Congressman Steve King (R-IA 04)

Joseph Robidoux III

Postby Joseph Robidoux III » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:02 pm

This congresscritter deserves his own thread. Similar to Sen Rand Paul, you never know what stupidity is going to come out of his mouth next.

Steve King insisted again Thursday that undocumented immigrant children are often drug mules who carry illegal substances across the border from Mexico, but this time he did it on the House floor.Despite a firestorm of criticism — including another rebuke from Speaker John A. Boehner Thursday morning — the Iowa Republican defended his comments last week that such children have “calves the size of cantaloupes” as a result of carrying drugs across the border.[/break1]rollcall.com/goppers/steve-king-keeps-calling-immigrant-kids-drug-smugglers/]http://blogs.rollcall.com/goppers/steve ... smugglers/

A video of King's floor remarks is available at the above link.

pitbullsigh

Postby pitbullsigh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:21 pm

hes a superstar among nutbag teabaggers.the yardstick by which other crazies should be measured.he also compared immigrants to animals and then insisted it was a compliment.I cant imagine what of his might be the size of canteloupes for him to say and do the things he does. :shock:

Sterngard Friegen

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:00 pm

The Dems will make him the new face of the Republican Party come 2014.Keep it up King.

SueDB

Postby SueDB » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:04 pm

The Dems will make him the new face of the Republican Party come 2014.Keep it up King.

If the Dems know what is good for them. :yeah: There are a couple of others out there too. I'm hoping good ole boy Ted Nugent gets out there salivating to the masses.
"Scientific Research: A whole lotta tedious attention to detail followed
by a lovely payoff too esoteric for your friends to understand."
anon--

Joseph Robidoux III

Postby Joseph Robidoux III » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:35 pm

Democrats appear ready to make Congressman Steve King the face (and mouth) of the Republican Party.

Sens. Richard J. Durbin, D-Ill., and Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, will travel to the district of Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, to hold a forum for the DREAM Act.The event is in response to incendiary remarks made by King last week, when the conservative congressman suggested to Newsmax that many students who qualify for the DREAM Act are criminals. “For everyone who’s a valedictorian, there’s another 100 out there who weigh 130 pounds — and they’ve got calves the size of cantaloupes because they’re hauling 75 pounds of marijuana across the desert,” King said.Durbin said at the time he believed King should meet a few DREAM Act students to see if interacting with them might change his mind. Now it appears that instead of waiting for King to take the proactive steps of doing so, the Illinois Democrat will bring the students to him.“It troubles me and it is heartbreaking to think that these DREAMers — these young people who are simply asking for a chance to be part of the United States — would be characterized as dope smugglers and drug smugglers,” Durbin continued in his floor remarks. “Obviously, Congressman King has never read the DREAM Act because if you have ever been convicted of a crime, you cannot be approved through the DREAM Act for citizenship — not a serious crime. That is part of the law. [highlight=#ffbf00]He should know better, but I am not sure that he cares.[/highlight][/break1]rollcall.com/wgdb/steve-kings-district-will-get-dream-rally-courtesy-of-durbin-harkin/]http://blogs.rollcall.com/wgdb/steve-ki ... in-harkin/

Sterngard Friegen

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:44 pm

Striking when the iron is hot.

Joseph Robidoux III

Postby Joseph Robidoux III » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:50 pm

I don't know what plum [/break1]house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3960&Itemid=300119]committee assignment Congressman King would like to have after the 2014 elections but my guess is he won't get it. Speaker Boehner could decide to kick King off the House Judiciary Committee which would also remove King from the Subcommittee on Immigration & Border Security.

A day after issuing a written statement critical of King’s comments about immigrant children, Boehner used the opening of his weekly Capitol press conference to call out the Iowa Republican once more, this time by name and with the cameras rolling.

“I want to be clear: There’s no place in this debate for hateful or ignorant comments from elected officials,” Boehner said. “Earlier this week, Rep. Steve King made comments that I think were deeply offensive and wrong. [highlight=#ffff00]What he said does not reflect the values of the American people or the Republican Party[/highlight], and we all need to do our work in an open, constructive and respectful way. As I’ve said many times, we can disagree without being disagreeable.”

[/break1]com/homenews/house/313495-boehner-of-course-king-remarks-make-moving-immigration-reform-more-difficult]http://thehill.com/homenews/house/31349 ... -difficult

Unless King can produce a believable mea culpa, which I doubt, his chances of being able to win any state-wide Iowa race will take a big hit. King probably won't discover this until a few days after Sen Grassley announces his retirement and polls about Grassley's successor are published.

Sterngard Friegen

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:43 pm

King's comments, in fact, exactly correspond to the prejudices of a large number of House Republicans and a couple of Senate Republicans. That's why the Dems will be able to make hay* out of this.*Hay is a grass, with mostly cellulose, not a grain. (Except for the seeds.) So I approve.

Foggy

Postby Foggy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:35 pm

They weigh 130 lbs. and they can carry 75 lbs. of weed?Here's what 75 lbs. of weed looks like. http://www.newrepublic.com/sites/default/files/u36171/1317646207-img_0886.jpgHow do you figure they manage it? :-k
Show me, show me, show me how you do that trick! The one that makes me scream, she said.

listeme

Postby listeme » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:36 pm

Strong calves, right?
Say what you mean.

magdalen77

Postby magdalen77 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Strong calves, right?

And maybe a grocery cart to put it in.

Joseph Robidoux III

Postby Joseph Robidoux III » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:05 am

More than a dozen activists gathered on Capitol Hill on Thursday bearing gifts: cantaloupes — 224 of them.Volunteers with United Farm Workers, United We Dream and America’s Voice are spending the day delivering these heavy, ovoid fruits to the office of every House member who voted for Rep. Steve King’s amendent to the Homeland Security appropriations bill blocking a White House directive to halt deportation of young undocumented immigrants brought to the country illegally by their parents — the “DREAMers.”“Immigrants are actually doing back-breaking work on out nation’s farms to bring cantaloupes and other crops to America’s grocery stores and breakfast tables every day,” the activists’ press release countered.Each cantaloupe has been afixed with printed notes: “This cantaloupe was picked by immigrants in California” and “you gave Steve King a vote. Give us a vote for citizenship.”[/break1]rollcall.com/goppers/cantaloupes-delivered-to-gop-backers-of-king-amendment/]http://blogs.rollcall.com/goppers/canta ... amendment/

The UFW stated the cantaloupes were harvested by immigrants.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Postby Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:01 am

Stephen Colbert had a great clip about this the other night on his show.

verbalobe

Postby verbalobe » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:32 am

Here's what 75 lbs. of weed looks like. [imgwidth=300]http://www.newrepublic.com/sites/default/files/u36171/1317646207-img_0886.jpg[/imgwidth]

Dang, Foggy.You have any idea how distracting that is? I'm trying to work here. :dontwanttolook: :notlistening: :-#

Joseph Robidoux III

Postby Joseph Robidoux III » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:24 pm

On their first day of August recess, Sens. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) held a forum in [Congressman Steve] King's district at Ames Middle School with pro-immigration reform advocates and undocumented youths, known as Dreamers. The senators condemned King's comparison of Dreamers to drug smugglers.

Durbin, a member of the Senate's immigration "gang of eight", was the original sponsor of the decade-old Dream Act, legislation that gives legal status to undocumented young immigrants.

Harkin quoted from the Tarrance Group, a conservative research firm, that found 69 percent of voters in Iowa's 4th Congressional District favor comprehensive immigration reform. Sixty-five percent of those polled support an earned pathway to citizenship.

[/break1]huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/02/dick-durbin-tom-harkin-immigration_n_3697360.html]http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/0 ... 97360.html

I hope Democrats continue to portray King as the face (and mouth) of the Republican Party.

TexasFilly

Postby TexasFilly » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:51 pm

So this fool held an anti-immigration rally in Virginia. The turnout was reminiscent of Carl Swennson's pitchfork rally. Full pics at:[/break1]dailykos.com/story/2013/08/14/1231195/-Almost-Nobody-Shows-Up-for-Steve-King-s-Anti-Immigration-Rally-in-VA]http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/08/1 ... ally-in-VA

Skip Intro

Postby Skip Intro » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:05 pm

That pic looks like one taken at the last Free Republic rally in D.C.

DaveMuckey

Postby DaveMuckey » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:34 pm

I never thought he could expand his assholyness, but I was mistaken.

[link]Critics warn of farm bill's impact,http://goo.gl/JJuVt2[/link]King’s proposal — included in the House’s farm bill — would prevent one state from imposing “a standard or condition on the production or manufacture of any agricultural product” in a different state — especially if the activity is subject to federal, state or local laws and regulations.The idea behind King’s proposal is this: If, for instance, Oregon requires pork to come from pigs raised in a humane way, then Oregon is in effect telling an Iowa hog farmer looking to supply Oregon’s restaurants how to raise his animals. But Iowa law already regulates pig farms in that state, making Oregon’s law an infringement.Critics say the King proposal is so vaguely worded that it could ban state and local laws covering virtually everything dealing with agriculture, meat and seafood production and even pets, and prevent a state from passing laws protecting its own citizens.The problem is that federal law defines an agricultural product broadly. It encompasses plants, farm animals, forest or dairy products, livestock, poultry, bees and fish and products derived from them, according to the Humane Society.

Gratuitous Goat Shothttp://cmsimg.statesmanjournal.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=J0&Date=20130814&Category=NEWS&ArtNo=308140041&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Critics-warn-farm-bill-s-reach

Sterngard Friegen

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Anything from the Humane Society of the U.S. is suspect. It is little more than a grifting PR organization.

Estiveo

Postby Estiveo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:12 pm

Anything from the Humane Society of the U.S. is suspect. It is little more than a grifting PR organization.

True dat, but I don't think they kill as many animals as those hypocritical eco-terrorists at PETA. [-(
"Holy f**k, Ted Cruz's voice sounds like every straight man's ex-wife." --The Rude Pundit

Sterngard Friegen

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:43 pm

HSUS sucks in a lot more money than PETA. PETA used to be the terrorist arm of HSUS, a political action organization. Neither of them does squat for animals. Not a dime for shelters or animal welfare. (Local humane associations are not related to HSUS, which is a scam.)

Whatever4

Postby Whatever4 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:52 pm

HSUS sucks in a lot more money than PETA. PETA used to be the terrorist arm of HSUS, a political action organization. Neither of them does squat for animals. Not a dime for shelters or animal welfare. (Local humane associations are not related to HSUS, which is a scam.)

What about the SPCA local branches? We donate to the folks who found Ellie.

Estiveo

Postby Estiveo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:57 pm

Local SPCA: Good. HSUS and PETA: Bad. Trouble comes from a local SPCA affiliated shelter. Megs from a slightly dysfunctional No-Kill shelter.That said, this may be one of the quickest threadjacks involving kittehs and goggies EVAH![edit]TYPO! (I said bone.)[/edit]
"Holy f**k, Ted Cruz's voice sounds like every straight man's ex-wife." --The Rude Pundit

Sterngard Friegen

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:30 am

What about the SPCA local branches? We donate to the folks who found Ellie.

The fpoon man is correct. Local SPCAs are good. HSUS and PETA are propagandists for veganism.

Return to “Congress”