DIY

MsDaisy

DIY

Postby MsDaisy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:11 am

A little over a year ago I bought a new toaster because I was sick of the old one that would burn one side of the bread and not even warm the other side. About a week ago the handle on the new toaster broke. You could push it down, but it wouldn’t stay down and would pop straight back up again. The toaster disappeared into MrDaisy’s workshop, and then suddenly turned back up on the counter with a new addition. Me: What’s that?MrDaisy: The toaster.Me: Yea, but what’s that?MrDaisy: I fixed it, just leave it there it works fine like that. Me: Okay. The fix?[sekrit][attachment=0]Toaster.jpg[/attachment] :lol:[/sekrit]

Sugar Magnolia

DIY

Postby Sugar Magnolia » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:26 am

Straight out of thereifixedit.com!! Love it.

verbalobe

DIY

Postby verbalobe » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:30 am

If you want to know the real fix, here it is (it's pretty simple): [*:9zbjhvse]unplug the toaster. make sure it's cool.[*:9zbjhvse]disassemble enough of the outer frame and/or bottom casing to get access to the mechanism at the bottom of the handle's travel channel. [*:9zbjhvse]Some where around there will be (A) a flat metal plate about the size your fingernail that sits on top of a sandwiched stack of electromagnets. You should also see a (B) matching metal element (usually just a flimsy steel flange) aligned with it, that comes down when you push down the handle, and is supposed to "stick" (magnetically) to (A).[*:9zbjhvse]If the toaster is relatively new, the problem is probably that a thin layer of grease plus perhaps stray crumbs (even tiny ones) have accumulated on (A), preventing a clean magnetic bond. use a paper towel or DRY magic eraser to thoroughly clean the top surface of (A).[*:9zbjhvse]If the toaster is older, the problem can be that the contact at (A) has actually corroded, and you might need a little patch of fine steel wool or cloth-backed metal-grade sandpaper.[*:9zbjhvse]Reassemble. Plug in. Toast.

MsDaisy

DIY

Postby MsDaisy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:21 am

@ Verbie I passed along your instructions and MrDaisy is excited to give it a try. I imagine the toaster will disappear back into the workshop after he finishes his breakfast. Now he wants to know if you have any ideas on how to make the coils toast more evenly. It's not as bad as the old toaster, but has never toasted evenly either, and you've now become his toaster expert :lol: He promises an update on his progress soon and says thanks! :-bd

ObjectiveDoubter

DIY

Postby ObjectiveDoubter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:30 am

@ Verbie I passed along your instructions and MrDaisy is excited to give it a try. I imagine the toaster will disappear back into the workshop after he finishes his breakfast. Now he wants to know if you have any ideas on how to make the coils toast more evenly. It's not as bad as the old toaster, but has never toasted evenly either, and you've now become his toaster expert :lol: He promises an update on his progress soon and says thanks! :-bd

What impresses me is that the Daisy manse includes a workshop. Wow. The only time I have seen one is in the movies. And mostly horror movies. I own one screw driver (to change the blade in the one utility knife I own for opening Amazon packages), an Allen wrench for when the garbage disposal gets jammed. That's my workshop.

Dallasite
Location: About 40,000 light years from the center of the Milky Way Galaxy.

DIY

Postby Dallasite » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:34 am

See, now this is what I love about our little Fogbow family! We have experts her on everything from law to IT to toaster repair. :grouphug:

ZekeB

DIY

Postby ZekeB » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:36 am

I don't mean to throw cold water on anything, but that wouldn't explain why it toasts unevenly. Perhaps the side that doesn't toast is fed through the dirty contacts. Let us know if it works, Ms Daisy.

Sterngard Friegen

DIY

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:37 am

Many toasters have a "bagel" switch which toasts only on side of each piece of bread being inserted.

ObjectiveDoubter

DIY

Postby ObjectiveDoubter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:46 am

Many toasters have a "bagel" switch which toasts only on side of each piece of bread being inserted.

Fancy newer ones in Malibu-adjacent do, anyhow. :cry:

verbalobe

DIY

Postby verbalobe » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:59 am

I don't mean to throw cold water on anything, but that wouldn't explain why it toasts unevenly. Perhaps the side that doesn't toast is fed through the dirty contacts. Let us know if it works, Ms Daisy.

Originally, I thought the uneven toasting was only an issue of the previous toaster, that was replaced. MsDaisy only mentioned it is an issue of the current toaster AFTER I offered my ideas.That said, I've never successfully repaired unevenly heating or broken toaster elements. That fix has usually involved visiting the appliance section at a big box store. 8-)

realist

DIY

Postby realist » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:03 am

Cure for uneven toasting = Toaster Oven. :)

Whatever4

DIY

Postby Whatever4 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:22 am

Cure for all problems with toast: Gluten-free diet. GF bread is so foul it's a different species. You'll never need toast again.

MsDaisy

DIY

Postby MsDaisy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:55 am

Originally, I thought the uneven toasting was only an issue of the previous toaster, that was replaced. MsDaisy only mentioned it is an issue of the current toaster AFTER I offered my ideas.That said, I've never successfully repaired unevenly heating or broken toaster elements. That fix has usually involved visiting the appliance section at a big box store. 8-)

True, I didn’t even know about the uneven toasting with this toaster because I’m with realist, I prefer the toaster oven. But Stern was right, (imagine that :lol: ) there is a bagel button on there! I didn’t know that either. MrDaisy knew it was there but didn’t know it only toasted one side with that setting. MrDaisy is getting all excited about the wealth of DIY knowledge on TFB!OD, we need to get you a workshop! You’d be surprised at what you can do if ya haz the right tools. I even have a “yard purse” I carry around the property with a screwdriver, pliers, wire cutters, small hammer, tape measure, and an assortment of other doodads I might possibly need when out and about. Around here you never know and it sure beats walking all the way back to the house to get a tool to fix something that could have been fixed before you got to the house and back. :lol:

esseff44

DIY

Postby esseff44 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:11 am

Cure for uneven toasting = Toaster Oven. :)

Agreed. Toaster can only be used for toasting. I use my toaster oven more than the oven and microwave combined. It's a much more efficient use of space and energy.

Sterngard Friegen

DIY

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:14 am

:rockon:

Chilidog

DIY

Postby Chilidog » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:49 am

I'm having issues with my hot water heater. The pilot light keeps going out. I have to stop at the hardware store for a new coil brush and some 1/4' piping to get under it and blow the lint off the flame arrest or screen.

esseff44

DIY

Postby esseff44 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:52 am

I'm having issues with my hot water heater. The pilot light keeps going out. I have to stop at the hardware store for a new coil brush and some 1/4' piping to get under it and blow the lint off the flame arrest or screen.

When I have had these issues, I call PG & E and they do it for me. They have all the tools and expertise and make a quick job of it while checking everything else as well.

MsDaisy

DIY

Postby MsDaisy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:12 pm

Cure for all problems with toast: Gluten-free diet. GF bread is so foul it's a different species. You'll never need toast again.

Okay W4, you just HAD to mention “Gluten Free” didn’t ya! :x Now I have this song going through my head over and over and over, ever since I read your post and it won't stop!You Goober! :lol:

ObjectiveDoubter

DIY

Postby ObjectiveDoubter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:17 pm

When I have had these issues, I call PG & E and they do it for me. They have all the tools and expertise and make a quick job of it while checking everything else as well.

Oh, no. In June, I called a plumber for just this problem. He told me I needed a new water heater. $1,300. This underscores the problem of growing up in the 1950s to be a HELPLESS girl. http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv211/twangerstudios/meisjedanst.gifHalf of my life would be Comedy Central -- were it not for the $$$ that goes with it. (But my toaster gives me an even, perfect piece of nice brown bread every time. Of course, I don't know why or how.)

MsDaisy

DIY

Postby MsDaisy » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:10 pm

Oh, no. In June, I called a plumber for just this problem. He told me I needed a new water heater. $1,300. This underscores the problem of growing up in the 1950s to be a HELPLESS girl [-( strong and capable woman. http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv211/twangerstudios/meisjedanst.gif

Half of my life would be Comedy Central -- were it not for the $$$ that goes with it. ([highlight=#ffff80]But my toaster gives me an even, perfect piece of nice brown bread every time[/highlight]. Of course, I don't know why or how.)

What kind of toaster do you have?

Whatever4

DIY

Postby Whatever4 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:57 pm

My dad was brilliant but without a lick of common sense. Typical absent-minded professor-type. A solution was always found, but there was no need to fide the best solution. The first solution was always fine. Example: Dad installed a new faucet set because the old one was busted. The new left knob was labeled "Cold", the right was was labeled "Hot" because that's how he pulled the pieces from the box. We merrily lived with that for 10 years until a young W2 came over to dinner and volunteered to help his future mother-in-law clean up after dinner. "B-b-but it said COLD," he said as we applied ice to the burns. Of course the water was set alarmingly high. Duh.

W2 was the third of 3 boys. His mother cried when he was born -- she wanted a girl. His oldest brother could build a lovely house using a Swiss Army Knife and a stack of pallets. The middle brother could do that in the style of 1863 (Civil War re-enactor.) W2 isn't sure which end of a hammer you use on a nail. He's willing to pay money for someone to put together Ready-To-Assemble furniture. IKEA gives him hives. He thinks we rent our condo with a REALLY big security deposit. He thought dad was "quirky."

Dad kept losing his car keys, so he hot-wired the car in the 1970s. You sort of waved a screwdriver under the steering wheel to start it. (I never drove, so I'm not sure exactly how it worked without electrocuting someone.)

8>

ObjectiveDoubter

DIY

Postby ObjectiveDoubter » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:32 pm

Oh, no. In June, I called a plumber for just this problem. He told me I needed a new water heater. $1,300. This underscores the problem of growing up in the 1950s to be a HELPLESS girl [-( strong and capable woman. http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv211/twangerstudios/meisjedanst.gif

Half of my life would be Comedy Central -- were it not for the $$$ that goes with it. ([highlight=#ffff80]But my toaster gives me an even, perfect piece of nice brown bread every time[/highlight]. Of course, I don't know why or how.)

What kind of toaster do you have?

Oh, I think it is an Oster. I also have a toaster oven, but hardly ever use it because I have set it on fire a few times. (Another Comedy Central... thanks for saying I am strong and capable. I think I am in many ways, but when it comes to the house, especially the kitchen, I am a total wrecking crew despite great intentions.)

I like the Oster because you can put in the big center-of-the-loaf pieces of sourdough. The slots are really that long. And the setting dial is 100 percent on, even after some years ... light still comes out light, dark is really, really dark and the middle is just right for me.

Sterngard Friegen

DIY

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:16 pm

Still getting NO RESPECT for my bagel setting observation. :((

DaveMuckey

DIY

Postby DaveMuckey » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:25 pm

I use the bagel setting on ours all the time. It also works great for hamburger buns. I got tired of sacrificing them to the bun god on the grill.

MaineSkeptic

DIY

Postby MaineSkeptic » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:28 pm

You deserve all the respect in the world.I toast a lot of bagels, and I find myself tilting the toaster against the wall to move the cut sides of the bagel halves closer to the heating elements. Then I have to keep the toaster from falling over by anchoring it with a water bottle. Sometimes the whole thing collapses and disaster ensues, and it always happens before I've had my first cup of coffee.I wish my toaster had a bagel button. All respect where it's due.

Return to “Teh Funny Stuffs”