💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

The Disastrous 118th Congress - "My Kevin" McCarthy "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, House Speaker /Clowns

Post by RTH10260 »

another snippet from a hearing ...

recommended viewing time first 1nin45sec

Dr. Ken

The Disastrous 118th Congress - "My Kevin" McCarthy "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, House Speaker /Clowns

Post by Dr. Ken »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:46 am Looks like we may get another new Speaker in a couple of weeks.

MAGA Turns on Speaker Mike Johnson

https://www.newsweek.com/mike-johnson-s ... ns-1859430
Writing on X, formerly Twitter, one user said Johnson was "bending a knee to Schumer."

Political commentator Gunther Eagleman suggested a motion be filed to vacate the chair because of the spending deal.

"F*** it, if @SpeakerJohnson pushes the $1.6T spending bill through Congress, I say someone should file a motion to vacate the chair... Again," Eagleman wrote.
Oh please. They should do this every few months to show how inept the gop is at governing.
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

But but… God told Johnson he was going to be the next Moses.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Leadering is hard...

They say organizing Democrats is like herding cats.

And trying to get MAGAts to work within the confines of reality is like dropping a cement block on your bare foot, then picking it up and dropping it again.

I wonder how many times Mike has gone home and told his wife," I didn't expect it to be like this."
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

More likely, “Why can’t they see I’m MOSES?”
raison de arizona

fwiw, word is Johnson in reneging.
Jake Sherman @JakeSherman wrote: NEWS — @RepRalphNorman says @SpeakerJohnson is going to back out of his spending deal with @SenSchumer

“No. It’s not going to be the current deal.”

Norman says there will be a CR.

Norman just emerged from a meeting with Johnson.
https://x.com/JakeSherman/status/174549 ... 35745?s=20
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Manu Raju @mkraju wrote: Hard-right members sound off:
Davidson on Johnson: "By the time we came back to DC, he negotiated the terms of our surrender"
Ogles: "I want the speaker to start fighting for us"
Donalds on if Johnson's job is at risk. "I think everybody's job is at risk.. This place is a joke"
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

"This place is a joke"

Maybe someone ought to start de-joking the place .... :think:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

You know, its not really a speakers job to "fight for us." A speakers job is to promote legislation, amend legislation so it has the best chance of passing, and get it through the House, balancing the interests of all members.

Plus, you people are in the MAJORITY. You should be setting the agenda here, and the Democrats should be fighting you.

If you are a tiny minority even in your own party, tough shit. He has to work with the Majority in your party as well. The only power you have is that he does not want to use Democratic votes to pass legislation for whatever reason. In a system where members are free to vote any way they want and the system is set up so the speaker can poach members of the opposition caucus to get legislation through.

So the way he is managing the system is dysfunctional in any case.
Hic sunt dracones
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I am so shocked that the No Budget Deal Unless You Defund Half the Government party is refusing to sign on to the budget unless Congress defunds half the government.

How could McJohnson have known???
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

The GQP has other priorities
GOP Subpoenas Cassidy Hutchinson for Jan. 6 Documents, Questions Testimony Consistency

Jan 9, 2024

House Republicans demand Cassidy Hutchinson preserve and produce all Jan. 6-related records, citing inconsistencies in her testimony.By yourNEWS Media StaffRepublicans on the Oversight Subcommittee for House Administration have issued a formal notice to Cassidy Hutchinson, a key witness in the January 6 Committee hearings, requesting the preservation and production of all records related to the events of Jan. 6 and her testimonies. The Daily Caller first obtained a copy of the letter, led by Chairman Barry Loudermilk of Georgia, emphasizing inconsistencies in Hutchinson’s statements about former President Donald Trump’s actions on Jan. 6.

Loudermilk highlighted discrepancies in Hutchinson’s testimonies, particularly her claim about Trump attempting to grab the steering wheel from a Secret Service employee, which was not mentioned in her previous interviews. The letter instructs Hutchinson to preserve and produce all relevant documents, including those previously handed over to the Select Committee and the Department of Justice. This includes electronic messages sent via official and personal accounts or devices. The instruction for preservation encompasses all forms of records, including those created using text messages, phone-based applications, or encryption software.

The letter can be read in its entirety on Scribd.
<READ THE LETTER HERE: see article. >

Loudermilk expressed his concerns to the Caller about Hutchinson’s sudden changes in her testimony, stating they are “deeply concerning” and raise questions about her credibility. He indicated his willingness to issue a subpoena if Hutchinson fails to comply with the document request.

Hutchinson garnered attention after testifying before the Jan. 6 committee, claiming Trump lunged for the steering wheel to head to the Capitol. This claim has been contested by sources close to the Secret Service. Hutchinson’s testimony can be watched here.

Further casting doubt on Hutchinson’s reliability, she reportedly referred to the Jan. 6 committee as “bs” in a text message, as reported by the Daily Caller.

The deadline for Hutchinson to provide the unredacted documents is set for January 26, 2024. The request underscores the ongoing scrutiny and investigation into the events surrounding January 6 and the veracity of testimonies provided during the hearings.

https://yournews.com/2024/01/09/2721087 ... testimony/
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:01 am The GQP has other priorities
GOP Subpoenas Cassidy Hutchinson for Jan. 6 Documents, Questions Testimony Consistency

Jan 9, 2024
Hutchinson garnered attention after testifying before the Jan. 6 committee, claiming Trump lunged for the steering wheel to head to the Capitol. This claim has been contested by sources close to the Secret Service. Hutchinson’s testimony can be watched here.
IIRC, at the time, she testified that she had been told of this incident and admitted that she had not been in the car when it happened. She did not claim it was the gospel truth.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

noblepa wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:08 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:01 am The GQP has other priorities

Jan 9, 2024
IIRC, at the time, she testified that she had been told of this incident and admitted that she had not been in the car when it happened. She did not claim it was the gospel truth.
Ya, and when asked the Secret Service confirmed that the balance of the rumour was true. Why aren't THEY getting warrants thrown at them.

This is just petty revenge on someone who punched a hole in the story they were trying to construct.
Hic sunt dracones
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Looks like Johnson got enough republicans to join the democrats to keep the government open. I have a feeling he's going to face a motion to vacate soon.

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
raison de arizona

Dr. Ken wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:22 pm Looks like Johnson got enough republicans to join the democrats to keep the government open. I have a feeling he's going to face a motion to vacate soon.

https://twitter.com/RepJoeNeguse/status ... 8904621289
And so it begins...
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

He's finding out that joining the peanut gallery is easy, leadering is hard.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

It's funny because this is a recurring subject in my circle of friends. This may seem semi off-topic, but there's a punchline that is relevant, I assure you.

So, I've mentioned before that I'm a gamer. For years I ran or co-ran some rather large online role-playing games set in the Star Trek universe, and there's been only a few players that have been trusted to rise to the CO/XO position on various ships and stations that I've 'created'. When I was co-running, it was me in charge on an 'in character' story basis with someone else serving as the Gamemaster/Storyteller. One day, as an object lesson, my character (a non-Command-branch Commander later transferred into Command branch as serving as XO of a small but important post) stepped aside to serve as the day's "training officer" and let one of the loudest junior officers take command of a "milk run" mission that soon got about complicated to the level of a simple emergency. The player *floundered* because he didn't really get the formula for leadership, didn't get when to delegate and when to make a final decision, and what the ratio was. And finally admitted "But you always make it look easy. I figured 'how hard could it be'?"

[ETA to add this as I realized my copy-paste from my offline draft missed this paragraph] I explained to the guy that it is easy once you know the formula. You have to think about it not like a zero-sum video game, but a cooperative story using the Star Trek theme and formula. So you need to know you can spend 1/3 of the game gathering information, 1/3 of the same discussing or debating the information either with the adversary or with your subordinates, and then 1/3 of the game taking all of the information everyone has given you and make some decisive orders. That's an estimate, but it works. Every form of leadership has a formula for when you take input and when you give output and once you know it, it's a lot easier.

I think the problem is the same for the GOP in Congress. Because their philosophy is not about governing but about complaining that the government doesn't work, they never really learn the proper formula for actual governance. And there it is.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Ben-Prime wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:36 am It's funny because this is a recurring subject in my circle of friends. This may seem semi off-topic, but there's a punchline that is relevant, I assure you.

So, I've mentioned before that I'm a gamer. For years I ran or co-ran some rather large online role-playing games set in the Star Trek universe, and there's been only a few players that have been trusted to rise to the CO/XO position on various ships and stations that I've 'created'. When I was co-running, it was me in charge on an 'in character' story basis with someone else serving as the Gamemaster/Storyteller. One day, as an object lesson, my character (a non-Command-branch Commander later transferred into Command branch as serving as XO of a small but important post) stepped aside to serve as the day's "training officer" and let one of the loudest junior officers take command of a "milk run" mission that soon got about complicated to the level of a simple emergency. The player *floundered* because he didn't really get the formula for leadership, didn't get when to delegate and when to make a final decision, and what the ratio was. And finally admitted "But you always make it look easy. I figured 'how hard could it be'?"

[ETA to add this as I realized my copy-paste from my offline draft missed this paragraph] I explained to the guy that it is easy once you know the formula. You have to think about it not like a zero-sum video game, but a cooperative story using the Star Trek theme and formula. So you need to know you can spend 1/3 of the game gathering information, 1/3 of the same discussing or debating the information either with the adversary or with your subordinates, and then 1/3 of the game taking all of the information everyone has given you and make some decisive orders. That's an estimate, but it works. Every form of leadership has a formula for when you take input and when you give output and once you know it, it's a lot easier.

I think the problem is the same for the GOP in Congress. Because their philosophy is not about governing but about complaining that the government doesn't work, they never really learn the proper formula for actual governance. And there it is.
You mean "impeach him" isn't the proper formula?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:22 am
Ben-Prime wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 5:36 am I think the problem is the same for the GOP in Congress. Because their philosophy is not about governing but about complaining that the government doesn't work, they never really learn the proper formula for actual governance. And there it is.
You mean "impeach him" isn't the proper formula?
I mean, it is for complaining that government doesn't work, yeah. :biggrin:
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Bravo, Ben-Prime!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

You can be sure young clippers are already cutting the ads with Bryan Donalds saying, "This place is a joke", Chip Roy's infamous, "Name ONE THING the GOP has done", etc. They are literally talking their way back to the minority.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

GOP senators seethe as Trump blows up delicate immigration compromise

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/25/politics ... index.html
Senior Senate Republicans are furious that Donald Trump may have killed an emerging bipartisan deal over the southern border, depriving them of a key legislative achievement on a pressing national priority and offering a preview of what’s to come with Trump as their likely presidential nominee.

In recent weeks, Trump has been lobbying Republicans both in private conversations and in public statements on social media to oppose the border compromise being delicately hashed out in the Senate, according to GOP sources familiar with the conversations – in part because he wants to campaign on the issue this November and doesn’t want President Joe Biden to score a victory in an area where he is politically vulnerable.

Senate GOP Leader Mitch McConnell acknowledged in a private meeting on Wednesday that Trump’s animosity toward the yet-to-be-released border deal puts Republicans in a serious bind as they try to move forward on the already complex issue. For weeks, Republicans have been warning that Trump’s opposition could blow up the bipartisan proposal, but the admission from McConnell was particularly striking, given he has been a chief advocate for a border-Ukraine package.

Now, Republicans on Capitol Hill are grappling with the reality that most in the GOP are loathe to do anything that is seen as potentially undermining the former president. And the prospects of a deal being scuttled before it has even been finalized has sparked tensions and confusion in the Senate GOP as they try to figure out if, and how, to proceed – even as McConnell made clear during party lunches Thursday that he remains firmly behind the effort to strike a deal, according to attendees.

“I think the border is a very important issue for Donald Trump. And the fact that he would communicate to Republican senators and congresspeople that he doesn’t want us to solve the border problem because he wants to blame Biden for it is … really appalling,” said GOP Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah, who has been an outspoken critic of Trump.

He added, “But the reality is that, that we have a crisis at the border, the American people are suffering as a result of what’s happening at the border. And someone running for president not to try and get the problem solved. as opposed to saying, ‘hey, save that problem. Don’t solve it. Let me take credit for solving it later.’”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
much ado

Post by much ado »

What is it going to take to convince them that there are now two different Republican parties? They should formalize the split.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

McConnell, 2010, promised to do everything he could to deny Obama a second term. Déjà vu.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Manu Raju @mkraju wrote: GOP Sen. Kevin Cramer on Rs who want to kill bipartisan immigration deal as Trump seeks to derail effort: "I reject the idea we should reserve a crisis for a better time to solve it... I don't see how we have a better story to tell when we miss the one opportunity to fix it."

Return to “Current Politics”