Gay Marriage / LGBTQ Rights / Equality Act

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

That map is going the wrong way! :cry:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
shannon
Verified:

Post by shannon »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:09 pm That map is going the wrong way! :cry:
I know. The advice for transgender people is not even to take a flight that goes over Florida or has a connecting flight there, due to their laws targeting transgender people, and fact that medical professionals can *refuse* to treat anyone who's transgender for whatever reason.

The irony is, up until recently, Florida had the second largest population of transgender people in the US, and both Miami and Tampa had medical tourism clinics for people in transition. Now, anyone who can get out, is getting out, in an exodus that would be seen as a human rights crisis if it was any other country. (and this is happening, to a lesser extent, all though red states.)
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Mad Geoscientist GRADUATE STUDENT in Training
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I hate this state more every day. If Hubs wasn't undergoing clinical trials/cancer treatment at Moffitt in Tampa, we'd have moved to NM by now.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:07 pm I hate this state more every day. If Hubs wasn't undergoing clinical trials/cancer treatment at Moffitt in Tampa, we'd have moved to NM by now.
I leave for my next assignment on Monday from D.C., and sometime either on my next home leave next summer, or the one after that (the summer of either '26 or '27 depending on whether my next assignment after this 1-year assignment about to start is a 2 or 3 year gig), I'm likely to sell my SoFla condo and relocate to NH. My son lives just north of the MA-NH line an hour from Boston, and I may just throw money at him from my condo sale and my monthly budget (which will decrease by 900 bucks or so in combined mortgage and condo/HOA fees) to get a bigger place for him and his sweetie and save me a bedroom for my exclusive storage and home leave use. Amusingly, NH and TX (Austin, specifically) were my original choices to move in my late 20s the first time I got sick of SoFla (for personal rather than political reasons) -- but I could not afford the latter and my son's mother had just moved her household up to the former, and I didn't want her to take my presence there as violation of our deal to back off and let her parent on her terms, so I sacrificed the Granite State dream for my son. Dreams delayed are not dreams denied, I guess. :)
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
shannon
Verified:

Post by shannon »

So basically, right wing asshole state Attorney Generals are now after Target, claiming that:
  • * Pride-themed merchandise aimed towards youth is de-facto obscene and is "sexualizing children".
    * Selling said merchandise is unprofitable, and is therefore a breach of the company's "fiduciary duty".
(Erin in the Morning) Republican AGs Declare LGBTQ+ Merchandise May Be Obscene
"Republican attorneys general from seven states have signed a letter to Target, insinuating that the retailer's LGBTQ+ youth content and merchandise may be considered obscene and in violation of law. The letter criticizes Target for offering youth-sized clothing featuring Pride themes and asserts that the states are obliged to “enforce state laws protecting children” from “content that sexualizes them,” including obscenity laws. The letter also suggests that Target may be breaching the law by making decisions that are allegedly “unprofitable” and not in the best interests of its shareholders, citing this as a violation of the company's fiduciary duty.

The letter, which is six pages long, does not provide specific details regarding potential legal consequences if Target continues to sell the merchandise in question. Notably, this follows a wave of bills introduced in various states that aim to ban LGBTQ+ content under obscenity laws, including measures to ban drag, ban books with LGBTQ+ characters, and restrict LGBTQ+ content in schools and libraries."
The letter doesn't go into what laws Target is theoretically breaking, but that's not the point. The point is to get Target, and other companies, too scared to sell Pride month-themed merchandise in the future. (And let's get real, if it wasn't profitable to these companies, they wouldn't sell it.)

I will also note that the push to label anything LBGTQ+ related, including Pride flags and colors, strongly echo laws that authoritarian leaders like Orban and Putin have been enshrining in Hungary and Russia. Not a surprise, since the GOP loves both Orban and Putin, and are fapping themselves raw over the idea of having the same type of authoritarian rule in the US.

So the assholes signing on to this are:

Todd Rokita - Indiana Attorney General
Tim Griffin - Arkansas Attorney General
Raul Labrador - Idaho Attorney General
Daniel Cameron - Kentucky Attorney General
Lynn Fitch - Mississippi Attorney General
Andrew Bailey - Missouri Attorney General
Alan Wilson - South Carolina Attorney General

Todd Rokita in particular is trying to make transgender care de-facto illegal in that state, no matter what age the person is, banning it outright for youth, and placing so many restrictions and hoops on it for adults that it becomes impossible to access.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Arkansas :bag:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona

The rainbows get them all hot and bothered.

What sacks of shit they are.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Pride products sexualize children? Good grief! Just look at the little girls toys and clothes! You can find all sorts of products and clothes that make a little girl look like a 21-year old glamour girl - Make up, bikinis, etc. Main Street has been sexualizing little girls for decades. A lot of mothers don’t like that little girls clothes are more revealing than little boys clothes.

And give us POCKETS! Real pockets which hold keys and phones like men’s pockets! (Sorry, not about sexualizing children, just one of my pet peeves. The older my jeans are, the more functional their pockets are.) Never mind.
raison de arizona

I'd rather protect kids from this than from rainbows.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Ben-Prime wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:37 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:22 pm Discrimination is always ok if it's you doing the discriminating and not the one being discriminated against. :?

Back in 2009 it was a real issue at the Minneapolis airport where a number of the taxi drivers were Muslims. Some of them refused to carry passengers who were carrying alcohol, or sometimes pets. It was because of sincerely held religious beliefs. I haven't heard of the issue lately, but I wonder if the cabbies will now try to re-assert that claim with the Supreme Court sanctioning discrimination.

An old article about the issue - Somali Taxi Drivers in Minnesota in Dispute Over Passengers with Pets, Alcohol
You will see the argument made that unlike a regular business permit, a Taxi license is in more government limited supply and comes with certain government blessings, therefore taxi drivers can't discriminate. :shrug:

Call an Uber.
shannon
Verified:

Post by shannon »

Bad: A panel of judges at the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, in a 2-1 rulling, upheld Tennessee's ban on transgender care.

Worse: The majority said that transgender care was not "deeply rooted in the nation's history or traditions,” thus not protected by the United States Constitution. They also said it didn't amount to sexual discrimination.

Oh Fuck: They cited the Dobbs decision overturning Roe v Wade no less than nine times.

Next step, having the full circuit court hear the case. Which means that, win or lose, it's more than likely going to end up at the Supreme Court on the "shadow docket". And we know what the right wing assholes on the corrupt Roberts court will more than likely do.

(Erin in the Morning) 6th Circuit Judges Cite Dobbs Abortion Ruling To Uphold TN Trans Care Ban
"The three-judge panel, all Republican appointees, invoked the Dobbs abortion ban Supreme Court decision repeatedly throughout their ruling. They upheld the gender affirming care ban's legality, asserting transgender care is not “deeply rooted in the nation's history or traditions,” thus not protected by the United States Constitution. The judges also maintained that the prohibitions would not equate to sex discrimination, a viewpoint hotly contested by dissenting Judge Helene White.

In contrast to the majority, Judge White's dissenting opinion highlighted the panel's lack of engagement with the extensive factual findings surrounding gender-affirming care, its departure from constitutional precedent, and its departure from every other federal court that has heard similar cases.

This ruling distinguishes the 6th Circuit Court from its counterparts. So far, other judges across the country, including those from the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals, have held these bans as likely infringing on the U.S. constitution. The breaking of precedent and departure from other federal courts is a new development, bringing these laws ever-closer to the United States Supreme Court."
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:03 pm Drama, Hannity and friends are going to go all in on this tonight.
Jesus ‘Had Two Dads’—Church Recitation of ‘Sparkle Creed’ Draws Criticism

A clip of a progressive Lutheran church reciting the “Sparkle Creed,” a version of the Apostle’s Creed modified to emphasize LGBTQ+ inclusion, caused controversy online this week, with critics characterizing it as “idolatry,” “heresy,” and “absolute insanity.”

:snippity:
I too have problems with the sparkle creed.

God is not 'non binary', God and sexual connotations of any kind are a complete non-sequitor. God's pronouns are "it". Possibly "they" if you insist on the Trinity (but it isn't a person let alone 3 in 1), but it's aspects include a lot more than three possibilities

Other than that, it seems pretty saccharine to me.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
shannon
Verified:

Post by shannon »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:59 am
A certain amount of this makes sense. However, I suspect there's another aspect as well.

The far and alt-right worships at the temple of toxic masculinity. Many of their rants are warning against "emasculation" and touting so-called "alpha males". Even the figures that are rather less than buff (like donald trump), get made up in their fanfic as these ultra muscular buffed up he-men of he-men. Notice how much they adore putin for his public image of buff masculinity, or how they hold to macho images of the Spartans in Ancient Greece and Rome. Everything is cast as being in service to the almighty sacred penis of manly macho manhood.

Transmen and Drag Kings? They're dismissed as cute. "Oh, look, they're pretending to be men! Isn't that ADORABLE??" Their only main objection seems to be if a transman removes objects of their sexual interest (breasts) or makes themselves incapable of bearing the next generation of manly male men. Otherwise, they're dismissed as cute but harmless, girls playing dress up.

But someone who was AMAB?? Someone who is male but dresses as a woman? Or far, far worse, someone who gives up their sacred manhood, figuratively or literally emasculates themselves, who takes on by choice the role of a "lesser" like a woman.

They're evil incarnate. Demons. Predators. Unclean and unholy attacks upon the temple of toxic masculinity. And therefore should have the full righteous fury cast upon them to be driven out or destroyed. Because they' see transwomen and drag queens to be a threat to their own masculinity and the very toxic ideals they hold so sacred.

It would be almost pathetic if it wasn't for the fact that people are going to get killed or otherwise die due to their stupid hatred.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

patgund wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:39 pm But someone who was AMAB?? Someone who is male but dresses as a woman? Or far, far worse, someone who gives up their sacred manhood, figuratively or literally emasculates themselves, who takes on by choice the role of a "lesser" like a woman.
Yep.

Dovetail this with a hierarchical view of ethics : There is one right way to think, one best way to be. When groups of people display other wants and values, they need some mechanism for resolving the paradox. Either they are on the right path, or the other person is on the right path, and the idea of the later is really scary since it would mean they are not as smart and superior as they believe since, if they were, others would also be looking up to their ideals.

It all loops back to a diminished theory of mind. They struggle to picture ways of thinking other than their own, you can not have more than one answer if you are the only thinking entity and everyone else is just a mirror of yourself.
shannon
Verified:

Post by shannon »

Why do I suspect that "Advancing Our Values" is a desantis front group?

(Erin In The Morning) Deceptive Mailers Thank Trump For "Trans Rights"—His Record Was Abysmal
"The misleading mailer, first noticed by conservative talk show host Steven Deace, portrayed former President Donald Trump as "pro-LGBTQ+" for welcoming Log Cabin Republicans to his Mar-a-Lago resort and permitting a transgender contestant to participate in the Miss Universe pageant. The mailer seems to be funded by an obscure organization named "Advancing Our Values," which has adopted measures to veil the identities of the campaign supporters backing it"

(Snip)

"As the Iowa caucus looms six months away, it's uncertain whether the DeSantis campaign will continue to propagate the notion of Trump as a pro-LGBTQ+ advocate. Based on recent interactions with potential presidential contenders, it appears that LGBTQ+ issues may take center stage in the ensuing debates. Governor Nikki Haley, another presidential hopeful, recently sparked controversy by implying that transgender youth contribute to the suicidal ideation of teenage girls merely by participating in sports. Simultaneously, Governor Mike Pence's campaign has declared their intent to launch a national campaign against policies that affirm transgender identities in schools.

Trapped in this escalating political discourse are the transgender individuals who have already confronted over 500 legislative bills targeting every aspect of their lives. They now face the prospect of witnessing Republicans vying over the severity of their policies toward the community throughout the presidential election cycle."
shannon
Verified:

Post by shannon »

So Donald Trump is now claiming that "on day one" of his next administration, he'll issue an executive order forbidding gender affirmative care for minors.

Or, for that matter, adults as well. Basically where him and DeSantis agree - they want to make being transgender pretty much impossible.

Because they would far rather have dead Americans than live transgender ones.

shannon
Verified:

Post by shannon »

And, thanks to the Supreme Court, this woman's right to be a hateful bigot is supported.

Owner bans some LGBTQ customers from Michigan hair salon over pronouns. ‘Not welcome’
“If a human identifies as anything other than a man/woman, please seek services at a local pet groomer,” the hair salon owner said. “You are not welcome at this salon. Period.”
Note the dehumanization. And, in case you're wondering, the "some LBGTQ+" she's banning are the TQ+ part of it.
"She said she has no issue with lesbian, gay or bisexual customers, but said she will not support the “TQ+” community."
The right has been trying hard to separate the "LGB" out from "TQ+". It's aimed to try and divide the community and deny allies to the groups their demonizing.

Here's a FB Post about it. In comments, she doubles down by claiming that "TQ+" stands for pedophiles.
"Christine Geiger
I have no issues with LGB. It’s the TQ+ that I’m not going to support. For those that don’t know what the + is for, it’s for MAP (Minor Attracted Person aka: pedophile) This stance was taken to insure that clients have the best experience and I am admitting that since I am not willing to play the pronoun game or cater to requests outside of what I perceive as normal this probably isn't the best option for that type of client.
There are over 800 licensed stylists in the County. There are plenty of salons/stylists willing to cater to what I will not. This is a free country and I am not a slave to any narrative.
Conservatives need to acclimate these woke individuals to their new reality. Conservatives have HAD ENOUGH of their ideologies being projected onto us.
We used to “just let them be”. Most of us kept our opinions to ourselves. I mean why look for unnecessary conflict; right? Well the other side used this against us. They mistook our silence for weakness and look where it got us.
So now many of us bark back we speak out and we make it CLEAR where we stand on these issues. They can’t handle it. They aren’t prepared for this. So I am more than willing to take the first rounds of strike backs in hopes that more of you will see this and be inspired to stand up tall and speak your own truths and not simply let them be."
By "acclimate these woke individuals" I presume she means "force back into the closet or be ground under the heel of fascism"
raison de arizona

What a horrid person. I’m infuriated that people like this are being empowered by SCOTUS.
raison de arizona

Lots of polarized reviews.
IMG_5323.jpeg
IMG_5323.jpeg (109.91 KiB) Viewed 3234 times
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... tid=LQQJ4d
Resume18

Post by Resume18 »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:38 pm Lots of polarized reviews.
IMG_5323.jpeg
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... tid=LQQJ4d
My deeply-held personal humanist convictions suggest to me that Amber Faith is FoS; while she may indeed have religious convictions, she isn't keeping them personal but foisting them in a bigoted manner. What happened to "hate the sin, love the sinner," or is it just so much handwaving? It seems to me just a jerking motion, if I'm honest.
Like as the waves make towards the pebbled shore,
So do our minutes hasten to their end . . .
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:yeahthat:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona

Acyn @Acyn wrote: [Rep. Matt] Rosendale [R-MT]: We have drag shows at Malmstrom Air Force Base. There are 150 ICBM missiles that are being controlled by that Air Force Base and by these individuals. I do not want someone who doesn’t know if they are a man or a woman with their hand on a missile button
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:14 pm https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1679566 ... 03714?s=20
Acyn @Acyn wrote: [Rep. Matt] Rosendale [R-MT]: We have drag shows at Malmstrom Air Force Base. There are 150 ICBM missiles that are being controlled by that Air Force Base and by these individuals. I do not want someone who doesn’t know if they are a man or a woman with their hand on a missile button
If only he knew how I disapprove members of Congress that don't know if they are stupid or not :twisted:

ps. is Rosendale really happy with an impotus like the former guy who held the real key to trigger WW3 :?:
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:14 pm
Odds that he'd be okay with someone who has a problem with alcohol, assaulting sexual partners, and occasional tax cheating as someone pushing that button, though?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"

Return to “Current Politics”