Weather Alerts

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Weather Alerts

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:yeahthat:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Radio reports that smoke from the Canadian wild fires now affecting the midwest will move into PA and NYC later this week. :(
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I woke up to an AQI of 245 this morning (Indianapolis). It's cleared slightly since then but it's still smoky looking outside. I have generally well controlled asthma and had to run out for a prescription. I was outside for less than 5 minutes and my lungs are still hurting over an hour later. We were going to grill tonight but I put a vat of chili on instead.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Wildfire smoke live updates: Air quality alerts issued in 20 US states

https://abcnews.go.com/US/live-updates/ ... =100434871
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:04 am Radio reports that smoke from the Canadian wild fires now affecting the midwest will move into PA and NYC later this week. :(
It's already here. I had to meet with my estate attorney this morning. I took the T (railway/subway) into downtown. It was awful, and I didn't feel well when I got home. She wore a mask. I have to be out most of the day tomorrow. I will also be wearing a mask tomorrow.

Edited to add: It was just on the news that one family's smoke detector went off this morning. Their AC wasn't working, so their windows were open. The fire department confirmed it. :eek:

Edited again: My lungs didn't feel so great when I got up this morning. We are into purple alert today, worse than yesterday's red alert. Staying home. It's supposed to ease tomorrow, so will try again tomorrow. Just didn't seem smart to go out today.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Weather Alerts

Post by Maybenaut »

It’s miserable here in Western Virginia. Can’t see the Shenandoah National Park, which is just across the valley. We had some weather last week that tamped down the smoke somewhat, but it’s back.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... t-strategy
Dustan Mueller had come to expect the unexpected. The US Forest Service deputy fire chief had been deployed thousands of miles from home to battle an out-of-control blaze in the wooded bogs and swampland of Alberta, Canada.

In the dry moisture-hungry forests of northern California he was used to, a favorably-timed rainstorm would likely mean an end to the fire. But in this marshy terrain, even a late-spring storm could do little to slow the flames: two days after being doused, the conflagration roared back to life, churning through thick bands of desiccated moss and the stands of black spruce and aspen.

“It is nothing like what we have in California,” said Mueller, now back in the US after leading an American team of federal wildland firefighters to tag in on one of the 2,765 fires that have erupted in Canada this year. “The trees are like little matchsticks – and just as flammable.”

Canada is in the midst of a record-shattering fire season that has left more than 14m acres charred and stretched emergency resources to the limit – with months to go before the season ends.
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

I feel bad for those of you who are being subjected to the awful air quality coming down from Canada.

I feel even worse for you knowing that in a few days not only will you have smoke and haze coming from Canada, but your fellow U.S.ians will be choking your lungs with foul and toxic smoke from fireworks.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

It occurred to me last night that going to an abandoned coal power plant in mid-Michigan when the AQI was 207 might not have been the brightest idea I've ever had. Thankfully, today and tomorrow are work from home (Tuesday should have also been WFH, but my dear friend and now co-worker had their car in the shop and finally got it back yesterday, 5 days late - I was their ride for two weeks). Today we hit 244.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Weather Alerts

Post by raison de arizona »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:16 pm It occurred to me last night that going to an abandoned coal power plant in mid-Michigan when the AQI was 207 might not have been the brightest idea I've ever had. Thankfully, today and tomorrow are work from home (Tuesday should have also been WFH, but my dear friend and now co-worker had their car in the shop and finally got it back yesterday, 5 days late - I was their ride for two weeks). Today we hit 244.
NPR educated me this morning that going out in an AQI of 200 is the equivalent of smoking half a pack of cigarettes. FWIW.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Patagoniagirl

Weather Alerts

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Azastan wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:58 pm I feel bad for those of you who are being subjected to the awful air quality coming down from Canada.

I feel even worse for you knowing that in a few days not only will you have smoke and haze coming from Canada, but your fellow U.S.ians will be choking your lungs with foul and toxic smoke from fireworks.
Yes, this too! The air quality here is horrible. As to fireworks, the county humane society started a July 4 picnic. Instead of buying fireworks, you can go have a lovely picnic with loving dogs for the price of a bag of dog food and/or cleaning supplies.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

My bio-father was a three+ pack/day smoker. I lived with him for a summer, except weekends, while working as an engineering intern. I lost a good portion of my sense of smell, had a bloody nose for over a year, and developed a benign tumor in the other nostril (making site visits to coal plants caused the tumor to flare - I was scheduled for surgery when Covid hit). I'm guessing the AQI was somewhere around 400-500 in his apartment.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Weather Alerts

Post by johnpcapitalist »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:48 pm Image
Hey, I recognize that... We were there just four short weeks ago and rode that very incline up to Grandview Avenue, walked across to the Monongahela Incline and took that back down. It was brilliantly clear that we were there. Of course, this is probably what Pittsburgh looked like on a good day in the steel era when the inclines were built.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

When I was attending Carnegie Mellon in the mid-90s, the Pittsburgh night skies were still orange.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

We had a storm blow through here last night and our AQI is at 28 this morning. Yay!

That storm came up fast though. The grandkids were at the subdivision pool and when I saw how fast it was moving I hightailed it down there to get them. By the time I got there the wind was already starting to howl. We lost a couple of small trees up the street from me but I haven't seen any other damage. The trees were both Bradford Pears, which are now considered an invasive species in Indiana, so there won't be much crying over their loss.

An update on that tornado from Sunday. On our way out to the highway yesterday we found a secondary damage path that's about a mile south of where the Sunday tornado ended. That funnel was tracking northeast at the time. I haven't heard if they think it was the same tornado but it would have been a big jump in the wrong direction. The damage along this section was mostly to trees but there were 3 or 4 large oak and maple trees that look like the trunks were twisted off about 15 feet off the ground.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:44 pm
Azastan wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 6:58 pm I feel bad for those of you who are being subjected to the awful air quality coming down from Canada.

Yes, this too! The air quality here is horrible. As to fireworks, the county humane society started a July 4 picnic. Instead of buying fireworks, you can go have a lovely picnic with loving dogs for the price of a bag of dog food and/or cleaning supplies.
I love this idea! I'm going to print that out and give it to my friend who volunteers at the local shelter.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Dr. Ken

Weather Alerts

Post by Dr. Ken »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:10 am
Yeah this is my area. Luckily I'm over 550 ft above sea level and insulated but areas around me didn't do so well

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

raison de arizona

Weather Alerts

It's hot in Phoenix. We've had 11 consecutive days of 110+ temperatures. The record is 18 days, which we are forecasted to beat next week, no relief in sight.
IMG_5290.jpeg
IMG_5290.jpeg (146.08 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:23 pm It's hot in Phoenix. We've had 11 consecutive days of 110+ temperatures. The record is 18 days, which we are forecasted to beat next week, no relief in sight.
But it's a dry heat. :lol: ;)
raison de arizona

Weather Alerts

IMG_5294.jpeg
IMG_5294.jpeg (133.36 KiB) Viewed 1712 times
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Very low humidity might result in a heat index 2 or 3 degrees F lower than the air temperature. ;)

Return to “General Stuff”