Hijack this thread

esseff44

Hijack this thread

Postby esseff44 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Seems the bees keep dying.

Mystery Malady Kills More Bees, Heightening Worry on Farms

By MICHAEL WINES

Published: March 28, 2013

BAKERSFIELD, Calif. — A mysterious malady that has been killing honeybees en masse for several years appears to have expanded drastically in the last year, commercial beekeepers say, wiping out 40 percent or even 50 percent of the hives needed to pollinate many of the nation’s fruits and vegetables.

A conclusive explanation so far has escaped scientists studying the ailment, colony collapse disorder, since it first surfaced around 2005. But beekeepers and some researchers say there is growing evidence that a powerful new class of pesticides known as neonicotinoids, incorporated into the plants themselves, could be an important factor.

The pesticide industry disputes that. But its representatives also say they are open to further studies to clarify what, if anything, is happening.

“They looked so healthy last spring,” said Bill Dahle, 50, who owns Big Sky Honey in Fairview, Mont. “We were so proud of them. Then, about the first of September, they started to fall on their face, to die like crazy. We’ve been doing this 30 years, and we’ve never experienced this kind of loss before.”

more:

[/break1]nytimes.com/2013/03/29/science/earth/soaring-bee-deaths-in-2012-sound-alarm-on-malady.html?_r=0]https://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/29/scie ... .html?_r=0

the article sez the norm is 5 to 10 percent annual loss, but it's running much higher now. about 50 percent.

Rep. Blumenauer has introduced a bill to help the bees. I think it's appropriate that the sponsor is named 'blumenauer.' :-bd The bloomin' flowers need those little critters or else they can't keep going and reproduce themselves.

[/break1]credoaction.com/petitions/tell-congress-stop-the-pesticide-that-is-killing-bees?akid=8473.6827120.fv5vTv&rd=1&t=2]http://org.credoaction.com/petitions/te ... v&rd=1&t=2

BFB

Hijack this thread

Postby BFB » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:21 pm

Edited to Add: Men! A dress shirt open at the collar with the sleeves rolled up three turns is very sexy. You don't have to show it all to get our attention.

It looks rather sexy on a woman too.

Especially when that's all she's wearing ...

TexasFilly

Hijack this thread

Postby TexasFilly » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:55 pm

This is a great story about a British soldier who was captured by the Germans in WWII. He sent seemingly mundane letters home, which actually had a code in them. It took his family 70 years to break the code, along with a mathematics professor at the University of Plymouth: [/break1]cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57595452/secret-code-within-wwii-pows-letters-cracked-70-years-later/]http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162- ... ars-later/

TollandRCR

Hijack this thread

Postby TollandRCR » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:27 pm

Express (UK?) July 25, 2013 [link]REVEALED: Spanish train crash driver boasted on facebook about his love for 200kmh speed,http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/417221/REVEALED-Spanish-train-crash-driver-boasted-on-facebook-about-his-love-for-200kmh-speed[/link][imgwidth=480]http://images.dailyexpress.co.uk/img/dynamic/78/590x/Train_crash_driver-417221.jpg[/imgwidth][imgwidth=240]http://images.dailyexpress.co.uk/img/dynamic/78/590x/secondary/57998.jpg[/imgwidth]

Francisco Jose Garzon Amo, 52, posted a picture on his Facebook account in March last year showing a speedometer on a train under his control reaching 200kmh (125mph).During a Facebook conversation underneath the picture he even boasts about breaking the speed limit and triggering a fine for Spain’s train operator RENFE.Both drivers of yesterday’s crash near Santiago de Compostela survived the disaster.One was taken to hospital, while the other has been placed under formal investigation for speeding.It is unclear whether Mr Garzon Amo is the man being investigated.

TollandRCR

Hijack this thread

Postby TollandRCR » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:40 pm

The "fail-safe devices" that were intended to prevent speeding may not have failed. They may have been overridden by the driver of the train.

ZekeB

Hijack this thread

Postby ZekeB » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:00 pm

Edited to Add: Men! A dress shirt open at the collar with the sleeves rolled up three turns is very sexy. You don't have to show it all to get our attention.

Except it's nice to see a woman with that one additional button undone.

DaveMuckey

Hijack this thread

Postby DaveMuckey » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:25 pm

[link]The Kingsmen's infamously innocent 'Louie, Louie' back in front of the feds at downtown Federal Building,http://goo.gl/mYEhrV[/link]Fifty years ago, FBI agents dressed in dark suits and skinny ties stood among screaming teenage fans and passed out promotional cans of Green Giant vegetables as The Kingsmen rocked the stage with "Jolly Green Giant" -- "Well, he lives down there in his valley (Brussels sprouts)," they sang. "The cat stands tall and green (spinach)."The FBI agents were investigating whether the Portland-bred garage band -- in 1963 considered a rhythm and blues band -- violated federal obscenity laws with the lyrics of its internationally famous version of "Louie, Louie.""They were great guys just doing their job," says Michael Mitchell, 69, guitarist and one of the original band members. He adds, "If they didn't ban it, no one would've ever listened."[...]

http://imgick.oregonlive.com/home/olive-media/pgmain/img/oregonian/photo/2013/07/kingsmen7jpg-f930c012cb2db55f.jpg

magdalen77

Hijack this thread

Postby magdalen77 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:02 pm

Except it's nice to see a woman with that one additional button undone.

Hmmmm, I thought you forgot the purpose of eye candy? :-k

Dolly

Hijack this thread

Postby Dolly » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:04 pm

In the 1980’s, the Washington State Legislature considered making it the official state song. The measure failed, but “Louie Louie” is still listed on government websites as the “unofficial” state rock song.

[/break1]kpluwonders.org/content/why-louie-louie-washingtons-theme-song]http://www.kpluwonders.org/content/why- ... theme-song[/break1]blogspot.com/2009/02/sad-story-of-washington-state-song.html]http://northwesthistory.blogspot.com/20 ... -song.html \ :D /
Avatar by Tal Peleg Art of Makeup https://www.facebook.com/TalPelegMakeUp

ZekeB

Hijack this thread

Postby ZekeB » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:52 pm

Hmmmm, I thought you forgot the purpose of eye candy? :-k

I still can't say I remember why. Unless "because" is a good reason.

Emma

Hijack this thread

Postby Emma » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:23 pm

This is a great story about a British soldier who was captured by the Germans in WWII. He sent seemingly mundane letters home, which actually had a code in them. It took his family 70 years to break the code, along with a mathematics professor at the University of Plymouth: [/break1]cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162-57595452/secret-code-within-wwii-pows-letters-cracked-70-years-later/]http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_162- ... ars-later/

Amazing !My mother's oldest brother was captured by the Germans in WWII and spent the rest of the war in a prison camp. He never spoke of his time there but did meet with his fellow POWs every few years or so. I remember my grandmother telling me that when he returned home, he was literally skin and bones and barely able to walk, pretty much as you see in the photos of the concentration camp victims.

ZekeB

Hijack this thread

Postby ZekeB » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:03 pm

I'm sorry we hijacked your thread, kimba. magdalen made me do it.

listeme

Hijack this thread

Postby listeme » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:20 pm

Did someone spike all the drinks with rage potion?

Maybe it's something in the air. Even my two dogs are not getting along :(
Say what you mean.

Whatever4

Hijack this thread

Postby Whatever4 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:30 pm

I need a good local florist in Denver, CO.

magdalen77

Hijack this thread

Postby magdalen77 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:44 pm

I'm sorry we hijacked your thread, kimba. magdalen made me do it.

Geez, thanks a lot, Zeke, for throwing me under the bus. What a pal \ :D /

Vice President Maru

Hijack this thread

Postby Vice President Maru » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:06 pm

Realist and I are sitting on the lawn at wolf trap listening to Gordon Lightfoot. Good times....

gupwalla

Hijack this thread

Postby gupwalla » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:13 pm

Swung by the mail boxes today (something I do only a couple of times a week, because who sends real mail anymore?) and -- JURY DUTY. I am not a lawyer, criminal, or litigious birther, so it is rare that I get to participate in the justice system.

ZekeB

Hijack this thread

Postby ZekeB » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:08 pm

Geez, thanks a lot, Zeke, for throwing me under the bus. What a pal \ :D /

Sorry 'bout that, magdalen. I don't want kimba to kinda not like me. After all, it's my turn to buy the next time I'm in her neighborhood.. I hate passing up a free lunch.

Whatever4

Hijack this thread

Postby Whatever4 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:08 pm

This image is making the Facebook rounds... [imgwidth=300]https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/q71/1005646_669229796424542_1318556399_n.jpg[/imgwidth]I've noticed that my right wing relatives/friends give a hearty "Yeah!" and "Damn straight" and "kids are punks these days" and "If you try to teach your children to be respectful the government gets involved," while the left wing relatives/friends/FBers are more... nuanced. "Respect is learned from the environment in which it is cultivated. " "Isn't there something a little less serious than killing them that can be done?"My personal favorite: "I love how people act as if kids weren't punks when we were kids. 'Cause I don't know about the kids you hung around with, but the kids in my neighborhood were punks." And the subtly erudite: "My name is Socrates, and I approve this message."

Estiveo

Hijack this thread

Postby Estiveo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:25 am

This image is making the Facebook rounds... *snip image*I've noticed that my right wing relatives/friends give a hearty "Yeah!" and "Damn straight" and "kids are punks these days" and "If you try to teach your children to be respectful the government gets involved," while the left wing relatives/friends/FBers are more... nuanced. "Respect is learned from the environment in which it is cultivated. " "Isn't there something a little less serious than killing them that can be done?"My personal favorite: "I love how people act as if kids weren't punks when we were kids. 'Cause I don't know about the kids you hung around with, but the kids in my neighborhood were punks." And the subtly erudite: "My name is Socrates, and I approve this message."

My only exposure to kids is the neighborhood children, ranging in age from 4-ish to 20-ish-but-still-living-at-home-while-going-to-school.I've never found the kids in my neighborhood to be anything other than delightful. I mean, a couple years ago some of the tween-age sk8r bois actually rang the doorbell to ask if it was OK to use our driveway as a launching point because, "The angle is, like, totally perfect!" They has motorized scooters now, but still wave and yell, "Hey, dude!" if I'm out front when they're zipping around the 'hood.I'd venture to guess that the attitude problem isn't with the kids as much as it is with gr'ups who whine about the kids.Also, too, back when I was a kid, the kids in my neighborhood were not punks. Nope just kids like me and my bros, trying to survive the horrors of Junior High and High School.
Image x2 Image Image Image Image

realist

Hijack this thread

Postby realist » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:27 am

Realist and I are sitting on the lawn at wolf trap listening to Gordon Lightfoot. Good times....

The weather was perfect, the venue outstanding, the concert was good (at 74, Gordon still has it) and I enjoyed it with the perfect partner. Thank you for a wonderful evening. :hug:
ImageX 3 (have met 31 Obots at meetups) Image X 4

Foggy

Hijack this thread

Postby Foggy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:15 am

Wow. Yeah, [link]Wolf Trap Farm Park,http://www.wolftrap.org/[/link] is a magical place. I saw Ella Fitzgerald there, among many others.

Weather isn't oppressive this week, either (I have a contact in Bathysphere or wherever it is).

♪♫ "If you could read my mind, love ..." ♫♪

SueDB

Hijack this thread

Postby SueDB » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:33 am

London Excavations Turn Up Our Paul McCartney.

[/break1]nbcnews.com/science/excavation-old-london-cemetery-turns-walrus-bones-8C10751490]Paul McCartney Died & Was Buried in the early or so 1800's. We'uns gots Ebidence

During a recent excavation beneath the streets of London, archaeologists found a total of 1,500 human bodies, many buried hastily in a wave of epidemics that struck the quickly expanding city more than 150 years ago.

In one coffin, archaeologists came across a grisly mix of bones from at least eight human bodies, many of them cut up and showing evidence of autopsy. [highlight=#ff0000]But nine of the bone fragments were decidedly not human. They were walrus.[/highlight]

"It came as something of a shock," said Phil Emery, an archa...

I am the eggman, they are the eggmen, I am the walrus,

Coo coo kachoo ka coo coo kachoo

(rhythmical speaking along with juba's).

Juba juba juba, juba, juba, juba, juba, juba, juba juba. Juba juba.....

[edit]mo coffee, IV PUSH STAT! (for our medical friends)[/edit]
"Scientific Research: A whole lotta tedious attention to detail followed
by a lovely payoff too esoteric for your friends to understand."
anon--

magdalen77

Hijack this thread

Postby magdalen77 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:12 am

Swung by the mail boxes today (something I do only a couple of times a week, because who sends real mail anymore?) and -- JURY DUTY. I am not a lawyer, criminal, or litigious birther, so it is rare that I get to participate in the justice system.

I'm due to be on jury duty next Friday. This is the first I've been called in about 12 years. When I moved here I was called three times in quick succession. It seemed like they wait just long enough netween calls that I was eligible. Here you don't have to serve if you've served in the past 3 years. Then they apparently lost my name for a while. :D

Return to “The Lounge”