💣 The Disastrous 118th Congress - MAGA Mike Johnson Saved by Shadow Speaker Hakeem Jeffries

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

The 118th Congress with Kevin "My Kevin" McCarthy, Speaker /Clowns

Post by raison de arizona »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:00 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:47 pm I like the idea of changing the rules to let a plurality win. Let those score-and-some of Rs decide whether they will eat it and vote for a non-ideal R, or let Jeffries have a go at it. Either way, let's get the show on the road.
It would be the Dems fault if that worked to put Jeffries in! How dare the Dems only have a single candidate and all Dems vote the same! How undemocratic, unChristian, un-everything! You should be inclusive and vote for a clown!

And it's the Dems fault that we threw out the previous Speaker because … because … oh, it is, it is, it is!
The line I've heard is that it is the D's fault because 207 of them voted to oust McCarthy, while only 11 Rs did.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https:// www.foxnews.com/politics/house-gop-spir ... hree-weeks

Headline at Fox right now. When you've lost them...
House GOP spirals into chaos as Emmer becomes third speaker nominee dropped in three weeks
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

The little twisted part of me would like to see one of the on-air news personalities suggest Nancy Pelosi -- since she has the experience for the job.

:twisted:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

WAPO has an opinion piece entitled "Democrats should help elect a Republican Speaker."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... democrats/

LOL. Fuck off and fuck no.
Hic sunt dracones
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

I can't help but think the Dems missed an opportunity with Emmer. I do not think Trump really cares who is speaker, only that he demonstrates his power and relevance by appearing to sink people's chances. The dems could have embarrassed him by having Emmer win with their support despite his failed kingmaking.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Estiveo wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:43 pm Many Speakers serve their terms
With diligence and zeal,
Pelosi and John Boehner,
Or good ol' Tip O'Neill
Very nicely done, Estiveo!!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Gregg wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:43 pm Also, NY Times headline tomorrow:

"Dems in Disarray as Speaker fight continues"
Did any Rs make it to Fox News in time to blame Ds for Emmer not getting elected?
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Others don't quite fit the role,
Incompetent or venal,
Resign in shame or just let go,
By vote or judgment penal

Bravo, estiveo!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

neeneko wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:40 pm I can't help but think the Dems missed an opportunity with Emmer. I do not think Trump really cares who is speaker, only that he demonstrates his power and relevance by appearing to sink people's chances. The dems could have embarrassed him by having Emmer win with their support despite his failed kingmaking.
Ya, but the press would have instantly forgot about that embarrassment and in 29 minutes would be reporting something else to show that the moron on the other end of the horse race they desperately want is relevant and powerful. Trust me, they wouldn't even have mentioned it again.

There is no embarrassment when the person will never acknowledge he ever anti-endorsed the guy, and the people whose job it is to be the People's memory won't ever mention it.
Hic sunt dracones
optimusprime

Post by optimusprime »

I want to know why Elise Stefanik is not even mentioned or in the running?

Thus far, I don't know of any female gNOp nominee for speaker. Sure, they have floated a female (Liz Cheney), however, she is taking her pot shots from speaking engagements.

Republicans, I am loving the show, but this is not how you run a government! This schyt-show is why I'll neva trust a republican or a dixiecrat!
bob

Post by bob »

optimusprime wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:26 pm I want to know why Elise Stefanik is not even mentioned or in the running?
Can't lose the lottery if you never buy a ticket.
Image ImageImage
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Speaking of My Despicable Congresswoman--I have always thought that she would never advance further than where she is because she is a lightweight. She is evil to the core, but does not have that crazy factor or mad drive that the modern Republican Congresswoman needs to possess to get attention. She just wants to be bossy to Dems and suck up to Fuckhead. She was picked to replace Liz C because she was female and there.

Alternatively: Heard a couple of talking heads today saying that all the Republican women were too smart to run for Speaker. Take that for what it's worth.
optimusprime

Post by optimusprime »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:42 pm Speaking of My Despicable Congresswoman--I have always thought that she would never advance further than where she is because she is a lightweight. She is evil to the core, but does not have that crazy factor or mad drive that the modern Republican Congresswoman needs to possess to get attention. She just wants to be bossy to Dems and suck up to Fuckhead. She was picked to replace Liz C because she was female and there.

Alternatively: Heard a couple of talking heads today saying that all the Republican women were too smart to run for Speaker. Take that for what it's worth.
I've heard the same, even Boebert and MTG. Neither want their names laughed at, and that will keep them far, far away from the speaker's gavel.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

The problem with the Speaker role is that you have to know how the house works and have to do work, manage people and their needs, and be capable. MTG and Boebert know they are fucking useless and dont want their uselessness exposed by going for a role they would have to actually do something, manage others and achieve results. It's also the reason that TFG would (probably) never do it.

The men however are blinded by their lack of awareness, and strutting Ego.
Hic sunt dracones
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4271 ... 41:34%20AM

Rep. Chuck Fleischmann (R-Tenn.) was eliminated in the first round of voting, leaving four candidates in the running.

The tally for the first vote was:

Johnson – 85
Donalds – 32
Green – 23
Williams – 21
Fleischmann – 10
Other (including McCarthy) – 31
Present – 2
The conference is beginning its second ballot.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4271 ... 41:34%20AM

Rep. Roger Williams (R-Texas) was eliminated from the Speaker race in the second round of voting, and Rep. Mark Green (Tenn.) has dropped out.

According to a source in the room, the vote totals for the second round were:

Johnson – 97
Other – 34 (including 33 for McCarthy)
Donalds – 31
Green – 21
Williams – 20
Present – 3
The conference is entering its third round of voting with two named candidates: Johnson and Donalds.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Lock em in a room with bread and water until some bleeding and beaten survivor crawls out, then let the Democrats dictate terms and elect him, and get stuff done before the Republicans figure out what happened.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Gregg wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:52 pm Lock em in a room with bread and water until some bleeding and beaten survivor crawls out, then let the Democrats dictate terms and elect him, and get stuff done before the Republicans figure out what happened.
No, tridents and spears, I've already told you this good sir... ;)
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4273 ... omination/

House GOP gives Mike Johnson Speaker nod after whirlwind Emmer dropout
House Republicans nominated Rep. Mike Johnson (R-La.) for Speaker Tuesday evening, a source familiar confirmed to The Hill, making him the fourth GOP lawmaker to win the conference’s nod — and its second nominee within a day after House Majority Whip Tom Emmer (R-Minn.) dropped out of the running amid GOP opposition.

Johnson’s nomination capped off the end of a whirlwind day.

:snippity:

He got 128 votes within the GOP conference.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I really do think we are at the point of Democrats choosing a Speaker they can make a deal with and electing him, on their terms.

The rest of this Congress is less than toast for Republicans and it is a chance to purge the lunatics from any real influence, something that most Republicans will welcome even if they can't say it out loud.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

What happens next: Republicans will hold a roll-call vote behind closed doors tomorrow morning to see if Johnson can secure the 217 votes to win the gavel.

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

This is the dude. He's hardcore. He's tight with Jim Jordan and the nuts, but doesn't seem to have pissed normal Republicans off. They may have a guy. He has no long-term experience, and Mitch, Chuck, Joe & Nancy have like 140 years.

Rep. Mike Johnson (R-La.), the GOP’s new House speaker designate, vowed after he won his conference’s nomination that people would soon see “a new form of government,” but also said he did not want to get into policy questions Tuesday night.

Johnson, 51, an attorney and former radio host, is a close ally of Donald Trump, having served on the former president’s legal defense team during his two impeachment trials in the Senate. Johnson also contested the results of the 2020 election — urging Trump that year to “stay strong and keep fighting” as Trump tried to overturn the results of the presidential race.

In January 2021, Johnson objected to certifying Joe Biden’s electoral win, arguing that states’ voting accommodations during the pandemic were unconstitutional.

On several other issues, Johnson has been on the far right, even within the Republican conference. Johnson introduced legislation last year — modeled after what critics call the “don’t say gay” law in Florida — that would have prohibited discussion of sexual orientation and gender identity, as well as related subjects, at any institution that received federal funds. The Human Rights Campaign, a pro-LGBTQ civil rights organization, gave Johnson a score of “0″ in its latest congressional scorecard.

Johnson, who opposes abortion, cheered the Supreme Court’s overturning of Roe v. Wade and has said he supports “the sanctity of life, all the way.” He has also opposed sending additional aid to Ukraine.

Johnson has served in the House since 2017 and is the vice chair of the House Republican Conference, serving under Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y.). From 2019 to 2021, he chaired the conservative Republican Study Committee, the largest bloc in the GOP conference. He’s also the chair of the House Judiciary subcommittee on the Constitution and limited government.

Maniac With Maria

He likes Nancy Pelosi --

PatriotTakes 🇺🇸 @patriottakes
GOP Speaker candidate Mike Johnson once said Nancy Pelosi and Democrats “are not the enemy” and supports working with them. Johnson: “We’re going to try to work with Democrats. …Nancy Pelosi …is a very kind and generous person. She’s been great to me.”

His son Jack turned 18 in July -- Mike made him read "A Father's Prayer" By Gen MacArthur which they put to a slide show of Jack growing up.

Our first-born son JACK turns 18 today!
We’re so grateful to God for the extraordinary young man he is—abundantly gifted, with a humble, servant’s heart. A natural born leader, scholar, athlete, and musician, who walks with the Lord. Build me a son, indeed.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

From what I've read, US Rep Mike Johnson (R, LA) has been largely invisible since first elected in 2016. He likes being the unseen hand. As Speaker expect him to do a lot of business out of view.

He's considered instrumental in the scheme to overturn 2020 election. Expect him to try illegal and unconstitutional ideas again through proxies. He will be the rational public voice, and his surrogates will appear to be the ones pumping the handle.

He doesn't want contraception or abortions. And he opposes gay marriage. Expect him to double down.

He does want lower taxes and higher profits for corporations. Expect him to not be a friend of Labor or the average taxpayer.
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

I’m emphatically opposed to Johnson. He’s far right on social issues; he’s a Trump-worshipping fuckwad. He has Trump’s approval as Speaker. That says it all. Don’t be fooled because he seems less incendiary than big mouths like Jim Jordan.

Any Dem who votes for him should be primaried up the wazoo.

Return to “Current Politics”