Falsehoods unchallenged only fester and grow. To join, email foggy at thefogbow dot com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next   
 Post subject: Senate Confirmations
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:25 am 

I'll be damned. The one Senator who invoked the post-cloture rule on the Jordan nomination wasn't Mike Lee, it was Rand Paul (who then voted to confirm Judge Jordan).
Sen Patrick Leahy wrote:
The junior Senator from Kentucky held up this nominee for his own purposes -- purposes having nothing to do with the nominee. He did it in order to gain leverage to force a vote on an unrelated and ill-advised amendment. You cannot amend a nomination. So now that he has forced the Senate into two days of inactivity, the Senate will finally vote.

As I said yesterday, the goals of Senator Paul’s amendment are already the law of the land. The new conditions on military aid for Egypt, which I wrote with Senator Graham, passed by an overwhelming bipartisan majority and were signed into law just two months ago without Senator Paul’s support. Those conditions require certification by the Secretary of State that the Egyptian military is supporting the transition of civilian government and protecting fundamental freedoms and due process. Unlike Senator Paul’s proposed amendment, these conditions—again, already the law -- do not pose a risk of backfiring on us and on our ally Israel.

Moreover, once this misguided obstruction is ended and the Senate has voted to confirm Judge Jordan to fill the judicial emergency vacancy on the Eleventh Circuit, the Senate will turn back to its work on the surface transportation bill. As Senator Boxer said this morning, that bipartisan bill can save or create 2.8 million jobs. That, too, should be a priority, not a pin cushion to attach ill-advised foreign policy amendments.

This is the kind of obstruction that is hard to explain to the American people.

http://www.leahy.senate.gov/press/press ... 0b384f1de6

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:54 pm 

Today's Senate Presiding Officer (Sen Coons) announced that the cloture motion on the Jesse Furman nomination had been withdrawn (no explanation given). The Senate proceeded on the confirmation debate with Sen Leahy and Sen Schumer speaking for less than 2 minutes total in support of the nomination and Republicans declining to speak at all. Furman was then confirmed by a 62-34 vote.
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/r ... vote=00021

It's getting difficult to determine what the Senate Republicans are attempting to accomplish with their on again off again filibusters. It took 3 days to confirm Adalberto Jordan (who received only 5 no votes) yet only 1 day to confirm Furman (who received 34 no votes).

What happens next time? Your guess is no worse than mine.
US Senate Executive Calendar wrote:
UNANIMOUS CONSENT AGREEMENT
Margo Kitsy Brodie
(Cal. No. 409)

Ordered, That at 4:30 p.m. on Monday, February 27, 2012, the Senate proceed to Executive Session to consider the nomination of Margo Kitsy Brodie, of New York, to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of New York. Ordered further, That that there be 60 minutes for debate equally divided in the usual form; that upon the use or yielding back of time the Senate proceed to vote without intervening action or debate on the nomination; the motion to reconsider be considered made and laid upon the table with no intervening action or debate; that no further motions be in order; that the President be immediately notified of the Senate's action and the Senate then resume legislative session. (February 17, 2012.)

http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/e ... /xcalv.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:56 am 

I believe it's very possible that Senators Mike Lee and Rand Paul recently received a lesson on how the Senate operates from a Republican Senator (or two) higher up the ladder (McConnell, Sessions, Grassley, Shelby, Hutchison, etc). The instructions given may have also included information that if they want their time in the Senate to be productive, freshman Senators need to stop acting like clowns and embarrassing their fellow Republican members in the process. It's worth noting that Senate Republicans got the Furman confirmation out of the way in possible record time for a nominee with 30+ nay votes. No Republican Senator spoke prior to the vote because McConnell yielded back all his time.
The confirmation debate begins at approxinately 1:39:40 mark of the following link.
http://floor.senate.gov/MediaPlayer.php ... lip_id=154

I may be wrong but McConnell's actions give me the appearance of somebody who had seen and heard enough, then decided to take charge of his troops. It will be interesting to see if there is a change in either Lee's or Paul's behavior.

Edit: We'll have to wait a while to see if my speculation is wrong. The Senate won't be in session next week (except for a couple of pro forma sessions) and most Senators have gone home.
http://www.senate.gov/pagelayout/legisl ... hedule.htm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:03 pm 

Just a word of thanks for following all this for us, Joe Ruby. I don't respond too often, but I read everything you post.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:08 pm 

I'm flattered Foggy, thank you.

<<Bows>>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:16 pm 

Foggy wrote:
Just a word of thanks for following all this for us, Joe Ruby. I don't respond too often, but I read everything you post.

^^^^THIS

=D>

Image x 3 Image x 21

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:14 pm 

Foggy wrote:
:rockon:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:44 pm 

Yay, Joseph :hug:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:44 pm 

Joseph Robidoux III wrote:
What happens next time? Your guess is no worse than mine.
Margo Kitsy Brodie
(Cal. No. 409)

Ordered, That at 4:30 p.m. on Monday, February 27, 2012, the Senate proceed to Executive Session to consider the nomination of Margo Kitsy Brodie, of New York, to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of New York. Ordered further, That that there be 60 minutes for debate equally divided in the usual form; that upon the use or yielding back of time the Senate proceed to vote without intervening action or debate on the nomination; the motion to reconsider be considered made and laid upon the table with no intervening action or debate; that no further motions be in order; that the President be immediately notified of the Senate's action and the Senate then resume legislative session. (February 17, 2012.)

There were no Republican opposition speeches prior to todays confirmation vote for Margo Brodie. The vote was 86 yeas and 2 nays. The two nay votes came from Senators DeMint and Lee.
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/r ... vote=00023

A belated thank you for the compliments posted after Foggy's.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:52 pm 

Occupation: Development Director for The Arc in Hawaii (non-profit supporting adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities)
A belated thank you and compliment for the fine work you do on this subject for us. Just because we don't post often does not mean we don't benefit from what you do. :rockon:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:02 pm 

The following is an excerpt from Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy's speech given immediately prior to todays confirmation vote for Margo Brodie.

Sen Leahy wrote:
Since 1945, the Judiciary Committee has reported more than 2,100 district court nominees to the Senate. Of these 2,100 nominees, only six have been reported by party-line votes – only six total in the last 65 years. Five of those six party-line votes have been by Republican Senators against President Obama’s highly-qualified district court nominees. In fact, only 22 of those 2,100 district court nominees were reported by any kind of split roll call vote at all, and eight of those, more than a third, have been by Republican Senators choosing to oppose President Obama’s nominees. President Obama’s nominees are being treated differently than those of any President, Democratic or Republican, before him.

http://www.leahy.senate.gov/press/press ... 2b21e56abc

I have to admit surprise at the numbers offered by Sen Leahy. I didn't realize the present Republican opposition to the President's judicial nominations was anything out of the ordinary.

An earlier post by Adelante referring to the diversity of Pres Obama's nominations has not been forgotten.
viewtopic.php?p=268256#p268256

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:37 am 

What is frustrating is the tardiness the White House exhibits in offering nominees to the Senate. During most of the Obama presidency, almost half of the judicial vacancies had no nominee for the Senate to even consider.

Update As Of Dec 29:
Article III Judicial Vacancies
Circuit Courts---14 Vacancies with 6 Nominees
District Courts--64 Vacancies with 28 Nominees
http://www.uscourts.gov/JudgesAndJudges ... ncies.aspx

Update As Of Feb 1:
Circuit Courts---16 Vacancies with 9 Nominees
District Courts--68 Vacancies with 30 Nominees

Update As Of Feb 29:
Circuit Courts---16 Vacancies with 9 Nominees
District Courts--67 Vacancies with 30 Nominees

Note: Vacancies and nominees for the court listed as FD-CCA are included with the other circuit court of appeals. The court listed as IT-CCA is listed with the other district courts.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:01 am 

At yesterdays Senate Judiciary Committee nomination hearing Sen Lee (R-UT) offered his personal opinion regarding an Associate Justice of the US Supreme Court that I felt obligated to share. :lol:

The comment runs from approximately the 71:30 to the 71:45 mark.
http://www.senate.gov/fplayers/jw57/com ... 2p&st=1300

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:16 am 

At yesterdays Senate Judiciary Committee hearing Sen Lee (R-UT) offered his personal opinion regarding an Associate Justice of the US Supreme Court that I felt obligated to share. :lol:

The greatest jurist of our time? Dear doG! :shock:

"I am of a sect by myself, as far as I know." -- Thomas Jefferson (no, really, Thomas Jefferson)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:46 am 

Yesterday the Senate Judiciary Committee favorably reported the nomination of Arizona Supreme Court Justice Andrew Hurwitz to be a Circuit Judge for the 9th Circuit by a 13-5 vote. This nomination will probably generate plenty of opposition in the Senate and likely be subject to a filibuster attempt.

The National Right To Life Committee (NRLC) opposes the Hurwitz nomination. The NRLC mentions a comment written by Hurwitz as "the clerk who wrote the Newman opinion". It appears Sen Grassley reads their press releases because he quoted the same in announcing his opposition during yesterdays Executive Business Meeting.
http://www.nrlc.org/Judicial/Hurwitz9th ... letter.pdf

Newman refers to then USDC Judge Jon O. Newman who was part of the 3 member panel which ruled on two abortion cases (Abele I and Abele II) prior to Roe v Wade. The article claims the Abele II decision was influenced by Hurwitz and that the Abele II decision was relied upon by several Supreme Court Justices when deciding Roe. That alone is enough for some Senators to oppose confirming Hurwitz to any government position.

The statement which received this attention follows (footnote 55).
Andrew Hurwitz wrote:
55 The author received some small inkling of the influence of Abele II on the Court’s thinking in the fall of 1972, when interviewing for clerkships at the Supreme Court. Justice Powell devoted over an hour of conversation to a discussion of Judge Newman’s analysis, while Justice Stewart (my future boss) jokingly referred to me as “the clerk who wrote the Newman opinion.” I assume that the latter was based on Judge Newman’s generous letter of recommendation, a medium in which some exaggeration is expected.
http://a.nyls.edu/user_files/1/3/4/17/4 ... 31-248.pdf

Sen Grassley's comments regarding the Hurwitz nomination start approximately at the 23:30 mark.
http://www.senate.gov/fplayers/jw57/com ... 12&st=1250

Pres Nixon nominated Newman to be a USDC Judge for the District of Connecticut in 1971. Pres Carter nominated Newman to be a Circuit Judge for the 2nd Circuit in 1979. Newman assumed senior status in 1997.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:17 pm 

Doesn't look like much of a filibuster for these two nominations.
Mary Elizabeth Phillips (Cal. No. 439)
Thomas Owen Rice (Cal. No. 440)

Ordered, That at 2:15 p.m. on Tuesday, March 6, 2012, the Senate proceed to executive session to consider the following nominations, en bloc:
Mary Elizabeth Phillips, of Missouri, to be United States District Judge for the Western District of Missouri, and
Thomas Owen Rice, of Washington, to be United States District Judge for the Eastern District of Washington.
Ordered further, That there be two minutes for debate equally divided in the usual form; that upon the use or yielding back of time the Senate proceed to vote without intervening action or debate on the nominations in the order listed; that the motions to reconsider be considered made and laid upon the table with no intervening action or debate; that no further motions be in order; that the President be immediately notified of the Senate's actions and the Senate then resume legislative session.
(March 2, 2012.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:36 am 

Yesterday the Senate confirmed Mary Phillips to be a USDC Judge with a 95-2 vote. The Senate then voted to confirm Thomas Rice to be a USDC Judge with a 93-4 vote. No senator spoke either in favor of or in opposition to the Phillips nomination prior to the confirmation vote. Sen Cantwell (D-WA) spoke for less than a minute in favor of her home state nominee (Rice) prior to his vote. Sen Murray (D-WA) spoke in favor of Rice during morning business when senators are allowed to speak for 10 minutes on any topic. No other senator spoke prior to the vote.

Senators DeMint (R-SC) and Lee (R-UT) voted against both nominees. Senators Chambliss (R-GA) and Isakson (R-GA) voted against Rice.
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/r ... vote=00026
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/r ... vote=00027

Both nominees were unanimously favorably reported by the Judiciary Committee on October 13, 2011 and it still took the Majority Leader (Sen Reid) 5 months to get a confirmation vote for each that didn't have 5 senators in opposition.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:34 pm 

Yesterday the Senate Judiciary Committee favorably reported the nomination of Arizona Supreme Court Justice Andrew Hurwitz to be a Circuit Judge for the 9th Circuit by a 13-5 vote. This nomination will probably generate plenty of opposition in the Senate and likely be subject to a filibuster attempt.

The National Right To Life Committee (NRLC) opposes the Hurwitz nomination. The NRLC mentions a comment written by Hurwitz as "the clerk who wrote the Newman opinion". It appears Sen Grassley reads their press releases because he quoted the same in announcing his opposition during yesterdays Executive Business Meeting.
http://www.nrlc.org/Judicial/Hurwitz9th ... letter.pdf

Newman refers to then USDC Judge Jon O. Newman who was part of the 3 member panel which ruled on two abortion cases (Abele I and Abele II) prior to Roe v Wade. The article claims the Abele II decision was influenced by Hurwitz and that the Abele II decision was relied upon by several Supreme Court Justices when deciding Roe. That alone is enough for some Senators to oppose confirming Hurwitz to any government position.

The statement which received this attention follows (footnote 55).
Andrew Hurwitz wrote:
55 The author received some small inkling of the influence of Abele II on the Court’s thinking in the fall of 1972, when interviewing for clerkships at the Supreme Court. Justice Powell devoted over an hour of conversation to a discussion of Judge Newman’s analysis, while Justice Stewart (my future boss) jokingly referred to me as “the clerk who wrote the Newman opinion.” I assume that the latter was based on Judge Newman’s generous letter of recommendation, a medium in which some exaggeration is expected.
http://a.nyls.edu/user_files/1/3/4/17/4 ... 31-248.pdf

Sen Grassley's comments regarding the Hurwitz nomination start approximately at the 23:30 mark.
http://www.senate.gov/fplayers/jw57/com ... 12&st=1250

Pres Nixon nominated Newman to be a USDC Judge for the District of Connecticut in 1971. Pres Carter nominated Newman to be a Circuit Judge for the 2nd Circuit in 1979. Newman assumed senior status in 1997.

I regret we'll lose him from the Arizona Supreme Court, but I suppose we're better served with him on the 9th Circuit.

"What part of 'second' don't you understand?" -Judge Morrison England

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:03 am 

Sen Reid filed cloture motions today for 17 USDC nominees. A separate vote for each nominee will occur by Wednesday according to the AP.
Associated Press wrote:
Reid, if successful, would force a vote for the 17 district court nominees before the Senate, but not the five appellate court nominees. Appellate choices receive more detailed scrutiny because appeals courts are often the last word in deciding major issues — or are the last stop before a case reaches the Supreme Court.

"I urge Senate Republicans not to give way to political temptation by continuing to obstruct these district court nominations," Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., said. "Senators should debate, and then vote, on these non-controversial nominations, and not needlessly delay them any longer."
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... 3f149151c2

There are 18 senators on the Judiciary Committee, 10 Democratic and 8 Republican. Miranda Du received 8 nay votes when the Judiciary Committee voted to report her nomination. Mary Geiger Lewis and Jeffrey Helmick each received 6 nay votes. Brian Wimes and Timothy Hillman each received 1 nay vote. The other 12 nominees were reported by voice votes, probably unanimously.

As you can imagine, Republican senators are upset with Reid's cloture motions.
Sen Grassley wrote:
After the progress that’s been made, filing cloture on more than a dozen nominees is simply a ploy by the Majority Leader to build political rhetoric for the president.
http://www.grassley.senate.gov/news/Art ... 1502=39660

Note: Two of the five Circuit Court nominees were reported by voice votes last November (Stephanie Dawn Thacker, 4th Circuit) and December (Jacqueline Nguyen, 9th Circuit), both probably unanimously.

Edit: The Thacker and Nguyen voice votes were both unanimous.
http://www.leahy.senate.gov/press/press ... 34462fb3ed (bottom of next to last paragraph)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:19 pm 

The following is from Sen Leahy's Senate floor remarks regarding the Republican obstructionism of Pres Obama's judicial nominees.
Sen Leahy wrote:
Nominations to fill these critical positions, whether made by a Democratic or Republican President, have always been considered with deference to the home state Senators who know the nominees and their states best, and have always been confirmed quickly with that support. Never before in 37 years I have been in the Senate have I seen anything like what is currently happening. Never before in the Senate’s history have we seen these district court nominees blocked for months as we have seen since President Obama’s election.
<snipped>
Two weeks ago at a meeting of the Judiciary Committee, the Senator from Utah conceded that a “new standard” is being applied to President Obama’s nominations. He was only saying out loud what has been apparent from the start of President Obama's term—that Republican Senators have applied a different and unfair standard to President Obama's judicial nominees.
<snipped>
So, too, I expect the district court nominee to fill a judicial emergency vacancy in Utah, supported by Senator Hatch, will not be controversial once the vote takes place. The district court nominees to fill judicial emergency vacancies in Texas, supported by Senator Hutchison and Senator Cornyn, should easily be confirmed. The nominees to judicial emergency vacancies in Illinois supported by Senator Kirk, should not be controversial. The district court nominee in Louisiana supported by Senator Vitter, should not be controversial. The district court nominee in Missouri supported by Senator Blunt, should not be controversial. The district court nominee in Arkansas supported by Senator Boozman, should not be controversial. The district court nominee in Massachusetts supported by Senator Brown, should not be controversial. The district court nominee in South Carolina supported by Senator Graham, should not be controversial. The district court nominee in Ohio supported by Senator Portman, should not be controversial.
http://www.leahy.senate.gov/press/press ... 34462fb3ed

Judicial Nominations Confirmed:
Years..........President........District Court.......Circuit Court
2001-2002......Bush..................83....................17
2003-2004......Bush..................85....................18
2009-2010......Obama...............44....................16
2011-2012*.....Obama...............59....................10
Through March 13, 2012

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:00 pm 

Senate Republicans blink!
Senators Reid and McConnell announced a deal that includes confirmation votes for 2 Circit Court and 12 District Court nominees by May 2012. Reid axed the cloture motions for the 17 nominees previously filed as part of the deal.
Huffington Post wrote:
Under the deal, the Senate would vote on a total of 14 noncontroversial nominees by May 7, a dozen of them to U.S. District Court seats and a pair to the U.S. Circuit Court.
<snipped>
Under the deal, the Senate would consider two or three nominees a week before May 7. The nominees would fill District Court seats in West Virginia, Utah, California, New York, Virginia, Nevada, Louisiana, Texas, Missouri, Arkansas and Illinois. The others would fill vacancies on the 4th Circuit, which covers the Mid-Atlantic region and the 9th Circuit, which covers the West.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/1 ... 45442.html

Stephanie Dawn Thacker (4th) and Jacqueline Nguyen (9th) are the two Circuit Court nominees. The only USDC nominee for the District of Nevada that has been reported out of committee is Miranda Du. If Reid was successful in getting her included in this agreement, he deserves a huge compliment. Du is nowhere near a consensus nominee. Every Republican on the Judiciary Comittee voted against her.

I've been critical of Reid's leadership abilities in the past. I'm very pleased to see the Senate Majority Leader force this issue.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:54 am 

I've been critical of Reid's leadership abilities in the past. I'm very pleased to see the Senate Majority Leader force this issue.

About goddamn time. And yes, Reid growing a pair is nice.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:11 pm 

Huffington Post wrote:
Under the deal, the Senate would vote on a total of 14 noncontroversial nominees by May 7, a dozen of them to U.S. District Court seats and a pair to the U.S. Circuit Court.
<snipped>
Under the deal, the Senate would consider two or three nominees a week before May 7. The nominees would fill District Court seats in West Virginia, Utah, California, New York, Virginia, Nevada, Louisiana, Texas, Missouri, Arkansas and Illinois. The others would fill vacancies on the 4th Circuit, which covers the Mid-Atlantic region and the 9th Circuit, which covers the West.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/1 ... 45442.html

The 12 USDC nominees that were reported out of the Judiciary Committee on voice votes are:
Gina Marie Groh..................Northern District of West Virginia.....10/06/11
David O. Nuffer...................District of Utah..........................10/13/11
Michael Walter Fitzgerald.......Central District of California...........11/03/11
Ronnie Abrams...................Southern District of New York..........11/03/11
Rudolph Contreras...............District of the District of Columbia....11/03/11
Susie Morgan....................Eastern District of Louisiana............11/10/11
Gregg Jeffrey Costa............Southern District of Texas..............12/01/11
David Campos Guaderrama...Western District of Texas...............12/01/11
Kristine Gerhard Baker........Eastern District of Arkansas.............02/16/12
John Z. Lee.....................Northern District of Illinois...............02/16/12
George Levi Russell, III.......District of Maryland.......................02/16/12
John J. Tharp Jr................Northern District of Illinois..............02/16/12

Sen Lee (R-UT) began his practice of voting nay on reporting presidential nominations out of committee in 2012. All the 2011 voice votes were very probably unanimous. Those in 2012 probably are noted that one senator opposed. The 02/15/12 roll call vote for Timothy S. Hillman (District of Massachusetts) was 17-1.

I'll be interested in seeing who made the list of 12 (and finding out if Sen Lee votes against the confirmation of David Nuffer if he made the list).

Edit:
Salt Lake Tribune wrote:
The Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts considers the opening in Utah a "judicial emergency." The state has only three full-time federal judges; it should have five.
Lee won’t say whether he will vote for Nuffer, whom he supports, or vote against him in protest.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/5 ... t.html.csp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:27 pm 

The Senate voted today on 2 of the 14 judicial nominations resulting from the Reid-McConnell agreement. After Republican senators temporarily stopped their whining, the Senate confirmed Gina Marie Groh by a 95-2 vote. The Senate then confirmed Michael Fitzgerald by a 91-6 vote.

Senators DeMint (R-SC) and Lee (R-UT) voted against both nominees (big surprise). Senators Blunt (R-MO), Inhofe (R-OK), Paul (R-KY) and Vitter (R-Pampers) voted against Fitzgerald.
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/r ... vote=00049
http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/r ... vote=00050

Edit:
Salt Lake Tribune wrote:
Sen. Jim DeMint, R-S.C., is the only Republican who has joined Lee in his protest, while others, such as Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, say the fight is best waged through the courts.
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/politics/5 ... t.html.csp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:34 pm 

Vitter (R-Pampers)

=)) =))

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next