George Santos (R-NY) and his imaginative (but dishonest) résumé

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Thanks for that.

I was musing recently about what was going on in the minds of such staffers as were staying on in the Santos sty. Hoping to get credit for loyalty? Hoping to extend the grift another week? Convinced that it was their duty to complete a job they had signed up for (the ladies will fall for this one--if there are any women in his office).

I wish I could say I feel sorry for them, but I feel they have an opportunity to learn a powerful life lesson.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Will Santos resign before any expulsion vote??

:rotflmao: Just kidding!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Walls close in on George Santos amid mounting political, legal drama

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4316 ... ge-santos/
The embattled New York Republican is coming off a bruising week that began with his second former aide taking a plea deal, continued with the release of a damning Ethics report and ended with the introduction of another expulsion resolution that could end his career in Congress.

But the Santos storm is likely to worsen: The congressman is staring down a third potential vote on his ouster, which appears more and more likely to succeed as a growing number of lawmakers initially apprehensive toward expulsion say they will vote to remove him from office.

At least 12 Republicans who did not vote to remove Santos earlier this month say they now support expulsion, citing the 56-page Ethics report, which cited “substantial evidence” that the first-term lawmaker “violated federal criminal laws.”

“After today’s release of the report from the Ethics Committee, it is clear that George Santos is unfit to serve and should be removed from office. George has betrayed the trust of his constituents who deserve honesty and transparency from their elected official,” Rep. Stephanie Bice (R-Okla.), who previously voted against expulsion, wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Rep. Andrew Garbarino (R-N.Y.), a member of the Ethics Committee who did not cast any vote on the Santos expulsion referendum earlier this month, said he will vote to remove Santos from office.

“He is undeserving of public office,” Garbarino, who represents a district that neighbors Santos’s, said in a statement. “Now that the Ethics Committee has completed its investigation and issued its report outlining his reprehensible actions, I will support the expulsion of Congressman George Santos from the House of Representatives.”

A handful of Democrats who voted against ousting Santos earlier this month — including Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.), who opposed the effort over concerns of setting a dangerous precedent — also threw their support behind expulsion in the wake of the Ethics report, taking a stance against the embattled lawmaker after reviewing the panel’s work.

Those newfound expulsion backers join the 179 lawmakers — 24 Republicans, 155 Democrats — who voted to oust Santos on Nov. 1, bringing the congressman’s sharpest critics that much closer to the required two-thirds margin to boot him from office.
Still a long way to go to get to 2/3rds.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

Magic number is 290 which is 2/3 of 535.
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Atticus Finch wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:29 am Magic number is 290 which is 2/3 of 535.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:02 am
Atticus Finch wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:29 am Magic number is 290 which is 2/3 of 535.
Technically.... 434 (1 vacant seat).
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 10:06 am Walls close in on George Santos amid mounting political, legal drama

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4316 ... ge-santos/
The embattled New York Republican is coming off a bruising week that began with his second former aide taking a plea deal, continued with the release of a damning Ethics report and ended with the introduction of another expulsion resolution that could end his career in Congress.

But the Santos storm is likely to worsen: The congressman is staring down a third potential vote on his ouster, which appears more and more likely to succeed as a growing number of lawmakers initially apprehensive toward expulsion say they will vote to remove him from office.

At least 12 Republicans who did not vote to remove Santos earlier this month say they now support expulsion, citing the 56-page Ethics report, which cited “substantial evidence” that the first-term lawmaker “violated federal criminal laws.”

“After today’s release of the report from the Ethics Committee, it is clear that George Santos is unfit to serve and should be removed from office. George has betrayed the trust of his constituents who deserve honesty and transparency from their elected official,” Rep. Stephanie Bice (R-Okla.), who previously voted against expulsion, wrote on X, formerly known as Twitter.

Rep. Andrew Garbarino (R-N.Y.), a member of the Ethics Committee who did not cast any vote on the Santos expulsion referendum earlier this month, said he will vote to remove Santos from office.

“He is undeserving of public office,” Garbarino, who represents a district that neighbors Santos’s, said in a statement. “Now that the Ethics Committee has completed its investigation and issued its report outlining his reprehensible actions, I will support the expulsion of Congressman George Santos from the House of Representatives.”

A handful of Democrats who voted against ousting Santos earlier this month — including Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-Md.), who opposed the effort over concerns of setting a dangerous precedent — also threw their support behind expulsion in the wake of the Ethics report, taking a stance against the embattled lawmaker after reviewing the panel’s work.

Those newfound expulsion backers join the 179 lawmakers — 24 Republicans, 155 Democrats — who voted to oust Santos on Nov. 1, bringing the congressman’s sharpest critics that much closer to the required two-thirds margin to boot him from office.
Still a long way to go to get to 2/3rds.
So, Santos *may* be a no-go, but at 91 charges, Trump is still A-OK! Spare me!
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/penny-stock-george
Penny Stock George
By Josh Marshall

It may not get a lot of attention. In a way it doesn’t matter since I don’t think anyone cares that George Santos going to do serious time in prison. But in addition to the mistake he made not resigning soon after the original New York Times report last December, he made another big mistake staying in office until this week’s House Ethics report was released.

Resignation from office is always a big chit in plea negotiations. There are both good public policy reasons for this (corrupt pols should be removed from office) and it appeals to prosecutors’ inherent desire for a ‘win’. Regardless of the motivation, it’s something a politician can agree to give up and get something in return.

Now it’s too late – even if in theory Santos cut a deal today ahead of getting expelled. It’s like he held on to a hot shot stock portfolio until it dropped down to penny stock levels. It’s now extremely likely he’ll be expelled from office at the end of this month. Prosecutors know that. Resigning in the face of near certain expulsion isn’t worth anything.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

For comparison:

Remember Case Anthony? Tot Mom? Acquitted of murdering her sweet daughter?

She led the life of a fabulist for months/years, including the months between the murder of her daughter and the announcement that the child was missing*. She pretended she worked as an event planner for Disney, if I recall. She went off to work* and came home from work* and talked about work*, when in reality she was bumming around, enjoying herself.

Anyway, after the police became involved, they asked her y'know, questions, among which was "where do you work?" She kept up the Disney lie. Perhaps she thought they wouldn't check it out, but check it out they did. In due course they confronted her with the detail that Disney had never heard of her. She continued to fabulize (TM), insisting that they had the wrong department, and that her contract was actually with bla bla bla.

Eventually the police said, "Take us to where you work." So she got in the car with them, drove to Disney, parked the car, walked into the building, walked up the stairs, and walked down a corridor.

At the end of the corridor, Casey turned around with a smile and said, "Okay, you got me."
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

"Take the high ground" :lol:
George Santos @MrSantosNY wrote: I want to see Every single Democrat and Republican from the Top down return all the stolen FTX money to the victims fund!

I received approximately 25k+ in donations from FTX tied donors and I will be doing the restitution from my campaign funds to the fund as soon as it made available.

I can name a long list of colleagues of mine who only hold the seat they have because of these stolen funds.

Restitution and resignation so you can run a fair race in your primaries and general elections. Have at it, be the better and bigger person. Take the high ground.
https://x.com/MrSantosNY/status/1725909 ... 72734?s=20
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Sure he will.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
bob

Post by bob »

p0rtia wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 6:56 am I was musing recently about what was going on in the minds of such staffers as were staying on in the Santos sty. Hoping to get credit for loyalty? Hoping to extend the grift another week? Convinced that it was their duty to complete a job they had signed up for (the ladies will fall for this one--if there are any women in his office).
Networking for a lateral move to another member's office, or a committee assignment.

p0rtia wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:47 am
Volkonski wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 11:02 am
Technically.... 434 (1 vacant seat).
Correct; the expulsion number is still 290.
Image ImageImage
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I would like to offer a new function - The Santos. Just type the brackets [santos], write some utter bullshit, and then close the brackets [/santos]. Then everyone will know for sure it's not true. There will be no confusion.
raison de arizona

Report is brutal: https://ethics.house.gov/sites/ethics.h ... ort_53.pdf
Representative Santos sought to fraudulently exploit every aspect of
his House candidacy for his own personal financial profit.
He blatantly stole from his campaign.
He deceived donors into providing what they thought were
contributions to his campaign but were in fact payments for his
personal benefit.
He reported fictitious loans to his political committees to induce
donors and party committees to make further contributions to his
campaign – and then diverted more campaign money to himself as
purported “repayments” of those fictitious loans.
He used his connections to high value donors and other political
campaigns to obtain additional funds for himself through fraudulent
or otherwise questionable business dealings.
And he sustained all of this through a constant series of lies to his
constituents, donors, and staff about his background and
experience.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

:lol:
Ron Filipkowski @RonFilipkowski wrote: George Santos yesterday at the southern border. Trying to find out if he was caught trying to flee. 😁
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Possibly was. Better take him into custody pending trial. ;)
raison de arizona

Volkonski wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:16 pm Possibly was. Better take him into custody pending trial. ;)
Incidentally, was his travel restriction rescinded? Last I heard, he was restricted to DC, NYC, and LI. That's it. Not making a run for the border unless it is Taco Bell.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

George Santos says he'll treat expulsion as a 'badge of honor' as he claims his colleagues are drunkenly having sex with lobbyists 'every night'

Bryan Metzger
Sat, November 25, 2023 at 5:09 PM GMT+1·3 min read

Rep. George Santos went on an extended tirade against his colleagues on Friday evening.

Santos says he expects to be expelled this week and will wear it "like a badge of honor."

He also called the Ethics Committee chairman a "pussy" and made wild claims about his colleagues.

Days before his likely expulsion from the House of Representatives, Rep. George Santos of New York went on his most unhinged tirade yet.

In an X Space hosted by conservative media personality Monica Matthews on Friday evening, the scandal-plagued Republican said he expects to be expelled when the House votes on the matter, which is likely to happen this coming week.

But he said he's not sweating it.

"I don't care. You want to expel me? I'll wear it like a badge of honor," Santos said. "I'll be the sixth expelled member of Congress in the history of Congress. And guess what? I'll be the only one expelled without a conviction."

That was just one part of Santos's lengthy and angry diatribe against his colleagues, during which the indicted congressman made a series of statements and claims that are unlikely to endear him to any colleagues who may still remain on the fence about expelling him.

At one point, he mocked the Republican chairman of the House Ethics Committee — Rep. Michael Guest of Mississippi — in the wake of that committee's damning report about his conduct.

"It ain't gonna be the dude from Mississippi that's gonna kick me, a New Yorker, out of Congress," Santos said. "No offense to people from Mississippi, but making that very, very clear, it's going to take a lot more than that."

He also said Guest needs to "stop being a pussy" and call up the expulsion resolution when Congress returns this week.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/george-santo ... 46910.html
(original: Insider)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Santos must figure he has nothing left to lose. :roll:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Guess he needs to get it out of his system before, you know, he goes to prison for a looooong time.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

California Democrat moves to force vote on expelling Santos after Ethics report

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4331 ... press.coop
Rep. Robert Garcia (D-Calif.) on Tuesday moved to force a vote on expelling Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.), teeing up a third and potentially historic vote on the embattled lawmaker’s ouster.

Garcia called his resolution to expel Santos to the floor as a privileged measure Tuesday afternoon, a procedural gambit that forces the chamber to take action on the resolution within two legislative days — meaning a vote must take place this week. Rep. Dan Goldman (D-N.Y.), another top Santos critic, sat next to Garcia on the House floor when he moved to force a vote on the measure.

The latest expulsion push comes after the House Ethics Committee released its long-awaited report on Santos, which found “substantial evidence of potential violations of federal criminal law.” The panel determined that Santos used campaign funds for trips to Atlantic City and Las Vegas, on Botox and other cosmetic procedures, at the luxury brand Hermés, and for purchases from OnlyFans, a subscription platform that is largely used for adult content.

Santos has already survived two expulsion efforts this year: earlier this month, the House voted 179-213-19 to oust Santos, far short of the two-thirds majority needed, and in May, the chamber voted to refer a Santos expulsion resolution to the Ethics Committee, a move that was largely panned as redundant because the committee had been investigating Santos for months.

House leadership could bring the latest resolution to the floor for a vote — which would require a two-thirds majority to be successful — or lawmakers can motion to table or refer the resolution to committee, both of which would need a majority vote.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Group flies 15-foot George Santos balloon to call for his expulsion

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4331 ... press.coop

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Figures Comcast would have an outage right when this morning's news conference was underway :/

Sounds like he's being bullied by the bullies :violin:

Return to “Current Politics”