Bragg Manhattan DA charges tfg? Hush money. tfg “INDICATED!” - CONVICTED!!

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
noblepa

Bragg Manhattan DA charges tfg? Hush money. tfg “INDICATED!”

Post by noblepa »

andersweinstein wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:22 pm Another comment:
Josh Marshall @joshtpm on Twitter wrote:I'd hate to think what this photo would look like if Trump decided the latest fashion was tying a severed cow penis to your forehead and wearing a green neon jumpsuit.

Uhh, cows don't have penises. Bulls do. Cows are female.

But, it is still a fun mental image and a good point about the Mango Musolini's control of the party.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

chancery wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:16 am
Off Topic

Thanks. Could you -- or someone -- also post Judge Land's two unreported decisions awarding first $10,000 in sanctions and then doubling the amount? I don't have them on my computer.

And I'm going to suggest to Foggy that he move these posts to another topic in the Other weirdos sub-forum, probably bob's excellent Dregs of birther remainders topic.
Off Topic
I found both snactions orders on Court Listener. I will post at the Dregs topic.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Dr. Ken wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:15 am This clip has been making the rounds on twitter yesterday.

They think this means Goldman was coaching Cohen during his testimony yesterday. None of them have posted the full segment because it most likely refers to when Goldman worked for SDNY
It was sarcasm.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

andersweinstein wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:22 pm
Rolodex wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 11:24 am Some funny person labeled this the "Reservoir Lapdogs."
:rotflmao:

Another comment:
Josh Marshall @joshtpm on Twitter wrote:I'd hate to think what this photo would look like if Trump decided the latest fashion was tying a severed cow penis to your forehead and wearing a green neon jumpsuit.
Cow ... penis? I mean, maybe if a BULL, but COW? Does not compute. Funny, but... I expect better, is what I'm saying.

ETA: Ninjaed by Noblepa. Damn the time zone differences of being on the other side of the world.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

On a more serious note, is anyone else getting tired of folks calling this surrogate crap a 'loophole' in the gag order like Trump and his attorneys are geniuses for walking right up to the judge and holding their hands millimeters from his face and shouting "We're not touching you!"? Because, as we have discussed here, the gag order does address this; it ain't a loophole, and it feels sloppy to call it such.

OTOH, I have just woken up, it's barely past 5 in the morning for me, and perhaps I'm cranky.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Apparently a reporter was on an MSNBC panel last night, and Nicolle played the tape on Deadline WH to discuss. The gist of it was, that reporter was close enough behind tfg to see what papers he was scribbling all over. According to him, it was quotes from the comments that were made/or they were going to make (unclear which to :oldlady: me), and he was annotating them. No coordination at all :sarcasm:
Edit: I spoke too soon, just came across this: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 8185&ei=12

:snippity:
On Monday, New York Magazine's Andrew Rice told MSNBC he witnessed the defendant in the courtroom appearing to edit the statements that his self-declared surrogates would go on to say. “I was sitting close enough that I could actually look over Trump’s shoulder and see what he was reading,” Rice recounted. As Michael Cohen testified, Trump was “going through and annotating and editing the quotes that these people were going to say," Rice said.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:50 pm On a more serious note, is anyone else getting tired of folks calling this surrogate crap a 'loophole' in the gag order like Trump and his attorneys are geniuses for walking right up to the judge and holding their hands millimeters from his face and shouting "We're not touching you!"? Because, as we have discussed here, the gag order does address this; it ain't a loophole, and it feels sloppy to call it such.

OTOH, I have just woken up, it's barely past 5 in the morning for me, and perhaps I'm cranky.
I’m not a fan of the term “loophole” in any legal context. The law is the law; it allows what it allows and prohibits what it prohibits. That’s not to say that there aren’t unintended consequences where the legislature failed to consider all of the ways a person could do a thing that the legislature meant to prohibit.

And don’t get me started on “He got off on a technicality!” when that “technicality” was the failure of law enforcement or a lower court in observing the constitutional rights of the defendant.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

What Andrew Rice says he says looks like a direct violation of the gag order, which I'm fairly certain includes "causing to be said" type language. Maybe Merchan gets a nice note from Mr Rice.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Rolodex wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:08 pm What Andrew Rice says he says looks like a direct violation of the gag order, which I'm fairly certain includes "causing to be said" type language. Maybe Merchan gets a nice note from Mr Rice.
I hope so. The opinions on Deadline WH were that the judge might not go there, unless the DA makes an issue of it.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

IMO Merchan has to put Mr Hunnybunch on the stand and ask him what he did, then rule on his believability, as Engoron did. If he wants to maintain his principles.

Some wise head said that he won't do it if the DA doesn't ask him to.
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 6:47 pm
Cow ... penis? I mean, maybe if a BULL, but COW? Does not compute. Funny, but... I expect better, is what I'm saying.
You're right, but "cow penis" is just a funnier phrase. Words with a 'k' ...
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.salon.com/2024/05/15/mercha ... liticians/
Donald Trump is no longer attending his hush money trial alone, now enjoying a growing crew of GOP hanger-ons who are helping him circumvent his gag order by acting as "surrogates" outside the courthouse. As Alternet notes, Trump's entourage may be pleasing to the former president, but it's now annoying Judge Juan Merchan.

CNN's Kaitlan Collins reported that Merchan was "visibly annoyed" by Trump's support group, which he appeared to view as disruptive to the proceedings. "This judge does not give away much," she told Wolf Blitzer. "He has a very even tone. He greets Donald Trump with a 'Good morning, Mr. Trump' every single day that he walks inside the courtroom… but there was this moment where it was five or six people from Trump's team, and they get into the second row of the entire courtroom to sit in the pews, to listen to what's happening. And the judge stared straight at them as they were walking in."

The group of elected politicians, aides, and party officials have greeted Trump each morning, sat behind him during the trial proceedings, and given press conferences in which they have condemned the whole affair as political persecution. They have also attacked witnesses, the judge and his family.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:25 pm https://www.salon.com/2024/05/15/mercha ... liticians/
He greets Donald Trump with a 'Good morning, Mr. Trump' every single day that he walks inside the courtroom.
How disrespectful not to call him "President Trump, sir" and not to have tears in his eyes.
Ben-Prime

Post by Ben-Prime »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:40 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 10:25 pm https://www.salon.com/2024/05/15/mercha ... liticians/
He greets Donald Trump with a 'Good morning, Mr. Trump' every single day that he walks inside the courtroom.
How disrespectful not to call him "President Trump, sir" and not to have tears in his eyes.
I think it's okay because he's not big and burly enough for the tears to have an impact.

Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I think Cohen is the last witness for the prosecution; he's now being cross examined by the defense. I expect the DA to do a re-direct (who knows if there will be a re-cross). If the DA rests, do we know who - if anyone - the defense has on their witness list?
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

Rolodex wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:12 am I think Cohen is the last witness for the prosecution; he's now being cross examined by the defense. I expect the DA to do a re-direct (who knows if there will be a re-cross). If the DA rests, do we know who - if anyone - the defense has on their witness list?
I wonder if they have any of the numerous legal scholars on the list, the ones who all say there is no case like Turley, Tom Fitton, Dersh, etc.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I have no idea, but I doubt any of them want to spout their legal theories under oath. It's not like Fox News where lying is a requirement.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
bob

Post by bob »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:21 pm I have no idea, but I doubt any of them want to spout their legal theories under oath. It's not like Fox News where lying is a requirement.
Doubtful any would be permited to testify.
Image ImageImage
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

bob wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:24 pm Doubtful any would be permited to testify.
That will be spun as the judge denined them their constitutional right to free speech.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

New Turtle wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 12:10 pm
Rolodex wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 11:12 am I think Cohen is the last witness for the prosecution; he's now being cross examined by the defense. I expect the DA to do a re-direct (who knows if there will be a re-cross). If the DA rests, do we know who - if anyone - the defense has on their witness list?
I wonder if they have any of the numerous legal scholars on the list, the ones who all say there is no case like Turley, Tom Fitton, Dersh, etc.
Would that even be allowed? Birthers and sovcits have tried bringing in so-called "experts" to attempt to lecture the court on what the law is. Judges have routinely disallowed such testimony.

IANAL, but even I know that questions of law are not decided by the jury, but by the judge. If a witness testifies as to a question of law, it is inappropriate, as the jury doesn't get to make those decisions. The jury is there to decide the facts of the case, and who to believe and who to disbelieve.

If a defendant feels that the trial judge has made a mistake as to the law, it is up to an appeals court to overrule the trial judge.

If a defendant wants to question the trial judge's interpretation or application of the law, wouldn't it be more appropriate to have a hearing without the jury, rather than having the witness testify in open court in front of the jury?
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

noblepa wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:04 pm Would that even be allowed?
No.
If a defendant wants to question the trial judge's interpretation or application of the law, wouldn't it be more appropriate to have a hearing without the jury, rather than having the witness testify in open court in front of the jury?
Yes.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

https://twitter.com/AnnaBower/status/17 ... 008930430
Anna Bower
@AnnaBower
Can you explain to the jury how you go about getting a reporter to say positive things about you/Trump Org? I know reporters at many newspapers. Have longstanding relationship with them. What I would do is reach out and ask them if they're interested in doing an article. I would give them the exclusive on it.

What about how you dealt w/ negative stories? That's different. The reporters would reach out to me, say we're doing a story on this, we would like you to comment on this. I would go to Trump's office, discuss with him, craft a response, take it back to the journalist.
With the caveats that I'm not following today's testimony and this is just an isolated snippet, ... that isn't what would ordinarily be considered effective cross-examination technique. :confuzzled:
andersweinstein

If interested, this is a Twitter list of journalists covering the Trump trial. Consulting (or following) this list page will show you tweets from all of them. If you're already following on Twitter, I'm sure you have your favorite sources already, including names we're all familiar with. But this is an interesting, if occasionally overwhelming, presentation.

https://twitter.com/i/lists/1780234182645456980
andersweinstein

Kyle Cheney on Twitter wrote:UPDATE: BLANCHE says witnesses he calls are unlikely to go beyond Monday (though he says they're stil discussing possible Trump testimony). Merchan tells parties to be prepared to begin closings on Tuesday.
https://x.com/kyledcheney/status/1791201326405497027

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”