Flying the Unfriendly Skies

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:10 pm This has been your overly long rather interesting aviation maintenance explanation from Frater...he'll see himself out now...
I have no idea why, but for about the last month, I've been on a major binge of "Air Disasters" episodes, so I actually understood some of what you were saying there :D Fascinating stuff. That would have been scary AF if he'd managed to pull those handles. (And would have made for an interesting episode, though that's not actually a good thing...)
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:19 am
Frater I*I wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:10 pm This has been your overly long rather interesting aviation maintenance explanation from Frater...he'll see himself out now...
I have no idea why, but for about the last month, I've been on a major binge of "Air Disasters" episodes, so I actually understood some of what you were saying there :D Fascinating stuff. That would have been scary AF if he'd managed to pull those handles. (And would have made for an interesting episode, though that's not actually a good thing...)
The Smithsonian Channel has been binging on the show, which makes it easy to binge watch, which I have.
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Thank you, sweet, smart grandson Frater!!! :lovestruck:
Hubby watches the aircraft accident reconstruction shows too.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Not watched them, but I have definitely seen that Air Disasters seems to be on every day. They are also running the Mighty Cruise Ships episodes pretty frequently, and even though I've been on some of the ships and met some of the personnel, I've had enough of them.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Yeah, it must be pretty popular for them to run as many episodes as they do. I think I'm getting close to running out of episodes I haven't see yet, though :( Not sure what I'll binge on next!
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

The Aerial America copters (or probably drones now) crashes into a mighty cruise ship, requiring the NTSB to investigate. Three shows in one.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

northland10 wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:38 pm The Aerial America copters (or probably drones now) crashes into a mighty cruise ship, requiring the NTSB to investigate. Three shows in one.
There ya go! That's the spirit :)
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Becca Peter @DefectiveBecca wrote: Wheelchair users have been trying for ages to raise awareness about their wheelchairs being broken so often when they fly, and the devastating impact this has on them.

@AmericanAir baggage handlers decided to give a demonstration of how much they enjoy breaking them 😡
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

This is appalling :mad: During the pandemic, we tried getting a wheelchair for Dr. Vicklund. It took four tries to get something that fit (they kept sending extra-wide chairs for bariatric patients, but they don't fit through normal doorways and are too wide for Dr. Vicklund to manually drive). The first one was our fault, but the next two were the fault of the shipper. Unfortunately, one of them we opened before we realized it was the wrong size, so we would have had to pay for it to be shipped back. In the end, I gave it away to the guy who replaced our garage door (he had a mother that needed a bariatric wheelchair, and I hadn't heard back from the charities I'd reached out to). Made a grown man cry that day. Even the most basic wheelchair is expensive and difficult to get.

Dr. Vicklund loves her chair. While she can walk on her own, standing for any length of time is excruciating, and with the pillows she has, it is more comfortable than any regular chair. Plus it makes it so she can get out of the house more. For Christmas, we're hoping we can get a mount for a trailer hitch that will allow us to haul it without taking up the entire cargo space of her new HR-V. To mount it, you fold the chair, pop a wheelie to get it into place, then pull up and lock it in - you don't have to lift the chair off the ground without mechanical assistance. Perfect for my wife to be able to go places and still take her wheelchair!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SILVER-SPRI ... /313248330

Getting back on topic, we flew out to Orlando a few weeks before the pandemic (I had work training at one of the Disney hotels). Having a wheelchair (provided by the venue) to get around the airport and the various resorts we visited was so enabling that Dr. Vicklund made the decision right then to get one of her own. But having seen this, how can we justify bringing our own when they treat wheelchairs like Plinko chits?
Lani

Post by Lani »

It can be horrible. I usually used a whieelchair when I was flying, Not too horrible. OMG when I used a motor scooter, airlines were horrible. One time when I got it off the plane, the wires had been sliced. :brickwallsmall:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate- ... lands-saf/
For the first time ever, a commercial plane flew across the Atlantic Ocean without using fossil fuels.

Virgin Atlantic said the test flight Tuesday from London to New York was powered only by sustainable aviation fuel, or SAF, a broad category of jet fuel that creates fewer carbon emissions than standard kerosene blends. The fuel on this flight was made from waste fats and plant sugars and emits 70% less carbon than petroleum-based jet fuel, according to a press release. It landed at John F. Kennedy International Airport on Tuesday afternoon.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

The Flying Carpet Bacon ;)
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:19 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate- ... lands-saf/
For the first time ever, a commercial plane flew across the Atlantic Ocean without using fossil fuels.

Virgin Atlantic said the test flight Tuesday from London to New York was powered only by sustainable aviation fuel, or SAF, a broad category of jet fuel that creates fewer carbon emissions than standard kerosene blends. The fuel on this flight was made from waste fats and plant sugars and emits 70% less carbon than petroleum-based jet fuel, according to a press release. It landed at John F. Kennedy International Airport on Tuesday afternoon.
The EU has mandated aggressive use of SAF in relatively short time frames. Everyone's working on it aggressively. The engines don't really care where their fuel comes from as long as it has chemical composition within certain ranges. There's work to be done to ensure that the engine control computers will account for differences between SAF burn characteristics and that of Jet-A, just like how automobile engine control computers have to be reprogrammed to deal with European gas formulations versus American.

The biggest near-term issue is volume production of SAF. On one axis, it's obvious that scaling up production from biomass of any sort is going to be tough. There's only so much bacon grease to go around (I'm helping by eating bacon every opportunity I can, saving the planet by being the opposite of a vegan). And we don't have any facilities operating at scale today, so there could be many unforeseen engineering problems in building something that produces consistent product. Perhaps a retired engineer who built oil refineries (*cough* Volkonski *cough) could contribute some perspective on how hard that is.

But the other tricky issue is making sure that the energy required to refine biomass inputs is less than that required to refine oil. If we considered the total energy cost to create a gallon of SAF versus to refine crude oil to get a gallon of Jet-A, we might find out that SAF is actually a net negative. I don't know one way or another where SAF is today and where it's likely to go tomorrow, but policy makers need to understand this so that SAF is an actual environmental benefit and not just a feel-good showcase.

We've been down that road before. Early environmentalist movements focused on the hazards of nuclear waste storage and steered people towards fossil fuels. They thought the fossil fuel problem was solved with scrubbers that lowered particulate and visible smog. If any scientists researched overall CO2 levels and climate change at the time, they were outshouted by the anti-nuke activists. We now have a much bigger problem than nuclear waste storage, and it may not be reversible in time. So we don't want to go down that road with SAF of a foolish local optimization that actually causes a bigger global problem.

Politically, SAF is a very important focus area for the EU's industrial strategy, so we'll see them stick with it even if there's a negative financial cost to SAF over fossil fuels. The European population has always been more sensitive to environmental issues as a voter issue than Americans, even before Trump made climate change denial a large-scale thing and even if European per-capita fossil fuel use isn't that much better than other advanced economies.

SAF is good for the European hight-tech industrial base. I've long said (including on The FogBow) that there are two capabilities a country must have to enter the club of first-rank high-tech economies: the ability to make current-generation semiconductor chips and the ability to make cutting-edge jet engines. Europeans are OK but not world class in both; the US retains its lead for the foreseeable future. Japan and Korea are both big players in semiconductors and Taiwan is starting to acquire lithography and design capability as well as being the global manufacturing hub. The EU is still far and away dominant in lithography, the key technology for chip-making, courtesy of Dutch chipmaking equipment giant ASML, but the EU doesn't have a leading position in much of the rest of the semiconductor technology chain. (As a side note, ASML's development facility for next-generation Extreme Ultraviolet [EUV] lithography is in Connecticut, not in Europe, because, surprisingly, the pool of optical engineering talent in Fairfield County is deeper than anywhere else in the world, even versus Germany or Silicon Valley.)

In aircraft engines, Japan and Korea are coming up fast. They and the Taiwanese are also getting good very quickly at airframes and aerosystems (doodads like radios, radar, landing gear assemblies, hydraulics, generators, actuators, etc.). India is lurking out there and learning, with a lot of engineering capability (much trained in the West) and a go-it-alone geopolitical strategy, but they're not as far along as other people... yet.

Europe's shining global success in aircraft manufacturing is Airbus, which is now the global leader in airliners, in part because of Boeing's disastrous screw-ups over the last 10+ years. But the European military aircraft makers have some serious headwinds. The American-built F-35 has taken the European market by storm for advanced fighter jets. Current 4th generation programs like the Saab Gripen, the French Rafale and the Eurofighter Typhoon are good 4th generation planes, but they have struggled for years to get the production volumes to be economically viable and they are not sufficiently cheaper than the F-35 to win much new business. The German acquisition of F-35s in 2022 sparked by the Ukraine invasion and last year's Swiss buy could become a significant inflection point in the viability of European-built 4th generation fighters.

The Europeans have sixth-generation fighter projects under way (Germany is leading one and the UK/Japan are leading another). But these are extremely risky, and Brexit has turned the Brits into competitors for the EU effort rather than partners.

Back to engines as the marker of advanced economies: Rolls-Royce is struggling financially for a variety of reasons and Safran has challenges in broadening its success beyond its 50/50 partnership with GE in building the phenomenally successful CFM56 engine that powers smaller Airbus airliners and a number of other aircraft. While there are smaller engine makers in Central Europe (Poland, Czech Republic and Ukraine) that are poised for success, it's going to be tough for the European engine leaders to maintain position in the engine market.

I've gone on this long-winded discussion of the state of the aircraft industry to suggest that SAF is essential to the Europeans, to help them buttress their aerospace industry in the face of strengthening competition, both from existing leaders (the US) and emerging players. However, there are significant challenges that will need to be solved on the economic front for it to become the operating model for the global aviation industry.

I'm absolutely in favor of increasing sustainability in aviation. However, given the risks that must be taken to get there, I'm tempering my optimism or my assessments as to whether and when this all takes off (no pun intended). As always, I think the focus for sustainability efforts needs to be on energy consumption for built environments (40%-50% of energy/fuel usage) and surface transportation (~40% of energy use). Aviation is only about 3% of hydrocarbon consumption (IIRC) and is less than ocean shipping. And we can do much more, much faster for building energy use and automotive than we can for aviation. Again, not an excuse for doing nothing, just trying to put it in perspective.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Producing SAF from biological oils and fats is not difficult to do. Scaling up to commercial size production facilities should present no serious technical problems. Coal has been converted to gas and liquid fuels for decades.

Very large scale systems to collect and transport these fats do not exist yet.

However waste fats are already used to make biodiesel fuels, animal feed, cosmetics, etc. Diversion of waste fats for more SAF production would compete with existing uses.

A new refinery can take years to design and build. Three to six years is not unusual. Permitting alone can take years.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Alaska Airlines makes the headlines once again

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Plane Door Blows Out Mid-Air, Passenger's Video Captures Horror

World NewsNDTV News Desk
Updated: January 06, 2024 11:28 am IST

An Alaska Airlines Boeing 737-9 MAX faced an emergency today after one of its doors blew open mid-air, minutes after take-off.

Videos taken by passengers show the mid-cabin exit door had completely separated from the aircraft.

"AS1282 from Portland to Ontario, CA (California) experienced an incident this evening soon after departure. The aircraft landed safely back at Portland International Airport with 171 guests and 6 crew members. We are investigating what happened and will share more as it becomes available," Alaska Airlines said in a post on X.

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/door-bl ... ng-4809779

Airplane was already at 12000feet level, iirc about the limit where cabin pressure is maintained during flight.

better but dramticized account in The Daily Mail : https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ashes.html
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Saskatoon passengers landing in Orlando told they 'entered the country illegally'

CTV News
11 Jan 2024

A Saskatoon-area couple travelling to Orlando last Friday is left with many unanswered questions after an unexpected delay because of a security breach by an airport employee.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

"Elements" in Somaliland have attempted to emulate air traffice control and reroute a ElAl plane
Hostile attack attempted El Al communication network takeover - report
The incident unfolded while the aircraft traversed airspace known to be frequented by Houthi rebels, heightening fears of potential sabotage

i24NEWS
February 18, 2024 at 02:17 PM

In a concerning sequence of events for Israeli aviation, hostile elements reportedly attempted to seize control of the communication network on an El Al flight traveling from Phuket, Thailand, to Ben Gurion Airport in Israel.

The incident unfolded while the aircraft traversed airspace known to be frequented by Houthi rebels, heightening fears of potential sabotage, according to a report from Israeli public broadcaster Kann.

Despite the alarming nature of the attempted takeover, the flight managed to reach its intended destination and land safely, averting a potentially catastrophic situation.

Details emerging from the incident suggest that the perpetrators sought to manipulate the plane's trajectory, possibly diverting it from its intended course. However, vigilant crew members quickly detected irregularities and took decisive action to thwart the threat.

Sources in Somalia have raised the possibility of involvement by the entity Somaliland, which recently forged a controversial agreement with Ethiopia. While the exact motives behind the attempted takeover remain unclear, authorities are actively investigating the incident to ascertain responsibility and prevent similar threats in the future.

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/israel/d ... ver-report
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Whoops.
Brian Krassenstein @krassenstein wrote: BREAKING: A United Airlines Boeing 777 has been recorded losing a tire during takeoff in San Francisco.

The tire ended up hitting a car and crushing it.

Details:

- A tire fell off a United Airlines flight during takeoff from San Francisco International Airport, heading to Japan.

- The flight was diverted and later landed safely at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX).

- The tire debris landed in an employee parking lot at the airport, with no reported injuries.

- United arranged for a new aircraft to continue the passengers' journey from LAX.

- There were 249 people onboard: 235 customers, 10 flight attendants, and four pilots.

- The Boeing 777-200 involved is designed to land safely even with missing or damaged tires.

- The runway was temporarily closed to remove debris but reopened shortly after.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Rolodex

Post by Rolodex »

I'm really glad no one was hurt, but if someone had been in or near that car and gotten injured, I'd have to see which ICD-10 code they'd use for that. ICD codes are what health care providers use to descibe illnesses/injuries, etc; it's how they are able to bill.

One of my favorites is ICD V91. 07XA which is burns caused by water skis on fire.
Do the right thing. It will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Off Topic
Every time I go to the ER with an allergic reaction I get a call from the insurance company wanting details about the incident so they can determine if there’s third party liability. It’s triggered by one of those codes. :roll:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Ya, Boeing seems to be sorting out its shi-

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/boei ... rcna142915
A passenger has told NBC News of the dramatic incident that saw people aboard a Boeing flight thrown into the ceiling, as authorities probed what caused the plane's sudden mid-air plunge.

More than a dozen people were rushed to the hospital on Monday and at least 50 injured after a LATAM airlines flight traveling from Sydney, Australia to Auckland, New Zealand experienced a “strong shake,” officials said.

Authorities in New Zealand said Tuesday they were seizing the black boxes from the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, which had been due to continue on to Santiago, Chile.

"Everything was going well," said passenger Brian Jokat, who was sitting in a window seat as the flight headed toward New Zealand. “Then all of a sudden, the plane took a nosedive down.”

“People were flying out of their seats, hitting the roof, being thrown back four or five aisles back,” Jokat, 61, said in a telephone interview.
New Zealand Latam Boeing Flight
The LATAM Airlines plane sits on the tarmac of the Auckland International Airport in New Zealand on Tuesday.Brett Phibbs / AFP - Getty Images

Jokat said that while he had his seatbelt on, the passenger in the aisle seat of his row didn’t.

“I saw him lying on the ceiling looking down at me,” he said. “He was fully out-stretched,” Jokat said. “And then bang, I looked behind and everyone was falling off the ceilings,” he added.

Jokat said the seatbelt, which he rarely wears during cruising altitude, saved him from the injuries.

“But those days are over. I will always keep my seatbelt on,” he said. “Because what I saw in that plane was people flying like ragdolls.”

LATAM Airlines Flight LA800 was carrying 263 passengers along with 9 crew members, the Santiago-based airline said in a statement Tuesday. The flight landed at its scheduled time of 4:26 p.m. Monday (11:26 p.m. Sunday ET) in Auckland after its 2-hour, 42-minute flight.

The plane "experienced a strong shake whose causes are being investigated," the airline said.

Emergency services treated about 50 patients, 12 of whom were taken to the hospital, New Zealand’s emergency medical service provider Hato Hone St John Ambulance, said in a statement Monday.

The airline said most of those were discharged shortly after and that only two people needed medical attention “but without any life-threatening risks.”

The aircraft’s pilot told the passengers the flight had suffered equipment failure for a few seconds, causing the plane to drop for almost 500 feet in the air, Jokat said. “He said my gauges went down, everything went down for one or two seconds and they just lit up again and continued to function,” Jokat added.

“Some people broke right through the ceiling. So you can see all the wires inside,” Jokat said.
:shark1:
Hic sunt dracones
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Suranis wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:32 pm Ya, Boeing seems to be sorting out its shi-
:snippity:
1: This may not be Boeing's fault, because...

2: Every airline tells you that when in your seat always fasten your seatbelt...

3: Because severe turbulence can cause an aircraft to drop several hundred, and even a few thousand feet in a few seconds...

I'll reserve judgment until an more official report comes out...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:41 pm
Suranis wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:32 pm Ya, Boeing seems to be sorting out its shi-
:snippity:
1: This may not be Boeing's fault, because...

2: Every airline tells you that when in your seat always fasten your seatbelt...

3: Because severe turbulence can cause an aircraft to drop several hundred, and even a few thousand feet in a few seconds...

I'll reserve judgment until an more official report comes out...
:yeahthat:

Return to “General Stuff”