Bragg Manhattan DA charges tfg? Hush money. tfg “INDICATED!”

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

chancery wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:38 pm Interesting. Has there already been testimony about the McDougal affair?

Edit: duh, Mr. Pecker. And maybe that lawyer.
Lot's actually. In my very humble and IANAL opinion the prosecution was so thrilled by the Daniels cross today that they decided that they had made their case and that calling Karen McDougal would just muddy the waters. Let's see what Michael Cohen has to say.
much ado

Post by much ado »

much ado wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:48 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:27 pm
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Hidden Content
Found this upthread...
Dr. Ken wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:14 pm

Oh he's innocent because he did't take a tax deduction?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

Michael Popok Ben Mieselas is an insufferable windbag.
Neither disbarred nor disciplined after representing President Barack Obama. :oldman:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Ben-Prime wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:12 pm
Flatpoint High wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:03 pm
p0rtia wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 11:58 am Cross concludes.

Necheles's closing argument decoded: So you're a slut and thus couldn't possibly have been shocked to see a guy in boxers on the bed, so you made it up, right?

So transparent. Good luck with that, fuckhead.
I'd be forever traumatized seeing dookiepants in boxers and tee
I swear my eyes first passed over this as 'boxers and tie', and I thought "Ew, but at least on brand."
:rotflmao: :thumbsup:
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
andersweinstein

Post by andersweinstein »

chancery wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:24 pm Thanks, that's helpful. I'd like to read the brief, and that snippet probably supplies enough information to identify the case and download the pdf, but I think I'll wait and see if it surfaces.

It's a helpful piece of evidence, but I'm not sure how admissions and potential collateral estoppel from civil cases work in criminal prosecutions. There's no such thing, for instance, as a summary judgment of conviction.
Think it's referring to this, filed by the joint defendants June 1, 2018 in the action to release Daniels from the NDA (ultimately dismissed as moot).

https://www.courthousenews.com/wp-conte ... n_stay.pdf

Came upon it via this news item
https://www.courthousenews.com/cohen-asks-judge-in-stormy-daniels-case-to-uphold-stay/
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Sarah Reese Jones
@PoliticusSarah

This is a disaster. Trump is now claiming that he is innocent because he didn't take a tax deduction on paying back Michael Cohen for the Stormy Daniels hush money, "Another thing that wasn't even said was we never even deducted it as a tax deduction."
There is not a single thing Trump has ever said which I believe. This falls into that category.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

sterngard friegen wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:26 pm Michael Popok is an insufferable windbag.
He really does put bagpipes to shame.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Suranis wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 9:09 pm
sterngard friegen wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:26 pm Michael Popok is an insufferable windbag.
His bloviating is on par with Giuliani, Bongino, and Kirk. Who are also cringe worthy, but well enough to fall asleep to.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

As one who had to listen to bagpipes at 2AM when I was reenacting, that's a tall order.
Largo al factotum.
andersweinstein

zekeb wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:16 pm
As one who had to listen to bagpipes at 2AM when I was reenacting, that's a tall order.
Reminds me of the time a rude neighbor came banging on my door at 3AM. 3AM! Who does that? It was just lucky for him I was still up practicing my bagpipes.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

zekeb wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:16 pm
The pipes at dawn in the mist in the pine forest in winter does encourage you to don armour and go looking for the piper with a basket hilted broadsword.. ;)
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Anders joke… :lol:
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:22 pm Years ago, when this story first came out, I had read something about Stormy looking to transition into stand-up comedy now that she was aging out of the adult film industry.

I'd buy that ticket.
Annie Sprinkle did that, at least for a time. She did a show at The Melbourne International Comedy Festival. It was actually pretty funny, and absolutly frank about her career. She discussed some of the absolutely ludicrous stunts she was asked to do (a dildo attached to a refrigerator?). And while I don't remember her saying she experienced it she did describe how many actresses were terribly exploited by some, not all, producers. She ended the show by offering any audience members, especially ladies, who wanted to come and see what the obstetrician sees through the speculum.

I declined the offer, as did SWMBO, but we both agreed it was an enjoyable, enlightening, humorous, and worthwhile show. We picked it more on a dare than anything else, and were glad we did.

If Stormy worked with the right people I suspect she could do even better, except that her notoriety might work against her.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

As Maya Angelou advised: When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.

Adam Klasfeld
@KlasfeldReports

Justice Merchan cited this passage from one of Trump's books as a reason he's not touching the gag order.

It's not just about Stormy Daniels, he said.

For Trump, it's also about being seen on the attack, according to the passage.
The cited passage in the tweet:
When you are wronged, go after those people because it is a good feeling and because other people will see you doing it.

Getting even is not always a personal things. It's just a part of doing business.
bob

Post by bob »

Hidden Content
Trump is now claiming that he is innocent because he didn't take a tax deduction on paying back Michael Cohen for the Stormy Daniels hush money, "Another thing that wasn't even said was we never even deducted it as a tax deduction."
As always, if the defendantt wants to introduce evidence to support that, he can try. But he can't rely on his out-of-court statement as proof.

Whereas the prosecutor may introduce any of the defendant's out-of-court statements (provided they are against his penal interest, and many are).
Image ImageImage
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

bob wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 2:52 am
Whereas the prosecutor may introduce any of the defendant's out-of-court statements (provided they are against his penal interest, and many are).
In my experience, this is a concept that no prosecutor, very few judges, and not nearly enough defense counsel embraced. If the defendant said it, it invariably came in. The defense hardly ever objected; when they did, they couldn’t articulate the requirement that it needed to have been a statement against interest at the time the statement was made. When the defense counsel did manage to lodge a coherent objection, the prosecutor would stumble through some BS version of, “But he said it, he’s a defendant in a criminal case and we want to use it, so it must have been a statement against interest!” And the judge would let it in, and the appellate court would either not discuss it at all when they affirmed the findings of guilt, or call it harmless error.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
In a written order Friday Judge Juan Merchan granted prosecutors motion to quash a subpoena from Donald Trump’s lawyers seeking to compel former Manhattan prosecutor Mark Pomerantz to turn over more records.

Merchan called Trump’s request for “all Documents" for a 13-month period from several individuals covering a range of topics including "Cohen's recollection of interactions with President Trump" and "any form of bias or animosity toward President Trump” an improper fishing expedition.

Trump’s lawyers also asked for all documents relating to a February 2021 internal memo on “whether Stephanie Clifford a/k/a 'Stormy Daniels,' committed ‘extortion and or 'larceny,' and (b) whether President Trump was a 'victim of blackmail."

Merchan ruled Friday that the information is protected as privileged work product while also calling the request impermissibly broad. Merchan denied another request in the subpoena seeking years worth of communications between personnel within the Manhattan DA’s office calling it an apparent “attempt to obtain DANY's internal communications about their discovery obligations.”

The order notes Trump’s legal team has received some discovery from Pomerantz as recently as March before the trial began.

https://www.nycourts.gov/LegacyPDFS/pre ... bpoena.pdf
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

I am guessing Cohen might be up today. DA is calling witnesses from AT&T and Verizon to verify phone records. Also DA Bragg just popped into the room.
Edit: Or Weisselberg?
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

CNN reporting that Cohen on stand next week, I think Monday.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Whining about the cold again
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

andersweinstein

Kendra wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 10:58 am CNN reporting that Cohen on stand next week, I think Monday.
On the MeidasTouch video above, guest Karen Agnifilo said she could almost guarantee that prosecution would not put Cohen on on a Friday, leaving the whole weekend for folks to overanalyze everything he said.
Reality Check

Post by Reality Check »

Justice Merchan ruled against a prosecution'request to introduce an article in which Trump had claimed to know campaign finance laws.
Inner City Press @innercitypress
1h
[They're back...
Justice Merchan: 1999, it's too attenuate. Now you say you have only two more witnesses today? How long?
Prosecutor: A bit over an hour.
Justice Merchan: Shall we work to 1 pm or a bit past, and not come back in the afternoon?
Parties agree
I have never seen attenuate used as an adjective. Must be a legal thing?

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”