Hijack this thread

MsDaisy

Re: Hijack this thread

Post by MsDaisy » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:25 am

Geesh, how much time and energy over the entire 8 years of Obama’s presidency was taken up wif birfing I wonder? And currently Republicans are outraged at the thought of anyone even suggesting an investigation into Trump and his campaign’s already well documented Russia connections by all 17 National Security agencies. :think:

Birfers are toast

HilltownGrrl

Post by HilltownGrrl » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:30 am

(from The Guardian article about Scott Brown)

"...the ambassador’s behaviour was “shocking”, “culturally insensitive”, “rude” and “undiplomatic”.

Color me so (not) surprised at this behavior by my former senator. :roll: :doh:

ETA: I'm so glad he moved to NH so we can now deny all knowledge of him. :twisted:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:43 am

HilltownGrrl wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:30 am

"...the ambassador’s behaviour was “shocking”, “culturally insensitive”, “rude” and “undiplomatic”.

ETA: I'm so glad he moved to NH so we can now deny all knowledge of him. :twisted:
After each POTUS election it is fun to see what characters from the pool of donors are assigned as ambassador to what country. Other nations usually take their countries representatives from the pool of trained career diplomats. :doh:

HilltownGrrl

Post by HilltownGrrl » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:49 am

RTH10260 wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:43 am
HilltownGrrl wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:30 am

After each POTUS election it is fun to see what characters from the pool of donors are assigned as ambassador to what country. Other nations usually take their countries representatives from the pool of trained career diplomats. :doh:
Training? We're 'Muricans. We don't need no stinkin' training. Adjust to us or suck it, bitches.
:sarcastic:

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:54 pm

Joseph Kennedy was FDR’s ambassador to the Court of St. James while Hitler was consolidating his power in Germany. Kennedy was convinced that the UK was doomed. Whether he was the Fascist that Henry Ford was is an open question.

William Edward Dodd, ambassor to Germany before Kennedy, was in favor of an early US entry into the war. The professional diplomats of the State Department fought this professor of history, who took his PhD from the University of Leipzig. Initially anti-Semitic, he urged FDR to intervene on behalf of the Jews of Germany, without success. Unable to sway either the State Department or FDR, he resigned. Members of Congress had called for his ouster.

Had we followed the European practice of selecting ambassadors from the State Department, we might have declared war only on Japan.

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:03 am

Wait, I thought Germany declared war against us first, which made it easier to declare war against Germany. :confused:

... and how does that make you feel?
What is it you're trying to say?
:think:

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:18 am

How would i find out if someone is a Mason? Not the folks who work with stone, the other kind. Any membership lists?

Thanks for any info.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:17 am

:yeah: :prettyplease: I'm hoping to track down some info on my grandfathers, who were Masons, and my mom who belonged to the Eastern Star.

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:46 am

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:59 am

GreatGrey wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:46 am
https:// twitter.com/BerinSzoka/status/923739719200100352

The Law Review article: https://www.law.ua.edu/acrcl/files/2017 ... _DILDO.pdf
It will take some time to study all those footnotes :lol:

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:35 am

Lani wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:17 am
:yeah: :prettyplease: I'm hoping to track down some info on my grandfathers, who were Masons, and my mom who belonged to the Eastern Star.
The google has some Mason genealogy sites which might work for you. I am looking for some Mason connections between law enforcement, prosecutors and a defendant.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:23 am

My son Alex has his first trimester finals next week at the School of Science and Math. They have de-stressing activities scheduled, like playing with puppies and doing yoga. They didn't do that in my high school in 1971. This calls for some serious teasing when he finishes the exams and comes home.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:06 pm

Foggy wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:23 am
My son Alex has his first trimester finals next week at the School of Science and Math. They have de-stressing activities scheduled, like playing with puppies and doing yoga. They didn't do that in my high school in 1971. This calls for some serious teasing when he finishes the exams and comes home.
:fingerwag: Don't. You. Dare.
► Show Spoiler

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:31 pm

Did Harvard do puppies and yoga during finals week when you were there, some time before the Civil War? :blink:

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:57 pm

Does anyone else think there are some yuge (and weird) holes in the story of the two women rescued at sea? For instance - they said their mast was damaged but they still had a gib and rudder so why were they drifting? At one point they said they found Kiribati but couldn't moor because it was too shallow (never mind freaking cruise ships dock at Kiribati) but why didn't they call for help? Why did they pack two water purifiers and no emergency beacon? Who goes sailing without navigation equipment - did they even have a compass? They said they hit tropical storm-strength winds within a day of leaving, but who sails without checking the weather report? They said their mast broke during that first storm when they were only a day out, so why didn't they turn back then to get it fixed? And what about their claim that 30 foot tiger sharks were attacking in a pod, despite the fact that no tiger shark in the history of ever has grown that big (an exceptionally large tiger shark is 14 feet) and tiger sharks are solitary and don't swim or hunt in pods? They claim they were nearly out of food and within 24 hours of death but they were clearly not starving and they were literally surrounded by fish (not to mention the two dogs if things really got desperate). I could go on. Their account doesn't make sense. I wonder if their food was all covered in some fungus that acts as a drug and makes you delusional.

As someone on a sailing forum my husband frequents said, "If you're lost in the Pacific you either head west or east, and sooner or later you'll hit land."

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:07 pm

I wonder if they are prior wives of Joshua Boyle. They seem to have his gift of unconvincing bullshit.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:54 pm

That drug is "viral 15 minutes of fame."

I don't go for a walk without checking the weather. I'd never go near a boat without checking the maritime report. YMMV.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:06 pm

People on sailing forums have checked the weather records in Hawaii around their departure. There were no storms. There were winds around 30 knots but a boat that size should've been able to handle them just fine. There were no strong winds as per their claim. The closest winds that were as strong as they claimed they faced were in Alaska.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:08 pm

maydijo wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:06 pm
People on sailing forums have checked the weather records in Hawaii around their departure. There were no storms. There were winds around 30 knots but a boat that size should've been able to handle them just fine. There were no strong winds as per their claim. The closest winds that were as strong as they claimed they faced were in Alaska.
Well, they were really off course then! That'll happen when you don't have even a compass. :)

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:13 pm

I'm not saying this was a stunt, it's possible they were just completely clueless and didn't know the first thing about sailing. (I cannot believe she was planning for two years, and didn't think to take a satellite phone or emergency beacons). But either way, they are adults and they are free to take risks with their own lives. But they have no right doing that to those poor dogs. If you don't know what you're doing, leave the innocents at home.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:23 pm

Foggy wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:23 am
When did you start throwing snowflakes rather than snowballs :?: :shock:

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:33 pm

maydijo wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:13 pm
I'm not saying this was a stunt, it's possible they were just completely clueless and didn't know the first thing about sailing. (I cannot believe she was planning for two years, and didn't think to take a satellite phone or emergency beacons). But either way, they are adults and they are free to take risks with their own lives. But they have no right doing that to those poor dogs. If you don't know what you're doing, leave the innocents at home.
They told the Navy that they survived because they had packed a water purifier and enough food for a year, mostly dried goods like oatmeal and pasta.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-sai ... story.html
Now that's a true sailors diet when one has only warm sea water to soften the spaghetti and macaroni, and cold porridge for weeks softened with cold briney water does not make a good birchermüesli. Where are all those lemons to prevent scorbut on the year long trip? Where is the rice to make sushi from caught fish? :doh:

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:51 pm

maydijo wrote:
But either way, they are adults and they are free to take risks with their own lives.
That's not always true. Rescuers can tell you harrowing tales about "hikers" who went into the Wave in Arizona or canyons or mountains with a bottle of water before bad weather, etc., and then said they just expected to be rescued if they ran into trouble. The rescue teams don't mind rescuing people who prepared and know what they're doing but run into bad luck (sudden storm, etc., or a fall), but they hate hate hate going after Yuppies who expect help when they do something stupid. ("We forgot to bring water. Ooops. Can you just rappel down here and drop some off?")

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:54 pm

pipistrelle wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:51 pm
maydijo wrote:
But either way, they are adults and they are free to take risks with their own lives.
That's not always true. Rescuers can tell you harrowing tales about "hikers" who went into the Wave in Arizona or canyons or mountains with a bottle of water before bad weather, etc., and then said they just expected to be rescued if they ran into trouble. The rescue teams don't mind rescuing people who prepared and know what they're doing but run into bad luck (sudden storm, etc., or a fall), but they hate hate hate going after Yuppies who expect help when they do something stupid. ("We forgot to bring water. Ooops. Can you just rappel down here and drop some off?")
Excellent point. I stand corrected.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:00 am

I woke up this morning thinking the Democrats (and whatever Republicans want to) in Congress should make a pledge to integrity that specifically lays out not bullying, not lying, etc., like a 10-year-old, and then prove that they are living up to by setting that tone on Twitter, in interviews, etc. And not being afraid to politely point out any behaviors that don't live up to it. Yeah, that's what was in my head while I was sleeping.

Return to “The Lounge”