Music Free-for-all

pipistrelle

Music Free-for-all

Post by pipistrelle »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:06 pm
qbawl wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:01 pm In the "When Pigs Fly" Competition: A new Rolling Stones release with their rookie bass player Paul Mc . . . something.
That was so bad I actually googled to make sure it was real and not some kind of AI or other sound-"alike" technique. Yikes, it's real! It's just mesmerisingly awful.

Though, if you're a punk fan, you'll likely love it. :)
Doesn’t remind me of punk. More of Tattoo You, which was shall we say a disappointment.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by Kriselda Gray »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:38 am
Kriselda Gray wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:06 pm
qbawl wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:01 pm In the "When Pigs Fly" Competition: A new Rolling Stones release with their rookie bass player Paul Mc . . . something.
That was so bad I actually googled to make sure it was real and not some kind of AI or other sound-"alike" technique. Yikes, it's real! It's just mesmerisingly awful.

Though, if you're a punk fan, you'll likely love it. :)
Doesn’t remind me of punk. More of Tattoo You, which was shall we say a disappointment.
Fair enough :) I'm not exactly a connoisseur of the Rolling Stones :mrgreen: or punk, for that matter...
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Music Free-for-all

Post by bill_g »

Forgot to say that The Shins are a Portland band by way of New Mexico. They moved up here for some gigs and stayed. The Past and Pending video has iconic images of Portland including the St. Johns Bridge. That bridge is slightly off screen in the upper left hand corner of my avatar. The bridge crosses the Willamette just before the confluence with the Columbia.
bill_g wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:54 am It's the twenty year anniversary of The Shins - The Past and Pending. Part Beach Boys, part Simon and Garfunkle, they harmonize well on lyrics that reach deep into your soul. Enjoy.

Here is my avatar made from a coverage model plot over a specific area - The Pearl. The colors represent transmitter sites with the strongest signal in that area. It also demostrates how terrain complicates coverage. Also too plus it makes for a pretty picture. YMMV
Attachments
27avi_Trimet Pearl coverage.jpg
27avi_Trimet Pearl coverage.jpg (11.85 KiB) Viewed 3515 times
qbawl

Music Free-for-all

Post by qbawl »

Phoenix520
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by Phoenix520 »

My boi Ren has been duking it out with Rick Astley, of all people, for UK Top of the Charts with his new album Sick Boi. This was his goal #1 in Britain; he’s #3 here, all without the backing of a label.

He did it! The announcement video is sweet - young men jumping around, hugging, crying happy tears, and yelling Fuck a lot. Good job Ren!

This is my favorite track on the new album. The intro is in Gaelic.

My second favorite
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Music Free-for-all

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Music Free-for-all

Post by RVInit »

I have been listening to Ren and following him since you posted one of his songs not too terribly long ago! I love this guy and his music. I was so happy when I saw the announcement that he got #1. He's amazing.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
John Thomas8

Music Free-for-all

Post by John Thomas8 »

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Music Free-for-all

Post by keith »

I have loved Almeida forever. The first jazz record I ever bought was Stan Getz and Laurindo Almeida. I can just about every piece note for note.

His work here with the MJQ is top-notch.
If they tell you I fell off the bed and hung myself, I didn't.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Music Free-for-all

Post by keith »

If they tell you I fell off the bed and hung myself, I didn't.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Any mention of Stan Getz naturally leads to The Girl from Ipanema.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Music Free-for-all

Post by Foggy »

Astrud Gilberto, the singer on Girl From Ipanema, was the wife of the guitar player. Apparently, she was the only woman in the studio when they recorded the song who could sing in English, so they asked her to sing. But it wasn't pre-planned.

'Course, she instantly became world famous, and Girl From Ipanema was recorded by every band of the era, and she had this huge amount of fame 'thrust upon her'. That must have been an overwhelming experience. :think:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
bill_g

Music Free-for-all

Post by bill_g »

Bossa Nova Day! What a great way to get past Monday Blues. I'll offer up my boy crush Elise Regina Rains of March.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Music Free-for-all

This is dedicated to N10.

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Music Free-for-all

Post by northland10 »

I knew Heart and Soul would be the top. I have banned that from choir rooms in the past.

As for that stupid Canon in D crap.

I really really dislike that piece.
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Music Free-for-all

:rotflmao:
bill_g

Music Free-for-all

Post by bill_g »

The Pachelbel rant was brilliant. Thank you!
bill_g

Music Free-for-all

Post by bill_g »

Contrast overplayed to underplayed. Teka and New Bossa playing a very cool version of Autumn Leaves. Pour some wine and stare at the dusk.

bill_g

Music Free-for-all

Post by bill_g »

I love YouTube. You get one song, and they offer up something that I hadn't heard in a long time from two beautiful women. Damn, they can sing. Mercedes Sosa and Joan Baez together with Gracias A La Vida (Thank you for this Life).

bill_g

Music Free-for-all

Post by bill_g »

YouTube is rolling out the oldies for me. Joni Mitchell and Dylan playing her song Coyote at Gordon Lightfoot's house in 1975. Close enough to a half century for me. Pretty good quality for the period.

Tiredretiredlawyer

Music Free-for-all

Loved the boss nova Autumn Leaves. A good dance tune too, also.
qbawl

Music Free-for-all

Post by qbawl »

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Interesting rendition. I'm amazed he could still get those high notes! I like getting to hear Joe Perry's guitar work standing out like that, very nice.

Anyone know the story behind that video?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Music Free-for-all

Post by northland10 »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:59 pm Interesting rendition. I'm amazed he could still get those high notes!
It is from 9 years ago so he was a bit younger back then, though I can't do those high notes since I was like 13.

As for the rendition:
Aerosmith Make Emotional Boston Marathon Bombing Tribute With “Dream On”

Aerosmith created a touching tribute for the Boston Marathon Bombing victims by reworking their hit “Dream On” with the Southern California Children’s Chorus. The Toxic Twins Steven Tyler and Joe Perry play together with the choir in a cavernous church, creating a beautifully haunting performance.

The arrangement is totally different from the original, with Tyler’s piano and Perry’s guitar being the only instrumentation, creating a stark and eerie mood. Tyler also sings with a mournful tone, totally reworking the vocals to create a moving dirge, helped by Perry’s moody guitar parts. The choir features several dozen young singers who add to the atmosphere of the piece with flawless backing vocals. You can watch the performance below, which has been viewed 52 million times on YouTube.
:snippity:
Aerosmith formed in 1970 in Boston, Massachusetts and The Toxic Twins still live in the state, so clearly the bombing had a big impact on the group. Further adding to the poignance of the video are photos of the victims of the bombing in happier times, with their names and ages. You can hear the original studio recording for “Dream On” in the video below.

Aerosmith were preparing to board their flight for an Australian tour when they heard the news of the bombing. Ever the consummate professionals, the band went ahead with the tour, but it wasn’t easy for them. After landing in Australia, Perry said at a press conference that his children were a mile away from the bombing site when the blasts went off.

“It was really tough getting on the plane I have to say because the news was just dribbling in,” the guitarist said. “As they were putting the body counts on the TV we were in the waiting room to get on a plane and fly how many hundreds of thousands of miles away from where my kids are. They were both watching the race and both of them have lost friends.”

https://www.themusicman.uk/aerosmith-boston-marathon/
101010 :towel:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Music Free-for-all

Post by Kriselda Gray »

northland10 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:19 pm
Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:59 pm Interesting rendition. I'm amazed he could still get those high notes!
It is from 9 years ago so he was a bit younger back then, though I can't do those high notes since I was like 13.

As for the rendition:
Thanks, Northland! That was an interesting story. I've never been able to hit those high notes (though I could play a fair amount of the main guitar line minus solos when I could still play at all...)

Return to “Arts, Music, Photography, and stuff like that”