Falsehoods unchallenged only fester and grow.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:15 pm 

Location: FEMA Camp Pontchartrain, Tchefuncte River Lighthouse Annex
Quote:
Apr 7, 8:50 PM EDT

Hawaii appeals court rejects 'birther' appeal

By AUDREY McAVOY
Associated Press

HONOLULU (AP) -- A Hawaii appeals court has rejected a man's request to "inspect and copy" Honolulu-born President Barack Obama's birth certificate, saying the plaintiff failed to state a valid claim to having access to the document.

Chief Judge Craig Nakamura wrote in an opinion issued Thursday that Robert V. Justice didn't show there were "compelling circumstances" requiring the state Department of Health to show him the birth certificate. Two associate justices of the Hawaii Intermediate Court of Appeals concurred, one in a separate opinion.

Hawaii's privacy laws bar the release of birth records unless the requester is someone with a tangible interest, such as a close family member.

More at the link

Butterbunns is not happy. She thinks a Nebraska housewife has a better grasp of Hawaii law than the state appellate court judges. "The standard for disclosure in Hawaii is a “scintilla of interest”. If there is a “scintilla” of public interest in disclosure it outweighs privacy concerns."

"He is an enemy combatant, and I don't understand why the military hasn't labeled him an enemy combatant and ordered a drone hit on him." - Blogger "butterdezillion" referring to the President of the United States, June 27, 2014

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:21 pm 

From the article BB linked.

Quote:
Justice, who represented himself before the court, said "the health and safety of every American" was at stake in this case because Obama, as president, is responsible for ensuring national security and "the health and safety of the 300 million Americans living on American soil."

But Nakamura wrote the exception exists to allow people access to vital records in medical or safety emergencies.

He noted the federal Privacy Act has a similar provision. He cited a 1974 U.S. Senate committee report on the law saying the exception exists to protect a government employee or agency from violating the law when they have to release personal information about someone to save the person's life. A separate U.S. House committee report from the same year said an airline crash or an epidemic would be examples of valid emergency situations in which an exception would apply.

Nakamura said Justice's desire to verify Obama's eligibility for president doesn't meet this standard. He added Justice failed to "allege any basis for questioning that President Obama is a natural born citizen and that he is eligible to serve as president."

=D> =D> =D>

Image x 4 Image x 34

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:22 pm 

Location: FEMA Camp 17 -- Malibu (Hey! You! Get off the lawn!)
Sounds like the case Leo Donofrio threatened to bring for a year. And when the attention dried up, he ran off.

Realist lives to serve. Foggy does it for the children. I'm in it for the schadenfreude.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:24 pm 

This board requires you to be registered and logged-in before you can view hidden messages

ASSUME ANYTHING WRITTEN HERE WILL END UP ON TAITZ'S SITE AND FACEBOOK. AND JEROME CORSI WILL POST SCREENSHOTS TO WND. AND WILL BE FILED BY A BIRTHER AS AN EXHIBIT IN FEDERAL COURT. NOW HAVE FUN!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:26 pm 

Robert V. Justice? Fer real?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:29 pm 

Quote:
Butterbunns is not happy. She thinks a Nebraska housewife has a better grasp of Hawaii law than the state appellate court judges. "The standard for disclosure in Hawaii is a “scintilla of interest”. If there is a “scintilla” of public interest in disclosure it outweighs privacy concerns."

=)) =))

I'm sure butterbutt cited her authority for the standard being a "scintilla." :roll:

Image x 4 Image x 34

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:32 pm 

Location: FEMA Camp 17 -- Malibu (Hey! You! Get off the lawn!)
realist wrote:
Quote:

=)) =))

I'm sure butterbutt cited her authority for the standard being a "scintilla." :roll:

It appears to be 3 bloggers at the newspaper blog toilet Post & Email: http://www.thepostemail.com/2010/04/10/ ... s-records/

There is a lot of April 2010 blather there, so to cut to the chase ALT F "scintilla" and you will see how precedent is made in Birfoonistan. Since 3 bloggers mentioned the phrase -- it's LAW!

Realist lives to serve. Foggy does it for the children. I'm in it for the schadenfreude.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:33 pm 

Isn't that the case Andy Martin threatened to file too?

"The ultimate authority on the validity of a government issued document is the government that issued it." - Foggy, January 29, 2014

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:06 am 

Nellie is, of course, wrong. She misunderstands law. But what else is new?

Quote:
1. Personal Privacy Exception. An agency should not allow public inspection or duplication of a personnel record which, if disclosed, would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy. Haw. Rev. Stat. § 92F-13(1) (1993).

2. Balancing Test. To determine whether disclosure would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy, the UIPA’s balancing test must be applied: if the public interest in disclosure outweighs any privacy interests in a government record, disclosure would not constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy. Haw. Rev. Stat. § 92F-14(a) (Supp. 2000).

3. How to Apply the Balancing Test.

a) If an individual’s privacy interest in a personnel record is significant (see examples in F.4. below), it is weighed against the public interest in disclosure:

1) If the privacy interest outweighs the public interest, the information is confidential; and

2) If the public interest outweighs the privacy interest, the information is public.

b) When balancing the privacy rights of an individual against the public interest in disclosure, the public interest to be considered is that which sheds light upon the workings of government. OIP Op. Ltr. No. 93-20 at 7 (Dec. 30, 1993). The OIP reached this conclusion by looking at:

[t]wo basic policies served by the UIPA, which are to “[p]romote the public interest in disclosure” and to “[e]nhance governmental accountability through a general policy of access to government records.” Haw. Rev. Stat. § 92F-2 [1993]. Further, in enacting the UIPA, the Legislature declared that “it is the policy of this State that the formation and conduct of public policy--the discussions,

c) If an individual’s privacy interest is not significant,then a “scintilla” of public interest will require the disclosure of the personnel record. S. Conf. Comm. Rep. No. 235, 14th Leg., 1988 Reg. Sess., Haw. S.J. 689, 690 (1988); H. Conf. Comm. Rep. No. 112-88, Haw. H.J. 817, 818 (1988).

"He is an enemy combatant, and I don't understand why the military hasn't labeled him an enemy combatant and ordered a drone hit on him." - Blogger "butterdezillion" referring to the President of the United States, June 27, 2014

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:12 am 

Continued ...

Quote:
4. Significant Privacy Interest; Examples. An individual has a significant privacy interest in the following information or records ... :

c) Birthdate. See OIP Op. Ltr. No. 90-7 (Feb. 9, 1990).

d) Social security number. See OIP Op. Ltr. No. 90-7 (Feb. 9, 1990).

e) Information relating to medical, psychiatric, or psychological history, diagnosis, condition, treatment, or evaluation (other than directory information while an individual is present at a government facility). Haw. Rev. Stat. § 92F-14(b)(1) (Supp. 2000).

Hawaii's Legislature has determined that an individual has a significant privacy interest in his/her vital records -- including the birth certificate -- that outweighs nearly every conceivable interest that unrelated persons might have, in H.R.S. §338-18.

The above analysis is provided in guidelines for disclosure of personnel records, but the OIP opinions and statutes cited therein have general application. Texas, whose statute also is modeled on the FOIA, has come to the same conclusion that privacy interests outweigh the public's interest when it comes to nondisclosure of birth dates, SSNs, and similar information. See Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts v. Attorney General of Texas and the Dallas Morning News, Ltd..

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:48 am 

No cite available yet per Westlaw. But say, is the below case one we're already aware of?

Supreme Court of Hawai‘i. CONSTITUTION PARTY; Alan L. Keyes, Plaintiffs, v. Linda LINGLE in her official capacity as Governor of the State of Hawai‘i; Kevin B. Cronin in his official capa-city as the Chief Election Officer for the State of Hawai‘i; John Does 1-50; Jane Does 1-50; Doe Partnerships 1-50; Doe Corporations 1-50; and Doe Entities 1-50, Defendants.

No. 29473. Dec. 5, 2008.

Original Proceeding.

MOON, C.J., LEVINSON, NAKAYAMA, ACOBA and DUFFY, JJ.

ORDER OF DISMISSAL *1 Upon consideration of the Complaint to Contest the 2008 Presidential Election submitted by Plaintiffs Constitution Party and Alan L. Keyes, the Motion to Dismiss submitted by Defendants Governor Linda L. Lingle and Chief Election Officer Kevin B. Cronin, it appears the Plaintiffs style the complaint as an election contest brought pursuant to Hawai‘i Revised Statutes §§ 11-172 and 11-174.5, but allege, in pertinent part, that Defendant Cronin failed to require proof that candidate Barack Obama was qualified to be a candidate for Pres-ident of the United States. Any challenge to the Chief Election Officer's finding of eligibility of a presidential candidate in the State of Hawai‘i must be pursued in accordance with HRS § 11-113(e), not sections 11-172 and 11-174.5. Therefore,

IT IS HEREBY ORDERED that the Defendants' Motion to Dismiss is granted and this case is dismissed.

Hawai‘i,2008. Constitution Party v. Lingle Not Reported in P.3d, 2008 WL 5125984 (Hawai'i)

"What part of 'second' don't you understand?" -Judge Morrison England

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:02 am 

Did we know about this one:

Quote:
Appeals court rebuffs man seeking Obama birth certificate

By Star-Advertiser staff

POSTED: 11:02 a.m. HST, Apr 07, 2011

The state appeals court affirmed this morning the denial of a request to inspect and review President Barack Obama's birth certificate.

In a 3-0 vote, the Hawaii Intermediate Court of Appeals upheld a 2009 ruling by then-state Circuit Judge Eden Elizabeth Hifo, who dismissed the lawsuit by a man identified as "Dr. Robert V. Justice," who represented himself. He listed a Beverly Hills, Calif., address on his court papers.

In his legal brief to the appeals court, Justice wrote the inspection of the birth certificate will "ensure the health and safety of all 300 million of us by making sure that our military and our nuclear and chemical arsenals are still under our control and not in the control of any one of our enemies."

The appeals court said Justice sought the review under the state open-records law requiring the disclosure of documents based on a showing of "compelling circumstances affecting the health or safety of any individual."

http://www.scribd.com/doc/52517375/Just ... Apr-7-2011

― Donald Trump

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:04 am 

Yes. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=5701

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:00 am 

Don't jump on me; I'm just playing devil's advocate here...

I saw a comment on another board theorizing that the President has waived the privacy interest in his birth records by publishing them. Since he waived (the argument goes) there is nothing to balance against the "scintilla" of public interest in obtaining them.

Do we know if this argument has been made (and rejected) in Hawaii? I would think that there would be a couple of grounds to reject the argument. 1) Finding that the privacy interests of living persons cannot be waived, 2) finding that the waiver was limited only to the information on the COLB, allowing the state to confirm (yet again) the COLB information, etc.

Anything out there yet on this issue?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:03 am 

Butterfly Bilderberg wrote:
Quote:
Apr 7, 8:50 PM EDT

Hawaii appeals court rejects 'birther' appeal

By AUDREY McAVOY
Associated Press

HONOLULU (AP) -- A Hawaii appeals court has rejected a man's request to "inspect and copy" Honolulu-born President Barack Obama's birth certificate, saying the plaintiff failed to state a valid claim to having access to the document.

Chief Judge Craig Nakamura wrote in an opinion issued Thursday that Robert V. Justice didn't show there were "compelling circumstances" requiring the state Department of Health to show him the birth certificate. Two associate justices of the Hawaii Intermediate Court of Appeals concurred, one in a separate opinion.

Hawaii's privacy laws bar the release of birth records unless the requester is someone with a tangible interest, such as a close family member.

More at the link

Someone should tell Trump so he doesn't need to waster any more money on his Hawaiian investigators.

PS - Especially pretty butterly BB!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:24 pm 

TexasFilly wrote:

I am thoroughly confused.

Whose question were you answering, Filly? Your link is a circular one, so I can't figure out if you were mocking my confusion or not. :D

I had not before seen the Justice v. Fuddy appellate opinion either.

Edit: Westlaw still has no citations. I hate that company. WTF are they paid thousands of dollars for if not to update their database upon publication of new opinions?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:07 pm 

raicha wrote:

I saw a comment on another board theorizing that the President has waived the privacy interest in his birth records by publishing them. Since he waived (the argument goes) there is nothing to balance against the "scintilla" of public interest in obtaining them.

Do we know if this argument has been made (and rejected) in Hawaii? I would think that there would be a couple of grounds to reject the argument. 1) Finding that the privacy interests of living persons cannot be waived, 2) finding that the waiver was limited only to the information on the COLB, allowing the state to confirm (yet again) the COLB information, etc.

The explanation in Justice v. Fuddy [reporter citation unavailable because Westlaw sucks donkey balls] of the statutory scheme that renders vital records confidential is a pretty good one as to why this argument is meritless. The privacy interest isn't being enforced by Barack Obama. The controlling statute, HRS § 338-18, requires the DOH as a matter of Hawaii law to refuse to provide records to anyone who does not have a "direct and tangible interest" in the specific vital records maintained by the DOH. Those who fail to make a showing of a direct and tangible interest are simply not entitled to see the records. "Waiver" is not contemplated in any portion of the statute, because the person whose records are requested is not the owner of the records. The DOH is. There was nothing for Obama to waive. Once he personally obtained his birth certificate, he was free to do whatever he wants with it, including showing it to the media and sticking it online. That's true for all of us.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:13 pm 

There seems to be a Robert V. Justice, a dentist, in the LA area. I cannot find anything interesting on him.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:14 pm 

poutine wrote:
TexasFilly wrote:

I am thoroughly confused.

Whose question were you answering, Filly? Your link is a circular one, so I can't figure out if you were mocking my confusion or not. :D

She was answering me. It looks circular because the threads were merged.

― Donald Trump

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:58 pm 

Justice v Fuddy, No 30176 (HAWICA Apr 7 2011)

http://www.scribd.com/doc/52517375/Just ... Apr-7-2011

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:19 pm 

poutine wrote:
No cite available yet per Westlaw. But say, is the below case one we're already aware of?

Supreme Court of Hawai‘i. CONSTITUTION PARTY; Alan L. Keyes, Plaintiffs, v. Linda LINGLE in her official capacity as Governor of the State of Hawai‘i

On the Birther Score Card, yes (page 5).

Justice v. Fuddy* is also on Hawaii's court's site. (Odd that it still isn't on Westlaw.)

* Fuddy is current director of the Hawaii Department of Health, says the court.

ASSUME ANYTHING WRITTEN HERE WILL END UP ON TAITZ'S SITE AND FACEBOOK. AND JEROME CORSI WILL POST SCREENSHOTS TO WND. AND WILL BE FILED BY A BIRTHER AS AN EXHIBIT IN FEDERAL COURT. NOW HAVE FUN!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:34 pm 

Justice v. Fuddy wrote:
Plaintiff's reason for seeking disclosure of President Obama's birth records does not state an "overpowering" or urgent need for the records to save the life or protect the safety of an individual in a medical or safety emergency. Under the United States Constitution, the power to remove a sitting President resides in Congress. [highlight]Barnett v. Obama[/highlight], No. 09-0082, 2009 WL 3861788, at *15-*16 (C.D. Cal. Oct. 29, 2009). Plaintiff's asserted need to inspect President Obama's birth records is diminished by the fact that Plaintiff does not have the power or authority to determine President Obama's eligibility to serve as President. Moreover, Plaintiff's complaint did not allege any basis for questioning that President Obama is a natural born citizen and that he is eligible to serve as President. Under these circumstances, we conclude that Plaintiff failed to state a claim for relief based on HRS [secs.] 92F-12(b)(3).

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:52 pm 

bob wrote:
Justice v. Fuddy wrote:
Plaintiff's reason for seeking disclosure of President Obama's birth records does not state an "overpowering" or urgent need for the records to save the life or protect the safety of an individual in a medical or safety emergency. Under the United States Constitution, the power to remove a sitting President resides in Congress. Barnett v. Obama, No. 09-0082, 2009 WL 3861788, at *15-*16 (C.D. Cal. Oct. 29, 2009). Plaintiff's asserted need to inspect President Obama's birth records is diminished by the fact that Plaintiff does not have the power or authority to determine President Obama's eligibility to serve as President. Moreover, [highlight]Plaintiff's complaint did not allege any basis for questioning that President Obama is a natural born citizen and that he is eligible to serve as President.[/highlight] Under these circumstances, we conclude that Plaintiff failed to state a claim for relief based on HRS [secs.] 92F-12(b)(3).

This dicta is another clear message by an appellate court in America that rejects the birther argument on its merits. Hawaii has joined Indiana.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:23 am 

raicha wrote:

I can think of numerous arguments that support what you say, but I have literally not merely zero interest but negative interest in actually articulating them. I think the birfers should have to cough up money to pursue any BS arguments they have, and that we shouldn't give them for free. This Hawaii BS is an area where they should have to spend lots of money to discover that they're completely wrong. Why give them freebies?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:06 pm 

Occupation: Cat petter, RN with license voluntarily inactive, just like Michelle Obama's law license.
raicha wrote:
the President has waived the privacy interest in his birth records by publishing them

He did not publish his birth records.

He published the very limited info listed on the COLB.