Rest In Peace

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by Slim Cognito »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:09 pm Sometimes it does. My mom was only in hospice for nine days.
My mother was in hospice for over 2 years. my husband, 8 hours. But they were vastly different medical situations.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Lani

Rest In Peace

Post by Lani »

:crying: Lots of memories. Mostly happy. Unfortunately, too many coworkers couldn't wait for Reagan too take over.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
MN-Skeptic

Rest In Peace

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Rosalynn's Farewell.webp
Rosalynn's Farewell.webp (36.44 KiB) Viewed 7703 times
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Rest In Peace

Post by Frater I*I »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 8:42 pm Rosalynn's Farewell.webp
:lovestruck:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
pipistrelle

Rest In Peace

Post by pipistrelle »

I hope the Rosalynn Carter Butterfly Trail continues.

https://rosalynncarterbutterflytrail.org
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Rest In Peace

Post by raison de arizona »

Jimmy Carter knows what is important.
Kaivan Shroff @KaivanShroff wrote: Asked if winning a Nobel Peace Prize or becoming President was the most exciting thing that happened to him Jimmy Carter responds, “when Rosalynn said she’d marry me — I think that was the most exciting thing.”
bonus
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
GlimDropper

Rest In Peace

Post by GlimDropper »

Viktor Belenko died on September 24th.

Belenko was a soviet fighter pilot who defected to the west in 1976 in a then cutting edge MiG-25 interceptor aircraft.

I'm not in position to gift article links and the link I have wont translate here so I'll copy and paste the New York Times obituary:
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Rest In Peace

Post by keith »

I thought sure I posted this, but I don't see it now. Pardon me if it is actually a dup.

Jimmy Carter first met Rosalynn on the day she was born, and he held her on the day she died.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RVInit

Rest In Peace

Post by RVInit »

keith wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:47 am I thought sure I posted this, but I don't see it now. Pardon me if it is actually a dup.

Jimmy Carter first met Rosalynn on the day she was born, and he held her on the day she died.
:lovestruck:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona

Rest In Peace

On Sunday it was announced that former first lady Rosalynn Carter had died, at age 96. The Carter family said she was suffering from dementia earlier this year.

Although President Jimmy Carter only served for one term, Rosalyn Carter transformed the role of first lady.

Her influence continued for decades after she left the White House.

NPR's Scott Detrow speaks with journalist Judy Woodruff, who covered the Carter administration, about Rosalynn Carter's life and legacy.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

:?: Have any of the Republican lawmakers made any kind of acknowledgement of her death? Or tfg even? Not that those comments would be sincere, but curious to see if they even tried to be human. :whistle:
raison de arizona

Rest In Peace

Kendra wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:45 am :?: Have any of the Republican lawmakers made any kind of acknowledgement of her death? Or tfg even? Not that those comments would be sincere, but curious to see if they even tried to be human. :whistle:
tfg put out a nice statement that he clearly didn't write.
► Show Spoiler
Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

Thanks rda. No, there's no way he wrote that. Not enough CAPS!!!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by AndyinPA »

https://wapo.st/47Nj9LJ

Gifted.
As Rosalynn Carter’s health steadily faded Saturday night, her husband, Jimmy Carter, sat beside her bed in his wheelchair.

At 96, she had an infection that had not improved with antibiotics. The day before, she had entered hospice in her home and her caregivers shifted from trying to prolong life to making her last days more comfortable.

“My Dad told her he loved her and thanked her for all the wonderful things she had done,” said James E. “Chip” Carter III, who was in his parents’ bedroom with other family members. “Then he asked us to leave so he could be alone with her.”

The 99-year-old former president sat holding the hand of the former first lady, his wife of 77 years, for about half an hour. “I’m sure he was praying,” Chip Carter said.

Then, late Saturday, aides helped Jimmy into his own hospital bed. It had been placed feet-to-feet with his wife’s hospital bed, so the Carters could be propped up and face each other and talk.

But when the sun rose, Rosalynn was no longer able to speak. At 2:10 p.m. Sunday, with Jimmy looking at her from his bed, Rosalynn’s journey from the tiny farming town of Plains, Ga., to the White House and national fame ended where it began.

g
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

For long time Seattle area residents only, the rest of you might not recognize, but I haz a sad over this news. He was always my favorite weather guy. :cry:

https://www.king5.com/article/news/loca ... j-W-ZrKDBE
SEATTLE — Steve Pool, a beloved weather anchor at KOMO News in Seattle for more than 40 years, has died.

Pool’s wife, Michelle, announced Pool’s death Friday saying Pool died of early-onset Alzheimer’s disease.

Michelle wrote that her husband fought the disease privately for several years “with every ounce of his being.”

Pool retired from KOMO in 2019 after working at the station for more than 40 years and surviving prostate cancer.

“Please know that he truly loved his job and this community and felt so privileged to be a part of your lives,” Michelle wrote in an Instagram post. “You all were so good to him and thereby good to us. Our hearts are irretrievably broken.”

Pool was a trailblazer. He was among the first African-American weathercasters in the country and became a trusted local TV personality. He was an eight-time Emmy Award winner, author and father to two daughters.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by jcolvin2 »

I remember Steve Pool from when I used to have TV. (I cut the cable in 1996.) While I usually watched the local news on KING rather than KOMO, I remember him as a pleasant fellow.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Rest In Peace

Post by poplove »

#BREAKING - The legendary Marty Krofft died this afternoon at the age of 86 from kidney failure. With his brother, Sid, they created such children’s classic TV as “H.R Pufnstuf,” “Lidsville” and “Land of the Lost.” He was a wonderful man. May he R.I.P. 🙏
Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/27/politics ... index.html

Former President Jimmy Carter is expected to attend the Tuesday memorial service for his late wife, Rosalynn Carter, in Atlanta, his grandson told CNN – a tribute that will also be attended by all of the living former first ladies.

The former president is planning to travel to Atlanta for the service at Glenn Memorial United Methodist Church on Emory University’ campus, Carter’s grandson Jason Carter told CNN.

First lady Jill Biden will be joined by former first ladies Hillary Clinton, Laura Bush, Michelle Obama and Melania Trump in attending the service. President Joe Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris and second gentleman Doug Emhoff are also expected to be present, as is former President Bill Clinton.

It is common for sitting and former first ladies to attend the funerals of former first ladies. Trump’s attendance, however, marks a rare public appearance for the former first lady, who has largely avoided the public eye since leaving Washington in January 2021, even as her husband pursues a return to the White House. Former President Donald Trump is not expected to attend the service.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by Slim Cognito »

I wonder if she was forced to do it or she's doing it to troll hubby since Clinton and Biden will attend.

Honestly, I don't think anyone can force Melanie to do anything she doesn't want to do, and I'm ok with that. I will give her a small kudos for this, although I'm probably the only one.

Too bad Bush and Obama aren't going. I know it's not standard procedure but in this day and age, any show of unity, kindness and respect would be greatly appreciated.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Rest In Peace

Post by Kendra »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:26 pm I wonder if she was forced to do it or she's doing it to troll hubby since Clinton and Biden will attend.

Honestly, I don't think anyone can force Melanie to do anything she doesn't want to do, and I'm ok with that. I will give her a small kudos for this, although I'm probably the only one.

Too bad Bush and Obama aren't going. I know it's not standard procedure but in this day and age, any show of unity, kindness and respect would be greatly appreciated.
I agree, definitely would be nice to see Bush and Obama there, but IIRC, she did go to the funeral for the first President Bush and it went well. It's only when the Orange One shows up that the :shit: show begins.

I did hear on CNN that while the service is private for attendees, they will be broadcasting the service live tomorrow morning. If I understood the announcement correctly that is :oldlady:
sugar magnolia

Rest In Peace

Post by sugar magnolia »

I think it's a good thing Obama won't be there. The news would be all about him when it should be about Mrs. Carter. The media can't help themselves but she deserves better than that.
pipistrelle

Rest In Peace

Post by pipistrelle »

Her attendance could be to calculated to show normalcy. Just sayin.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by AndyinPA »

She will likely receive a gracious reception.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Rolodex

Rest In Peace

Post by Rolodex »

Roselyn Carter's funeral is being broadcast - live at least on MSNBC. Not sure about other outlets. It's lovely so far (1st 15 minutes).
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
AndyinPA
Verified:

Rest In Peace

Post by AndyinPA »

Rolodex wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:35 pm Roselyn Carter's funeral is being broadcast - live at least on MSNBC. Not sure about other outlets. It's lovely so far (1st 15 minutes).
Thank you.

Return to “General Stuff”