X -Where Twitter goes to die.

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Today's SpaceX launch of a Starship experienced a "rapid unscheduled disassembly." Funny how that's what Musk is currently doing to Twitter.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

chancery wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:43 pm Musk's bumptious threat provoked Popehat to make a brief return to twitter:

DoneHat
@Popehat
There are about fifty reasons your petulant flounce is nonsense, you emotionally spavined freak, but let’s start with the first clause of the first sentence: it’s 2023 and you e-file complaints now. You don‘t have to wait for the courthouse to be open. You utter vagina.
It is Pophat so I will allow it.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:42 pm Here's a link to the story shown in the tweet above - Elon Musk to file ‘thermonuclear lawsuit’ as advertisers desert X
IANAL, but it seems to me that those companies are free to advertise on X or to not advertise on X. They have no legal obligation to advertise there, nor does X or Musk have legal right to their advertising dollars. They can withdraw their advertising for any reason, or no reason. It is entirely up to them.

Even if more than one advertiser communicated and together decided to withdraw their advertising, I'm not sure that that is illegal or an actionable tort that Elmo could sue over.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

But he's not filing a regular lawsuit. He's filing a thermonuclear lawsuit, so that's different somehow.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Foggy wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:00 pm But he's not filing a regular lawsuit. He's filing a thermonuclear lawsuit, so that's different somehow.
A thermonuclear lawsuit filed by a vagina. Legal history could be made.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

neonzx wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:48 pm
chancery wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:43 pm Musk's bumptious threat provoked Popehat to make a brief return to twitter:

DoneHat
@Popehat
There are about fifty reasons your petulant flounce is nonsense, you emotionally spavined freak, but let’s start with the first clause of the first sentence: it’s 2023 and you e-file complaints now. You don‘t have to wait for the courthouse to be open. You utter vagina.
We women want nothing to do with Musk. He's a dick. Not a vagina.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Sorry if anyone is trying to write the word p*u*s*s* etc., the word censor is set to prevent that word. Also the C word.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
bob

Post by bob »

noblepa wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:57 pm
Even if more than one advertiser communicated and together decided to withdraw their advertising, I'm not sure that that is illegal or an actionable tort that Elmo could sue over.
There's always plain ole defamation.

Too also, in theory, it could be other causes of actions. Some jurisdictions recognize the torts of intentional interference with prospective economic advantage and intentional interference with contractual relations.

There are actually rather difficult to plead and prove, but, in Ahmurika, anybody can sue anybody for anything. :towel:

And if Klayman was filing this lawsuit, he'd shirley throw in some trademark claims or other such nonsense. Anything that a spaghetti shotgun could fire to see what sticks.
Image ImageImage
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

noblepa wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 3:57 pm IANAL, but it seems to me that those companies are free to advertise on X or to not advertise on X. They have no legal obligation to advertise there, nor does X or Musk have legal right to their advertising dollars. They can withdraw their advertising for any reason, or no reason. It is entirely up to them.
There is a bit of a trend with cultural 'free market' fighters that feel there are legitimate reasons to not do business and illegitimate reasons, and of course they decide which is which, thus if you decide not to give them money you are ruining capitalism. These are the same people who feel they get to decide what is offensive to others etc.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:33 pm

Damn straight. He lacks warmth and depth (as the saying goes).
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Foggy wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:36 pm Sorry if anyone is trying to write the word p*u*s*s* etc., the word censor is set to prevent that word. Also the C word.
You guys deny yourselves perfectly good descriptive words by denying yourselves them. Just saying. Especially since People at Trumps Scottish Golf course used them all the time to describe him.

Edit, for the record, the word Popehat used started with T.
Hic sunt dracones
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Off Topic
Not that this matters to this discussion at all, but I've been told that the T word is not all that offensive across the pond where it's much more widely used.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:47 pm
Off Topic
Not that this matters to this discussion at all, but I've been told that the T word is not all that offensive across the pond where it's much more widely used.
Off Topic
Nope. It's basically just a more contemptuous version of "Twit."
Hic sunt dracones
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Suranis wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:58 pm
Shizzle Popped wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:47 pm
Off Topic
Off Topic
Nope. It's basically just a more contemptuous version of "Twit."
I have heard cu** and fu** in conversations, but I have NEVER heard tw** spoken. It's just not said wherever I've been.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Off Topic
https://www.joe.co.uk/life/a-definitive ... est-122544
A definitive ranking of every swear word from worst to best
FFS
Hic sunt dracones
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Off Topic
In deference to the precedent set in this discussion, I've asterisked the word in question in the quotation below.

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/language ... 01814.html
In 1841, [the English poet Robert] Browning published the long dramatic poem Pippa Passes, now best known for the lines “God’s in His heaven/ All’s right with the world.” Toward the end of it, he sets up a kind of Gothic scene, and writes:

Then, owls and bats,
Cowls and tw*ts,
Monks and nuns, in a cloister’s moods,
Adjourn to the oak-stump pantry!

The second of these lines created no stir at all, presumably because the middle class had truly forgotten the word “tw*t” (just as it had forgotten “quaint,” so that Marvell’s pun on the two meanings in “To His Coy Mistress” has fallen flat for six or eight generations now). A few scholars must have recognized the word, but any who did behaved like loyal subjects when the emperor wore his new clothes, and discreetly said nothing. No editor of Browning has ever expurgated the line, even when Rossetti was diligently cutting mere “womb” out of Whitman.

The first response only came forty years later when the editors of the Oxford English Dictionary, collecting examples of usage, like Johnson before them, and interested to find a contemporary use of “tw*t,” wrote to Browning to ask in what sense he was using it. Browning is said to have written back that he used it to mean a piece of headgear for nuns, comparable to the cowls for monks he put in the same line. The editors are then supposed to have asked if he recalled where he had learned the word. Browning replied that he knew exactly. He had read widely in seventeenth-century literature in his youth, and in a broadside poem called “Vanity of Vanities”, published in 1659, he had found these lines, referring to an ambitious cleric:

They talk’t of his having a Cardinall’s Hat;
They’d send him as soon an Old Nun’s Tw*t.

If you are sufficiently delicate and sheltered, it is possible to take the last word as meaning something like a wimple, and Browning did. A fugitive and cloistered virtue can get into difficulties that even Milton didn’t think of.
I'll note that "cutting mere 'womb' out of Whitman" is ... a remarkable turn of phrase.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Suranis wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:26 pm
Off Topic
FFS
Suranis - Have you actually heard of all of those words? A number of them are completely new to me in the U.S.
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:33 pm

These type dicks are big defenders of freedom until other people's freedoms harm (or merely offend) them.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:20 pm
Suranis wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 7:26 pm
Off Topic
FFS
Suranis - Have you actually heard of all of those words? A number of them are completely new to me in the U.S.
Off Topic
About 85% of them I have, ya. Tho haven;t are way out there and very English. But then there is the good old Irish word "Gobshite," which isn't on it. Comes from the Irish for Mouth, "gob." You work out the rest.

And there is a local slang for travelers/Gypsys:- "Paveys."
Hic sunt dracones
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Foggy wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:00 pm But he's not filing a regular lawsuit. He's filing a thermonuclear lawsuit, so that's different somehow.
I think it involves WOPR/Joshua from Wargames.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Ben-Prime wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:39 pm
I think it involves WOPR/Joshua from Wargames.
Greetings Professor Musk....

A strange game...the only winning move is not to play....

I'll come in again... :bag:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Yeah, that's an English (as in England,, the country not the language) list. It has no Scots words. And no Irish feck!

For referernce, in GB, tw@t is multi-mraning, typically either female pudenda (rude) or to hit something or somebody (colloquial). "… then he twatted the prat." means "… following the altercation he punched the aforementioned annoying person."

F$nny is to be used carefully in Britain. Its meaning is identical anatomically to tw@t and similar, however non-American speakers of English are exposed to enough US entertainment that they recognize the mismatch. A f$nny pack became a bum bag in GB, bum meaning the gluteal region of a person's anatomy.

One can f£nny about meaning to engage in unproductive activity when more pressing or meritorious alternatives exist. One can also bum around, meaning to explore in a desultory fashion or very cheaply.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Ron Filipkowski
@ronfilipkowski@bird.makeup
This is a post from Stephen Miller, who would have a senior role in a second Trump Admin, calling on Republican DAs to jail reporters with Media Matters because of their dispute with Musk.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

The Republicans practically invented the modern boycott, ffs. Gays allowed to enter Disneyland? Horrors! Boycott! Used a trans person in an ad campaign? Boycott!

This is a glorified boycott, more effective maybe than theirs but in their mold. How can they now say… oh, right. Never mind.

I really really hate this timeline.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:36 pm Sorry if anyone is trying to write the word p*u*s*s* etc., the word censor is set to prevent that word. Also the C word.
Sorry, I get to start at the right place, but I can't make it stop. Feel free to stop it after about 30 seconds.

Has everybody heard about the bird?

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”