Birther Summit USA, March 28-30, 2012

Lola_Getz

Postby Lola_Getz » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:39 pm

So, lemme get this straight - $44 (or $39) to attend an event in a venue that's free to attend (and partially owned by Obots, Mooslims and Commies) and nothing to show for it? Not even a box lunch on the day that the non-dignitaries are allowed to be there?What a rip...

I'm wondering if Dean's going to have a little posse of "patriots" there going around telling people who wander by "no, this is our part of the Mall, you can't come into this area without paying." Can they do that?

jtmunkus

Postby jtmunkus » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:45 pm

I've been thinking about applying for my own permit to demonstrate at the National Mall, on the exact same date.. I will Usurp the Scummit!

bob

Postby bob » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:49 pm

I'm wondering if Dean's going to have a little posse of "patriots" there going around telling people who wander by "no, this is our part of the Mall, you can't come into this area without paying." Can they do that?

It depends on the permit, but, yes, it is possible to obtain a permit that temporarily allows the permit holder to control access.

Reality Check

Postby Reality Check » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:00 pm

Somehow [link]this,http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2734&start=100&hilit=orly+protest+fox+news[/link] comes to mind:http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIcbFObZwymCgTcK2OVm1agsYdVFA75-sNzynPG8tddPC2nQG0&t=1
“The reality of what we really are is often times found in the small snips, way down at the bottom of things.” – Jean Shepherd

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Postby Dr. Kenneth Noisewater » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:00 pm

It depends on the permit, but, yes, it is possible to obtain a permit that temporarily allows the permit holder to control access.

If only we could get Triumph to poop on them

Lola_Getz

Postby Lola_Getz » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:02 pm

Somehow [link]this,http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2734&start=100&hilit=orly+protest+fox+news[/link] comes to mind:

Yeah, me too. Seems to me that any interested parties who weren't willing to pony up the $44 could just hover around the edges and still know what's going on.I don't think Dean's thought this one through.

bob

Postby bob » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:25 pm

Somehow [link]this,http://www.thefogbow.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2734&start=100&hilit=orly+protest+fox+news[/link] comes to mind:

Yeah, me too. Seems to me that any interested parties who weren't willing to pony up the $44 could just hover around the edges and still know what's going on.

And isn't that the the point of this event: To draw attention, to draw in new people? So I doubt they'll get the type of permit that allows access control, which means any freeloader can just wonder in (minus the birther schwag, of course).

(Oh: the fences at the Taitz/Manning protest were to prevent the protestors (all 3 of them) from impeding sidewalk traffic.)

I don't think Dean's thought this one through.

Haskins' first mistake was thinking that President Obama really isn't the president.... :-

Lola_Getz

Postby Lola_Getz » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:34 pm

And isn't that the the point of this event: To draw attention, to draw in new people? So I doubt they'll get the type of permit that allows access control, which means any freeloader can just wonder in

I'm getting a mental image of [link]Speaker's Corner,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker%27s_Corner[/link] in Hyde Park on a Sunday morning.

Dean and Orly standing on soapboxes, yelling at tourists.

A Legal Lohengrin

Postby A Legal Lohengrin » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:42 pm

I don't think Dean's thought this one through.

Why would he? This is never going to happen anyway.

Joseph Robidoux III

Postby Joseph Robidoux III » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:49 pm

Yeah, me too. Seems to me that any interested parties who weren't willing to pony up the $44 could just hover around the edges and still know what's going on.[highlight]I don't think Dean's thought this one through.[/highlight]

Not exactly a huge surprise.

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a collaborative facility run by the U.S. And Canada

Postby Kriselda Gray » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:53 pm

Any of you lawyerly types care to opine on what you would tell your client if he axed you if it was a good idea to do this?

If my client axed me, I imagine my response would depend on how good his or her aim was...

SueDB

Postby SueDB » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:57 pm

So, lemme get this straight - $44 (or $39) to attend an event in a venue that's free to attend (and partially owned by Obots, Mooslims and Commies) and nothing to show for it? Not even a box lunch on the day that the non-dignitaries are allowed to be there?What a rip...

:?: Where's the free lunch??? :shock: Will there be a hitch'en post, so they can tie up all the Super Scooters, Hoverounds, EagerBeavers and whatever else can haul their carcass??? :?:[edit]Got Hors Derves???[/edit]
You can follow the action, which gets you good pictures.
You can follow your instincts, which'll probably get you in trouble.
Or... you can follow the money - The Two Jakes -

Kriselda Gray
Location: FEMA Camp 2112 - a collaborative facility run by the U.S. And Canada

Postby Kriselda Gray » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:02 pm

So, birthers have to pay yet are not even welcome at the important stuff, but they can hear a speech given by the most boring man on the planet... a man who never said a word to the assembled supporters at BWI. Nice.

It is free to go to the National Mall. And Congress.In other words: registrants are paying for the hotel rooms of the "leaders."

Don't the organizers have to pay for some kind of a permit to use the mall, and/or pay for liability insurance in case someone is injured at their event? If that's the case (and I'm not sure if it is or not, which is why I posed it as a question) then the $39 would also help cover those costs - though I imagine $39 per person is still going to be wildly over the mark of what it would actually cost. (Or do they charge more per person for a smaller gathering. I know it's a lower risk with fewer people, but wouldn't you need more $$ per person to cover for it? Damn, it's a good thing I'm not in charge of anything like this! LOL

raicha

Postby raicha » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:17 pm

So, birthers have to pay yet are not even welcome at the important stuff, but they can hear a speech given by the most boring man on the planet... a man who never said a word to the assembled supporters at BWI. Nice.

It is free to go to the National Mall. And Congress.In other words: registrants are paying for the hotel rooms of the "leaders."

Don't the organizers have to pay for some kind of a permit to use the mall, and/or pay for liability insurance in case someone is injured at their event? If that's the case (and I'm not sure if it is or not, which is why I posed it as a question) then the $39 would also help cover those costs - though I imagine $39 per person is still going to be wildly over the mark of what it would actually cost. (Or do they charge more per person for a smaller gathering. I know it's a lower risk with fewer people, but wouldn't you need more $$ per person to cover for it? Damn, it's a good thing I'm not in charge of anything like this! LOL

Yes they have to pay for a permit. Yes, they have to pay for liability insurance and have proof in order to get the permit. They will also have to pay the actual costs for services by National Park employees and the police. The level of those services will depend on the estimated attendance at the event. So if they claim 100,000 will attend, they will pay for more police than if they estimate that 10 will attend. They must post a bond for the estimated cost. They may be required to spend money on port-a-potties or other services for the estimated crowd as a condition of the permit.Some costs are "fixed", like the permit application fee and don't change no matter how big the crowd is. Fixed costs would also include any minimum services required for an event. For example, if it is policy to assign 2 police officers to every event, no matter how small, the first 2 officers are a "fixed cost". Other services are "variable" if they are pegged to the size of the crowd.An organization I work with closes city streets every year for an event. We pay $8,000 a year in police and public works costs to do that. If we charged $39 per person, we would need 205 people, minimum, before we "break even".If the birthers get 20 to pay, it would be noteworthy.

jtmunkus

Postby jtmunkus » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:56 pm

National Mall & Memorial Parks [/break1]nps.gov/nama/planyourvisit/feesandreservations.htm]http://www.nps.gov/nama/planyourvisit/f ... ations.htmPermits The National Mall and Memorial Parks Division of Park Programs, located at 900 Ohio Drive SW, Washington DC 20024, issues approximately 4,000 permits per year, including those for public gatherings (special events and demonstrations), and filming and photography. The permit system is intended to help assure, to the extent possible, that the multitude of activities that may be taking place on any given day will not conflict with each other or with general visitor activities.Park areas administered by this office include National Mall and Memorial Parks, President’s Park, Rock Creek Park, National Capital Parks-East, George Washington Memorial Parkway, Manassas National Battlefield Park, Wolf Trap National Park for the Performing Arts, Prince William Forest Park, Ford's Theatre National Historic Site, and the portion of Chesapeake and Ohio Canal National Historical Park from Georgetown to the Monocacy River Aqueduct. Note that some of these listed parks may directly issue certain permits. Please refer to the attached document link titled "How and where to apply for specific types of permits" to determine what office you should contact for your particular permit needs.[highlight=#ffff40]Please note that all applications, unless determined to be a First Amendment activity, must be accompanied by a $50.00 payment for initial processing.[/highlight]Fees & Reservations The park itself has no fees or reservations associated with a visit. However for planned events dependent upon the activity and number of participants a permit may be required. Please refer to the permits section to find out more information. Reservations for the Washington Monument are accepted though not neccesary. More information on these reservations can be found at the Washington Monument web page.

My guess is that they don't plan to have permits. 1) why pay? (we know they're all cheapskates).. 2) they know no one will be there anyway (except Jesus H. Corsi and his 12 disciples). 3) the birther movement is above the law - especially after they "declare" themselves "constitutionally dependent." (<---"co-dependent"?)

bob

Postby bob » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:05 pm

My guess is that they don't plan to have permits. 1) why pay? 2)they know no one will be there anyway. 3) the birther movement is above the law - especially after they "declare" themselves "constitutionally dependent." (<---"co-dependent"?)

Small groups sometimes go permitless, chancing that the government will consider it too much of hassle to shut them down.Those groups, however, are often "leaderless," to confuse the authorities. They don't have someone proudly proclaiming the "Executive Director"-ship at every opportunity.

DJW

Postby DJW » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:07 pm

What constitutes a "First Amendment activity?" Are there any specific guidelines? Do such activities still have to take out liability insurance, etc?

jtmunkus

Postby jtmunkus » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:12 pm

What constitutes a "First Amendment activity?" Are there any specific guidelines? Do such activities still have to take out liability insurance, etc?

bob

Postby bob » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:22 pm

What constitutes a "First Amendment activity?" Are there any specific guidelines?

In general, what is not "First Amendment activity": Ceremonies (weddings, etc.), gatherings (picnics, etc.), and commerical use (filming a movie, etc.).

Of course, one would argue there is a protected First Amendment activity is all those activities.... :-

But weddings and picnics aren't allowed on the mall, so really if it is a "demonstration," then it is protected First Amendment activity.

Do such activities still have to take out liability insurance, etc?

Yes.

[hidden]Check out question 11![/hidden]

Myron

Postby Myron » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:24 pm

Yeah, me too. Seems to me that any interested parties who weren't willing to pony up the $44 could just hover around the edges and still know what's going on.I don't think Dean's thought this one through.

I think Dean has thought this through.He's getting a free vacation to DC where he will be treated like a kingmaker by the other promiment birthers, thus making him King of **** Mountain.He has given himself scads of time to grift. Let's say he gets 110 people to send him $44 bucks via paypal. (Note: this doesn't mean that 110 people will show up. But it's possible that he will set the all time birther gathering record and get...I dunno...60 people there).That's nearly $5K. How much can a meeting room at a Holiday Inn in Arlington cost? He's going to have a grand old time in our nation's capital and probably walk away with a few thousand in his pocket.

Vice President Maru

Postby Vice President Maru » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:28 pm

And isn't that the the point of this event: To draw attention, to draw in new people? So I doubt they'll get the type of permit that allows access control, which means any freeloader can just wonder in

I'm getting a mental image of [link]Speaker's Corner,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker%27s_Corner[/link] in Hyde Park on a Sunday morning.

Dean and Orly standing on soapboxes, yelling at tourists.

Excect its during tgevwekk in March. All the touridts start srrivinf arround Cherry Blossom time.

They can dell st eacj other.

bob

Postby bob » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:36 pm

Excect its during tgevwekk in March. All the touridts start srrivinf arround Cherry Blossom time.They can dell st eacj other.

Too many delicious Fogblow cocktails?

Reality Check

Postby Reality Check » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:41 pm

Excect its during tgevwekk in March. All the touridts start srrivinf arround Cherry Blossom time.They can dell st eacj other.

Thank doG, I thought it was me. :lol:
“The reality of what we really are is often times found in the small snips, way down at the bottom of things.” – Jean Shepherd

raicha

Postby raicha » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:49 pm

The permit fee may be waived for a First Amendment activity, but parks cost and public safety requirements won't be.They'll need insurance and they'll have to pay for personnel.

BFB

Postby BFB » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:04 pm

I thought I was having a stroke.

Return to “Miscellaneous”