COPS behaving badly

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

COPS behaving badly

Post by raison de arizona »

Arkansas State Police settles PIT maneuver lawsuit which injured pregnant woman
https://www.kark.com/news/working4you/a ... ant-woman/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neeneko

COPS behaving badly

Post by neeneko »

Gah.

Every time I see something like that I think back to when I was in college. There were a string of assaults that happened out on dark highways with some guy pretending to be a cop and pulling people over. The police kept saying that if you ever did not feel comfortable with where the pull over was happening you could put on your 4 ways and continue till there was somewhere public like a gas station you could pull into.

Police tend to be pretty impatient with people actually following this advice.
W. Kevin Vicklund

COPS behaving badly

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I had a cop chew me out for driving an extra 25 feet so I could pull into a parking lot, rather than stop just past a blind corner at night on the town's main street.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

COPS behaving badly

Post by neonzx »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:35 pm I had a cop chew me out for driving an extra 25 feet so I could pull into a parking lot, rather than stop just past a blind corner at night on the town's main street.
I was last stopped I believe in 2015 but I drove until the next business I could pull-off into a couple hundred feet down (we were on a busy 4-lane road). I didn't get bitched out.

Of, my infraction? Burnt out tail light. :roll:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

COPS behaving badly

Post by Maybenaut »

We live on a curvy mountain road with very few places to safely pull over. And we have a parking lot. So every couple of months folks will pull in, followed by the cops. One time a Virginia State Trooper came to the door after the driver left. He apologized for using our driveway for a traffic stop - said he understood why people wouldn’t like the optics of cop cars in front of their houses. Said he grew up in Luray and used to come to our house back when it was a gift shop. We gave him a tour.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

COPS behaving badly

Post by keith »

There used to be Public Service Announcements on Tucson TV where the Pima County Sheriff's or the Arizona Highway Patrol (I forget which) department would tell listeners that it was perfectly reasonable to drive to a lighted parking lot (like a 7/11 or gas station or whatever) before stopping.

This was over 50 years ago and a couple generations of increasing paranoia from both cops and the public, so I don't know what they think about it now.
If they tell you I fell off the bed and hung myself, I didn't.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Lost leg: Zapata man sues as deputies' takedown causes amputation
Barrientos files federal lawsuit against Zapata County, sheriff and deputies after incurring nearly $500K in medical bills

Jason Mack LMTonline.com / Laredo Morning Times
July 12, 2023 Updated: July 12, 2023 4:24 p.m.

A Zapata man who had his left leg amputated allegedly due to injuries sustained when he was subdued by officers is filing a federal lawsuit against the Zapata County Sheriff’s Office seeking damages for nearly $500,000 in medical bills and more.

The lawsuit filed on behalf of Rigoberto Barrientos, 46, was announced Wednesday, July 12 by his attorney Kevin Green in front of the U.S. District Court in downtown Laredo at 1300 Victoria St.

Barrientos made a brief statement at Wednesday’s press conference saying, “I just want justice to be made and don’t want this to happen to anyone else.”

The civil rights suit is alleging Barrientos had his First, Fourth and Fourteenth Amendment rights violated and that an “inexplicably violent and illegal arrest” led to him fighting for his life and having his leg amputated. The suit also includes a civil conspiracy claim against the four deputies, a claim against Zapata County Sheriff Raymundo Del Bosque for “failure to supervise and train his officers on proper police takedowns” and a Monell claim against Zapata County for “fostering and tolerating the pervasive and well-known custom and practice of excessive force takedowns by Sheriff’s Office personnel.”

https://www.lmtonline.com/local/article ... 197585.php

RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Dave from down under

COPS behaving badly

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-21/ ... /102630624

Protesters who were arrested or beaten by police during George Floyd death protests in 2020 could receive a share in more than $US13 million ($19.2 million) after New York City agreed to pay them in a civil rights settlement.

Key points:

Protests erupted across the US after the death of George Floyd in 2020
Thousands were arrested or beaten by police across the country
Plaintiffs in the class action could receive thousands of dollars each
The class action on behalf of 1,300 people, focused on 18 of the many protests that erupted in the city the week after Mr Floyd was killed by a police officer in Minneapolis.

The settlement which was filed to Manhattan federal court on Wednesday, will be among the most expensive payouts ever awarded in a lawsuit over mass arrests if approved by a judge.

With certain exceptions, people arrested or subjected to force by NYPD officers at those events will each be eligible for $US9,950 in compensation, according to lawyers for the plaintiffs.

The agreement, one of several stemming from the 2020 Black Lives Matter protests, allows the city to avoid a trial that could be both expensive and politically fraught.

Many other cities across the US are negotiating their own settlements with protesters who spilled into the streets to decry racist police brutality after Mr Floyd's death, a period of unrest that saw 10,000 people arrested in the span of a few days.
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Manipulation of a statistics database

raison de arizona

COPS behaving badly

@NTarnopolsky wrote: 💥Police throw burning wood planks at protesters in Tel Aviv
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

this is all (news video in article)
Officer who put woman in a police car hit by a train didn't know it was on the tracks, defense says

Tue, July 25, 2023 at 3:14 AM GMT+2

The lawyer for a Colorado police officer who put a handcuffed woman in a parked police car that was hit by a freight train says she didn't know the car was on the tracks. (July 24)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/officer-put- ... 45375.html
raison de arizona

COPS behaving badly

I get that it was an adrenaline pumping situation, but once she took the woman into custody, she was the officer's responsibility. There were signs everywhere. She had to WALK OVER the tracks to put the woman in the car. She's responsible. She screwed up, badly.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

COPS behaving badly

Post by neonzx »

Wowser, that officer lady has a lot of arm tats. No standards at that department.
raison de arizona

COPS behaving badly

neonzx wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:50 pm Wowser, that officer lady has a lot of arm tats. No standards at that department.
You should see the NYPD these days It seems like half the young men have full sleeves. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it really does add to the perception that they aren't a PD, they're a gang. IMO.
sugar magnolia

COPS behaving badly

Post by sugar magnolia »

neonzx wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:50 pm Wowser, that officer lady has a lot of arm tats. No standards at that department.
"Standards" are things like training, education, experience, that sort of thing that actually determine her ability to perform her duties.Tattoos have zero bearing on that.

p.s. The train tracks in my mother's front yard are smoother than her new driveway. You could crawl over them on your hands and knees and not know they were there. There are no crossing arms either and a car gets hit by a train several times a year. Not defending the officer, just pointing out there may be other factors involved than just intentionally parking on the tracks.

p.p.s. It was apparently not even her own police unit she placed the suspect in, so she didn't park the vehicle to begin with.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

COPS behaving badly

Post by Foggy »

There was a time in my life when every woman I knew had tattoos. Doesn't mean anything in particular, unless it does. :mrgreen:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
raison de arizona

COPS behaving badly

New video shows troubling death of man run over on Colorado road after cop used stun gun

A Colorado man who bolted from a minor traffic stop and was fatally struck by a car on a highway had been jolted with a police officer's stun gun, a "criminal and reprehensible" action that left the man lying prone in the road while high-speed traffic approached, lawyers for the man's family said Wednesday.

The Larimer County Sheriff's Office released video of the Feb. 18 incident and it shows officers chasing Brent Thompson, 28, running toward Interstate 25 in Northern Colorado. It cuts off before Thompson is struck by the car.

But the law firm representing Thompson's family released a lengthier video Wednesday that shows much more graphic and troubling footage, including Thompson lying immobilized on the highway after being stunned, with a wire from the stun gun still attached to his body as a car traveling at least 40 mph approached. One of the sheriff's officers is heard on video saying, "s---t, s---t," moments before Thompson is run over.

"The tasering of an individual in the middle of an interstate highway at night is criminal and reprehensible conduct and has no place in law enforcement," a statement from the law firm of Rathod Mohamedbhai said.

The body-worn camera footage depicts Deputy Lorenzo Lujan using the stun weapon on Thompson. He was shocked on the interstate 5.6 seconds before a car hit him, an investigation found.

Thompson died at a nearby hospital from his injuries, less than an hour after the traffic stop. Local prosecutors have declined to charge Lujan criminally, but District Attorney Gordon McLaughlin said Lujan's actions show “poor judgment and possibly a need for additional and more robust training." McLaughlin said he felt Lujan actions stopped short of "criminal culpability.”

Lujan was put on paid administrative leave following the incident and returned to work early July in a non-enforcement capacity while waiting for an investigation to finish, Larimer County Sheriff John Feyen told the Coloradoan, part of the USA TODAY Network. He remains employed as a deputy.
:snippity:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 474305007/
raison de arizona

COPS behaving badly

Now THIS is how you handle this sort of thing, bravo to SOUTHLAKE POLICE!
steven ''X'' monacelli 🆓 @stevanzetti wrote: NEW: Two police officers in Southlake, Texas have been fired after an incident in which a Nazi swastika was drawn during a police department meeting. The officers were not named in the press release from Southlake Police.
raison de arizona

COPS behaving badly

Tell UF No Repression: Let Student Activist Complete Her PhD
UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA

On March 10, 2023, I was arrested on University of Florida's campus by campus police during a peaceful rally for reproductive rights. An anti-abortion hate group known as Created Equal called the UF police department, resulting in a plainclothes officer arriving to the rally unannounced. Despite myself and others around me never hearing him identify himself as UF PD nor seeing any identification that he was an officer, he grabbed another rally attendee by the arm. Given we were surrounded by highly aggressive anti-abortion protestors, I assumed the attendee was being attacked by an anti-abortion protestor, and I attempted to pull him free. I was then arrested on heavily trumped-up charges of ''aggravated battery on a law enforcement officer'' and ''resisting arrest with violence.''

As a result, I have been placed on paid administrative leave by the university and am on interim suspension from my academic work. I am a third year PhD student in the Rehabilitation Science program at UF. I study swallowing, speech, and respiratory disorders in Parkinson's disease, as well as health disparities in neurological disease care. I have not been allowed to continue my work for two months, placing me behind in my studies and taking me away from the patients I love to see.

My student conduct hearing is scheduled for the end of May, and I face possible expulsion from the university. I only have one more year left before I graduate and continue my valuable work into improving the lives of people living with Parkinson's disease. Please sign this petition to tell UF this is not worth ruining my life over, and you want to see me complete my program.

Relevant articles and videos of the incident:
https://www.alligator.org/article/2023/ ... protestors
https://www.gainesville.com/story/news/ ... 993220007/
https://actionnetwork.org/petitions/no- ... te-her-phd
raison de arizona

COPS behaving badly

Colorado cop found guilty after train hits patrol car with suspect inside

DENVER (AP) - A Colorado police officer who put a handcuffed woman in a parked police vehicle that was hit by a freight train was found guilty of reckless endangerment and assault but was acquitted of a third charge of criminal attempt to commit manslaughter during a trial Friday.

Jordan Steinke was the first of two officers to go to trial over the Sept. 16, 2022, crash that left Yareni Rios-Gonzalez seriously injured.

"There’s no reasonable doubt that placing a handcuffed person in the back of a patrol car, parked on railroad tracks, creates a substantial and unjustifiable risk of harm by the train," said Judge Timothy Kerns.

But the evidence didn't convince Kerns that Steinke "knowingly intended to harm Ms. Rios-Gonzalez," and he added that Stienke had shown "shock and remorse."

Steinke testified that she did not know that the patrol car of another officer she was helping was parked on the tracks even though they can be seen on her body camera footage along with two railroad crossing signs. Steinke said she was focused on the threat that could come from Rios-Gonzalez and her pickup truck, not the ground.
https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/color ... ect-inside
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

out of the auditor scene

RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

Culpeper County Sheriff indicted for accepting bribes says he's still in charge | NBC4 Washington

NBC4 Washington
5 Jul 2023

News4 I-Team’s Ted Oberg tracked down Culpeper County Sheriff Scott Jenkins who was indicted on federal charges after prosecutors say he took cash bribes and campaign contributions in exchange for police credentials.

and one of his "honorary deputies"
Culpeper sheriff can't or won't explain powerful, pricey gun found in Dallas wreck | NBC4 Washington

NBC4 Washington
28 Jul 2023

Culpeper County Sheriff Scott Jenkins is facing the potential of years in federal prison after being indicted for allegedly taking bribes for auxiliary deputy badges. Now there are concerns about how the department tracks any weapons issued to volunteer officers after Investigative Reporter Ted Oberg and the News4 I-Team discovered a high-powered gun owned by Culpeper County ended up 1,200 miles away.
RTH10260

COPS behaving badly

Post by RTH10260 »

El Paso officer accused of drunk driving in 2 hit-and-runs; fellow officers tried to cover-up

by Erika Esquivel
Thu, July 13th 2023, 7:06 PM GMT+2

EL PASO, Texas (KFOX14/CBS4) — One of the three El Paso police officers that were arrested in connection to two hit-and-run crashes in central El Paso in March of last year is accused of driving drunk.

The three officers arrested were identified as Isaac Menchaca, Enrique David Mendoza and Aaron Poblano.

The arrest affidavit stated Menchaca was the officer involved in the crash and the other officers, Mendoza and Poblano tried to prevent Menchaca from getting arrested.

The incident happened on March 5, 2022, on the 3000 block of Tularosa.

https://kfoxtv.com/news/local/el-paso-o ... on-poblano
sugar magnolia

COPS behaving badly

Post by sugar magnolia »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:00 pm
Culpeper County Sheriff indicted for accepting bribes says he's still in charge | NBC4 Washington
I'll see your Culpeper County sheriff and raise you our Hinds County sheriff.

JACKSON, Miss. —
New documents have been filed in the federal case against former Jackson city councilman and current candidate for sheriff Marshand Crisler.

A federal indictment unsealed in April accused him of accepting thousands of dollars in bribes from a convicted felon while he served as interim sheriff in late 2021. Prosecutors said Crisler promised this unnamed confidential informant a job and agreed to protect one of this person’s jailed family members.

The new document, called a superseding indictment, was filed June 6. It added Crisler promised the informant “protection from arrest and prosecution” if they were ever taken into custody for gun possession.

Convicted felons cannot possess firearms.

Another document filed is listed as the restricted and unredacted indictment and is not public.

Crisler’s trial is set for September. He said he refused to drop out of his second run for Hinds County sheriff and is on the ballot for the Aug. 8 primary election.

https://www.wapt.com/article/new-inform ... r/44400333

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”