Hijack This Thread

Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

MsDaisy 2 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 9:30 am I just got some really bad news, my 40 something year old niece Kelly just had a heart attack and stoped breathing for probably long enough that there is very likely going to be brain damage if she does survive. My youngest son is on his way to Delaware (from Virginia) now. They have always been very close, more like siblings than cousins.

Beaming lots of love to her is all I can do. :crying:
:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

Lin Wood has been disbarred by the State of Colorado:
https://www.coloradopolitics.com/courts ... fe8b2.html
Colorado's federal trial court on Thursday disbarred an attorney who spoke favorably about the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the U.S. Capitol, called for former Vice President Mike Pence to be subjected to firing squads and claimed he had evidence of fraud in the 2020 presidential election.

The penalty imposed on L. Lin Wood was based on Wood's decision to retire as a lawyer earlier this year in the face of a misconduct investigation in Georgia that could have resulted in his disbarment. Pursuant to the rules of Colorado's U.S. District Court, attorneys may be disbarred or suspended if they resign during any state or federal court investigation into their alleged misconduct.

According to a Dec. 14 order, the court's Committee on Conduct notified Wood in mid-October it was recommending his disbarment based on the Georgia proceedings. Wood did not respond to the threat of discipline. When the committee followed up to ask if Wood wanted to address his impending discipline, he sent a scathing email accusing the court of "persecuting a follower of Jesus Christ and a supporter of President Trump."
castigat ridendo mores.
Sam the Centipede

Hijack This Thread

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:45 pm Something I could have used in my younger days when I was still courting the ladies....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2JAQAvZmJVzfvx6T6

[The Fogbelles are gonna crucify me for this one...I may not get to see myself out... :bag: ]
When you think you hear the rustle of the ruffles, the crackle of the crinolines, the straining of the stays, the gentle murmur of "bless his heart" … RRUUNN!!
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Hijack This Thread

Post by Maybenaut »

Flatpoint High wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:38 pm Lin Wood has been disbarred by the State of Colorado:
https://www.coloradopolitics.com/courts ... fe8b2.html
A slight quibble… it was the federal court, not the State of Colorado. I don’t think Wood was admitted to the Colorado State Bar.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Hijack This Thread

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:14 am
Frater I*I wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:45 pm Something I could have used in my younger days when I was still courting the ladies....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2JAQAvZmJVzfvx6T6

[The Fogbelles are gonna crucify me for this one...I may not get to see myself out... :bag: ]
When you think you hear the rustle of the ruffles, the crackle of the crinolines, the straining of the stays, the gentle murmur of "bless his heart" … RRUUNN!!
You guys learn quickly. Proud to be a Fogbelle!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Holy crap here we go! I just got a call from my son, the one who was very close to my niece who just died asking if my mister who is a retired GP would look at Kelly’s medical records if they can get them. Apparently there is now suspicion that Kelly did not have a heart attack and that fentanyl was responsible for her death and I assume that suggestion came from her two sons who are both here now with my son.
Flatpoint High
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

castigat ridendo mores.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Flatpoint High
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

castigat ridendo mores.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Oh fuck NO!
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

MsDaisy 2 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:48 am Holy crap here we go! I just got a call from my son, the one who was very close to my niece who just died asking if my mister who is a retired GP would look at Kelly’s medical records if they can get them. Apparently there is now suspicion that Kelly did not have a heart attack and that fentanyl was responsible for her death and I assume that suggestion came from her two sons who are both here now with my son.
:shock: :bighug:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Flatpoint High
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

castigat ridendo mores.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

Looking for someplace to donate some tools I want to get rid of I was looking up nearby "Men's Sheds".

Going through their website I see that the Australian originated Men's Shed idea has spread internationally and there are a few in the USA now. I thought some folks here might be interested. The location map shows several in North Carolina, Michigan (Grand Traverse and Grand Rapids), Chicago suburbs, and elsewhere.

The idea or motto of Men's Shed is "Men don't talk face to face. They talk shoulder to shoulder".
The modern Men’s Shed is an updated version of the shed in the backyard that has long been a part of Australian culture. Men’s Sheds are found in many cities and towns around Australia and continue to spring up internationally.
The Men’s Sheds Movement started in Australia in the 1990’s and is gradually spreading around the world, enriching men’s lives as it grows.

There are National Men’s Sheds Associations in Australia, Canada, Denmark, New Zealand, Ireland, the UK, Scotland and Wales with Men’s Sheds in other countries too such as the USA and Sweden.
Not all Men’s Sheds are the same
If you looked inside you might see a number of men making furniture, perhaps restoring bicycles for a local school, making Mynah bird traps, fixing lawn mowers or making a cubby house for Camp Quality to raffle.

You might also see a few young men working with the older men obtaining new skills and learning something about life from the men with whom they work. You might see local elders making traditional weapons or designing arts and crafts. You will see tea-bags, coffee cups and a comfortable area where men can sit and talk. You will probably also see an area where men can learn to cook for themselves or how to contact their families by computer.
While the central idea is that it's for men, there is no rule against women joining, and some sheds do actively encourage women.

USA Men's Sheds Organisation
If they tell you I fell off the bed and hung myself, I didn't.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

FWIW

traffiking Indian nationals to Nicaragua, then let them take a land journey to the US border
France Flight Grounded: Modus Operandi Of 'Donkey Flight' Exposed! | English News

MIRROR NOW
29 Dec 2023

Flight Grounded | A travel agent exposed the alleged modus operandi of 'donkey flights,' following the grounding of a Legend Airlines flight to Nicaragua with 303 Indians over human trafficking suspicions. The agent claimed it was the third such flight to Nicaragua in 2023. Nearly 600 Indians awaiting similar flights in Dubai were advised to return home after the exposure. 'Donkey flights' help immigrants gain backdoor entry to countries, bypassing the challenging Darién Gap. 'Donkey charges' range from Rs 40-45 lakh, paid in installments, for a journey to reach the US border. Once in Nicaragua, on-arrival visas are arranged for immigrants.

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

Do you find that end of sentence growl that many women (especially, but not only) have been taking on for the last few years annoying? I know I do.

If they tell you I fell off the bed and hung myself, I didn't.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Hijack This Thread

Post by Maybenaut »

keith wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:36 am Do you find that end of sentence growl that many women (especially, but not only) have been taking on for the last few years annoying? I know I do.

I was listening to a podcast in which one of the hosts had it. She went on at length about the negative comments she was getting. “I can’t help it!” she said.

A good vocal coach or speech therapist could help. It can be controlled, but it takes work.

I have the opposite problem - I’m a singer, and sometimes I want to employ vocal fry as a device, like if I’m singing something bluesy for example. It takes a lot of concentration to do it on purpose, and sounds awful if it’s not done right.

And vocal fry is just one tool in a singer’s toolbox, to be used sparingly and with intention. I can’t stand to listen to singers who employ it in a song start to finish **cough** Stevie Nicks **cough** Rod Stewart **cough**
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

:crying: No :bar: :!:
‘Long overdue’: US workers making Bud Light and other beers threaten strike
Represented by Teamsters, 5,000 workers at Anheuser-Busch’s breweries prepare to strike after 99% voters favor authorization

Michael Sainato
Wed 17 Jan 2024 12.00 CET

Workers who make Bud Light and other top-selling beers are threatening to strike in demand of significant wage increases, job security and improvements to retirement and benefits in the first big union contract battle of 2024.

Five thousand workers, represented by the Teamsters at 12 Anheuser-Busch breweries in the US, are threatening to strike after voting 99% in favor of a strike authorization last month. Their current union contract is set to expire on 29 February.

“Without a contract by February 29, there won’t be any beer come March,” the Teamsters warned on X.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... user-busch
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Don’t drive star-spangled hammered: US to ban funny highway signs
Federal regulators say quirky signs such as ‘Hocus pocus, drive with focus’ can distract drivers and will be phased out by 2026

Dani Anguiano and agencies
Wed 17 Jan 2024 13.00 CET

“Use Yah Blinkah”. “Don’t drive star-spangled hammered”. “Hocus pocus, drive with focus”.

Thanks to federal regulators, the slogans will no longer appear on highway signs across the United States as of 2026.

The US Federal Highway Administration is cracking down on the use of jokes and pop-culture references in overhead electronic signs, arguing that the messages can distract drivers.

Under the new guidelines, which were laid out in a new 1,100-page manual on America’s signs and other traffic-control devices, signs cannot display messages intended to be humorous or with pop culture references, or anything that could “diminish respect for the sign”.

The regulatory agency says that such messages can be misunderstood or distracting to drivers and that signs should be “simple, direct, brief, legible and clear”. The signs should be used only for important information such as warning drivers of crashes, weather conditions and traffic delays. Seatbelt reminders and warnings about the dangers of speeding or driving impaired are also allowed.

States across the country have embraced humorous signs in order to get more drivers to pay attention to safety messages. Illinois debuted a series related to marijuana after the state legalized the drug in 2020 (One sign read “Got The Munchies? Get Food Delivered. Don’t Drive High!”).

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... gns-banned
RTH10260

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

Orlando mom horrified after daughter’s used casket auctioned, sold on Facebook without permission

By Nick Papantonis, WFTV.com
December 06, 2023 at 11:26 pm EST

ORLANDO, Fla. — Cassandra Jackson still colors her hair purple from time to time, adding in matching false eyelashes when she’s thinking about her daughter.

The memories of 18-year-old Aniyyah are hard to forget. Not with the radiant smile shining at her from every picture, or the four-year-old girl that’s now under the custody of her grieving grandmother.

Equally hard to forget is the man the family suspects of killing Jackson is still walking free.

Any healing Jackson has felt since her daughter was shot at a friend’s home in March of 2021 was shredded last month when her phone blew up with text messages and calls asking if someone had illegally exhumed Aniyyah’s body.

“I just cried and cried,” Jackson remembered.

Attached to the text messages was a photo of Aniyyah’s casket, wrapped in vivid purple with her face and name plastered on nearly every square inch, for sale on Facebook Marketplace for $78.

The seller claimed the funeral home that owned the storage unit the casket was discovered in went out of business.

“Use as a Halloween decoration or maybe a tool box,” the description on the listing said.

Jackson’s daughter Shanika said the casket and custom wrap had cost their family $5,000, and no one asked their permission to sell it, much less at that amount.

They said the funeral home they used, Celebrations of Life Mortuary and Cremation Services (CoL), which is still open and operational, encouraged the family to buy it despite their desire to cremate Aniyyah.

They said CoL told them if they paid for the casket, they’d be able to use it for future funerals, and the business would place the casket in storage.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/orlando ... 2JOCLEKCE/
news clip
► Show Spoiler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Hijack This Thread

Post by northland10 »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:39 am :crying: No :bar: :!:
‘Long overdue’: US workers making Bud Light and other beers threaten strike
Represented by Teamsters, 5,000 workers at Anheuser-Busch’s breweries prepare to strike after 99% voters favor authorization

Michael Sainato
Wed 17 Jan 2024 12.00 CET

Workers who make Bud Light and other top-selling beers are threatening to strike in demand of significant wage increases, job security and improvements to retirement and benefits in the first big union contract battle of 2024.

Five thousand workers, represented by the Teamsters at 12 Anheuser-Busch breweries in the US, are threatening to strike after voting 99% in favor of a strike authorization last month. Their current union contract is set to expire on 29 February.

“Without a contract by February 29, there won’t be any beer come March,” the Teamsters warned on X.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... user-busch
I support the AB workers getting a better contract, but the "no beer in March" threat is meaningless on me. Those who drink that swill will run to another swill. If a few run to the smaller shops, and craft brews, well that can help the industry that has been getting hit in the last couple of years.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

I feel like it is the golden age of Bud Light, although Anheuser-Busch would probably feel differently. You can get a 30-pack of the stuff at the local grocery store for $20. It's cheaper than anything else out there.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Hijack This Thread

Post by northland10 »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:54 pm I feel like it is the golden age of Bud Light, although Anheuser-Busch would probably feel differently. You can get a 30-pack of the stuff at the local grocery store for $20. It's cheaper than anything else out there.
I've paid $25 or so for a six-pack and sometimes $20 for a 4-pack. Then again, I go for quality over quantity and ma be a beer snob.

I don't pay that much most of the time but I am pretty sure what I get is rather more expensive than Bud Light, or Coors, or whatever. Around here, you can get a twelve-pack of Bell's Two-Hearted Ale for around $18-$20, and it is way better than Bud Light (and many other beers).
101010 :towel:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Hijack This Thread

Post by Frater I*I »

northland10 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:50 pm :snippity:

I don't pay that much most of the time but I am pretty sure what I get is rather more expensive than Bud Light, or Coors, or whatever. Around here, you can get a twelve-pack of Bell's Two-Hearted Ale for around $18-$20, and it is way better than Bud Light (and many other beers).
Dirty dish water is better than Bud Light....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

keith wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:36 am Do you find that end of sentence growl that many women (especially, but not only) have been taking on for the last few years annoying? I know I do.
Maybenaut wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:39 am I was listening to a podcast in which one of the hosts had it. She went on at length about the negative comments she was getting. “I can’t help it!” she said.
Interesting. [spock_eyebrow] This qualifies as my learn-something-new-everyday. I've never noticed this, or thought about this. Thanks for the YT video. It was instructive.
bill_g

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:46 am
Don’t drive star-spangled hammered: US to ban funny highway signs
Federal regulators say quirky signs such as ‘Hocus pocus, drive with focus’ can distract drivers and will be phased out by 2026

Dani Anguiano and agencies
Wed 17 Jan 2024 13.00 CET

“Use Yah Blinkah”. “Don’t drive star-spangled hammered”. “Hocus pocus, drive with focus”.

Under the new guidelines, which were laid out in a new 1,100-page manual on America’s signs and other traffic-control devices, signs cannot display messages intended to be humorous or with pop culture references, or anything that could “diminish respect for the sign”.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... gns-banned
Diminish respect for the sign? Okay. These guys are Bogarting the good stuff. All signs take your eyes off the road including the highway information signs. Getting a hook into your mind is the point of good information. Rhymes and quips help. They follow the succinctness rule. Put down the bong ya idjits.

Return to “General Stuff”