Assault on the Capitol (DC)

NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

realist wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 3:55 pm :snippity:

Too bad. It's small (I was really surprised how small, considering all the participants during the trials) but beautiful on the inside. I was fortunate enough to get a tour when on a Viking cruise. Included was a talk on the trial and the ins and outs of getting the prisoners to the courtroom, how crowded the room was with all the people involved, etc. It was very interesting.

I have some pics of it but for some reason could not get them to attach here.
My uncle, as a very young lawyer and a Jew, was a prosecutor at the Nuremberg trials. He never willingly spoke about it.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:28 am Hostetter failed to read the room. Also, he's a wack job poot.
Wack job poots failing to read the room is a feature, not a bug.
101010 :towel:
bob

Post by bob »

I agree this increases the likelihood of a cert. grant, but SCOTUS has been known to kick things down the road and then unceremoniously deny cert.

My WAG is at least one justice wanted more than the usual cert.-pool treatment.
Image ImageImage
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Snow Hill to Capitol Hill: NC couple arrested after FBI investigation into Jan. 6 riots

BY JULIA COIN
UPDATED DECEMBER 11, 2023 3:28 PM

They’ll always have the Capitol.

Wearing matching Blue Lives Matter sweatshirts with skulls, a couple swapped North Carolina’s sleepy Snow Hill for Capitol Hill. They Googled Washington, D.C., weather and where to find rentable Spin scooters. Then, on Jan. 6, 2021, they spurred havoc when they joined rioters at the U.S. Capitol, authorities say.

In their well-documented crusade, court documents show, Curtis Davis, 45, and Tanya Bishop, 48, pushed through guarded Capitol doors, climbed atop police cars and punched and shoved officers — trying to snatch their batons.

They now face a slew of charges, both felony and misdemeanor, for “civil disorder” and assaulting officers, according to the Department of Justice.

Found footage and body camera video detail the couple’s steps as the Rotunda filled with rioters and Donald Trump supporters who were enraged by the former president’s claims of a stolen election.

At one point, Bishop held Davis back as he yelled at officers trying to push rioters out. Eventually freed, he threw punches, video shows, and landed at least one punch on a Metropolitan Police Department officer.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/ ... 19453.html
bob

Post by bob »

NEW: Former Boston police officer Joseph R. Fisher has been arrested and charged with assaulting a USCP officer on Jan. 6.

Don't confuse him with former Pennsylvania police officer Joseph W. Fischer — also charged w/ assaulting police on Jan. 6.
SCOTUS will hear W. Fischer's case: SCOTUSblog: Court to weigh in on scope of law used in Jan. 6 prosecutions:
[T]he Supreme Court agreed to hear a case that could affect the charges against Trump even if the court ultimately rules that he is not immune from prosecution. The justices on Wednesday agreed to weigh in on the use of a federal law – also at issue in Trump’s case – that makes it a crime to “corruptly” obstruct congressional inquiries and investigations to prosecute participants in the Jan. 6 attacks on the U.S. Capitol.

The announcement that the justices would hear argument in Fischer v. United States came on a list of orders released on Wednesday morning. . . .

The defendant in the case, Joseph Fischer, says he was only briefly inside the Capitol on Jan. 6 but was charged with (among other things) assaulting a police officer, disorderly conduct in the Capitol, and obstruction of a congressional proceeding.

Fischer sought to have the charge at the center of his Supreme Court case dismissed, and U.S. District Judge Carl Nichols agreed. He reasoned that the law, which was enacted in the wake of the Enron collapse, was only intended to apply to evidence tampering that obstructs an official proceeding.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit reversed and reinstated the charges against Fischer (as well as those against two other men). It ruled that “[under] the most natural reading of the statute,” the law “applies to all forms of corrupt obstruction of an official proceeding, other than the conduct that is already covered by” the evidence-tampering provision.

In a dissenting opinion, Judge Gregory Katsas countered that the government’s interpretation of the law would render it “both improbably broad and unconstitutional in many of its applications.”
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Scott MacFarlane @MacFarlaneNews wrote: THIS MORNING: Feds seek 46 months prison in Jan 6 case of Anthony Sargent, arguing he "twice shoved 2 officers away from the Capitol as they tried to retreat to safety.. twice threw a heavy object at a set of doors leading into the Capitol w/ the intent to break the doors glass"
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

https://x.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/173 ... 54180?s=20
Scott MacFarlane @MacFarlaneNews wrote: ALERT: Judge sentences Capitol riot defendant Anthony Sargent to 60 months in prison (5 years)

This isn’t common. Judge went well above Justice Dept recommendation
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Sounds touristy, another political prisoner.
Scott MacFarlane @MacFarlaneNews wrote: Initial court appearance Thursday in Jan 6 case of Bart Gore

Feds allege he messaged on social media ahead of Jan 6, "I'd love to be the one to capture Obama or Hillary. I'd strip them naked and beat them with a belt and switch. Then I'd rest and beat them some more"
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Nice guy, not. But a bit out of touch with his timeline if he expected to meet Hillary or Obama in D.C. :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
DrIrvingFinegarten

Post by DrIrvingFinegarten »

MAGAs like to point out that it can’t can’t be an insurrection because they weren’t armed.

I produce evidence of someone in the mob who was arrested or convicted on gun charges . They say you need more than one gun. Also, other weapons don’t count.

Am I wrong to say that all you need is one person with a gun for the mob to be armed? How many people need to be armed and with what kind of weapons for it to be an insurrection?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Armed include stick stones and trump flag poles
DrIrvingFinegarten

Dave from down under wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:45 pm Armed include stick stones and trump flag poles

Well, yes, but their response is that that wasn’t enough to overturn the election.
I guess that’s an acceptable goalpost move.
Dave from down under

The term "dangerous weapon" means a weapon, device, instrument, material, or substance, animate or inanimate, that is used for, or is readily capable of, causing death or serious bodily injury, except that such term does not include a pocket knife with a blade of less than 2½ inches in length.
Dave from down under

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:48 pm
Dave from down under wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:45 pm Armed include stick stones and trump flag poles

Well, yes, but their response is that that wasn’t enough to overturn the election.
Only acceptable to a seditionist.

For example

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/USC ... sec930.htm

18 U.S.C.
United States Code, 2017 Edition
Title 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 44 - FIREARMS
Sec. 930 - Possession of firearms and dangerous weapons in Federal facilities
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:48 pm Well, yes, but their response is that that wasn’t enough to overturn the election.
Hmm. So their reasoning :nope: is that if a venture fails in its criminal objective, it cannot be a crime. Only successful crimes count.

I'm not convinced that courts see it that way.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

IANAL. So, I don't know if there is granularity to an insurrection charge ala attempted murder, attempted robbery, attempted assault, etc. But clearly those arguing the finer points of an insurrection charge would have particpated in the angels on a pinhead argument in it's day. It's not a battle of wits, but a war of attrition. Bring up obscure and oblique points, argue infinitum, and try to wear your political opponents down. So many attempt to make the internet into a blood sport. I refuse to engage with them.
raison de arizona

She seems delightful, she will be missed. Or something.
🪴Laurie @Laurieluvsmolly wrote: 🚨BREAKING-Meet one of the participants in the MAGA insurrection, Sara Carpenter, 53 yr old former NYPD who starts her 66 mos sentence tomorrow. Here her, “I’m a fucken animal, I am an animal, I am an animal. You hear me”? Enjoy prison. #MAGACult
DrIrvingFinegarten

Apparently their go-to response to “Why would Democrats want to overturn an election that Biden won” is that Democrats weee trying to interrupt the debat when evidence of fraud was presented, except at that point Biden’s election was a done deal and nothing could have been done to stop it.
terrastomp

Post by terrastomp »

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:37 am Apparently their go-to response to “Why would Democrats want to overturn an election that Biden won” is that Democrats weee trying to interrupt the debat when evidence of fraud was presented, except at that point Biden’s election was a done deal and nothing could have been done to stop it.

Is Toddler Syndrome a thing? Little kids create scenarios like these. :shrug:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Toddlers? Election fraud!!! It's all Obamas fault! Just check Hunter Bidens laptop!!! It's on the internet! Make your own research! :twisted:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I am a fan of critical thinking, but covid ruined the phrase "do your own research" for me. It became the battle cry of lazy thinking. Everytime I heard it I wanted to smack them on the forehead. The internet was supposed to help people and give them access to all kinds of knowledge. Instead it has become a vehicle for indoctrination. I would love to pull the plug. Unfortunately I know that the internet did not invent stupid. Stupid people were around long before phone lines carried basic internet service to every home computer. The desire to put a drill through their hard drives grows a little bit every month.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:26 am I am a fan of critical thinking, but covid ruined the phrase "do your own research" for me. It became the battle cry of lazy thinking. Everytime I heard it I wanted to smack them on the forehead. The internet was supposed to help people and give them access to all kinds of knowledge. Instead it has become a vehicle for indoctrination. I would love to pull the plug. Unfortunately I know that the internet did not invent stupid. Stupid people were around long before phone lines carried basic internet service to every home computer. The desire to put a drill through their hard drives grows a little bit every month.
Off Topic
I first heard that with the Bundy saga, as in "Do your own research" about government overreach, DC as a "corporation," land ownership, etc. These people don't know what "research" is.

I thought TV would help people aspire to greater things, but then reality TV came along. I've see only one program, Mantracker. That was more than enough. Never saw any of the apprentice carp.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:28 am :snippity:
Off Topic
:snippity:
I thought TV would help people aspire to greater things, but then reality TV came along. I've see only one program, Mantracker. That was more than enough. Never saw any of the apprentice carp.
sounds fishy ;) slimy programming :biggrin:
DrIrvingFinegarten

terrastomp wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:04 am
DrIrvingFinegarten wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:37 am Apparently their go-to response to “Why would Democrats want to overturn an election that Biden won” is that Democrats weee trying to interrupt the debat when evidence of fraud was presented, except at that point Biden’s election was a done deal and nothing could have been done to stop it.

This is how they explain it.
“ Once again, the CAPITOL RIOT did not disrupt the "election certification." It disrupted the ELECTION CHALLENGES.

There was no reason for Trump to disrupt the election challenges. There is nothing tying Trump to directing the unarmed extremists to commit the futile act of disrupting the election certification.

Then, the SAME DAY as the election certification, Trump said he would step aside for Biden on January 20. And he did.

Trump was IMPEACHED despite any evidence tying him to the Capitol Riot. Disputing election results, for the millionth time, is not a crime. In fact, one might argue that the ability to legally dispute elections is a core aspect of a functional democratic system.

There was no "insurrection." There were legal and constitutional challenges to the 2020 election. Just like Democrats had supported in every presidential election they lost since 2000.”
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

DrIrvingFinegarten wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:36 am
terrastomp wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:04 am

This is how they explain it.
“ Once again, the CAPITOL RIOT did not disrupt the "election certification." It disrupted the ELECTION CHALLENGES.

There was no reason for Trump to disrupt the election challenges. There is nothing tying Trump to directing the unarmed extremists to commit the futile act of disrupting the election certification.

Then, the SAME DAY as the election certification, Trump said he would step aside for Biden on January 20. And he did.

Trump was IMPEACHED despite any evidence tying him to the Capitol Riot. Disputing election results, for the millionth time, is not a crime. In fact, one might argue that the ability to legally dispute elections is a core aspect of a functional democratic system.

There was no "insurrection." There were legal and constitutional challenges to the 2020 election. Just like Democrats had supported in every presidential election they lost since 2000.”
Why do you engage those fuckwits? And if their arguments are so weak, why do you have to come ask us how to respond to them?

Return to “The January 6 Insurrection, including Criminal Cases”