Gardening 2012

insomnia

Gardening 2012

Postby insomnia » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:12 pm

The guy that writes the critter column for the SJ Merc swears by planting some catnip plants (3-4 of 'em) in the garden. Kittehs don't poop or pee where they got them some nip. For raised beds? Catnip plants are cheap; spread 'em around.

I never thought about it, but it might be true. I have several garden areas and although the stray kittehs poop in the flowers (a lot!) I have never seen cat poops in either of the two herb gardens. :-k

MsDaisy

Gardening 2012

Postby MsDaisy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:46 am

Does anyone know if Lupine will grow under (or near) Black Walnut trees? I’ve searched and found lists of things that will and won’t grow there, but Lupine aren’t on either list.

realist

Gardening 2012

Postby realist » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:17 am

While the ground is still too cold here to plant, I have a lot of extra work to do this year before any plants/seeds go in the ground.Last weekend, while experiencing sustained hurricane-force winds, my backyard fence was blown down, and worst of all, my pride and joy, my golf practice area was destroyed. :(( The fence is strewn over the large flower bed and he fence AND the golf practice area debris are covering the veggie garden area. :(
ImageX 3 (have met 31 Obots at meetups) Image X 4

MsDaisy

Gardening 2012

Postby MsDaisy » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:49 am

:o OMG! I’m so sorry realist, sounds like a real mell of a hess. If we were neighbors, I’d come help. :hug:

SueDB

Gardening 2012

Postby SueDB » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:31 am

Goodness, I am glad you are OK. :o
"Scientific Research: A whole lotta tedious attention to detail followed
by a lovely payoff too esoteric for your friends to understand."
anon--

realist

Gardening 2012

Postby realist » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:34 am

Thanks, MsDaisy and SueDB. Luckily none of the trees were uprooted (although many were around town) although there are a lot of branches on the ground as well, and a gazillion pine cones. :lol: It'll just take some time and patience and lotsa work, but I'll get 'er done eventually.

SueDB

Gardening 2012

Postby SueDB » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:37 am

Couple of weeks ago, had the snow/freezing rain/snow/ice storm trick. The trees got so top heavy with ice that the leaf (not fir) trees almost all broke their tops from the weight. There are a couple of weird looking Douglas Fir in the neighborhood. I'll see if I have a pic around. I was too busy staying warm to take a bunch of pics.
"Scientific Research: A whole lotta tedious attention to detail followed
by a lovely payoff too esoteric for your friends to understand."
anon--

kate520

Gardening 2012

Postby kate520 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:40 am

Thanks, Estiveo :xo . I'm getting catnip this afternoon! Both my kittehs are big fans of the nip. 8-)

Vice President Maru

Gardening 2012

Postby Vice President Maru » Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:05 pm

While the ground is still too cold here to plant, I have a lot of extra work to do this year before any plants/seeds go in the ground.Last weekend, while experiencing sustained hurricane-force winds, my backyard fence was blown down, and worst of all, my pride and joy, my golf practice area was destroyed. :(( The fence is strewn over the large flower bed and he fence AND the golf practice area debris are covering the veggie garden area. :(

I haz a sad.

Plutodog

Gardening 2012

Postby Plutodog » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:13 pm

I haz a sad.

Me too. Sorry realist. ?(
We are not sinners. We are not abominations. We were not born broken, and we do not need salvation. We have embraced our right to think beyond the boundaries of religion. We are living and loving our lives free from faith. -- Sarah Morehead

realist

Gardening 2012

Postby realist » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:14 pm

I haz a sad.

:hug: :xo

realist

Gardening 2012

Postby realist » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:14 pm

Thanks, Dawg.

kate520

Gardening 2012

Postby kate520 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:05 pm

I haz a sad but also...Just think, now you can make those improvements you've been thinking about but were just too much trouble! ;;) :roll:

Vice President Maru

Gardening 2012

Postby Vice President Maru » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:41 pm

I haz a sad but also...Just think, now you can make those improvements you've been thinking about but were just too much trouble! ;;) :roll:

Or he could make improvements to my house. :-

ZekeB

Gardening 2012

Postby ZekeB » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:19 pm

Methinks I know what improvements the lass has in mind. :-

realist

Gardening 2012

Postby realist » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:15 pm

:D

Whatever4

Gardening 2012

Postby Whatever4 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:50 pm

Do you have room for a putting green?

Taverl

Gardening 2012

Postby Taverl » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:55 pm

Do you have room for a putting green?

Not with the planned expansion to accommodate the new walk-in shoe closet.

Estiveo

Gardening 2012

Postby Estiveo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Ms. Daisy:Lupine doesn't like being near any trees. Lupine likes sunny, rocky, scrubby, grassy, soil-poor wastelands.I do know of one spectacular field near me where they bloom about a month later than anywhere else and it's like a sea of purple...cattle are involved, as is a creek running right down the middle of the pasture.FWIW, teh purple lupines are blooming now where I'm at, about 3 weeks early. The white lupines follow when the purple ones are dying out and the yellow ones appear not long after that.In other wildflower news, I saw a new one I've never seen before the other day. Bright red, and there were several of them on this hillside, but they're on an area of road that it's not safe for me to try and take a photo...I'll keep looking, they gotta be somewhere else that I can take a pic.
Image x2 Image Image Image Image

borealis

Gardening 2012

Postby borealis » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:23 am

Thanks, Estiveo :xo . I'm getting catnip this afternoon! Both my kittehs are big fans of the nip. 8-)

My kitties preferred catmint to catnip. It's prettier and blooms with purple flowers most of the summer. Doesn't grow rampantly like catnip. It forms a big fat ball.

Estiveo

Gardening 2012

Postby Estiveo » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:07 am

My kitties preferred catmint to catnip. It's prettier and blooms with purple flowers most of the summer. Doesn't grow rampantly like catnip. It forms a big fat ball.

Wait, what? Are catnip and catmint not the same thing? I has a confuzzled. :-k

insomnia

Gardening 2012

Postby insomnia » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:37 am

Wait, what? Are catnip and catmint not the same thing? I has a confuzzled. :-k

Catnip and Catmint are both Nepeta - but Catnip is an herb. It has very small white flowers and is grown for its leaves. Catmint is a perennial flowering plant. It is related to catnip but is grown for its large purple flowers. Catnip is a LOT stronger and can smell a little "skunky" when fresh. Catmint leaves have a more floral/minty scent.I grow both - I love the catmint flowers and I love the scent of the leaves. "Walkers Low" is a really nice catmint and it flowers in partial shade.Of my 10 cats only 1 (Ramses) likes the catmint at all. But even he likes catnip better.If you are trying to attract cats go for the catnip. If you have a spot in sun or partial shade and want a nice perennial catmint is very nice.Hope that helps!

Estiveo

Gardening 2012

Postby Estiveo » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:50 am

Gotta lurve learning new stuff on teh Fogbow. Thanks, Insomnia, I did not know that. Now I do. :-bd You rock! I'll try and 'splain it to my cats, but you know how cats are. :roll:

borealis

Gardening 2012

Postby borealis » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:58 am

[/break1]wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepeta]Catmint and CatnipActually Insomnia they're both members of the mint family. I regard them as fraternal twins.I think catnip, nepeta cataria, is ugly and very weedy.Catmint, nepeta x faasenii, is lovely and fairly drought tolerant. Some varieties and grow to 4 feet high and 4 feet around.However, we had a cat that preferred catnip and would ignore the catmint. The other cats would go bonkers with the catmint and ignored the nip. grow the nip in a pot if you don't want it to escape. The catmint makes a pretty addition to your rose garden.

insomnia

Gardening 2012

Postby insomnia » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:17 am

I've never had a problem with catnip escaping, but I have heavy clay soil. Plus the kittehs eat and roll in it so much they tend to crush it. By the end of the summer it's usually pretty dead. I have to replant every year.

I do love catmint near roses! They make a lovely combination.

I always plant my mints in the ground - but in a large pot with the bottom knocked out of it. I leave the rim about 5 inches above the soil so the mint can't get over or under the pot. I just wished I learned that trick before I planted the evil Lemon Balm. It is obviously bent on world domination - starting with my yard! :((

Return to “The Lounge”