SCOTUS

tek

SCOTUS

Post by tek »

On MSNBC right now they are calling bullshit on the "my wife did it" story..
p0rtia

SCOTUS

Post by p0rtia »

bob wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:45 pm
p0rtia wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:55 amAnd I want to know what the neighbor's sign actually said.

Thanks, Bob.

I had read those tweets -- Shannon Bream is a right-wing writer, with a connection to Fox. I don't know anything good or bad about her, so I have no doubt that she did talk to Alito. But she gives only what Alito said, and did not interview the neighbor. Since I don't believe a word Alito says without verification, that means I know nothing.

Nicolle Wallace has since reported that there are 6 neighbors on the street, and they all knew about the flag flying, but, as the reportage currently has it, were too afraid of retribution to tell anyone about it. She also referenced, "making a bad neighborhood situation worse." No word about a specific neighbor yet.

Which, Nicolle points out, says nothing about the outrageous behavior of responding to anti-Trump or political expressions by hanging an insurrection flag. Nicolle set it up by saying something like "Why didn't he respond in the usual way when having a squabble with the neighbor by going out in the middle of the night and cutting their rose bushes." Which is one reason I love Nicolle.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

SCOTUS

Post by Slim Cognito »

Nicolle set it up by saying something like "Why didn't he respond in the usual way when having a squabble with the neighbor by going out in the middle of the night and cutting their rose bushes." Which is one reason I love Nicolle.
Ring doorbells have ruined everything.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
bob

SCOTUS

Post by bob »

Image ImageImage
p0rtia

SCOTUS

Post by p0rtia »

Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 6.49.57 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 6.49.57 PM.png (301.45 KiB) Viewed 764 times
Suranis

SCOTUS

Post by Suranis »

Story does not make sense. The whole point of hanging the flag upside down is to indicate a vessel in distress. That's why the Gladsten flag wavers started doing that to show how they were under threat from Obama. How would turning a flag upside down relate to people saying mean things to his wife.

Plus it was outside his house, the Judge would see it out his window.

I wouldn't be surprised if the real story is that He or She hung it upside down by accident, possibly due to being distracted due to all the stuff happening at the time. People noticed because of course they did. Rather than simply admit it, the Alitos made up a story to put themselves in the victim place because victims are good no matter how vile they are.
Hic sunt dracones
W. Kevin Vicklund

SCOTUS

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

If my wife hung a flag upside down, there is not a window in my house I could look out of to see it. I would have to go outside and look.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

SCOTUS

Post by Foggy »

I am not a fan of Justice Alito, but I always assumed that he was an intelligent attorney. Now I read his excuse for flying the flag upside down, and I learn that the man is a moron, who can't think through the consequences of his own story.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
pipistrelle

SCOTUS

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 9:39 pm I am not a fan of Justice Alito, but I always assumed that he was an intelligent attorney. Now I read his excuse for flying the flag upside down, and I learn that the man is a moron, who can't think through the consequences of his own story.
I never assumed that...
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

SCOTUS

Post by raison de arizona »

Rolodex wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:50 pm Ya know what, Mrs. Alito? MYOB.
She hung an American flag upside down for a week or two because someone said Fuck Trump? Good thing she never heard anyone say Let’s Go Brandon. Or is that one ok and doesn’t put the nation in distress?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

SCOTUS

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 10:53 pm
Rolodex wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 3:50 pm Ya know what, Mrs. Alito? MYOB.
She hung an American flag upside down for a week or two because someone said Fuck Trump? Good thing she never heard anyone say Let’s Go Brandon. Or is that one ok and doesn’t put the nation in distress?
I've seen signs in residential neighborhood windows that have the real "Let's Go Brandon" phrase. Classy.

Also, as many have pointed out the local schools were remote due to the pandemic. No one was waiting for busses.

If there even was an objectionable sign. Which I doubt.

p0rtia

SCOTUS

Post by p0rtia »

I doubt that there was a sign attacking Alito or his wife. If there was an anti-fuckhead sign, I have no problem with it (assuming it wasn't disgusting).

If Mary-beth or whatever her name is had words with the neighbors, so what?

There is nothing on God's green Earth that justifies a stop the steal flag flying at the house of a supreme court justice.

The neighbor stuff is a distraction.
pipistrelle

SCOTUS

Post by pipistrelle »

No one's buying the neighbor stuff, or the wife stuff.
chancery
Verified:

SCOTUS

Post by chancery »

More disappointed than surprised at the namby-pamby tone of this NYT article (gift link). https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/17/us/a ... =url-share

A more useful article would have explored the singularity of the Court's freedom from well-established rules that that apply to other judges and hundreds of thousands of government employees, and the collapse of the assumption that the justices can be relied on to behave themselves.
pipistrelle

SCOTUS

Post by pipistrelle »

Also, many have pointed out that Roberts and SCOTUS staff have known about this all along. It's not news to them. And Roberts came up with that weak tea "ethics code" or whatever. Can we say yet his is the worst SCOTUS in American history?
bob

SCOTUS

Post by bob »

chancery wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:34 pm A more useful article would have explored the singularity of the Court's freedom from well-established rules that that apply to other judges and hundreds of thousands of government employees, and the collapse of the assumption that the justices can be relied on to behave themselves.
:yeahthat:

Basically every other judge, and anyone who works for any judge, is bound by ethical canons that would cover this. The ignorance/arrogance combination is shocking, but there's no institutional remedy (thanks; Framers).
Image ImageImage
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

SCOTUS

Post by Frater I*I »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:31 pm Also, many have pointed out that Roberts and SCOTUS staff have known about this all along. It's not news to them. And Roberts came up with that weak tea "ethics code" or whatever. Can we say yet his is the worst SCOTUS in American history?
Bad as it is they have yet to be as bad as the Taney court, having given us Scott v. Sandford.

Give em time thou...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
pipistrelle

SCOTUS

Post by pipistrelle »

Frater I*I wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 11:24 am
pipistrelle wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:31 pm Also, many have pointed out that Roberts and SCOTUS staff have known about this all along. It's not news to them. And Roberts came up with that weak tea "ethics code" or whatever. Can we say yet his is the worst SCOTUS in American history?
Bad as it is they have yet to be as bad as the Taney court, having given us Scott v. Sandford.

Give em time thou...
If it were raised again with this SCOTUS... :blackeye:
raison de arizona

SCOTUS

45 House Dems write a letter to Alito requesting that he recuse from Jan. 6th and 2020 election cases due to the whole upside down flag issue.

The letter: https://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/a ... ad8161.pdf
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

SCOTUS

Post by Foggy »

Only 45 Democrats with any guts at all. I am disappoint. :(
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
p0rtia

SCOTUS

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:
Resume18

SCOTUS

Post by Resume18 »

Me too! Don't dems realize this MAGAt Justice intends to help destroy democracy for his cult leader. Sheesh.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
chancery
Verified:

SCOTUS

Post by chancery »

Golly ...

The New York Times, today:
Another Provocative Flag Was Flown at Another Alito Home
The justice’s beach house displayed an “Appeal to Heaven” flag, a symbol carried on
Jan. 6 and associated with a push for a more Christian-minded government.
Gift link: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/22/us/j ... =url-share
Last summer, two years after an upside-down American flag was flown outside the Virginia home of Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr., another provocative symbol was displayed at his vacation house in New Jersey, according to interviews and photographs.

This time, it was the “Appeal to Heaven” flag, which, like the inverted U.S. flag, was carried by rioters at the Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. Also known as the Pine Tree flag, it dates back to the Revolutionary War, but largely fell into obscurity until recent years and is now a symbol of support for former President Donald J. Trump, for a religious strand of the “Stop the Steal” campaign and for a push to remake American government in Christian terms.
raison de arizona

SCOTUS

Great, just what we look for in a SCOTUS justice (a push to remake American government in Christian terms.)
pipistrelle

SCOTUS

Post by pipistrelle »

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”