💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

The 118th Congress with "My Kevin" McCarthy then "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House /Clowns

Post by Ben-Prime »

bob wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:14 pm
SuzieC wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:12 pm CA Fogbowzers: Special election to fill McCarthy's seat? Any possibility Bakersfield area could go Dem?
No.
So, really, the question is more: Will it go MAGA/Club For Growth/Tea Party Republican or Koch Network/Chamber of Commerce Republican?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

The 118th Congress with "My Kevin" McCarthy then "Fuc*ing Fuc*wad" Mike Johnson, Speaker of the House /Clowns

Post by RTH10260 »

House Republicans to move forward on formalizing Biden impeachment inquiry next week
Speaker Mike Johnson said he believes Republicans will have the votes they need.

ByKatherine Faulders, Lauren Peller, John Parkinson, Jay O'Brien, and Arthur Jones II
December 7, 2023, 7:05 PM

The House Rules Committee announced Thursday it will consider a resolution next week to formalize Republicans' ongoing impeachment inquiry into President Joe Biden, and the White House called the move a "baseless stunt."

The panel will mark up a resolution on Tuesday, Dec. 12 to direct the House Oversight, Judiciary and Ways and Means committees to continue their work investigating Biden.

As the House prepares to take action next week, lawmakers are digging into partisan trenches -- setting up a party-line vote.

Even moderate GOP impeachment skeptics who represent districts that Biden won in 2020 are coming around in support of the resolution. House Speaker Mike Johnson previously told reporters he believed Republicans would have the necessary support for the resolution to pass.

"It is the legislative branch's responsibility to assert our responsibility," said New York Rep. Marc Molinaro. "Without question there are issues of impropriety, and they have to be confronted."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/house-r ... =105454753
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

So impeachments are now tit-for-tat. Got it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

p0rtia wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:33 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:28 pm
p0rtia wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:07 pm

Pretty sure those aren't the numbers.

Max is 435

Dems are (hopefully) solid at 213

Reps recently filled a vacancy, and were a 222.

With Santos (gone), McCarthy (Jan), and Bill Johnson ("soon") that brings them down to 219, for a couple of months.

So they can afford to lose two votes (217 to 215). Three votes presents the possibility of a tie (216 to 216).
Math is hard. I don't know how it works and I'm getting the same numbers you are, but reporting all over is saying they now have a three vote majority, minus McCathry, minus Bill Johnson would be one, no? But the math doesn't work for that so I dunno how they are figuring.

Example, BBC:
With Mr Santos out, there are now 221 Republicans and 213 Democrats in the chamber. On any party-line vote, Republicans can only afford to lose three on their own side.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67594903

Halp!
BBC is (of course) correct. As are you! Start with 221 (post Santos) Rs and 213 Ds (which is a combined 434 filled seats and one vacancy [Santos]). If 3 Rs decide to vote with the Ds, that makes 216 votes for the D side, and 218 votes for the R side, so the Rs still have control. So the Rs can "afford" to lose those 3 votes. But no more! Because if 4 Rs vote with the 213 Ds, that makes 217 votes for the D side, and leaves 217 for the R side. (221 minus 4). A tie. No control for the Rs. So 221 to 213 is a "3 vote margin".

If there are only 219 Republicans (post Santos, McCarthy, and Johnson), and those same three Rs decide to vote with the Dems, The Rs are down to 216 and the Ds go up to 216. A tie. No control for the Rs. So, the R's can only "afford" to lose 2 votes to the Ds, which would make it 217 to 215. A "2 vote margin."

I have not seen an explanation of the "1 vote margin" various mediaites and politicians have mentioned.
Best case scenario is that, for a short period, the D's would only need 3 crossovers to pass something.

Right now, they need 5 which is the same as it was before Santos was gone (the difference between 217.5 and 217 and either one requires 218 votes).

After McCarty leaves, it will be 4 crossover votes.

Johnson has not said when he will start at YSU and leave the House but for argument sake, let's say, January with the Kevster. The result is still 4 crossover votes.

If Santos's seat goes to a D before any special election for the other seats, then it is 3 because a majority vote is 217 just as it would be for 3 empty seats.

After that, the needed crossovers will go back up because I highly doubt the D's will pick up those 2 seats.

So, the end result, if they pick up the NY seat, is that the would need 4 crossovers. If they managed a miracle and picked up the other 2, then it would be 2 crossovers.

Nothing in this will include 1. I may be looking at something wrong, but you can't even get a tie with one crossover on a best-case scenario. You can't tie on 217.5 unless you cut a Congresscritter in half.
101010 :towel:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

northland10 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:28 pm Nothing in this will include 1. I may be looking at something wrong, but you can't even get a tie with one crossover on a best-case scenario. You can't tie on 217.5 unless you cut a Congresscritter in half.
Brilliant idea! I'm all in!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:32 pm
northland10 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:28 pm Nothing in this will include 1. I may be looking at something wrong, but you can't even get a tie with one crossover on a best-case scenario. You can't tie on 217.5 unless you cut a Congresscritter in half.
Brilliant idea! I'm all in!
Are you getting beheadings back? :twisted:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Jim Jordan smacked down by DOJ official after blaming Trump-era investigation on Biden

David Edwards
December 5, 2023 12:18PM ET

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) curbed a line of questioning on Tuesday after a Department of Justice official informed him that an investigation into Elon Musk's SpaceX was opened during former President Donald Trump's administration.

During a House Judiciary Committee hearing on Tuesday, Jordan asked Assistant Attorney General Kristen Clarke about a civil rights investigation into SpaceX. The DOJ's lawsuit accused the company of refusing to hire asylum recipients and refugees.

"Did Elon Musk's purchase of Twitter have anything to do with the Justice Department's decision to file that lawsuit against SpaceX?" Jordan demanded to know.

But Clarke reminded Jordan that the investigation was started under Trump's administration.

"The investigation into SpaceX was open during the last administration, and we filed an administrative action under the Immigration and Nationality Act, an important law passed by this body with bipartisan support and signed into law by President Reagan," she explained.

"What are you alleging that SpaceX did wrong?" Jordan asked, ignoring Clarke's answer.

https://www.rawstory.com/jim-jordan-spacex/
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Looks like Bill Johnson is leaving in Feb (my WAG is that he'll be gone after the holidays, but maybe they'll blackmail him into staying for the big Jan votes).
Johnson plans to resign from Congress in February or early March with the YSU presidency starting March 15.
https://www.theintelligencer.net/news/t ... niversity/
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Ah, the lady from the great state of North Carolina. :crazy:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Don’t tell them that’s called homo milk in Canada :shh: :shh:
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

jemcanada2 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:03 pm Don’t tell them that’s called homo milk in Canada :shh: :shh:
:confuzzled: Why?

I mean why homo milk, not why don't tell them. Homogenized?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Dr. Ken wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:36 pm
Is this one of those Sarah Palin inspired "kids should have WHOLE milk, none of of that healthy 2% BS"? Remember how offended Palin was when Michelle Obama wasn't trying to take any unhealthy options off the table, just add healthy options? So offended that she had to take junk food to the local elementary school? I think this is supposed to be an anti-2% milk thingy or something along those lines. Maybe not, but that was my first impression. You know Republicans, they can't just be FOR something, it has to be a rant against something. She's putting way too much stress on the word "whole" for this to be anything but ranting against the healthier milk choice in schools.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

The lady from N Carolina must hate ice cream and butter. How unAmerican is that? Where does she think the other butterfat goes to at the dairy? It don't go down the drain. I can tell her that. That's money. Every drop is gold at a dairy.
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

Not being ageist (cuz she's probably not a lot older than I am) but back in our day, we did have whole milk in elementary school. But at that time there wasn't an obesity epidemic. But what a dumb topic.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I suppose that some people, even Congress people, might get confused because whole grain products are more nutritious so whole milk products should also also be more nutritious.

Of course if Michelle Obama had advocated for whole milk Republicans would demand 1/2 % milk. ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:08 am
jemcanada2 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:03 pm

Yes, it’s short for homogenized (and it’s sold in bags) ;)
raison de arizona

jemcanada2 wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:50 pm
Sam the Centipede wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:08 am
jemcanada2 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:03 pm

Yes, it’s short for homogenized (and it’s sold in bags) ;)
There's something terribly wrong about that. It's the bag.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Udderly ridiculous ;)
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

You can buy homo milk in a bag? :batting:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Dr. Ken wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:49 am
Forgive me if I'm misrememering, but wasn't one of the big arguments that the R's used to overturn Roe the idea that such questions should be left to the state legislatures?

So, here they come with a proposed FEDERAL law, that, because of the Supremacy clause, would override any state laws to the contrary?
raison de arizona

noblepa wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:39 am Forgive me if I'm misrememering, but wasn't one of the big arguments that the R's used to overturn Roe the idea that such questions should be left to the state legislatures?

So, here they come with a proposed FEDERAL law, that, because of the Supremacy clause, would override any state laws to the contrary?
Yeah, turns out they were full of shite.

Shocking, I know.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

It's a shame men don't get pregnant.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

As I've heard said, then abortion would be a sacrament.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Current Politics”