Four Americans killed in Libya

TexasFilly

Postby TexasFilly » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:15 am

I've just been reading over at TPM and the Daily Kos. They maintain the tweets from the Cairo Embassy occurred prior to the American Ambassador being killed, that Romney, who agreed not to campaign on 9/11, released his statement slamming the President at 10:30, before the President's statement. Is this timeline correct? It also appears that this film was made for one purpose: to incite riots in Muslim countries. Apparently the original was in English, and "someone" translated it into Arabic and posted it on the Internet. One can see from the Moronic statements, such as the offal Palin put on facebook, that these RWNJ American politicians don't consider Islam a true religion, and therefore think it's permissible to say and do the most extreme things they can think of to incite as much violence as possible. Patriots, my ass. I hope they find that Bacile guy and figure out a way to charge him with inciting the murder of the embassy staffs.

Emma

Postby Emma » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:21 am

If you mean the one on twitter, that was from the embassy in Cairo not Libya. It was reported that the Cairo embassy had been evacuated save just a few staff, so it shouldn't be too hard for the administration to identify the fool who was tweeting that nonsense.

It is the Tweeter twat to whom I was referring. I gather that most Tweets are posted from cell phones, so this person could have been anywhere in Cairo -- or anywhere else in the world. Hopefully, some employee will acknowledge having sent this if indeed it was done with an "official Twitter account" (a rather horrible notion).

Yeah, I didn't consider them being sent via phone.

mimi

Postby mimi » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:37 am

for the RWNJ's.weigel

Bush Administration on 2006 Danish Cartoons: "We Certainly Understand Why Muslims Would Find These Images Offensive"As our politics are overtaken by embassy-riot finger-pointing, it's worth remembering how the Bush administration attempted to finesse the 2006 protests of Danish cartoons that mocked Muhammed. (I think everybody knows this by now, but Muslims don't illustrate Muhammad in any form. Hence the outrage.) From February 2006:

The Muslim world erupted in anger on Friday over caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad published in Europe while the Bush administration offered the protesters support, saying of the cartoons, ''We find them offensive, and we certainly understand why Muslims would find these images offensive.'' ... The State Department spokesman, Sean McCormack, reading the government's statement on the controversy, said, ''Anti-Muslim images are as unacceptable as anti-Semitic images,'' which are routinely published in the Arab press, ''as anti-Christian images, or any other religious belief.'' Still, the United States defended the right of the Danish and French newspapers to publish the cartoons. ''We vigorously defend the right of individuals to express points of view,'' Mr. McCormack added.

[/break1]slate.com/blogs/weigel/2012/09/12/bush_administration_on_2006_danish_cartoons_we_certainly_understand_why_muslims_would_find_these_images_offensive_.html]http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2012/ ... sive_.htmli'm sick of all this religious stuff.i was always a live and let live kinda person. but religion is getting to me, and not in a good way.weigel also pointed to this hitchens post from 2006.[/break1]slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2006/02/stand_up_for_denmark.html]http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... nmark.html

TollandRCR

Postby TollandRCR » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:39 am

This is reminiscent of the outbreaks of riots that followed a Danish newspaper's publication of a series of cartoons, some of which would be considered blasphemous not only by Islam but, if changed in subject from Mohammed to XXXX, by any religion. I don't believe the cartoonist intended to cause riots, but I have never understood what he hoped to accomplish other than displaying freedom of the press. Bacile may or may not have intended to cause riots.It is also somewhat reminiscent of Geert Wilders' "Fitna," which was (according to its promoters) shown to the British House of Lords and to a conference at the Begin Center in Jerusalem on "Facing Jihad." It disappeared from the open Web until it reappeared on Daniel Pipes' hate site. As nearly as I can tell, no Jew had anything to do with this trash until Pipes stepped in.There was also the anti-Islam movie DVD that was sent as an insert to compliant newspapers. I acquired a copy from a friend but have never watched it. I don't think it was "Jihad." As President Bush eventually said (after using the word "crusade" earlier), we are not engaged in a war against Islam. We are engaged in an unconventional war against terrorists. It became the war on a noun, terrorism.Many of the Christianist supporters of a war on Islam harbor equally deep hatred of the faiths of most of the world's people. Some of them are haters of people who claim their own religion, persons whose creed or practice does not stand up to their scrutiny.

Emma

Postby Emma » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:41 am

I've just been reading over at TPM and the Daily Kos. They maintain the tweets from the Cairo Embassy occurred prior to the American Ambassador being killed, that Romney, who agreed not to campaign on 9/11, released his statement slamming the President at 10:30, before the President's statement. Is this timeline correct?

Seems to be, as I recall. The tweets went out earlier in the day, before the protests (which were reported to have been announced in advance), and they continued throughout the day, defending themselves and debating the issue with other users. RWNJs pounced on that, and Romney added his two cents, fueling the fire. 'Breaking news' that Clinton had confirmed an embassy official was killed in Libya came around 10:30, 11:00 last night, about the same time Romney's statement was being reported. I don't recall any of those reports giving the time Romney put this out, however.

verbalobe

Postby verbalobe » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:53 am

Several different camps of idiots are in play here.

Thanks for the summary, and thanks Emma & Mimi for the reporting.

Also there appears to be at least one camp of non-idiots, including Hilary Clinton and President Obama. We can hope that Arab leaders are in that camp, too.

I loved the diplomatic finesse of Clinton's first official statement, including that the US had reached out to the Libyan government for assistance. This is a stabilizing expression.

I despise those who play with fire for their own ends, shooting off ill-considered and destabilizing expressions. Yes, Romney/Palin, I'm looking at you.

TexasFilly

Postby TexasFilly » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:21 am

Steve Kornacki at Salon:

The foolishness of Romney’s reaction is glaring. Pretending that the statement from the U.S. embassy in Cairo was anything other than a completely understandable and reasonable attempt by its occupants to save their own lives borders on disgraceful. Romney’s implication that the statement was issued at the height of the attacks is also false; it was actually released earlier in the day, a preventive measure aimed at keeping the protests from turning violent.But this hasn’t stopped other Republicans – including RNC chairman Reince Priebus and Sarah Palin – from echoing the Romney line. Again, it probably shouldn’t be surprising. This is the kind of nonsense you’ll get when one party spends four years convincing itself that a president is something he isn’t.

[/break1]salon.com/2012/09/12/mitt%E2%80%99s_shameful_libya_statement/?utm_medium=twitter]http://www.salon.com/2012/09/12/mitt%E2 ... um=twitter

mimi

Postby mimi » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:53 am

the atlantic has more info on 'bacile'.

Sam Bacile: The Mysterious Filmmaker Who Set the Muslim World on Fire

John Hudson 10:10 AM ET

[snip]

He knew the film would lead to violence. To state the obvious, a film did not kill four U.S. officials in Libya today, that blame can only be placed on the religious extremists (allegedly Islamic) who fired gunshots and rocket-propelled grenades into the U.S. Embassy. But according to one of Bacile's consultants on the film, Steve Klein, the two knew full well that their incendiary movie would provoke violent reprisals. Klein told the Associated Press this morning that he warned Bacile “you’re going to be the next Theo van Gogh,” referring to the Dutch filmmaker murdered by a Muslim extremist in 2004. Klein said Bacile acknowledged that. “We went into this knowing this was probably going to happen,” he told the AP. Well gentlemen, congratulations, you got your violent reprisal.

He hates Islam with a passion In a telephone interview from his home, Bacile told The Wall Street Journal's Matt Bradley and Dion Nissenbaum that "Islam is a cancer" adding that "The movie is a political movie. It's not a religious movie."

He says he's a real estate tycoon. According to the Journal, Bacile described himself as an Israeli-American real estate developer in California. He said he financed the film with $5 million from 100 Jewish donors who he refused to identify. Little is available online about his business past. For what it's worth, Google is mystified by search queries for real estate developers by the name of Sam Bacile ("Did you mean: sam basel" it asks, pointing to a Colorado real estate developer).

http://cdn.theatlanticwire.com/img/upload/2012/09/12/rendered/b99596480106b5b8d57ca61ac43ca2fc_300x255.jpg

Prominent Jewish journalists like Jeffrey Goldberg and John Podhoretz were similarly puzzled by the thin details about Bacile. "I would love to know more about Mr. Sam Bacile, whom no Jew I know has ever heard, and his 100 mysterious backers," tweeted The Atlantic's Jeffrey Goldberg. "'Bacile' as a Jewish name is entirely new to me,'" added Commentary's John Podhoretz. "Doesn't mean it can't be one." Regardless, he appears to have relatives living in Egypt. Klein tells the AP that Bacile "is concerned for family members who live in Egypt." Bacile declined to comment on that. Whatever the case, he clearly has no problem going to great lengths to insult Muslims world-wide considering the content of his film.

more

[/break1]theatlanticwire.com/global/2012/09/sam-bacile-mysterious-filmmaker-who-set-muslim-world-fire/56777/]http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2 ... ire/56777/

hitch

Postby hitch » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:57 am

Senator McCain, Graham and Lieberman issued an excellent joint statement -- glad to see there are still Republicans who put US and foreign policy above presidential politics:

Despite this horrific attack, we cannot give in to the temptation to believe that our support for the democratic aspirations of people in Libya, Egypt, and elsewhere in the broader Middle East is naive or mistaken. We cannot resign ourselves to the false belief that the Arab Spring is doomed to be defined not by the desire for democracy and freedom that has inspired millions of people to peaceful action, but by the dark fanaticism of terrorists.To follow this misguided path would not only be a victory for the extremists and their associates, but a betrayal of everything for which Chris Stevens and his colleagues stood and gave their lives. In short, it would be a betrayal of our own best ideals as Americans and our own enduring interest in using our great influence to support the overwhelming majority of people in the Middle East who want to be free from the kinds of murderers and terrorists who killed our people [/break1]huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/12/libya-attack-leader-apologizes_n_1876711.html#30_senators-warn-not-to-abandon-arab-springterday]yeshttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0 ... ringterday in Benghazi.”

Romney is just an ass and I hope that most Americans see this as purely partisan attack and points out his major weakness in foreign policy.

SueDB

Postby SueDB » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:10 am

Rmoney has a foreign policy???? Ain't seen anything except the old "Kill em all and let God sort them out" crap.
You can follow the action, which gets you good pictures.
You can follow your instincts, which'll probably get you in trouble.
Or... you can follow the money - The Two Jakes -

verbalobe

Postby verbalobe » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:23 am

Romney is just an ass and I hope that most Americans see this as purely partisan attack and points out his major weakness in foreign policy.

Also, I hate the expression "wage an attack." While I see it has some usage in the wild, I think the sense of the word "wage" implies an ongoing effort ("wage war," "wage peace," etc.), not a single or even a series of single actions.

And while I am being a grammar curmudgeon: Really, Sarah?

The Islamic radicals claim that these attacks are [highlight=#ffff40]in protest to[/highlight] some film criticizing Islam...

In protest to? Really? Did you finish 8th grade?

Chilidog

Postby Chilidog » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:09 pm

I don't like conspiracy theories, but somehow, this all seems a bit staged. Sort of like Reagan and the hostage crisis.

mimi

Postby mimi » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:24 pm

I don't like conspiracy theories, but somehow, this all seems a bit staged. Sort of like Reagan and the hostage crisis.

CNN sez the attack was planned in advance. 'the attackers used the protest as a diversion'.other tweets saying similar.

Litlebritdifrnt2

Postby Litlebritdifrnt2 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:26 pm

From Twitter

US sources tell CNN say attackers who targeted consulate used protests against film as a diversion. Say attack was planned.

A Legal Lohengrin

Postby A Legal Lohengrin » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:26 pm

How come there is an Arabic translation of a movie nobody even knew existed until yesterday, that apparently was only "screened" once in an almost totally empty theater? How come a "filmmaker" has no IMDB entry, no Wikipedia entry, and apparently doesn't even exist, claims to be an Israeli Jew, but no Jewish people have ever heard of him, and claims to be supported by 100 imaginary Jews. How convenient that the "filmmaker" has all these attributes, and an Arabic translation of his nearly nonexistent movie magically appears in Egypt and Libya, exactly where they can cause the most damage.This guy may not be legally guilty of treason, but he is a moral traitor. If possible, he should be deported, preferably to Benghazi, stark naked with a "Muhammad Sucks" sign around his neck. Then he can explain himself in person.I am so sick of these right wing pigs. They are always so brave when it is someone else's ass on the line.

esseff44

Postby esseff44 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:30 pm

IMHO, this was entirely predictable. It's what I have been dreading. I hope it backfires.

Chilidog

Postby Chilidog » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:45 pm

I wonder if this filmmaker has any connection to Sheldon Adelson.

Addie

Postby Addie » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:58 pm

[/break1]wired.com/dangerroom/2012/09/marines-libya/]Wired: Danger Room

Marines Head to Libya After Mob Kills Ambassador

The Marine Corps is sending a complement of about 50 Marines to Libya in response to a violent attack that killed four Americans in Benghazi, including the U.S. ambassador to the country.

A Marine “FAST team” — for Fleet Anti-terrorism Security Team — will protect U.S. diplomatic personnel in Libya and is heading there now. Sources at the Department of Defense would not confirm if the FAST team, trained to respond to terrorist incidents and protect U.S. installations, will head to the capitol of Tripoli or the city of Benghazi, where the mob attacked.

There is a Marine FAST team headquartered in Rota, Spain, according to the Marine Corps, but it is not clear if that is the team heading to Libya.

There are two Americans confirmed dead in Libya: U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and a foreign service officer, Sean Smith, a U.S. Air Force veteran. Contrary to early media reports, it does not appear that two Marines were killed alongside Stevens and Smith. A Marine Corps official who would not speak for the record told Danger Room that the Corps did not and currently does not have assets in Benghazi. It is currently unclear who the two other Americans dead in Libya are.

Shut up! We can't hear the mimes! -Jacques Prévert, Les Enfants du Paradis

verbalobe

Postby verbalobe » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:28 pm

How come there is an Arabic translation of a movie nobody even knew existed until yesterday, that apparently was only "screened" once in an almost totally empty theater? How come a "filmmaker" has no IMDB entry, no Wikipedia entry, and apparently doesn't even exist, claims to be an Israeli Jew, but no Jewish people have ever heard of him, and claims to be supported by 100 imaginary Jews. How convenient that the "filmmaker" has all these attributes, and an Arabic translation of his nearly nonexistent movie magically appears in Egypt and Libya, exactly where they can cause the most damage.This guy may not be legally guilty of treason, but he is a moral traitor. If possible, he should be deported, preferably to Benghazi, stark naked with a "Muhammad Sucks" sign around his neck. Then he can explain himself in person.I am so sick of these right wing pigs. They are always so brave when it is someone else's ass on the line.

If I may add: The film is utter, unmitigated crap -- I almost find that the most suspicious part of this. Did any of you view it? It doesn't even make a passing pretense at being a bonafide 'work of art' in any sense. If your task was to deliver the absolute bare minimum with the maximum offense and provocation, this would be the result. The makeup looks like dirt. The most sophisticated effect is momentary zoom-cut to a christian cross. The 'acting' is nonexistent. There are no credits that I am aware of. It is pure agitprop of the most vile sort, with not a scintilla of redemptive value.And that's speaking as a student of cinema, and without regard to its actual content, veracity, etc.I am trying not to leap to judgment, but the 'film' itself is completely consistent with the following scenario:[*:3klu7xmc]US/international parties with an interest in Obama's failure decide to provoke a mideast incident as a Sept/Oct surprise.[*:3klu7xmc]They concoct a scheme for the film itself. It is the simplest straight-line idea for this objective[*:3klu7xmc]When it's ready to release, they alert anti-democratic forces in Libya (disaffected military/former Khaddafi loyalists) that there will be demonstrations[*:3klu7xmc]They provide a translation and make sure it is distributed accordingly.Did they also assure Romney his succession is assured?YMMV. Putting the tinfoil hat aside for the moment.

esseff44

Postby esseff44 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:34 pm

If you had an Intrade bet on something like this coming up, what would it have looked like. Easy money. Close to a sure thing as you are going to get.

TexasFilly

Postby TexasFilly » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:36 pm

The picture of the U.S. ambassador to Lybia being dragged through the streets of Lybia. Just as Reagan had to take over the U.S. Presidency to clean up Carter’s failure, Romney has to take over the U.S. Presidency to clean up Obama’s failure

I'm not linking to this. She actually posts pictures she claims to be the dead Chris Stevens "being dragged through the streets of Libya"!!! This woman is an inhuman PIG. :twisted:

mimi

Postby mimi » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:40 pm

this post in foreign policy talks about the differences between the responses by libya and egypt. egypt is failing in their response.worth a read, i think.[/break1]foreignpolicy.com/posts/2012/09/12/moments_of_truth_in_libya_and_egypt#.UFDGunP6BEI.twitter]http://lynch.foreignpolicy.com/posts/20 ... EI.twitter

tjh

Postby tjh » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:43 pm

This woman is an inhuman PIG. :twisted:

Similarly (link also intentionally omitted) :

Obama- is the greatest embarrassment to the U.S. Obama issues an apology to thugs, who attacked U.S. embassy in Egypt, torched U.S. flag, replaced it with a black Muslim flag, bombed and torched U.S. consulate in Lybia and murdered the U.S. ambassador and 3 other diplomates. Attorney Orly Taitz will argue injunctions banning Obama from the ballot. Upcoming hearings in MS, IN, TX, CA. Some of the pleadings and evidence attached

GreatGrey

Postby GreatGrey » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:51 pm

I've seen more than one report that the Ambassador either died from suffocation or smoke inhalation.The pictures do not show him being dragged, he's being carried. Could they possibly show him being rescued?

DaveMuckey

Postby DaveMuckey » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Al Jazz reports another promoter:

Morris Sadek, a Coptic Christian born in Egypt but who lives in the US, told AP he had been promoting the film on his website. He also tweeted a link to the trailer on September 9.Sadek, the head of the National American Coptic Assembly, is known for his vehemently anti-Islam views, and told the Wall Street Journal that “the violence that it [the film] caused in Egypt is further evidence of how violent the religion and people are”. http://goo.gl/ELBTK

We should revoke their citizenship and send them away.

Return to “► ► Breaking News ◄ ◄”