Music Free-for-all

John Thomas8

Music Free-for-all

Post by John Thomas8 »

bill_g wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:36 am
John Thomas8 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:16 pm https: //youtu.be/Xix9QlK-NCU
These were all good choices JT8. Thanks!
The things that show up in my YT feed, not stuff I normally seek out but they're really neat, to me.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Music Free-for-all

Post by bill_g »

John Thomas8 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:36 am
bill_g wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:36 am
John Thomas8 wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:16 pm https: //youtu.be/Xix9QlK-NCU
These were all good choices JT8. Thanks!
The things that show up in my YT feed, not stuff I normally seek out but they're really neat, to me.
The YT AlGores are like that.
Whatever4

Music Free-for-all

Post by Whatever4 »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:25 am
I've probably mentioned this before (sorry if I'm repeating myself), but that was the music Mr. Gray and I used for the "Wedding March" at our wedding. The church lights were dim, most of the light was from candles, and my bridesmaids and I each carried a candle down the aisle.

It was one of the few deviations from a "traditional" wedding our Moms didn't freak out too much over :)
W2 and I used the Promenade from Pictures at an Exhibition, a lovely majestic tune that cynically reflected how I was feeling at the time. (Formal wedding was because family wanted it and I didn’t really care. I wanted to BE married not GET married. Was wonderful though.)

Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Whatever4 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:54 am W2 and I used the Promenade from Pictures at an Exhibition, a lovely majestic tune that cynically reflected how I was feeling at the time. (Formal wedding was because family wanted it and I didn’t really care. I wanted to BE married not GET married. Was wonderful though.)
That really is gorgeous!
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Music Free-for-all

Post by northland10 »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:46 pm
Whatever4 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:54 am W2 and I used the Promenade from Pictures at an Exhibition, a lovely majestic tune that cynically reflected how I was feeling at the time. (Formal wedding was because family wanted it and I didn’t really care. I wanted to BE married not GET married. Was wonderful though.)
That really is gorgeous!
My elementary music class would do a lesson on Pictures when I was growing up. We would draw what we thought the pictures might look like based on the music and she explained how the various promenades were the walking music for painting to painting. It is quintessential "program music."

I was very happy when we got to play parts of it when I was at music camp in high school (one week only of rehearsal for each concert and limited time for each ensemble in the weekly concert prevented us from being able to play the full work but we got all the fun movements).
101010 :towel:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Music Free-for-all

Post by northland10 »

And continuing the theme of program music here is the last movement of Ottorino Respighi's Pines of Rome, Pines of the Appian Way.

Yes, those are birds you hear at the beginning. The third movement ends with the singing birds, leading to the last movement with no break.

I love this piece.

101010 :towel:
Whatever4

Music Free-for-all

Post by Whatever4 »

Chilling. Heartbreaking.

Cover of Zombie by the Cranberries, but by a Palestinian.

Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Suranis

Music Free-for-all

Post by Suranis »

As a person who grew up and lives less than 15 miles from where O'Riorden lived, I have to say that I utterly DESPISE that song.

When She died I was doing my radio music show, and I got a text about why I didn't play any of their shit, and I came straight out and said I was not going to be a hypocrite and say they were great when I thought they were the worst thing to come out of Limerick. Then I said it wasn't my choice, so I put on Zombie, and what followed was a 3 minute rant about how dreadful that goddam song was when piped through a radio stations sound system. I was actually cringing. Goddam that ground my gears. I did say the bass playing was pretty decent though, but that's it.

I just don't get it. The put the Cranberries over some pictures of Irish stuff as part of a Tourist Advertising campaign once, and all I could see were shots of beautiful Irish stuff with sounds of a Woman screaming in agony in the background. She literally sounded like a woman getting tortured combined with a scummy thick Limerick City accent. No exceptions.

End of rant.
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g

Music Free-for-all

Post by bill_g »

Interesting. I've never heard anyone express that much dislike for a song, much less that song. I like it myself, but know nothing about Irish politics except what gets told about The Troubles across The Pond. So, thank you for that. Good perspective.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by Shizzle Popped »

"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I'm not a huge fan of Miley's music with the possible exception of her latest album, but this woman has an incredibly versatile and talented voice. She actually does a credible version of Zombie but I figured that would piss off Suranis. :biggrin:
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by Shizzle Popped »

John Adams
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Music Free-for-all

Post by keith »

Whatever4 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 9:02 pm Chilling. Heartbreaking.

Cover of Zombie by the Cranberries, but by a Palestinian.

https: //www.tiktok.com/@habzmusic/video/7294799902171729194
I'm on record for HATING that gawd awful electronic warble sound.

I'm pretty sure its produced by an autotuner, but the result doesn't have anything to do with tune. It is totally unlistenable no matter what the intent is or the worthiness of the lyric.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls Would scarcely get your feet wet
Suranis

Music Free-for-all

Post by Suranis »

bill_g wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:49 pm Interesting. I've never heard anyone express that much dislike for a song, much less that song. I like it myself, but know nothing about Irish politics except what gets told about The Troubles across The Pond. So, thank you for that. Good perspective.
Its got nothing to do with Irish politics, the whole sound of her voice screaming sets my teeth on edge. And its not just that song, their whole repertoire is dreadful. I cannot listen to it at all without wanting to get away from the pain. And ya, I'm sure it's partially to do with the autotune they used. Also, I intensely disliked them as people.
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g

Music Free-for-all

Post by bill_g »

Suranis wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:22 pm
Its got nothing to do with Irish politics, the whole sound of her voice screaming sets my teeth on edge. And its not just that song, their whole repertoire is dreadful. I cannot listen to it at all without wanting to get away from the pain. And ya, I'm sure it's partially to do with the autotune they used. Also, I intensely disliked them as people.
Ha! I have to chuckle at your frankness. "They blow and I hate 'em" will be the tee shirt version of your rant. Leave the band name off, and then it becomes a shirt for all seasons.

I don't know if autotune was available when The Crans recorded Zombie. Maybe. I don't sense it in the original. It's quite apparent in the Palestinian TikTok video. I'm generally not a fan of autotune either. That said, there are probably countless songs that I love that used it as intended to make subtle corrections, and not impossible voice extensions.
Suranis

Music Free-for-all

Post by Suranis »

bill_g wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 9:43 am I don't know if autotune was available when The Crans recorded Zombie.
Autotune itself was invented in 1997, but people have been altering and modulating voices in recordings manually for a long, long time. The Stock, Aitken and Waterman Songwriting and Production trio in the 80s and 90s were famous for modulating songs in the acts they put out. I once saw one of them defending himself for doing it, saying that it wouldn't work if the person couldn't sing in the first place it would not work.

Either way The Cranberrys were never on my Christmas list. Her voice made my ears want to leave the room. There is an effect where the more people hear a song the better it sounds to them, and I'm convinced that the Music sphere was just so saturated with them when they kicked off that people just stopped noticing that they were freaking awful.
Hic sunt dracones
Resume18

Music Free-for-all

Post by Resume18 »

Autotune is de debil. And I don't believe in de debil.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Volkonski
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by Volkonski »

In his autobiography Erich Leinsdorf, who spent much of his career as conductor of the Boston Symphony and the NY Metropolitan Opera in the 1940s, 50s and 60s, told the story of recording engineers who told him in the 60s that in addition to all their other editing techniques they used to adjust a tape recording with problems they could fix a single out of tune note. Leinsdorf dubbed them wizards. ;)

While I was in college in the early 1970s. a visiting professor, who had been part of the team that studied the infamous Nixon 18 1/2 minute gap, demonstrated how he could, in predigital recording days, remove the instrumental accompaniment from Caruso records. He could also remove the sound of record scratches. We in the audience were amazed. :o
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Uninformed

Music Free-for-all

Post by Uninformed »

And the original:

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Suranis

Music Free-for-all

Post by Suranis »

Kate Bush live in 2014, from various peoples phone cam recordings edited together.

Hic sunt dracones
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Music Free-for-all

Post by neonzx »

Imma assuming this was put together during covid (seen many things like this from then) Collaborate remotely and then pull it down in a polished prouction. Not entirely sure about the namethough -- Kelly and the Ding Dongs? :lol:

sad-cafe

Music Free-for-all

Post by sad-cafe »

Been super into Hamilton.

We watch it ALL 8th grade SS classes. WE actually get the entire auditorium so kids get the full treatment.

Now I can't get it out of my head!
sad-cafe

Music Free-for-all

Post by sad-cafe »

I chose to post this one because of the emotion in the room. The cast are crying because Obama is leaving and also because the cast was splitting after such a great run.

"History has it's eyes on you" Camera pans to Biden!!!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Music Free-for-all

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Music Free-for-all

Post by RTH10260 »

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”