Falsehoods unchallenged only fester and grow.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:23 pm 

Quote:
Posted: Apr 03, 2012 11:49 AM PST Updated: Apr 03, 2012 12:17 PM PST
Video Gallery
RAW: Tornado tosses semi-trucks through the air
0:57
RAW: Funnel cloud spotted near Dallas
0:46

Multiple tornadoes have been reported near the Dallas-Fort Worth, TX, area Tuesday. (Source: CNN/WFAA) Multiple tornadoes have been reported near the Dallas-Fort Worth, TX, area Tuesday. (Source: CNN/WFAA)

An apparent tornado flipped parked tractor-trailers into the air in Dallas. (Source: CNN/WFAA) An apparent tornado flipped parked tractor-trailers into the air in Dallas. (Source: CNN/WFAA)

(RNN) – Tornadoes have been reported in Dallas County and other nearby counties in northeast Texas on Tuesday.

A tornado is approaching the Dallas/Fort Worth Airport, according to CNN, while a second has been sighted on the ground in downtown Dallas.

[...]

A tornado warning remains in effect until 2:15 p.m. for eastern Tarrant and northwestern Dallas counties.

http://www.cbsatlanta.com/story/1732317 ... t-north-tx

I hope our Dallas-area Obots are okay.

Image x 4 Image x 34

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:24 pm 

Live coverage on msnbc now.

Image x 4 Image x 34

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:41 pm 

Occupation: Development Director for The Arc in Hawaii (non-profit supporting adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities)
realist wrote:

Take care, y'all! :hug:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:43 pm 

June bug wrote:
realist wrote:

Take care cover, y'all! :hug:

FIFY, junie.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:43 pm 

Remember when Rick Santorum wanted to abolish the National Weather Service?
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/01/0 ... er-Service

Birtherism is so ridiculous that I no longer feel obligated to treat proponents w/slightest degree of respect or civility

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:45 pm 

Occupation: Development Director for The Arc in Hawaii (non-profit supporting adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities)
Quote:
Take care cover, y'all! :hug:

Thanks, kate!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:52 pm 

Location: about 26,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy,
Occupation: Chemtrail Scheduling Supervisor, Southwest Division
Hunkered down safely in the house with Dallasette and Little D. The sirens started going off here in HP about an hour ago. Jez and Wintermute may be in more danger from the storm than we are. Everyone stay safe!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:02 pm 

There are reports of "tremendous damage" but nothing about injuries and fatalities. Hard to imagine that a storm that tossed 18-wheeler trucks into the air caused no injuries. Much of the affected area is heavily populated, unlike many of the smaller cities that were hit so hard last year and this winter.

The DFW airport has a semi-circular wall of glass looking onto the field. Officials evacuated people into hallways and restrooms away from the glass. A ground halt at DFW brought all traffic to a standstill. Telephone traffic to and from the area must be heavy, or some equipment must be damaged, as my calls are not going through.

Tractor-trailer truck tossed in the air:

Edit: better picture

There are as many good things about civilization as bad. Perhaps more. And we would miss them. From toothbrushes to electric lights. From clean water to democracy. From bookstores to the kind of gentle, tolerant argumentation that never resorts to violence and allows for the slow changing of opinions...and the gradual and diverse evolving of everybody's minds.
The core of what we now know that it means to be civilized.
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank (1959), Foreword by David Brin (June 2005)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:28 pm 

Sunny and 84 here. Very worried about friends in Dallas/Ft Worth though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:59 pm 

I'm good. there was a break in the weather so I'm home right now. Most of it seems to slide either east or west of the office. Keeping an eye on the sky and have the local news live streaming.

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:08 pm 

Jez wrote:
I'm good. there was a break in the weather so I'm home right now. Most of it seems to slide either east or west of the office. Keeping an eye on the sky and have the local news live streaming.

I have a lot of family living in the area so I'm greatly relieved to hear you are all okay.

"Your politics have no relation to morals."-
Niccolo Machiavelli to the Tea Party

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:23 pm 

Good to hear from Dallas Fogbowers. Stay safe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:59 pm 

If you don't hear from me in the 4 hours, send in Seal Team 6's rescue squad.

A tornado warning was just issued 16 miles to the East of me from an isolated cell which developed to the East and went North.

The main front will be here within the next half hour and should take 2 hours to pass through.

The Weather Channel dot com forecast shows the entire system falling apart in the next 4 hours.

A new warning has just been issued and the track is expected to hit my little town in 30 minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:02 pm 

Please check in once it passes!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:41 pm 

It looks like the storms have passed.

They have been a few miles South and East during the last hour with no sign of them moving North or West.

It looks like rain throughout the night. I hope they are gone tomorrow since my mother leaves at 8:00 every Wednesday morning and we are going to Dallas around noon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:43 pm 

Glad to hear everyone is safe.

Image x 4 Image x 34

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:46 pm 
Wow you guys scary video. Glad you're all safe.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:37 am 

NPR April 4, 2012 "After Ferocious Texas Tornadoes, Two Incredibly Welcome Words: 'No Deaths'"
Quote:
On Morning Edition today, NPR's Wade Goodwyn reported that the storm's ferocity caught forecasters by surprise. NPR's Guy Raz, who was at the Dallas-Fort Worth airport, says he and others sheltered for more than an hour in a women's bathroom. The hail hitting the terminal, he says, appeared to be about the size of baseballs.

But perhaps the most amazing news is this: no deaths and only a few injuries have been reported.

"We are only seeing minor injuries, which is amazing with a storm of this magnitude," Lt. Darrel Whitfield of the Arlington Fire Department told Fort Worth's Star-Telegram.

Many American Airlines flights are canceled today (Wednesday), partly because many airplanes were damaged at DFW and will need repairs and inspections.

There are as many good things about civilization as bad. Perhaps more. And we would miss them. From toothbrushes to electric lights. From clean water to democracy. From bookstores to the kind of gentle, tolerant argumentation that never resorts to violence and allows for the slow changing of opinions...and the gradual and diverse evolving of everybody's minds.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:41 am 

Tornadoes in 2012 are occurring more often than the moving average 2005-2011 and above the unusually active year of 2011. However, 2008 saw even more tornadoes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:17 am 

Texas continues to experience weird weather. Yesterday was a hail storm in the Panhandle region that deposited 3" to 4" of hail. Because hail forms drifts as snow does, there are reports of drifts as high as 3' - 4'. In addition, hail rolls, which can result in spectacular floods. Accuweather captured this storm:

Unbelievable Hail Storm in Texas

This is far from the largest hail storm on record, including a storm in Seldon, KS, that was reported to have deposited 18" of hail "on the level" in 1959.

We'll hope that this is a picture of a hailstone and not just a chip off the old block:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:39 am 

Christian Science Monitor

Quote:
As Midwest storm bears down, forecasters use more urgent voice in tornado warnings

The National Weather Service is testing phrases like 'catastrophic' and 'unsurvivable' to describe looming storm systems in a bid to engage Americans’ survival instincts. Saturday's tornado-bearing storm was called 'high-end' and 'life-threatening.' ...

Whether more alarmism will actually help break through a “cry wolf” immunity that many Americans exhibit toward tornado warnings – even sirens – is an open question. But it was clear from the strong, early warnings about today’s storms that the National Weather Service is becoming more proactive in trying to communicate both storm severity and potential impacts.

Forecasters are expecting tornadoes, baseball-sized hail and 70 miles-per-hour winds across parts of Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Texas as the system moves out of the Rockies, fueled by warm air from the Gulf of Mexico. Erratic upper atmospheric winds could help start tornadoes spinning, forecasters say.

"All the pieces of the pie are coming together to make a particularly dangerous situation,” according to Accuweather meteorologist Paul Walker.
Issuing a high-risk warning 24 hours ahead of the potential event is extremely rare for NOAA’s Storm Prediction Center, in Norman, which barely escaped damage when a tornado touched down nearby on Friday. In fact, it had only happened once before, in 2006, when almost 100 tornadoes struck across the South, killing 12 people and damaging 1,000 homes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:42 pm 

Certainly looks like I'll spend this weekend poring over taxes while cocooning in my storm pod. The horror. :o

"Your politics have no relation to morals."-
Niccolo Machiavelli to the Tea Party

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:47 pm 

Quote:
All the pieces of the pie are coming together...

I do not like this pie. Stay safe, alla y'all in harm's way.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:23 pm 

I flew through Dallas last night. Unbelievable lightning storm on view out of my plane's right side for a good 45 minutes. Looked like an all white fireworks show.

Amazingly, not one bit of turbulence.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:57 pm 

This is bad timing for me.

My mother is in Dallas today and staying overnight.

If this goes through as currently expected. Her party will be getting ready to leave after the leading edge goes through Dallas and then drive towards the storm's front edge and then be home when it comes through here.