The Walking Dead: WITH SPOILERS ... NEWBIES ARE WARNED!

A Legal Lohengrin

Postby A Legal Lohengrin » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:23 am

However...since Dale hadn't died, much less turned, before he was shot (only once, I think) in the head, might we see a somewhat trephinated zombie Dale shambling all bug-eyed across our screens? I mean, from a strict continuty perspective, the change takes place in the lizard brain, if you will, then spreads. They never address the spread in those who actually die from brain injuries with the origin point still intact.[sekrit]What? Stop looking at me![/sekrit]

I'm pretty sure that anything that would take you out as a walker also stops you from coming back as one. Rick has known this for a while. If you'll recall, back at the bar, when he shot Fat Tony, he followed it up a second later with an otherwise unnecessary shot to the head. Why exactly he never told anyone, I don't know.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Postby Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:33 pm

It's also interesting they finally seem to have confirmed something they've been hinting at for a while, that now, if you die of anything, you come back as a walker. Supposedly, that is the secret Dr. Jenner whispered to Rick right before the CDC went kablooey.

Yeah, I was caught by surprise when Shane got up slavering. I'd missed the Dr. Jenner connection, though.However...since Dale hadn't died, much less turned, before he was shot (only once, I think) in the head, might we see a somewhat trephinated zombie Dale shambling all bug-eyed across our screens? I mean, from a strict continuty perspective, the change takes place in the lizard brain, if you will, then spreads. They never address the spread in those who actually die from brain injuries with the origin point still intact.[sekrit]What? Stop looking at me![/sekrit]

Maybe they could bring back a zombified Dale for comedic value. I could just imagine the bits they could do with bug eyed zombie dale walking around.

LM K

Postby LM K » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:07 pm

Just curious if anyone here has read the comics. There have been quite a few changes in the show from the comics but I'm interested in seeing seeing what else they might incorporate.

I'm waiting to get the 15th graphic novel from the library. The show has deviated quite a bit from the comics, but I like how the show has tackled the story. Since Kirkman is a producer on the show, he has been able to keep the core of the story vibrant even as the show deviates from the comics. The comics had to be expanded on to become a tv series. The comics are good, but there is less grit to the story.

Have questions about the comics? Ask away! But I won't give spoilers! [-(

Yeah, it might be time for Carl to be shuffled off this mortal coil, after causing more mayhem through inaction, but I doubt that they'd kill off another kid so soon after Sophia. On the other hand, it could make for a redemption/coming of age sub-plot.

Carl's character on the show presents a problem. The first 2 seasons of TWD take place over one summer and early fall. Carl has been 8 for 2 years now. Soon Chandler, the actor playing Carl, isn't going to be able to pass off for 8 or 9. IIRC, Chandler is 10 in real life. The show is going to have to adapt their time schedule to keep up with Chandler.

I'm amazed that Carl has been given so much freedom on the farm. That kid goes off on his own for hours now. The group is getting too comfortable on the farm.

It's also interesting they finally seem to have confirmed something they've been hinting at for a while, that now, if you die of anything, you come back as a walker. Supposedly, that is the secret Dr. Jenner whispered to Rick right before the CDC went kablooey.

Because I have read the graphic novels, I knew that all of humanity was infected (or at least all of Rick's group was infected), but wasn't certain that Rick knew this yet. I was fairly confident that the secret Jenner told Rick was that everyone was infected, but I wasn't positive (and I sure as hell wasn't going to give that spoiler!). The CDC story doesn't exist in the graphic novels, so Rick never knew about the infection until he saw someone Zombify after a non-Zombie related death. Once I learned that everyone was infected, I was surprised that the writers for the show had Jenner tell Rick the secret. There must be a purpose for telling Rick about this rather than letting him discover this accidentally, but the show hasn't explained that part yet.

IIRC, Jenner was never specific about how his wife became infected. I think that the CDC figured out that everyone was infected and that Jenner's wife died accidentally or committed suicide. Knowing that she was going to return as a Zombie, she allowed her reanimation to be watched with MRI imaging.

I think the reason the CDC was abandoned was because everyone at the CDC discovered that everyone was already infected. There was nothing left for the CDC to do. Those outside of the CDC weren't likely to catch onto this since most were dying from Zombie attacks. This is just my .02 on the tv story line.

In episode 10, when Rick and Shane were looking at the 2 Zombies they had just killed, Shane noticed that the 2 Zombies didn't have bite marks. Rick was adamant that they must have been scratched. (See the video clip at [link]AMC,http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/highlights-episode-210-the-walking-dead-18-miles-out[/link].) Rick didn't want anyone in the group to know that they were all infected.

But, did Shane figure that out? When he killed Randell, did he know that Randell would reanimate?

Yeah, I was caught by surprise when Shane got up slavering. I'd missed the Dr. Jenner connection, though.

However...since Dale hadn't died, much less turned, before he was shot (only once, I think) in the head, might we see a somewhat trephinated zombie Dale shambling all bug-eyed across our screens? I mean, from a strict continuty perspective, the change takes place in the lizard brain, if you will, then spreads. They never address the spread in those who actually die from brain injuries with the origin point still intact.

[sekrit]What? Stop looking at me![/sekrit]

I don't think that we will see Dale return. The lizard brain is where the transformation begins, but higher centers of the brain would be necessary for walking, vision, hearing, chewing, etc. Zombies don't think, but they do move and hunt. Their hunger, motivation and rage would be controlled by the lizard part of the brain.

In episode 10, right after Shane throws a wrench at Rick, we see Shane's reflection in the broken window. That scene can also be watched at [link]AMC,http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/talked-about-scene-episode-210-the-walking-dead-shane-vs-rick[/link] (at 4:40). Shane looks just like a Zombie in the reflection; he is all bloody, breathing heavily, drooling (a bit) and enraged. Shane looked almost exactly the same when he was Zombiefied. Kirkland has said that it is the living that are the walking dead. We see this in Shane. Shane lost most of his humanity ages ago.

I thought it was fascinating that Shane's inner experience of his transformation was shown. Was that what the writers were showing us with the Shane Zombie flashes before Shane reanimated?

I wonder what would have happened if Carl hadn't show up right after Shane's death. Would Rick have stabbed Shane in the head before reanimation or after reanimation? When Rick pleads with his son to put the gun down, Rick looks horrified. Rick knew that Carl wouldn't shoot him. Did Rick just want to get Carl away from Shane as soon as possible because he was horrified at that Carl would know the secret?

So, will the rest of the group learn the secret? I watched an [link]online teaser,http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/videos/sneak-peek-episode-213-the-walking-dead-beside-the-dying-fire[/link] yesterday; Carl asks his dad how Shane died. Carl didn't see Rick kill Shane.

In the graphic novels, Shane dies at the camp ground before the Zombie attack. Does anyone want to know how? ;;)

This Sun, AMC is having a Season 2 marathon beginning at 11am.

Estiveo

Postby Estiveo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:02 am

I keep expecting to see a glimpse of an un-credited Bill Murray in a zombie crowd scene.
"Holy f**k, Ted Cruz's voice sounds like every straight man's ex-wife." --The Rude Pundit

LM K

Postby LM K » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:38 am

I keep expecting to see a glimpse of an un-credited Bill Murray in a zombie crowd scene.

I just watched Zombieland! Bill Murray was hilarious!!

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Postby Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:02 pm

ah yeah they finally introduced the katana wielding Michonne. This is starting to get really good.

A Legal Lohengrin

Postby A Legal Lohengrin » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:06 pm

ah yeah they finally introduced the katana wielding Michonne. This is starting to get really good.

They just announced on the aftershow that this is the actress who will be playing Michonne.[/break1]imdb.com/name/nm1775091/]Danai Guirira

Foggy

Postby Foggy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:37 am

Oh for god's sake ...

Michonne’s backstory in the comics is somewhat similar to Andrea’s. They were both attorneys who’ve found ways to adapt to post-apocalyptic life.

Now I ask you! :roll:
Show me, show me, show me how you do that trick! The one that makes me scream, she said.

LM K

Postby LM K » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:14 am

Michonne has arrived! That woman is tougher than Shane. Season 3 is going to be freaking fantabulous!!!I just read that there will be 16 episodes for season 3.More later.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Postby Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:23 am

Oh for god's sake ...

Michonne’s backstory in the comics is somewhat similar to Andrea’s. They were both attorneys who’ve found ways to adapt to post-apocalyptic life.

Now I ask you! :roll:

Are you saying we should rely on the rooster if a zombie apocalypse happens?

Foggy

Postby Foggy » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:32 am

No, I'm saying are women allowed on Tee Vee as anything but lawyers any more? :-? :lol:
Show me, show me, show me how you do that trick! The one that makes me scream, she said.

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Postby Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:17 am

No, I'm saying are women allowed on Tee Vee as anything but lawyers any more? :-? :lol:

Oh damn [-X

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Postby Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:58 pm

It's coming in October folks

ObjectiveDoubter

Postby ObjectiveDoubter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:21 pm

OMFG! I didn't know we had fans of The Walking Dead here. I am always kind of embarrassed that I was totally hooked by it, from the first episode. The only other show I watch religiously is Justified. I watch it because I had been addicted to Deadwood and loved Seth Bullock (who was a historical figure which most people don't know; he really existed) who was played by Timothy Olyphant who plays the protagonist in Justified, Raylan Givens. So, good to know that there are others here, similarly liking the Walking Dead. My not so secret fantasy: To be made up like a zombie and be an extra on the show. One never knows ....

Plutodog

Postby Plutodog » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:24 pm

Ain't the walking dead just a strain of birferz? :-
We are not sinners. We are not abominations. We were not born broken, and we do not need salvation. We have embraced our right to think beyond the boundaries of religion. We are living and loving our lives free from faith. -- Sarah Morehead

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Postby Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:25 pm

OMFG! I didn't know we had fans of The Walking Dead here. I am always kind of embarrassed that I was totally hooked by it, from the first episode. The only other show I watch religiously is Justified. I watched it because I had been addicted to Deadwood and loved Seth Bullock (who was a historical figure which most people don't know; he really existed) who was played by Timothy Olyphant who plays the protagonist in Justified, Raylan Givens. So, good to know that there are others here, similarly liking the Walking Dead. My not so secret fantasy: To be made up like a zombie and be an extra on the show. One never knows ....

You know I have the first two seasons of justified and have not watched it yet. Timothy Olyphant comes from my hometown.

ObjectiveDoubter

Postby ObjectiveDoubter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:53 pm

OMFG! I didn't know we had fans of The Walking Dead here. I am always kind of embarrassed that I was totally hooked by it, from the first episode. The only other show I watch religiously is Justified. I watched it because I had been addicted to Deadwood and loved Seth Bullock (who was a historical figure which most people don't know; he really existed) who was played by Timothy Olyphant who plays the protagonist in Justified, Raylan Givens. So, good to know that there are others here, similarly liking the Walking Dead. My not so secret fantasy: To be made up like a zombie and be an extra on the show. One never knows ....

You know I have the first two seasons of justified and have not watched it yet. Timothy Olyphant comes from my hometown.

Being a total Justified nut, I went to a program at the TV Museum, last January. I was surprised at how intelligent he is. http://www.paleycenter.org/2012-spring-a-justified-evening-with-elmore-leonard-timothy-olyphant-and-graham-yostI recommend watching the DVDs. But just a warning ... you may never go to Kentucky again -- or ever if you have never been there. (I was at another program, at the Palm Springs Intl Film Festival, George Clooney interview. I wanted to ask him two things: 1) Would he come to dinner? One can dream. 2) Had he seen Justified and had he really grown up in Kentucky? )

A Legal Lohengrin

Postby A Legal Lohengrin » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:19 pm

Ain't the walking dead just a strain of birferz? :-

Walkers are somewhat more competent. They have recognizable goals and sometimes even succeed at them.http://penny-arcade.smugmug.com/photos/i-tQbhFXr/0/L/i-tQbhFXr-X2.jpg

LM K

Postby LM K » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:33 am

Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha!I'm going to use this at the beginning of every term when I discuss my classroom cell phone policy:
[attachment=0]Zombie Apocalypse.jpg[/attachment]

Estiveo

Postby Estiveo » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:43 am

butbutbut...where are the brains?...Never mind.[edit]tyop[/edit]
"Holy f**k, Ted Cruz's voice sounds like every straight man's ex-wife." --The Rude Pundit

RTH10260

Postby RTH10260 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:29 am

butbutbut...where are the brains?...Never mind.

[spoil]

ATTORNEY: Doctor, before you performed the autopsy, did you check for a pulse?WITNESS: No.ATTORNEY: Did you check for blood pressure?WITNESS: No. ATTORNEY Did you check for breathing?WITNESS: No. ATTORNEY: So, then it is possible that the patient was alive when you began the autopsy? WITNESS: No. ATTORNEY: How can you be so sure, Doctor?WITNESS: Because his brain was sitting on my desk in a jar.

[/spoil]

ObjectiveDoubter

Postby ObjectiveDoubter » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:38 am

47 days until Walking Dead Season 3: Sunday, October 14.

A Legal Lohengrin

Postby A Legal Lohengrin » Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:19 pm

butbutbut...where are the brains?...Never mind.

[spoil]

ATTORNEY: Doctor, before you performed the autopsy, did you check for a pulse?WITNESS: No.ATTORNEY: Did you check for blood pressure?WITNESS: No. ATTORNEY Did you check for breathing?WITNESS: No. ATTORNEY: So, then it is possible that the patient was alive when you began the autopsy? WITNESS: No. ATTORNEY: How can you be so sure, Doctor?WITNESS: Because his brain was sitting on my desk in a jar.

[/spoil]

[spoil]I usually see this concluding this way.

ATTORNEY: But are you sure that he could not have, in fact, been alive?WITNESS: I suppose it is possible he could be practicing law in California.

[/spoil]

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Postby Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:14 pm

Anyone still watching? Lots to talk about including the return of Merle

ObjectiveDoubter

Postby ObjectiveDoubter » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:36 pm

Yes, I'm still watching. Sunday night is now 1) Walking Dead 9 p.m. 2) Homeland 10 p.m. Both are exceptional.

Return to “American Culture & Current Events”