Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Sterngard Friegen

Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:31 pm

I hope someone fights the take down notices. Fair use is an appropriate response.

A Legal Lohengrin

Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Postby A Legal Lohengrin » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:57 pm

I hope sometime fights the take down notices. Fair use is an appropriate response.

From a legal standpoint, all anyone has to do is issue a DMCA counter notification. The purpose of this process is basically to provide the ISP immunity if suit is actually filed.Due to the [/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect]Streisand effect, though, what actually happens is dozens of other people put up the same video again. The more the fake copyright claimant attempts to suppress it, the more it spreads. Sort of like stomping toadstools.

GreatGrey

Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Postby GreatGrey » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:38 pm

KTVU producers fired over Asiana pilots' fake names

KTVU-TV has dismissed at least three veteran producers over the on-air gaffe involving the fake names of those Asiana airline pilots that became an instant YouTube hit - and a major embarrassment to the station.

[/break1]sfchronicle.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/KTVU-producers-fired-over-Asiana-pilots-fake-4685627.php]http://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/mati ... 685627.php.

Sterngard Friegen

Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:59 pm

:(( Wun Hung Low.

Foggy

Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Postby Foggy » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:01 pm

SFgate requires a subscription. Last time I visit that site.
Show me, show me, show me how you do that trick! The one that makes me scream, she said.

mimi

Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Postby mimi » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:03 pm

I hope sometime fights the take down notices. Fair use is an appropriate response.

From a legal standpoint, all anyone has to do is issue a DMCA counter notification. The purpose of this process is basically to provide the ISP immunity if suit is actually filed.Due to the [/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect]Streisand effect, though, what actually happens is dozens of other people put up the same video again. The more the fake copyright claimant attempts to suppress it, the more it spreads. Sort of like stomping toadstools.

Yep.And at the link GG posted:

The station manager wants to censor a video while claiming he isn't censoring it, as though yanking it from YouTube with admittedly bogus DCMA takedowns is just part of being a good, sensitive citizen. But by doing this, Raponi is only making it worse. If he just could have left it alone for a few more weeks, something else would have come along to take its place in the publi— OMG! Someone in England had a baby!But now he's blown it.This is the internet. No one puts embarrassment in the corner.

As for the firings, why didn't the anchor get canned? At what point did Tori realize that Capt. Sum Ting Wong, Wi Tu Lo, Ho Lee Fuk and Bang Ding Ow weren't real names? #-o

ZekeB

Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Postby ZekeB » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:39 pm

As for the firings, why didn't the anchor get canned? At what point did Tori realize that Capt. Sum Ting Wong, Wi Tu Lo, Ho Lee Fuk and Bang Ding Ow weren't real names? #-o

I believe this is a Fox affiliate, mimi. Need I say more at all?"At all" added because Foggy said I could.

Emma

Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Postby Emma » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:34 pm

This is the internet. No one puts embarrassment in the corner.

This is purely awesome.

Maybenaut

Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Postby Maybenaut » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:45 am

I saw the video just once but as I recall it didn't look like she recognized the names were bogus while she was reading them.

I watched it a couple of times -- it looked to me like she clued in right as she was reading the last one. There's this slight catch in her voice, but she covered. I read that the source of the names came from someone they had trusted in the past. I wonder if they'll out the source.

esseff44

Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Postby esseff44 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:07 pm

This is not really about the crash anymore but the stupid reporting that followed. Here is a column by one of the conservatives on the staff of the Chronicle who knew some of the people involved and who were fired. I don't agree with her much about anything but she has some insights to the situation. Being too busy may be the reason they did not notice the names were fake, but it is no excuse.[/break1]sfgate.com/djsaunders/2013/07/26/whats-wrong-with-this-news-the-ktvu-purge/]http://blog.sfgate.com/djsaunders/2013/ ... tvu-purge/Although this is a Fox affliliate, their local news coverage is as good and sometimes better than the other stations. At least they do more of it.[/break1]sfgate.com/djsaunders/2013/07/26/whats-wrong-with-this-news-the-ktvu-purge/]http://blog.sfgate.com/djsaunders/2013/ ... tvu-purge/

Maybenaut

Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Postby Maybenaut » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:58 pm

This is not really about the crash anymore but the stupid reporting that followed. Here is a column by one of the conservatives on the staff of the Chronicle who knew some of the people involved and who were fired. I don't agree with her much about anything but she has some insights to the situation. Being too busy may be the reason they did not notice the names were fake, but it is no excuse.[/break1]sfgate.com/djsaunders/2013/07/26/whats-wrong-with-this-news-the-ktvu-purge/]http://blog.sfgate.com/djsaunders/2013/ ... tvu-purge/Although this is a Fox affliliate, their local news coverage is as good and sometimes better than the other stations. At least they do more of it.[/break1]sfgate.com/djsaunders/2013/07/26/whats-wrong-with-this-news-the-ktvu-purge/]http://blog.sfgate.com/djsaunders/2013/ ... tvu-purge/

I watched Channel 2 when I lived in Alameda. I thought it was very good. Back then, though, FOX was relatively new and it didn't seem as hard to the right as it does now.

June bug

Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Postby June bug » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:25 pm

I watched KTVU growing up in Palo Alto - it was truly independent then - there wasn't even a Fox television network yet! Their local news coverage was excellent and, from what little I've seen over the past few years, they continue to do a quality job. I've never gotten the impression that their policy or their hiring practices reflected a Fox point of view.

raicha

Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Postby raicha » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:39 pm

In the brouhaha over the KTVU gaffe, no one seems all that concerned that the organization in charge of the crash investigation is so well-run that they had an intern confirming bogus names in response to press inquiries. Sure, the intern was sacked, but the NTSB management should take a good look in the mirror too.

ZekeB

Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Postby ZekeB » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:42 pm

Fox is a Ruppert Murdock creation. Up until his time is was not legal for a foreigner to own a broadcast media such as Fox. It was a Republican administration that got that law changed. I just don't watch Fox.

ducktape

Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Postby ducktape » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:58 pm

Fox is a Ruppert Murdock creation. Up until his time is was not legal for a foreigner to own a broadcast media such as Fox. It was a Republican administration that got that law changed. I just don't watch Fox.

Actually, Rupert became an American citizen so that he could own them.

esseff44

Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Postby esseff44 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:48 pm

KTVU was an independent station before they were a Fox afffiliate, and that was to get Fox Entertainment's evening programming. The FoxNews connection came later. Because they had no evening network programming, they had the Eight O'Clock movie and Bob Wilkins with Creature Feature. My dad liked that they had a 10 PM news show. Dennis Richmond was the news anchorman forever. :rockon:

Their news was always very good. I think they started their news with, "Broadcasting from a transmitter high atop San Bruno Mountain, this is KTVU, Channel 2" Mebbe they all did that before Sutro Tower.uglyscourgeontheskyline Esseff will remember.

I got to SF in 1971, the year that construction started on Sutro Tower. KTVU have their studios in Jack London Square in Oakland so they were also better on covering East Bay. The were an independent station until bought by Cox became a Fox affiliate but is still owned by Cox. The local news has been the favorite for a long time and Dennis Richmond was the reason a lot of people tuned in. He was there 40 years having worked his way up from a typist to new anchor ....one of the very first African-American anchors on a major station.

http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/parenting/2008/05/23/richmond280x192.jpg

He has been greatly missed since his retirement in 2008. I can't see him making this kind of mistake. He was an institution and not just a news reader.

Maybenaut

Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Postby Maybenaut » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:55 am

I remember him... he was awesome!

Sterngard Friegen

Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:21 am

Speaking about who was in San Francisco when . . . I watched the Transamerica Pyramid getting built from my office above Ernie's on Montgomery Street. (Was dating the daughter of the chair of Transamerica then, too.)

Foggy

Plane Crash - Jet Crash

Postby Foggy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:45 am

[offtopic]I was a long-haired hippy in San Francisco from June '71 to Dec. '73. Spent many a night sleeping in Golden Gate Park in a tent with my dog, listening to the foghorns. Lived in Haight-Ashbury, then moved to the beach (48th Ave.) and finally ended up in the Divisadero for a few months before meandering back East. Worked as a house painter and in a waterbed factory, among other, less savory activities. :lol: The statute of limitations has passed on everything I did back then, so fuggedaboutit. [-X[/offtopic]
Show me, show me, show me how you do that trick! The one that makes me scream, she said.

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”