" was a confection of "stolen" and "borrowed" and the report would be something similar to Kenneth Medenbach's "storrowing" of a truck belonging to Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in January 2016.

Now I know better!

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:48 am

Notorial Dissent wrote:
That is how the low bridges on Robert Moses’ parkways from Connecticut and Westchester County to the city are protected. It also makes the parkways more pleasant to drive than the Interstates.

That does not prevent box trucks from trying once in a while. Drivers flood 911 with reports then, but sometimes the.truckers make it before the state troopers.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:31 am

Volkonski wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:34 pm
Used Google street view and pretended to be a truck.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:35 am

TollandRCR wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:48 am
Notorial Dissent wrote:
That is how the low bridges on Robert Moses’ parkways from Connecticut and Westchester County to the city are protected. It also makes the parkways more pleasant to drive than the Interstates.

That does not prevent box trucks from trying once in a while. Drivers flood 911 with reports then, but sometimes the.truckers make it before the state troopers.
Same with the Northern and Southern State Parkways on Long Island.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:37 pm

Volkonski wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:35 am
TollandRCR wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:48 am
Notorial Dissent wrote:

Same with the Northern and Southern State Parkways on Long Island.
Try to take a commercial vehicle, of any height, on the Natchez Trace and watch the Park Rangers come out of the woodwork. The law that says "no commercial vehicles" means NONE and the NPS will have a dozen calls come in before the offender's blinker clicks off. It's sort of a pain in the ass on the parts that go through town, but it is heavily enforced. And a federal ticket is not only a pain, it's a very expensive pain, plus the cost of the tow.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:49 pm

How to Become TripAdvisor’s #1 Fake Restaurant
Published on 22 Jan 2018

The Shed at Dulwich was the number one rated restaurant in London, with foodies, celebrities and bloggers trying to get a table. The main obstacle for them, however, was that it didn't exist. Over the course of 8 months VICE's Oobah Butler used an assault of fake reviews to get his 'restaurant' to the hallowed top spot on TripAdvisor.

With his phone perpetually ringing, PR agencies begging to represent it and TV crews pitching shows, Oobah decided he had no choice but to open its doors for one night only. Here is Oobah's journey into a false reality that captured the world's attention.

Return to “Teh Funny Stuffs”