Lawn and Garden 2024

MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Lawn and Garden 2024

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

tempImageBJTQbA.gif
tempImageBJTQbA.gif (103.03 KiB) Viewed 378 times
These are mostly red plastic beer cups I use as seedling cups. They all have 4 little drain notches on the bottoms and I've been using them over and over for years, they're great. This year I bought one pack of Mammoth sunflowers and one bulk package varieties mix sunflowers and all but one of them sprouted. It’s my biggest crop so far. I've planted some in just about every garden on the property and lots in the pool gardens. If they all bloom it should be quite beautiful. Sunflowers are such happy flowers and always beam in the gardens and the birds love them! :lovestruck:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Lawn and Garden 2024

Post by bill_g »

I got my dirt stirred. That's as far as I got.
realist

Lawn and Garden 2024

Post by realist »

IMG_8474.jpeg
IMG_8474.jpeg (59.63 KiB) Viewed 310 times
That’s a great idea, MsDaisy.

I don’t have the time or space to do that. Wish I did.

My backyard is xeriscaped but I try to add a lot of different plant to add color and interest. I have a small rose garden with 10 roses and they are in full bloom and beautiful. All my plants around the rock part of my yard are in full bloom and thriving. I have 3 raised beds with flower of varying height, color and texture. Unfortunately I am in the process of replanting most of one of them as the man who does my spring and fall yard cleanup had a brain fart earlier in the spring and removed all the plants from it. I caught him before he decimated the other two. :shrug:

I also add a lot of plants in pots around the yard. Prior to this year I planted only annuals in the pots, changing the appearance of them each year. This year I have decided to plant perennials in them to save some of the work in the spring because old age. :batting:
Image X 4
Image X 32
sugar magnolia

Lawn and Garden 2024

Post by sugar magnolia »

You all sound so organized! I'm more of a "screech to a stop on the side of the road to dig up pretty flowering weeds" type myself. They get tossed into the backyard with varying degrees of care in actually planting them. On the plus side, because they're native they require very little care and maintenance, they come back because we let them all go to seed, and it's a surprise every year to see what blooms. My newest addition is butterweed although it was a volunteer.
MsDaisy 2
Verified:

Lawn and Garden 2024

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

IMG_1984.jpeg
IMG_1984.jpeg (96.77 KiB) Viewed 268 times
The climbing roses are in full bloom. During spring clean up they had gotten way out of control last year and I had to take them down and untangle them all from the trellis and weed out the dead and dying bits one side at a time. It was a real pain in the ass but it sure looks a lot better.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Lawn and Garden 2024

Post by Shizzle Popped »

We've spread 45 bags of mulch so far and need about 15 more to finish. We didn't mulch last year so it's a bit more than normal. I hate, loathe and despise bagged mulch but it's a concession to the fact that shoveling bulk mulch off the driveway completely destroys my back. For some reason hauling around bagged mulch doesn't seem to bother me at all. Any changes to our landscape have to be small and gradual or the HOA sends letters so we won't be doing a lot. We have a boxwood that needs to be replaced. Technically, we have to get approval first but that's not going to happen. And I sneak some herbs in along the side of the house where only the neighbors pay attention, but they don't care. I'll plant some basil and probably some parsley but the thyme and oregano from last year have come back on their own and are already huge.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
MsDaisy 2
Verified:

Lawn and Garden 2024

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

We buy mulch by the trailer load.

What I'd like to know is if there is such a thing as a power washer that actually fucking works :evil:
bill_g

Lawn and Garden 2024

Post by bill_g »

My neighbor likes the electric one she got at Costco. But, you can rent them (gas only) at Home Depot and elsewhere.
realist

Lawn and Garden 2024

Post by realist »

MsDaisy 2 wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:04 am We buy mulch by the trailer load.

What I'd like to know is if there is such a thing as a power washer that actually fucking works :evil:
I've had an electric one for 5-6 years that works great. Use it a lot and no problems. I bought it off of Amazon. It's a Sun Joe.
Image X 4
Image X 32
sugar magnolia

Lawn and Garden 2024

Post by sugar magnolia »

Find one of those guys with the huge water tank on the back of a truck. Those damn things will take the shingles off your roof.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Lawn and Garden 2024

Post by Maybenaut »

realist wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:39 pm

I've had an electric one for 5-6 years that works great. Use it a lot and no problems. I bought it off of Amazon. It's a Sun Joe.
Same here.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Lawn and Garden 2024

Post by RTH10260 »

I must be tired - the thread title springs to my eyes as Law 'n Order 2024 :cantlook: :crying:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Lawn and Garden 2024

Post by keith »

realist wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 3:39 pm

Mine's a Karcher and works great too also.

Parks and Gardens folks from councils in both Sydney and Melbourne areas have been plagued with mulch contaminated with asbestos. Dunno if they've found the source yet and can't figure how such distant areas would have the same problem at the same time.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
MsDaisy 2
Verified:

Lawn and Garden 2024

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

A cherry tree, we haz one that has consistently produced millions of the sweetest cherries you’ve ever had. Normally we just keep a ladder in the tree and friends, neighbors and family members just come over with a bag and pick what they want. Meanwhile I make preserves and can enough to last us the year until the next crop.

Well for the last two years we’ve had blooms but haven't produced a single cherry. Finally last year I had to go to the farmers market for cherries to make jam. But this year they’re back! The tree is busting with baby green cherries. Not that I can eat sweets of any kind, my tummy sours if I do which actually sucks, but my Mister and other family members and friends will certainly take care of the last sweet cherry from that tree. This year I’m going to make a bunch of jam, providing the tree does as well as it use too.
Cherries 2020.jpeg
Cherries 2020.jpeg (149.96 KiB) Viewed 61 times
sugar magnolia

Lawn and Garden 2024

Post by sugar magnolia »

https://www.southernliving.com/cherry-bounce-7556386

I use the vodka/honey combination.
bill_g

Lawn and Garden 2024

Post by bill_g »

That's a great recipe. If you use vodla, you can do that to watermelon rind, cucumber rinds, citrus peels (orange, lemon, lime). wild blackberries, etc. The spices will change depending on fruit you use. Dill and cucumber do well in a less sweet syrup. Orange and clove seem better with more sugar. Watermelon and lemon do well together.

Return to “General Stuff”