Hijack This Thread

Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Flatpoint High »

wqe5b5efff5c1.jpg
wqe5b5efff5c1.jpg (37.79 KiB) Viewed 27917 times
:roll: :roll: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall: :brickwallsmall:
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Hijack This Thread

Post by neonzx »

And here yet again is why I hate screen caps that have no date/time stamps (why do people crop those out???). It makes them look faked from the start.

"infront" is improper word usage in that tweet or twit or whatever.
much ado

Hijack This Thread

Post by much ado »

Well, that's an object lesson on why not to start talking about something you know nothing about.

(Someone should tell him, "Too bad, you're cisgender, but with an operation, you can get it fixed.")
Dave from down under

Hijack This Thread

Post by Dave from down under »

Breaking news!!!!!! :popcorn: ;)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-11/ ... /103205620

Dave Grohl volunteers in Melbourne, SNL takes on 'Save The Last Dance', and we explain Gag City meme
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

SWMBO used to volunteer for One Umbrella before it was renamed Big Umbrella.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Hijack This Thread

Post by northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:42 pm And here yet again is why I hate screen caps that have no date/time stamps (why do people crop those out???). It makes them look faked from the start.

"infront" is improper word usage in that tweet or twit or whatever.
The screenshot of what he said has been bouncing around since at least August 2020. Lily Simpson had a reply on a different X account of hers but his statement was from a screenshot.

If he did say it, folks may have taken a screenshot and not just the reply because they thought they would lose it if he got smart and deleted it (not sure if that would happen), or he got suspended/baned again on Twitter (more likely).
101010 :towel:
keith

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

keith wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:00 am SWMBO used to volunteer for One Umbrella before it was renamed Big Umbrella.
Self correction: I'm told big umbrella and one umbrella are two different organization in the same general charity space. One Umbrella takes left over food from supermarkets and restaurants and prepares meals for distribution.

My mistake.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

My wife has been sending me videos. I must share this one, who among us hasn’t been there?

And this was cool too.
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10

Hijack This Thread

Post by northland10 »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:31 am My wife has been sending me videos. I must share this one, who among us hasn’t been there?
:lol:

The guy who posted it is an amazing composer, especially of choral music. He also did some virtual choir things where 2,000+ folks recorded their part and it was all mixed to one thing and this was before the COVID shutdown.
p0rtia

Hijack This Thread

Post by p0rtia »

Help Wanted!

Looking for someone with access to Adobe InDesign.

I have a small number of .indd files that I need to convert to .idml, which, Prof. Google tells me, can only be done from within InDesign or by purchasing the very cool app, IDMarkz for 109 bucks.

Hoping I can send the .indd files to someone who can convert them and send them back.

When I moved to the Ventura OS last winter, my beloved Creative Suite apps were too old to make the journey with me. I'm semi-retired now, so the high cost of the Adobe apps is prohibitive. I'm switching over to open-source and the reasonably priced Affinity products. So far I'm happy, as Affinity Publisher emulates InDesign closely enough that it is an enjoyable learning curve. But it won't open .indd's.

Who are our other editors here??? I know there are a few.

Thanks!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

p0rtia wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:04 pm Help Wanted!

Looking for someone with access to Adobe InDesign.

I have a small number of .indd files that I need to convert to .idml, which, Prof. Google tells me, can only be done from within InDesign or by purchasing the very cool app, IDMarkz for 109 bucks.
:snippity:
Out of interest I snooped around. There is a 7day trial for InDesign, but maybe the export or print to pdf feature may be restricted. Adobe says then US$22.99/mo. I did not see a minimum subscription period mentioned. Maybe a short subscription to convert may solve your problem.
(re: https://www.adobe.com/products/indesign ... nload.html )
p0rtia

Hijack This Thread

Post by p0rtia »

Cool! Thanks! I'll check it out.

Although its not export to pdf I need, it;s to .idml.

:bighug:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Hijack This Thread

Post by raison de arizona »

The moon would drift and you’d have to have a bonus day every year. I guess.
IMG_6693.jpeg
IMG_6693.jpeg (128.11 KiB) Viewed 27256 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Hijack This Thread

Post by RTH10260 »

at a time when the US still cannot decide to go full metric :|
:lol:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

Here's a thought:

The Olympics is coming, next year it will be in France. We're going to discuss, but if I put a thread in the Sportsball forum, people who are not members of the Sports Fans usergroup will not be able to see it.

So howzaboutit, sports ignorers. Do you want to ignore the Olympics, too also, or should I make it a publicly available thread somewhere? When the time comes, I mean. Just thinking about it in advance, really.
:oldman:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

Foggy wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:21 am Here's a thought:
I vote to make it a publicly available thread somewhere...
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Hijack This Thread

Post by Foggy »

World's most popular sports, by country.

Source: Wikinews

What the hell is Gaelic Football? :confuzzled:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Rolodex

Hijack This Thread

Post by Rolodex »

The Olympics is coming, next year it will be in France. We're going to discuss, but if I put a thread in the Sportsball forum, people who are not members of the Sports Fans usergroup will not be able to see it.

So howzaboutit, sports ignorers. Do you want to ignore the Olympics, too also, or should I make it a publicly available thread somewhere? When the time comes, I mean. Just thinking about it in advance, really.
As a non-sportsball person, I think an Olympics thread is a good idea outside of sports. Lots of us watch the Olympics. Plus, there's always good juicy stuff going on during the Games that aren't part of a sport. Like pictures of certain Olympians inspiring stories.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Hijack This Thread

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I vote for publicly available. It's one of the few sports things I pay attention to.
MN-Skeptic

Hijack This Thread

Post by MN-Skeptic »

One more vote for publicly available.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

I am totally agnostic to sports. But keeping a specific Olympic thread public is probably better especially if something newsworthy (but not catastrophic) happens.
Sam the Centipede

Hijack This Thread

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Foggy wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:33 am What the hell is Gaelic Football? :confuzzled:
It's a form of football played in Ireland. The ball is similar to a soccer ball, a leather(ish?) sphere. Players can kick (yes, it's not like American football, where kicking the ball usually breaks the rules!!) or punch the ball to pass it to other players. The goals look like a hybrid of soccer (real football as the rest of the world knows it) and rugby, having both a net and extended uprights. 1 point for kicking the ball between the uprights, 3 points for kicking it into the goal. Played (iirc) with 15 players on each team, who tend to stay in their approximate areas of the pitch as forwards, half forwards, half backs, backs and goalkeeper, so the ball travels mainly by passing. The player cannot carry the ball, although they can possibly move with it by bouncing it a little like basketball - but I'm not sure of the rules. I haven't been to a gaelic football match since the 1970s, so I'm rusty! No offside rule (as far as I am aware), and no "downs" or any nonsense like that, it's a continuous free-for-all.

Hurling is played on the same pitch, with broadly similar rules and scoring, but the ball (a sliotar, pronounced something like shleeter, and there's an accent on it somewhere probably) is similar to a hockey ball and the sticks (hurleys) are rather like 4 foot long wooden spoons.

Hurling is great fun. If you're ever in Dublin, get along to Croke Park if there is a match on. Or pick up a local game anywhere in Ireland.
sugar magnolia

Hijack This Thread

Post by sugar magnolia »

Politicians aren't the only ones in Texas who are delusional.

From a survey of the age children stop believing in Santa.
Children in Texas hold the belief longer than any other state in the United States, on average, stopping at 10 years, and 5 months
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/childre ... 53742.html
keith

Hijack This Thread

Post by keith »

Gaelic and Aussie rules are very similar. The goals are different, but the two games ar close enough that they can have international challenge tests with minimum confusion.

Players may contradict me but I'd say that Gaelic rules and Aussie rules afe closer thab Rugby Ubion and Rugby League.
northland10

Hijack This Thread

Post by northland10 »

Interestingly, I have found myself becoming angrier than normal with the RW antics this month. I am not sure if it is because they are getting louder and uglier, or the typical organist/choir director in December stress is letting my normally better-controlled emotions run a bit wild. It's probably a bit of both.

It does leave me needing to go rather quickly through some threads here and jump out if it starts raising my ire. I guess that means more posting to non-RW games threads. If I had more time, it would result in more bird pictures.

Here endeth the psychological self-evaluation.

Return to “General Stuff”