State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
much ado

State of New York vs Trump, et al - the civil fraud case against the Trump Organization

Post by much ado »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:36 pm Anyone think he's aware enough to realize the dumbest thing he ever did was come down that escalator?
Obama did it to him. :point:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Typical bully.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yoo said ...

:snippity:

"But that political message will tube and tank his ability to prevail at all in this legal proceeding"
I know how to tank one's ability to do this or that.

But how do you tube your ability to prevail? I googed "tube and tank" and they want me to buy skimpy women's tube tank tops. :? Admittedly, I might look okay in one of those. Depending on size and color, no doubt. :lol: Nobody on this planet wants to see my abs. :blackeye:

Yet the question remains. Did Yoo (not you) say tube and tank, and if'n he did, what is the tube part of that?

Asking for a friend. :smoking:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
bob

Post by bob »

I think I understand the context, i.e., to "tube your ability" appears to mean reduce flexibility or confine your path.

Which makes sense: utilizing an option often precludes others.

But this particular phrasology does not appear to be in vernacular of many Earthlings.
Image ImageImage
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Tube and tank are common enough in vernacular usage -
His reputation went down the tubes (referring to sewer pipes).
The whole company was tubed (quite nebulous - could refer to a penis, or the Naval slang for a torpedo).
It was in the tank (referring to a rapid decline).
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I motion to add "tube and tank" to our Fogbow lexicon. Frankly, I think it should be spread far and wide. :mrgreen:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
NewMexGirl

Post by NewMexGirl »

The quality of Trump’s legal representation just keeps going down. Kise and Habba are primarily media figures and have been, at least in Kise’s case, for a long time. Unfortunately for tfg, courts don’t seem to give a rat’s ass if your attorney is extremely good looking (Habba) or a well-known political figure who even ran for the Senate in the late nineties (Kise).
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Trump is back to a white shirt and red tie today.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

NewMexGirl wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:28 am The quality of Trump’s legal representation just keeps going down. Kise and Habba are primarily media figures and have been, at least in Kise’s case, for a long time. Unfortunately for tfg, courts don’t seem to give a rat’s ass if your attorney is extremely good looking (Habba) or a well-known political figure who even ran for the Senate in the late nineties (Kise).
The problem with going to Central Casting for your attorneys is that the other side is actually going to law schools to get theirs.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

With not much happening in court yet CNN is reporting Trump's unhinged tirades about the AG and judge.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:59 am Trump is back to a white shirt and red tie today.
That means he's trying to establish control.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
Donald Trump remains engaged with the trial testimony Tuesday, sitting at the defense table with attorneys Chris Kise and Alina Habba. The former president has continued to review documents at the table and on the screen in front of him and leaning over often to speak to the lawyers.

Kevin Wallace, an attorney for the New York attorney general, spent Tuesday morning methodically reviewing Trump's annual statements of financial condition and Mazars accounting engagement letters for 2012 through 2016 with former Mazars accounting executive Donald Bender, belaboring the point that the Trump Organization provided supporting data that backed Trump's financial statements and each year certified that they understood it was Trump Organization's duty to provide accurate information.

Eric Trump, a co-defendant, also appears engaged scanning exhibits that appear on the screen and keeping a steady eye on Bender as he testifies. He's also biting his nails.

Trump's decision to appear in court — his appearance is not required in this civil case — stems from how the accusations strike at what Trump values the most: his business and his brand, CNN's Kaitlan Collins reports.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Trump says he will testify at the trial.

Too bad it isn't being broadcast.

He is on the witness lists for both the prosecution and the defense.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

:mad:
-

Kyle Cheney
@kyledcheney

Trump, on Truth Social, is attacking Judge Engoron's *clerk," — who is literally in the courtroom with him — while calling her "Chuck Schumer's girlfriend" and posting a link to her Instagram account.

I suspect this will be an exhibit in some gag order arguments.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

NewMexGirl wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:28 am The quality of Trump’s legal representation just keeps going down. Kise and Habba are primarily media figures and have been, at least in Kise’s case, for a long time. Unfortunately for tfg, courts don’t seem to give a rat’s ass if your attorney is extremely good looking (Habba) or a well-known political figure who even ran for the Senate in the late nineties (Kise).
Part of Trump’s problem is that he has a history of not following his lawyers’ advice, and insisting on pursuing failed or likely-to-fail legal strategies. The best lawyers in the world doing the best lawyering in the world can only do so much.

Not saying Habba and Kise should necessarily get a pass, but to the extent they’re hamstrung by the decisions that are the client’s to make, they’ve got to play the hand they were dealt.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Vile.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Hopefully the judge learns during the lunch break about Trump posting while in court. Maybe he'll use a ruler on his knuckles.
realist

Post by realist »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:50 pm
Part of Trump’s problem is that he has a history of not following his lawyers’ advice, and insisting on pursuing failed or likely-to-fail legal strategies. The best lawyers in the world doing the best lawyering in the world can only do so much.

Not saying Habba and Kise should necessarily get a pass, but to the extent they’re hamstrung by the decisions that are the client’s to make, they’ve got to play the hand they were dealt.
Agree he's the problem and would be with any attorney, but only to a certain point should they go along with his nonsense.
Image X 4
Image X 32
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

RVInit wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:14 am I motion to add "tube and tank" to our Fogbow lexicon. Frankly, I think it should be spread far and wide. :mrgreen:
John Yoo can’t get waterboarding off of his brain.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
After Donald Trump's former longtime accountant Donald Bender's examination by the New York attorney general's legal team concluded, the court went into lunch break.

Bender will face cross examination after the court resumes.

Judge Arthur Engoron warned the defense they need to come back from the break in a timely fashion. “If you're not here I'm starting anyway," he said.

Engoron made jokes throughout the proceedings. He started the day by joking about one of his court officers after he yelled for order in the court. Engoron said, "The man you just heard, I affectionately call Tommy, and his next gig is no doubtfully going to be the at the metropolitan opera."

Trump, though, was not joking when as exited the courtroom for the lunch break, complaining once again about the trial. “This is a rigged trial. It’s a fraudulent trial. The attorney general is a fraud and we have to expose her as that. You see what’s going on. It’s a rigged deal.”
bob

Post by bob »

:roll:

Having said that, this is exactly why shipping clerks should* keep a low profile; to the protect the court from even an appearance of impropriety.

* Should is doing the work, as many courts have thoughtful ethical policies on how judges (and their staffs) may participate in constitutionally protected speech while not appearing partisan or biased.
Image ImageImage
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Bah it does not matter if she kept a low profile or not. The Republican Machine would have found SOMEONE to blame and then based their whole conspiracy around them no matter what.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

There seem to be a fresh release to the public of number of video depositions of the former guy, his spawns and T-Org iifials (Weisselberg).

Ben Meiselas comment on excerpts.

bob

Post by bob »

Messenger: Judge Gags Trump After Ex-President Attacks His Law Clerk:
Shortly before a lunch break, Trump circulated a false rumor about Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron, which traces its origins to a now-shuttered satirical website

The New York judge presiding over Donald Trump's civil fraud trial on Tuesday issued a gag order after the former president attacked his clerk by name and shared her image on social media.

“Personal attacks on members on my court staff are unacceptable, inappropriate, and I won't tolerate it [in my courtroom],” said Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Arthur Engoron.

He added later to "consider this a gag order for all parties from posting about any members of my staff."
FA;FO.
Image ImageImage

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”