State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Post by RTH10260 »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:15 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:14 pm The biggest looser in this ruling seems to be Weisselberg. He lost his separation funds that were set to the tune of his prior fine of approx $2million. So he has to return the $1 million already received to the state, but is also stuck wioth the original fine :blackeye:
And he can’t get a job! At least not in NY anyway.
He still can opt for the American dream: from dish washer to .... :twisted:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The panel on Deadline WH is having a field day with the babysitting comparisons. :lol: :biggrin:
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

SuzieC wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:57 pm I assume that interest will start accumulating on the $364 million as well.
The 9% interest clock started running years ago.

CPLR 5001(b):
Date from which computed. Interest shall be computed from the earliest ascertainable date the cause of action existed, except that interest upon damages incurred thereafter shall be computed from the date incurred. Where such damages were incurred at various times, interest shall be computed upon each item from the date it was incurred or upon all of the damages from a single reasonable intermediate date.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

And I think they have to put up the whole amount in order to appeal. Oh well.

Jeff and Allen put in permanent time out for any financial positions. LOL

They're enjoined from borrowing from any institution chartered/licensed in NY - does he have any of those? But it'll be fine; his buddy Putin will help him out.

I just love Engoron's writing!
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I'm confused. Why am I see two figures. $364M and $355M being reported.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

A friend posted Happy Accountability Day to all who celebrate.
raison de arizona

neonzx wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:32 pm I'm confused. Why am I see two figures. $364M and $355M being reported.
$355M <- tfg
$4M <- jr
$4M <- eric
$1M <- weisselberg
===
$364M
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

neonzx wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:32 pm I'm confused. Why am I see two figures. $364M and $355M being reported.
I believe that $355 is the recovery against Trump, and $364 is the recovery against all defendants. But I haven't seen a reliable breakdown yet.
raison de arizona

chancery wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:36 pm
I believe that $355 is the recovery against Trump, and $364 is the recovery against all defendants. But I haven't seen a reliable breakdown yet.
ORDERED that defendants Donald Trump, the Donald J. Trump Revocable Trust, the Trump
Organization, Inc., Trump Organization LLC, DJT Holdings LLC, DJT Holdings Managing
Member, Trump Endeavor 12 LLC, 401 North Wabash Venture LLC, Trump Old Post Office
LLC, 40 Wall Street LLC, are jointly and severally liable to plaintiff in the amount of
$168,040,168, with pre-judgment interest from March 4, 2019; and it is further
ORDERED that defendants Donald Trump, the Donald J. Trump Revocable Trust, the Trump
Organization, Inc., and Trump Organization LLC, and the Trump Old Post Office LLC are
jointly and severally liable to plaintiff in the amount of $126,828,600, with pre-judgment interest
from May 11, 2022; and it is further
Organization, Inc., and Trump Organization LLC are jointly and severally liable to plaintiff in
the amount of $60,000,000, with pre-judgment interest from June 26, 2023; and it is further
ORDERED that defendant Eric Trump is liable to plaintiff in the amount of $4,013,024, with
pre-judgment interest from May 11, 2022; and it is further
ORDERED that defendant Donald Trump, Jr. is liable to plaintiff in the amount of $4,013,024,
with pre-judgment interest from May 11, 2022; and it is further
ORDERED that defendant Allen Weisselberg is liable to plaintiff in the amount of $1,000,000,
with pre-judgment interest from January 9, 2023; and it is further
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Perhaps the higher figure is all parties fines while the lower is just those Donnie is liable for
much ado

Post by much ado »

Taylor Swift has the same opinion of Donald Trump.

Donald Trump Claims He Made Taylor Swift Rich (He Didn’t)

chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Dave from down under wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:37 pm Perhaps the higher figure is all parties fines while the lower is just those Donnie is liable for
Sorry to be that guy, but these are civil recoveries, not fines, which are criminal penalties.

Actually not sorry. :smoking:
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Be not sorry!
I prefer to be educated
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

SuzieC wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:15 pm I’m seeing reports that there’s also pre-judgement interest accrued on the penalties (NY has a mandated 9% interest rate) that could push the totals up to $450 million or more.
You'd need to get into the details of the various liability findings to be in a position to do a reliable estimate of prejudgment interest, and even then you could be wrong. There's an element of judicial discretion in picking the accrual dates.

Attorney General James has said that the figure is $450 million, and her office knows the record better than anyone. That said, there might be an element of advocacy in that figure; we won't know the final number until the judge issues an order on the subject.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Tish Tish
Gave us all
What we wish

:thumbsup:
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

So the Trump family can just go to Jared Kushner for the money. After all, he got $2 billion from Saudi Arabia. Or Donald can go directly to Saudi Arabia for the money.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:mrgreen: the possibilities are endless
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
raison de arizona

https://x.com/NewYorkStateAG/status/175 ... 69914?s=20
NY AG James @NewYorkStateAG wrote: In a massive victory, we won our case against Donald Trump for engaging in years of incredible financial fraud to enrich himself.

Trump, Donald Trump, Jr., Eric Trump, and his former executives must pay over $450 million in disgorgement and interest.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:54 pm So the Trump family can just go to Jared Kushner for the money. After all, he got $2 billion from Saudi Arabia.
Please. That's the amount of Saudi funds that Kushner is being paid to "manage." I'm sure that he makes a tidy sum from management fees, and if he profits additionally from insider and self-dealing side deals, I wouldn't, as Dorothy Parker said about the girls attending a Yale prom, be at all surprised.

But the $2 billion isn't money in his pocket.
raison de arizona

This was supposed issued by Letitia James, but I haven't verified a link for it yet.
raison de arizona

He's troothed about it four times now, but they are all retreads of stuff he's already said so I'm not going to bother grabbing them. Unless he starts saying something new.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

So where were the other Attorneys General of New York who allowed him to get away with it all these years?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
raison de arizona

CALL TO ACTIVISM @CalltoActivism wrote: As an attorney, there are a few things that stand out to me about this ruling that are absolutely calamitous for Donald Trump and his children.

Here’s why. 👇

First, the penalties on Don Jr. and Eric Trump are arguably even MORE devastating for them.

Both Don Jr. and Eric Trump are young and both men are currently overseeing Trump Organization day to day. On the contrary, as a 77-year old, Trump’s involvement in the company has reportedly been limited in recent years.

This ruling has essentially left Don Jr. and Eric Trump unemployed.

Second, the fact that Donald Trump and the Trump Organization are both banned from applying for loans from any New York-chartered financial institutions for 3 years makes it incredibly hard for Trump to actually afford the judgment.

Together with the E. Jean Carroll verdict, Trump is now responsible for almost $450 MILLION in penalties - an amount that would wipe out nearly every penny of cash he reportedly has.

Engoron did not hold back with his words in this decision:

“The defendants’) complete lack of contrition and remorse borders on pathological.”

One thing is clear, Judge Engoron’s ruling upholds the integrity of the financial marketplace - and finally holds Trump accountable for his many lies.

What are your thoughts, did Trump deserve these historic penalties?

-Attorney Joe Gallina
raison de arizona

Footnote on the monitor.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”