Weather Alerts

MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Many years ago when I visited Phoenix with my husband, I remember the gift shops having a skeleton reclining on a beach chair with a drink in hand, and underneath it said "But it's a dry heat."

My one vivid memory of that trip was when we went into a large drug store to get an ice cream cone. When we came out of the store, the strong wind acted like a hair blower on my ice cream cone. Not only did it sudden flow down my hand, it also got embedded with dirt/sand being blown by that strong wind. Dang!
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Weather Alerts

Post by raison de arizona »

Volkonski wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:57 pm Very low humidity might result in a heat index 2 or 3 degrees F lower than the air temperature. ;)
Right now on my porch humidity is 28% and the temperature is 107F, which gives a heat index of 114 F / 45 C. Apparently.

Humidity is a bit high right now, it's more typically in the 15-20% range.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Lani

Weather Alerts

Post by Lani »

Hawaii 2040: Climate Change Is Already Here. And We’re Running Out Of Time
Scientists predict the worst will hit in about 21 years. But Hawaii is already feeling the effects of a warming planet. What are we going to do about it?
https://www.civilbeat.org/2019/01/hawai ... t-of-time/
Scientists warn that most of this coastal highway — and many miles of similar roads throughout Hawaii — will soon be underwater due to rising seas, stronger storms and extreme flooding.

Giant sandbags are already heaped in front of houses teetering on the shoreline. And huge rocks and hunks of concrete line the most perilous portions, a desperate attempt to save parts of some routes while lasting solutions are contemplated.

The climate is changing, faster than ever. Imperiled infrastructure is only the most apparent front in the Aloha State’s war against a warming planet. Similar battles are unfolding throughout the islands.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Weather Alerts

Post by keith »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 4:20 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:23 pm It's hot in Phoenix. We've had 11 consecutive days of 110+ temperatures. The record is 18 days, which we are forecasted to beat next week, no relief in sight.
But it's a dry heat. :lol: ;)
Not in Phoenix, it ain't. Tucson is where its dry(er).

I'm afraid to look up Tucson's temperatures, but Phx is usually hotter (and more humid) than Tucson.

ETA: Tucson is only gonna be in the 100 to 105 range for the next 14 days. :thumbsup:
If they tell you I fell off the bed and hung myself, I didn't.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

From time to time, people have said this whimp in hot weather should move to somewhere like AZ (or maybe the SE). Um, no.

I don't care if it's a dry heat, a wet heat, or cat in heat

Just no.
101010 :towel:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Weather Alerts

Post by keith »

northland10 wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:45 am From time to time, people have said this whimp in hot weather should move to somewhere like AZ (or maybe the SE). Um, no.

I don't care if it's a dry heat, a wet heat, or cat in heat

Just no.
Most Michiganders (aka 'Snowbirds') only spend winters in Arizona.

That said, Tucson on any day of the year is more comfortable than Jackson Michigan on The Fourth of July. (Gawd that was a shitty day)
If they tell you I fell off the bed and hung myself, I didn't.
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

I like winter in Michigan, especially up north. With all the fudgies gone, it's quiet and calm.
raison de arizona

Weather Alerts

🌞 Henry Swenson 🌱 @HenrySwenson wrote: Ludlow, Vermont completely washed out from this flood. Feel free to use footage and pictures attached
@weatherchannel @JimCantore @accuweather @Eweather13 @WeatherNation @MyNBC5 @ReedTimmerAccu @StephanieAbrams @rawsalerts @WCVB @VermonsterWx @OkemoMountain @MatthewCappucci
Moar: https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-c ... 72909.html
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Off Topic
A swiss solution in one city: overflow of the river thru city lowered roads and raised sidewalks out of the other end of the village back into the original bed. The small river flowed thru the old city center, but at the top entry there was a narrow beneath one house (possibly was a mill in earlier times). When a rainstorm passed thru the upper valley it used to overflow and flood downstream.
The city of Langenthal is the centre of the Oberaargau. When walking around and exploring "Langatun" (the Celtic name of the city when it was first mentioned), you will soon come across the city’s trademark: the raised sidewalks. They were originally built to guide the "Langete" stream through the alleys during floods before a relief tunnel was built in 1992 to solve the flood problem. Langenthal offers a wide range of cultural activities, a vibrant weekly farmer's market, sporting and cultural events, and cozy restaurants and cafés.

https://www.bern.com/en/detail/oberaargau
ps. in the 1990s they built a large channel underground that now takes the flood waters around the city. Water in the streets no longer happens.
raison de arizona

Weather Alerts

More flooding forecast for Vermont.
Craig Ceecee, Ph.D. @CC_StormWatch wrote: This is just frightening for Montpelier. The Winooski is nearly at Irene levels now and rapidly rising. The crest is now forecast to hit nearly 23 feet - which would put downtown under 4 to 7 feet of #flood water. This is going to be devastating for Vermont's capital. #VTwx
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

Parts of Chicago land, including Chicago, are under a flood watch now. Last week's rain was heavy on them. We don't have one up hear though we are supposed to get thunderstorms with heavy rain.
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

And the tornado sirens just went off. Where I am is not actually in the area under the tornado warning, but it would be close enough to run sirens up here. I have all my bad weather toys ready to go just in case and am watching the radars very closely.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Good luck!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

We only got some rain here. I expected at least some lighting or thunder since the main part was south of us but it fell apart.
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

The haters are going to have a mad. In the Chicago area, even our tornados fly rainbow flags.
rainbow tornado.jpg
rainbow tornado.jpg (46.47 KiB) Viewed 1238 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
miss meh

Weather Alerts

Post by miss meh »

northland10 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:44 pm And the tornado sirens just went off. Where I am is not actually in the area under the tornado warning, but it would be close enough to run sirens up here. I have all my bad weather toys ready to go just in case and am watching the radars very closely.
I was driving past O'Hare just before 7pm, sirens were going off in Bensenville but I didn't see anything & didnt realize til about 9 that a tornado had actually touched down just after 7, but it was at the north end of O'Hare near Rosemont.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Weather Alerts

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

miss meh wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:16 pm
northland10 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:44 pm
Hi, missmeh! Glad you and N10 avoided being taken to Oz by the tornado!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:10 am
miss meh wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:16 pm
northland10 wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:44 pm
Hi, missmeh! Glad you and N10 avoided being taken to Oz by the tornado!
More so for miss meh. She was way closer to the excitement than I ever was.

In high school, for 2 weeks, I was Oz, the Great and Terrible. One night, that show included the rope on my balloon breaking and having the basket fall 10-12 feet back to the floor, with me in it. I was okay (thank doG for double pullies), I improvised a line about how we will never get back to Kansas now, and the show went on. It is probably what I am remembered for best. People I knew from back then still mention it.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Weather Alerts

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Wow, N10! You got to do your own stunts!!!!! And folks think Tom Cruise is special!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

Oh what fun it is living down here in SW Florida... :roll:

95°F
Partly sunny
RealFeel® 121°
Max UV Index 12 Extreme
Humidity 58%

I think all these people flocking to move here didn't perform their due-diligence. Ain't the "paradise" the slick home sales brochures portray.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

It’s. Too. Fucking. Hot!!!!
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Had friends of a friend who loved to golf in Tucson in the winters, and decided that would be the place to retire from here. Hated being cooped up in the winter, they said. Moved there and learned that in Tucson you get to be cooped up in the summer. Didn't do their homework. :cantlook:

I've only been there in April, and it was lovely.

I have never preferred heat over cold, and I assumed as I got older that would change. I guess there are snowbirds for a reason. But I still prefer a nice cold day over a hot one any time. You can always add layers. You can only take so much off.
miss meh

Weather Alerts

Post by miss meh »

Thanks to all who responded! More storms due tonite but hopefully no more twisters.

Return to “General Stuff”