Climate Change News

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Climate Change News

Post by raison de arizona »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:52 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:36 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:27 pm Our pool is so hot right now, it's unusable. There's nothing refreshing about it.
Can you beat this?
IMG_5327.jpeg
I'll check tomorrow but I bet I get pretty darn close. I know I've seen it at 95 and that was before the current heat wave.
:eek:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Climate Change News

Post by Volkonski »

The ocean temperatures near the south shore of Long Island are running in the mid 70s. LI Sound and the bay temperatures here are higher.

This is significant because American lobsters suffer in 70F+ water. They prefer temperatures between 54-64°F and avoid temperatures above 65°F.

Local LI lobsters are a thing of the past. :( Soon I fear that the only available lobsters will be those imported from Canada or caught in very deep waters well east of northern New England. The small shallow water lobster boats I remember growing up in Massachusetts are gone.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Dave from down under

Climate Change News

Post by Dave from down under »

Fisheries Climate Briefing #1: July-Sept 2023

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Climate Change News

Post by Foggy »

Well, somebody better bring another snowball to the floor of the United States Senate, because it's getting increasingly difficult to deny global warming weirding without looking like a moron.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
raison de arizona

Climate Change News

They're going to have to start renaming these 100-year, 500-year, 1000-year events at the rate things are going. They are just the new normal.
Frank Luntz @FrankLuntz wrote: Vermont is experiencing its second '100-year flood' within the past 12 years.
washingtonpost.com wrote: The exceedingly low odds of Vermont’s flooding disaster, visualized
A warming climate is fueling more extreme rain and floods across the U.S. The Vermont flooding this week was particularly improbable but increasingly likely.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Climate Change News

Post by AndyinPA »

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dave from down under

Climate Change News

Post by Dave from down under »

:thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Climate Change News

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -gas-firms
The summer’s heatwaves have been so blistering they have inspired their own names. In Europe they have been called nightmarish figures from Greek mythology, but one meteorologist in the US has taken a more pointed approach – by naming the country’s heatwaves after the oil and gas companies that have worsened the climate crisis.

The heatwave that has baked much of the US south-west in recent weeks, helping bring a record-breaking string of days over (43C) 110F to Phoenix, has been named Heatwave Chevron by Guy Walton, a veteran former Weather Channel meteorologist.

Walton, who now runs a blog on weather as well as writing a range of children’s books he calls “Harry Potter meets the climate crisis”, has already christened two previous heatwaves this summer Amoco and BP, after two other oil companies.

The rebadging of heatwaves as being directly the fault of companies like Chevron is “a naming and shaming thing”, according to Walton, who wants weather forecasters and the media to be more explicit between the links between extreme heat and the burning of fossil fuels that has caused the climate crisis.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Climate Change News

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Cool! I mean Hot Dog!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

Climate Change News

Who could have foreseen this coming?
pipistrelle

Climate Change News

Post by pipistrelle »

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Climate Change News

Post by keith »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:35 pm Their timing is off. It’s real.

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newsp ... 814.2.56.5
Yeahbut, coal and oil burning (especially oil), increased a lot faster than that 1912 analysis anticipated.

I remember reading an updated version of that analysis in the mid-60's. Can't remember if it was in "National Geographic" or "Scientific American". If it was early 60's I suppose it might even have been in "My Weekly Reader" or "Reader's Digest". But I was in grade school anyway.

In the same time-frame there was discussion of the population curve too.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
tek

Climate Change News

Post by tek »

Nothing to see here, move along
A series of thunderstorms that moved rapidly across Massachusetts on Friday battered the commonwealth, and they took no prisoners.
From Greenfield to Somerville, the storms swept across the state, dumping as much as 7 inches of rain on some areas, flooding basements and collapsing parts of roads. Downed electrical wires and trees, lightning strikes and even landslides were reported.
https://www.masslive.com/weather/2023/0 ... loods.html
raison de arizona

Climate Change News

More at the link.
Jeff Berardelli @WeatherProf wrote: Another day of astonishing heat in the shallow waters of Florida Bay & the Keys!! 99.1 F on the edge of the Everglades. Close to a global record. This water is murky/dark so it absorbs more radiation. But even if it's elevated, it shows just how intense this marine heatwave is 1/
Volkonski
Verified:

Climate Change News

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Climate Change News

Post by AndyinPA »

Very. Very. I just came to post a similar article from WaPo.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate- ... te-change/
Jim

Climate Change News

Post by Jim »

This could be HUUUUUUUUUGE!!!

First Room-Temperature Ambient-Pressure Superconductor Achieved, Claim Scientists

if the discovery as laid out in this paper is true, this could literally change the world. Like, discovery of the transistor huge.

- Batteries that are super-efficient and don't lose energy (THE breakthrough renewable energy needs)

- No loss of energy in electric transmission cables; which leads to continent to continent transmission cables. Think giant solar farms in Africa with electricity transported to Europe extremely efficiently.

- Besides basically eliminating the need for fossil fuels due to battery capability, we would get faster and more reliable electronics, more powerful electric engines that don't get hot, MagLev trains darting across the country at extreme efficiency, etc. etc. etc.

Not peer reviewed, needs to be replicated, all the other caveats. But honestly, we'll know in a few days if this is actually IT or not. The paper was published with 6 names, pulled, then republished with only 3 names because the Nobel Prize can only be split 3 ways. So these guys definitely think they've DONE IT.

This Princeton Physics Professor says this seems legit, and that his colleagues agree.

raison de arizona

Climate Change News

Wow, that could really be a game changer!
raison de arizona

Climate Change News

"100% coral mortality" found in coral reef restoration site off Florida as ocean temperatures soar

Coral reefs play a vital role in the overall health of the planet. And off the coast of Florida, they're in jeopardy, as the relentless heat continues.

The Coral Restoration Foundation said in one coral reef restoration site off the state's coast, the extreme temperatures have proved deadly.

"On July 20th, CRF teams visited Sombrero Reef, a restoration site we've been working at for over a decade. What we found was unimaginable — 100% coral mortality," said Phanor Montoya-Mayoa, a restoration program manager at the foundation who has a doctorate in biology. "We have also lost almost all the corals in the Looe Key Nursery in the Lower Keys."

Sombrero Reef is a protected area off the Florida Keys, just past Marathon. It's a popular site for snorkelers and divers as the area is home to star corals that are considered endangered under the Endangered Species Act. The Coral Restoration Foundation has been on a mission to restore the reef, spending years planting and protecting various corals.

But extreme heat is deadly for the ocean animals. When ocean temperatures become too warm, the algae that normally live within the coral's tissues come out, causing the animals to turn white. This is known as coral bleaching. While bleaching events aren't necessarily 100% fatal for reefs, they do place them under significantly more stress and make them vulnerable, especially to future bleaching events.
:snippity:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coral-reef ... peratures/
AndyinPA
Verified:

Climate Change News

Post by AndyinPA »

:crying:
Suranis

Climate Change News

Post by Suranis »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ros-cactus
Phoenix’s extreme heat withers saguaros, trademark cactus of desert landscape

After recording the warmest monthly average temperature for any American city ever in July, Phoenix climbed back up to dangerously high temperatures on Wednesday. That could mean trouble not just for people but for some of the region’s plants, too.

Residents across the sprawling metro are finding the extended extreme heat has led to fried flora. Nurseries and landscapers are inundated with requests for help with saguaros or fruit trees that are losing leaves.

Phones have been “ringing nonstop” about everything from a cactus to a citrus tree or ficus, said Sophia Booth, a landscape designer at Moon Valley Nursery. “A lot of people are calling and saying their cactus is yellowing really hard, fell over or like broken arms, that sort of thing. Twenty-year-old trees are losing all their leaves, or they’re turning a crisp brown.”

At the Desert Botanical Garden, three of the treasured institution’s more than 1,000 saguaro cactuses have toppled over or lost an arm in the last week, a rate that officials there say is highly unusual.

These saguaros, a towering trademark of the Sonoran Desert landscape, were already stressed from record-breaking heat three years ago, and this summer’s historic heat – the average temperature in Phoenix last month was 102.7F (39.3C) – turned out to be the cactus needle that broke the camel’s back.

Saguaros can live up to 200 years and grow as tall as 40ft (12 meters). Some in the Desert Botanical Garden date beyond its opening 85 years ago, and the largest there measure almost 30ft (9 meters), according to Kimberlie McCue, the garden’s chief science officer.

People commonly assume that cactuses are made to endure scorching heat, but even they can have their limits, McCue said. It wasn’t just this summer’s 31-day streak of highs at or above 110F (43.3C), but also the multiple nights when the low never dipped below 90F (32.2C). Night-time is when cactuses open their pores to get rid of retained water and take in carbon dioxide, she explained.
Extreme heat is killing Cactus. This is fine dot gif.
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Climate Change News

Post by RTH10260 »

"We Completely Underestimate How Bad Things Are Going To Get"

TYT Investigates
6 Aug 2023

Senator Sheldon Whitehouse issues a dire warning about the effects of climate change in an effective, brilliant speech. Whitehouse explains how things are getting seriously terrible on Earth by bringing up the amount of bizarre number of zettajoules we consume, the large number of fish dying, the hot temperature of the ocean and so much more. Whitehouse urges Congress to wake up and help solve climate change
Suranis

Climate Change News

Post by Suranis »

https://phys.org/news/2023-08-drought-h ... l-die.html
The Panama Canal, an engineering wonder allowing ships to travel between two oceans, is seeking to adapt to climate change after a biting drought has seen traffic and income dry up.

The canal relies on rainwater to move ships through a series of locks that function like water elevators, raising the vessels up and over the continent between the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans.

However, a water shortage due to low rainfall has forced operators to restrict the number of vessels passing through, which is likely to result in a $200 million drop in earnings in 2024 compared to this year, canal administrator Ricaurte Vasquez said Thursday.

The Pacific warming phenomenon known as El Niño, which can cause drought in some nations and flooding in others, is making the situation worse, meteorologists say.
The Panama Canal works because the rainfall into the Jungle above the Canal is never ending. Unfortunately, there has been a marked drop in rainfall this year. The Article goes on to say they have had to lower the maximum depth of vessels going through the Canal this year, so they are trying to look for solutions to this long term.
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Climate Change News

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
At the Desert Botanical Garden ...
Wow, there's a stab from the past. I spent several hours there in about 1985. Beautiful place, I went at about 7:30 a.m., long before the heat of the day, and I learned a ton of information just before I had to spend the day driving down to Tucson, which meant I enjoyed driving through the desert a lot more.

Sadly, I had rented a Lincoln Continental, having never driven one before. Curiosity didn't kill me (that was the cat :biggrin:) but it got me a truly crappy car. One ⭐, would not recommend.

I love the desert (we honeymooned in Anza-Borrego State Park), but it's too far from the ocean. I remain a beach rat, and always will.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
raison de arizona

Climate Change News

1,609 bozos signed onto this.
There is no
climate emergency

Climate science should be less political, while climate policies should be more
scientific. Scientists should openly address uncertainties and exaggerations in
their predictions of global warming, while politicians should dispassionately
count the real costs as well as the imagined benefits of their policy measures

Natural as well as anthropogenic factors cause warming
The geological archive reveals that Earth’s climate has varied as long as the
planet has existed, with natural cold and warm phases. The Little Ice Age
ended as recently as 1850. Therefore, it is no surprise that we now are experiencing a period of warming.

Warming is far slower than predicted
The world has warmed significantly less than predicted by IPCC on the basis
of modeled anthropogenic forcing. The gap between the real world and the
modeled world tells us that we are far from understanding climate change.

Climate policy relies on inadequate models
Climate models have many shortcomings and are not remotely plausible as
policy tools. They do not only exaggerate the effect of greenhouse gases, they
also ignore the fact that enriching the atmosphere with CO2 is beneficial.

CO2 is plant food, the basis of all life on Earth
CO2 is not a pollutant. It is essential to all life on Earth. More CO2 is favorable
for nature, greening our planet. Additional CO2 in the air has promoted growth
in global plant biomass. It is also profitable for agriculture, increasing the
yields of crops worldwide.

Global warming has not increased natural disasters
There is no statistical evidence that global warming is intensifying hurricanes,
floods, droughts and suchlike natural disasters, or making them more frequent.
However, there is ample evidence that CO2-mitigation measures are as damaging as they are costly.

Climate policy must respect scientific and economic realities
There is no climate emergency. Therefore, there is no cause for panic and
alarm. We strongly oppose the harmful and unrealistic net-zero CO2 policy
proposed for 2050. Go for adaptation instead of mitigation; adaptation works
whatever the causes are.

OUR ADVICE TO THE EUROPEAN LEADERS IS THAT SCIENCE SHOULD
STRIVE FOR A SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF THE CLIMATE
SYSTEM, WHILE POLITICS SHOULD FOCUS ON MINIMIZING POTENTIAL
CLIMATE DAMAGE BY PRIORITIZING ADAPTATION STRATEGIES BASED ON
PROVEN AND AFFORDABLE TECHNOLOGIES.
https://clintel.org/wp-content/uploads/ ... 081423.pdf

Return to “Climate Change”