Who owns original letter sent to receiver?

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

This had been discussed before, but my search didn’t find the answer.

If I write a letter or a thank you note to Foggy who receives it, do I have legal rights to prevent him from publishing it?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 2:13 pm This had been discussed before, but my search didn’t find the answer.

If I write a letter or a thank you note to Foggy who receives it, do I have legal rights to prevent him from publishing it?
IANAL, but wasn't there a case a couple of years ago, in which the OSG tried to do just that? I believe that, in that case, the court ruled that the letter and its contents belong to the recipient, who can do as they please with it.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Paging Mike Dunford ...

Foggy owns the physical letter. He may sell the letter or give it away, and he may divulge information contained in the letter.

You own the copyright. Salinger v. Random House, Inc. (2d Cir. 1987).

https://casetext.com/case/salinger-v-random-house-inc-3
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

chancery wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 3:02 pm Foggy ... may sell the letter or give it away ...
:snippity:
You own the copyright. Salinger v. Random House, Inc. (2d Cir. 1987).
That's seemingly self-contradictory. If'n she owns the copyright, I don't think I should be able to sell the letter. What if the letter from TRL is full of legal advice? I'm the client, I can divulge all that ( :whisper: no, TRL, I would never do that to you, you can keep sending me mash notes legal advice and I will never divulge it).
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
bbflatt

Post by bbflatt »

It would seem to track with the treatment of a book. If you buy a book, or receive one as a gift, you can sell the physical book, you can tell people about it or even publish a review, but the author (or publisher or whoever) still holds the copyright, and you can't make and distribute copies of your book.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Well, I wasn't gonna make and distribute any of TRL's letters anyway. :nope:
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

It's yours to do with as you wish unless you wish to COPY it. That's a no-no. Copyright laws protect copies made of the written (or drawn or painted, etc) work, not the physical work itself. If someone gives you a painting, it's copyrighted at creation, but once you have it, it's yours and you can sell it, donate it to Goodwill or burn it in the back yard. You can also cut it up and make handbags out of it. Copyright is not transferred with the physical work.

In the case of your letter, TRL would hold the copyright to the arrangement of the words, but you would hold ownership of the physical piece of paper. I love good copyright discussions! Artists have them often. Everything from collages made from cut up magazine ads to whether you can use fabric with that stupid "not for commercial use" bullshit printed on the selvage.And we haven't even gotten into the 'first sale doctrine' yet!
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I would keep them secret trl. Trust me. ;)
Tiredretiredlawyer

Thanks to all! Good to hear from bbflatt!! Foggy and bill are sweet to keep our secrets! :lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

I mean, in fairness, one of us is clearly going to write the Fogbow answer to Kevin Kwan's "Crazy Rich Asians" series someday, and whoever it may be is going to need some material to work with, so maybe we should have a plan.

(I note, in full disclosure, I started rereading the Kwan books this weekend, so I have it on the brain, but still...)
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:25 am I started rereading the Kwan books this weekend ...
In preparation for a new posting? Or a vacation to Singapore?
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:07 am Thanks to all! Good to hear from bbflatt!! Foggy and bill are sweet to keep our secrets! :lovestruck:
I'm sure your letters are the Steamboat Willy of correspondence. I (and my heirs) would hold them until the copyright expired, and THEN publish them.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

jcolvin2 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:20 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:25 am I started rereading the Kwan books this weekend ...
In preparation for a new posting? Or a vacation to Singapore?
The latter but in reverse. Singapore is one of the easier vacation spots on this side of the world, so I've been alternating between it and Kuala Lumpur for my weekend getaways.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Tiredretiredlawyer

jcolvin2 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 2:22 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 10:07 am Thanks to all! Good to hear from bbflatt!! Foggy and bill are sweet to keep our secrets! :lovestruck:
I'm sure your letters are the Steamboat Willy of correspondence. I (and my heirs) would hold them until the copyright expired, and THEN publish them.
Great plan!! :rotflmao:

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”