Voter Rights - Voter Suppression - War on Voting

mimi

Postby mimi » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:45 pm

I couldn't find the topic. :-? So I'm gonna dump a few pieces I read recently here.

the latest from Wisconsin. The employees are instructed that they shouldn't offer free ID.

You can still vote for free in Wisconsin, if you ask

By Laura Conaway

-

Wed Sep 7, 2011 1:20 PM EDT

Steve Krieser

Under Wisconsin's new law to make voting harder, you have to present a valid photo ID at the polling place. One acceptable form comes from the Division of Motor Vehicles. The IDs normally cost $28, but you can get one for free -- just don't expect anyone at the DMV to tell you that.

The Madison Capital Times today posts a memo from a Wisconsin Department of Transportation executive directing employees not to offer the ID for free:

While you should certainly help customers who come in asking for a free ID to check the appropriate box, you should refrain from offering the free version to customers who do not ask for it.

Steve Krieser, the memo's author, previously worked as a Republican chief of staff in the state legislature. Mr. Krieser tells the Cap-Times that the DMV plans to post signs telling people how to ask for free IDs. "He says the signs are 'in the design phase' and could not give a date when they would be placed in DMV offices," the Cap-Times reports.

[/break1]msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/09/07/7651453-you-can-still-vote-for-free-in-wisconsin-if-you-ask]http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2 ... if-you-ask

As I previously posted, Wisconsin had also planned to shut down a bunch of DMV offices, but backed down due to protests. I did not know that, according to the above blogger, those offices were mainly in Democrat Districts.

Ari Berman did a piece for Rolling Stone a couple weeks ago. Idunno if I posted it or not:

The GOP War on Voting

In a campaign supported by the Koch brothers, Republicans are working to prevent millions of Democrats from voting next year

All told, a dozen states have approved new obstacles to voting. Kansas and Alabama now require would-be voters to provide proof of citizenship before registering. Florida and Texas made it harder for groups like the League of Women Voters to register new voters. Maine repealed Election Day voter registration, which had been on the books since 1973. Five states – Florida, Georgia, Ohio, Tennessee and West Virginia – cut short their early voting periods. Florida and Iowa barred all ex-felons from the polls, disenfranchising thousands of previously eligible voters. And six states controlled by Republican governors and legislatures – Alabama, Kansas, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Wisconsin – will require voters to produce a government-issued ID before casting ballots. More than 10 percent of U.S. citizens lack such identification, and the numbers are even higher among constituencies that traditionally lean Democratic – including 18 percent of young voters and 25 percent of African-Americans.

Taken together, such measures could significantly dampen the Democratic turnout next year – perhaps enough to shift the outcome in favor of the GOP. "One of the most pervasive political movements going on outside Washington today is the disciplined, passionate, determined effort of Republican governors and legislators to keep most of you from voting next time," Bill Clinton told a group of student activists in July. "Why is all of this going on? This is not rocket science. They are trying to make the 2012 electorate look more like the 2010 electorate than the 2008 electorate" – a reference to the dominance of the Tea Party last year, compared to the millions of students and minorities who turned out for Obama. "There has never been in my lifetime, since we got rid of the poll tax and all the Jim Crow burdens on voting, the determined effort to limit the franchise that we see today."

read it here:

[/break1]rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-gop-war-on-voting-20110830]http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/ne ... g-20110830

An InfoGraphic on how far the changes have come affecting students ability to vote.

[imgwidth=640]http://images.fastcompany.com/upload/student_voting_laws_by_state-750.jpg[/imgwidth]:

About that graphic:

[/break1]fastcodesign.com/1663567/infographic-of-the-day-the-gops-war-against-the-youth-vote]http://www.fastcodesign.com/1663567/inf ... youth-vote

There are so many states under attack now.

I still can't believe the League of Women Voters won't be registering people to vote in Florida. That's covered in the Rolling Stone piece, or here:

[/break1]talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/07/florida_league_of_women_voters_drops_registration.php]http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.c ... ration.php

Clairez

Postby Clairez » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:15 am

See that's where all the Republicans wrapping themselves in the flag is a sham. If they had true American values and any ethics at all, they would be trying to make sure that everyone possible would vote. They should be ashamed of themselves. [-X

Emma

Postby Emma » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:55 am

See that's where all the Republicans wrapping themselves in the flag is a sham. If they had true American values and any ethics at all, they would be trying to make sure that everyone possible would vote. They should be ashamed of themselves. [-X

But they have no shame. They can't win on the issues. They have to resort to dirty tricks and BS like this.

Emma

Postby Emma » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:19 am

[/break1]blog.rockthevote.com/2011/07/partisan-spat-over-rides-to-sc-dmv.html]http://www.blog.rockthevote.com/2011/07 ... c-dmv.htmlIf you need help getting an ID or to the DMV, the Governor’s office number is 803-734-2100. Make sure to tip your shuttle driver.Fun side note: ThinkProgress determined driving the 178,000 currently registered voters disenfranchised voters would take the Governor just over 7 years, 4 months, 3 weeks and 5 days. If there’s no traffic.

Whatever4

Postby Whatever4 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:15 pm

[link]96-Year-Old Tennessee Woman Denied Voter ID Because She Didn’t Have Her Marriage License,http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2011/10/05/336392/96-year-old-tennessee-woman-denied-voter-id-because-she-didnt-have-her-marriage-license/[/link]

Swept up in the craze of preventing widespread voter fraud that doesn’t actually exist, Tennessee Republicans passed a voter identification law this year that they claimed would put an end to fraud and ensure fair elections. Like similar laws in other states, Tennessee’s version has come under scrutiny from voting rights advocates, civil rights groups like the NAACP and ACLU, and even Democratic senators, who oppose the laws because they will disenfranchise poor, elderly, and minority voters who are less likely to have photo IDs.The state now has evidence that that will be the case. Dorothy Cooper, a 96-year-old Chattanooga resident who says she has voted in every election but one since she became eligible to vote, wanted to ensure she’d have the necessary ID to vote in next year’s elections, when Tennessee’s law goes into effect. But when she went to apply for the ID, she was denied...Cooper doesn’t have a driver’s license — she never learned to drive — and has never needed identification to vote, and her lack of a valid marriage license is likely due to the fact that she’s outlived two husbands. Under the Tennessee law, Cooper will still be able to vote via absentee ballot, which does not require photo ID. But standing outside her normal voting precinct, Cooper told the Times Free Press she will miss going there to vote. “We always come here to vote,” Cooper said. “The people who run the polls know everybody here.”

Something men rarely have to provide. [-X

esseff44

Postby esseff44 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:18 pm

Well, she had better stay out of Alabama where she could be picked up and held indefinitely because she could not prove she was here legally.

Curious Blue

Postby Curious Blue » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:38 am

From: [/break1]cnn.com/2012/03/12/politics/texas-voter-law/index.html?hpt=hp_]http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/12/politics/ ... ml?hpt=hp_

A controversial new Texas law requiring voters to present personal identification before going to the polls has been blocked by the Obama administration.In a letter Monday to state officials, the Justice Department said the legislation could have a discriminatory effect on Hispanics and other minorities.Texas is among eight states to require official photo identification in an effort to stop what officials say is voter fraud. Opponents of the laws say they disenfranchise poor, minority and disabled voters.The department concluded there is little evidence of voter fraud in Texas warranting the legislative changes.

Addie

Postby Addie » Fri May 18, 2012 2:35 pm

[/break1]reuters.com/article/2012/05/18/us-voting-rights-appeal-idUSBRE84H0TX20120518]Reuters

Appeals court affirms minority voting rights law

(Reuters) - A federal appeals court on Friday upheld a key provision of the landmark U.S. voting rights law aimed at protecting minorities in states and local areas with a history of racial discrimination.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in a 2-1 decision said Congress did not exceed its power by renewing a requirement that nine states, mostly in the South, and dozens of local governments with a history of racial discrimination get federal permission to change their election procedures. ...

Two members of the three-judge panel found that substantial evidence of recent voting discrimination in the legislative record justified the law's extension into the 21st Century. ...

Shelby County, Alabama, sued in 2010, challenging the law as an impermissible federal encroachment on state sovereignty that was no longer needed after more than 40 years of progress in fighting discrimination. ...

In a separate case, the D.C. Circuit on Friday dismissed a similar challenge brought by Kinston, North Carolina. The court found that the city no longer had a right to challenge Section 5 because the Justice Department had decided to approve a change to the city's election law after the suit was filed.

Shut up! We can't hear the mimes! -Jacques Prévert, Les Enfants du Paradis

borealis

Postby borealis » Thu May 31, 2012 9:32 pm

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/05/justice_department_demands_florida_stop_purging_voter_rolls.phpGuess 182,000 voters will be returned to the rolls now thanks to Ed Schultz banging hard on that drum.

DaveMuckey

Postby DaveMuckey » Thu May 31, 2012 10:38 pm

Perhaps a Greenie could pull the Florida issues over to this thread.

[link]2012:Florida,http://goo.gl/8oHro[/link]

borealis

Postby borealis » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:40 pm

[/break1]com/cartoon/display.cfm/111778/]Definition of an ineligible voter :mrgreen:[edit]Cross-posted on Hijack Thread[/edit]

borealis

Postby borealis » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:47 pm

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/549516_518777594814594_135963407_n.jpg

esseff44

Postby esseff44 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:52 pm

[/break1]msnbc.msn.com/id/3036697/ns/msnbc-hardball_with_chris_matthews/#48707632]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036697/ns/ ... /#48707632The segment is about the PA voter law that was just upheld by an appellant judge and is on its way to the Supreme Court. When he got to the part about Chief Justice Ron Castille, the old memory bells started chiming and ringing and clanging. I know that name. Could it be the same as an old classmate? And so he is. I still can't quite remember the details, but he was someone I had high regard for . I also remember the incident when he was wounded in March, 1967 in Quang Ngai Province. I was down in Mekong Delta at the time.[/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Castille]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_CastilleI will be very surprised if this blatant attempt at voter suppression gets a pass from this state Supreme Court.

mary

Postby mary » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:53 pm

From the [link]Columbus OH Dispatch,http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/08/19/fight-over-poll-hours-isnt-just-political.html[/link]

“I guess I really actually feel we shouldn’t[highlight=#ffff40]contort the voting process to accommodate the urban — read African-American — voter-turnout machine,[/highlight]” said Doug Preisse, chairman of the [Franklin] county Republican Party and elections board member who voted against weekend hours, in an email to The Dispatch. “Let’s be fair and reasonable.”He called claims of unfairness by Ohio Democratic Chairman Chris Redfern and others “bullshit. Quote me!”

Husted may prove to be worse than Blackwell.

mimi

Postby mimi » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:27 am

Wow. He said that in an email? It's picked up.

“I guess I really actually feel we shouldn’t contort the voting process to accommodate the urban — read African-American — voter-turnout machine,” Doug Preisse, chairman of the Montgomery Board County, told The Columbus Dispatch in an email over the weekend. The admission to outright racism came at the height of a controversy regarding weekend voting in Montgomery County. Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted is trying to enforce uniform in-person early voting hours with no weekend voting across the state to avoid any discrepancies that caused a previous controversy, but county Democrats in Dayton wanted to have weekend voting anyway. When county Democrats refused to back down in a Board of Elections meeting, Husted, the state official who is supposed to empower voters as much as possible, suspended them from the Board. The move sparked criticism from state Democrats, which eventually led to the county Republican chairman’s admission to playing racial politics.

[/break1]citybeat.com/cincinnati/blog-3843-morning_news_and_stuff.html]http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/blog ... stuff.html

Ohio Republican: Early voting should not accomodate black votersby Carrie Healey | August 20, 2012 at 10:30 AM

[/break1]com/2012/08/20/ohio-republican-early-voting-should-not-accomodate-black-voters/]http://thegrio.com/2012/08/20/ohio-repu ... ck-voters/

Ohio Republican Stands By Jab At Black Turnout “Machine”“I said I believe that there’s a line of how far that taxpayers should have to go to match a specific political operation, and that’s what I mean,” Preisse tells BuzzFeed. Democrats cry suppression. Posted Aug 19, 2012 7:46pm EDTA top Ohio Republican Sunday stood by his comment that the state's voting procedures shouldn't be "contort[ed] to accommodate the urban — read African-American — voter-turnout machine."In an interview with BuzzFeed, Franklin County GOP Chairman Doug Preisse, a close ally of Governor John Kasich, said his comment — which provoked Democratic outrage — was simply straight talk.Democrats "are trying to say that I had somehow consciously constrained hours for that purpose," Preisse said. "No, I am saying the opposite, that I am asking the question, and I am indeed questioning how far this process of democratic, small ‘d’, democratic voting process should be contorted to favor a political operation. I don’t think we should go overboard in doing that."

[/break1]buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/ohio-republican-stands-by-jab-at-black-turnout-ma]http://www.buzzfeed.com/chrisgeidner/oh ... turnout-mamore at those links.

Patagoniagirl

Postby Patagoniagirl » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:46 am

I've known for most of my life that racism bubbles just beneath the surface in American Society. What surprises me these days is that recently, Republican leaders seem to feel absolutely no shame in voicing it, hitching their wagons to racist groups, churches and individuals.

June bug

Postby June bug » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:32 pm

I've known for most of my life that racism bubbles just beneath the surface in American Society. What surprises me these days is that recently, Republican leaders seem to feel absolutely no shame in voicing it, hitching their wagons to racist groups, churches and individuals.

Demographics make it clear that Republicans' only chance to retain power in the long run is to enshrine the suppression of minority voting rights in law. They've managed to do just that in quite a few places already, but not enough for that "long run". However, if they maintain the power they won in state legislatures and governorships in 2010 they may be able to achieve their goal. So they appeal directly to the worst instincts of human nature to gin up the vote of the bigoted and the fearful.Welcome to the 21st Century version of the Poll Tax.

Foggy

Postby Foggy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:45 am

A guy in my wife's office is a birther. Moreover, he said "and if anyone wants to call me a racist, I'm good with that too."Five years ago, I don't think most people in a professional workplace felt comfortable announcing that they were racist. I thought we'd won some sort of victory over racism in 2008. Boy was I naive to think such a stupid thought.
"The only thing more dangerous than an idea is a belief. And by dangerous I don't mean thought-provoking. I mean: might get people killed." - Sarah Vowell

mary

Postby mary » Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:08 pm

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but OH SOS Jon Husted has just fired the two Democratic members of the Montgomery County BOE for trying to restore weekend voting.Full story [link]here,http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/08/28/husted-fires-two-officials.html[/link].What country are we living in?

esseff44

Postby esseff44 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:44 pm

Let's hope that it results in a huge backlash of people who resent having people trying to keep them from voting and it makes them mad enough to do whatever it takes to vote them out.

TollandRCR

Postby TollandRCR » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:49 pm

I thought we'd won some sort of victory over racism in 2008. Boy was I naive to think such a stupid thought.

We will be trying to figure out what 2008 meant for quite a while. I think an argument can be made that there was a victory over racism in 2008, but it was only a battle. The racists came back in force and want to win the war. 2008 galvanized something that has been there since our beginning, our inheritance of racism from Europe. The white male supremacists recognize full well that this is a do-or-die time for them.

mimi

Postby mimi » Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:16 am

http://m.static.newsvine.com/servista/imagesizer?file=laura-conaway4C7991F7-37D8-F8F4-D94C-37524D5BCE10.jpg&width=600[/break1]msnbc.com/_news/2012/08/28/13534859-chart-floridas-voter-registration-collapse?lite]http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2012/ ... lapse?liteI didn't see maddow yet.

TollandRCR

Postby TollandRCR » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:03 am

Does a Florida voter have to re-register for every election or every four years or something like that? If not, then we may be looking at new registrations. All those 2008 registered voters are still there.If that is the case, the reason for Republican registrations may be clear: there was still a fight in the Republican party in July, 2012. None in the Democratic party.This is the Republican-Democratic gap that various organizations are trying to fix: Republicans are more likely to register and more likely to vote.

verbalobe

Postby verbalobe » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:56 am

This is the Republican-Democratic gap that various organizations are trying to fix: Republicans are more likely to register and more likely to vote.

Republicans (more affluent) are also more likely to be able to register themselves without assistance.

Meanwhile groups that target at risk populations (League of Women Voters, etc.) had their registration drive activities restricted or eliminated by law. Those efforts [/break1]miamiherald.com/2012/06/06/2836567/league-of-women-voters-to-restart.html]resumed in June and Democratic registrations in June/July reportedly picked up significantly. But they are still subject to new administrative burdens.

Return to “General Politics”