US v. Trump - Espionage Act - (9:23-cr-80101) District Court, S.D. Florida

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*

Will this case go to trial before the primary elections?

Yes, and it will be a wonderful circus
24%
No, Judge Cannon will dismiss the case on a motion to dismiss
5%
No, Trump’s attorneys will work out a plea bargain
2%
No, the case will be in the appeals court through the 2024 election
20%
No, Judge Cannon will grant numerous motions to delay the case
28%
No, this case will NEVER go to trial, but I don't know what will happen
8%
Some other option, which I will describe in a post.
3%
Debilitating brain aneurysm
11%

Total votes: 123

p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

MSM is treating the Aug court date as a perfunctory filing. A bunch of pundits is saying that there will be no trial before the election.

Curiously, they are all ex-GOP men. They seem to enjoy having flipped from "Be patient, Merrick Garland knows what he's doing," to "Any idiot who thought this would happen before the election is an idiot" (repetition intentional).

I've become a Harry Lipman fan lately, but his "Garland did everything exactly right!" response to the WaPo article was revolting.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I dunno. I think the government is going to expedite the clearance process, and object to every motion for a continuance. The government was ready for trial the day the indictment dropped.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Interesting that she's holding the trial in Ft Pierce instead of Palm Beach. If the jury is chosen from Palm Beach you would most likely naturally have more Democrats than Republicans on that jury. Ft Pierce is just the opposite. Mar-A-Lago is in Palm Beach, not Ft Pierce, but Cannon is "home ported" in Ft Pierce, which may be her reasoning for holding the trial there. But it definitely gives him an advantage when it comes to the likely jurors. No question on that. I was thinking since the alleged crimes took place in Palm Beach, which is Palm Beach County that the jury should be chosen from that county. Ft Pierce is in St Lucie County. If she's using the courthouse in Ft Pierce they would likely be drawing the jury from St Lucie County, which leans conservative. Not by a huge amount. There are worse places in Florida for the government to have to try Trump, places where they may as well drop the charges, in fact. Anyway, this will make him much happier if he gets a St Lucie County jury than if he gets a Palm Beach County jury.

Edit - I think the Palm Beach County courthouse might still be closed due to Covid, so it could be that Ft Pierce courthouse is closer to Palm Beach County and Miami is further. I hope the jury will come from Palm Beach County where the crimes took place.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
tek

Post by tek »

If the jury comes from Palm Beach County, I might be called for it :eek:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

We know you will be fair, tek. :mrgreen:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

! Message from: Foggy
Depending upon future developments, we may need to make this a Pre-Trial thread, and add a Trial thread later.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Off Topic
One of the most important facets of the trial is the correct application of the Classified Information Procedures Act, or CIPA. I forgotted the definition of graymail. :oopsy:
Edit: This is gonna be a fustercluck, because a rookie judge is in the defendant's camp, and she has to interpret the CIPA. If she messes up, important national secrets might be exposed. Yikes and a half.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
bob

Post by bob »

Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:13 am Any obvious agenda or is this all boilerplate?
Not only is it mostly boilerplate, but don't expect that trial date to stick. I expect several time waivers and continues.

What is slightly more interesting is the pretrial deadlines. Those probably will stick, and are fast approaching. The motions to dismiss, exclude evidence, etc., need attention now.

Many cultists are upset that FOX didn't pitch softballs. Continued vows to never watch it again, etc.
Image ImageImage
bob

Post by bob »

RVInit wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:30 am Interesting that she's holding the trial in Ft Pierce instead of Palm Beach.
The venire will be drawn from the entire Southern District, including Miami.

Having said that, a prospective juror's plea of hardship may be more readily received if it would be an extensive commute to the courthouse.
Image ImageImage
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

bob wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:23 pm
RVInit wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:30 am Interesting that she's holding the trial in Ft Pierce instead of Palm Beach.
The venire will be drawn from the entire Southern District, including Miami.

Having said that, a prospective juror's plea of hardship may be more readily received if it would be an extensive commute to the courthouse.
I leave tomorrow for D.C., then in mid-July for my next overseas post, so I'm going to have my brother check my mail weekly in case I get a summons.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
bob

Post by bob »

Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:31 pm I leave tomorrow for D.C., then in mid-July for my next overseas post, so I'm going to have my brother check my mail weekly in case I get a summons.
I will add the federal courts make an effort to summon you to the closest federal courthouse to your residence. I don't which that may be for you.

Similarly, I would expect most Miami residents will be in the downtown-Miami-courthouse pool.

(This is for petit jury service; grand jury service can be less forgiving.)
Image ImageImage
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

bob wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:37 pm
Ben-Prime wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 1:31 pm I leave tomorrow for D.C., then in mid-July for my next overseas post, so I'm going to have my brother check my mail weekly in case I get a summons.
I will add the federal courts make an effort to summon you to the closest federal courthouse to your residence. I don't which that may be for you.

Similarly, I would expect most Miami residents will be in the downtown-Miami-courthouse pool.

(This is for petit jury service; grand jury service can be less forgiving.)
I live in the Northwestern 'burbs of Broward County. One of my running jokes with Orlylicious is that my brother is the manager of the library branch down the road from my condo. :biggrin:
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

RVInit wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:30 am Interesting that she's holding the trial in Ft Pierce instead of Palm Beach. If the jury is chosen from Palm Beach you would most likely naturally have more Democrats than Republicans on that jury. Ft Pierce is just the opposite. Mar-A-Lago is in Palm Beach, not Ft Pierce, but Cannon is "home ported" in Ft Pierce, which may be her reasoning for holding the trial there. But it definitely gives him an advantage when it comes to the likely jurors. No question on that. I was thinking since the alleged crimes took place in Palm Beach, which is Palm Beach County that the jury should be chosen from that county. Ft Pierce is in St Lucie County. If she's using the courthouse in Ft Pierce they would likely be drawing the jury from St Lucie County, which leans conservative. Not by a huge amount. There are worse places in Florida for the government to have to try Trump, places where they may as well drop the charges, in fact. Anyway, this will make him much happier if he gets a St Lucie County jury than if he gets a Palm Beach County jury.

Edit - I think the Palm Beach County courthouse might still be closed due to Covid, so it could be that Ft Pierce courthouse is closer to Palm Beach County and Miami is further. I hope the jury will come from Palm Beach County where the crimes took place.
apparently, Loose Cannon lives in St. Lucie County
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Flatpoint High wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:18 pm
RVInit wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 11:30 am Interesting that she's holding the trial in Ft Pierce instead of Palm Beach. If the jury is chosen from Palm Beach you would most likely naturally have more Democrats than Republicans on that jury. Ft Pierce is just the opposite. Mar-A-Lago is in Palm Beach, not Ft Pierce, but Cannon is "home ported" in Ft Pierce, which may be her reasoning for holding the trial there. But it definitely gives him an advantage when it comes to the likely jurors. No question on that. I was thinking since the alleged crimes took place in Palm Beach, which is Palm Beach County that the jury should be chosen from that county. Ft Pierce is in St Lucie County. If she's using the courthouse in Ft Pierce they would likely be drawing the jury from St Lucie County, which leans conservative. Not by a huge amount. There are worse places in Florida for the government to have to try Trump, places where they may as well drop the charges, in fact. Anyway, this will make him much happier if he gets a St Lucie County jury than if he gets a Palm Beach County jury.

apparently, Loose Cannon lives in St. Lucie County
Yes, I believe she lives in Ft Pierce. That must be why she's holding the trial in that courthouse. It's at least an hour drive from Ft Pierce to Palm Beach,. If the jury is coming from the entire Southern distict some of them would have an awful long drive. I bet they will get a St Lucie County jury. Not the best idea for prosecution. Oh well. There is bound to be a recalcitrant MAGA on the jury no matter what.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, it's Fogbow, and it would be irresponsible not to speculate.

Thus, I am adding a poll to the thread.

Keep in mind that I am doped to the gills today following major surgery, and will give due consideration to any suggestions you may have for improving the poll (and yes, I remember that I very recently screwed up a poll by not following Maybenaut's advice :oopsy:).

Gimme a few minnits here. :oldman:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Poll added.

NOTE: You can select up to three (for the attorneys, (3) :lol:) options in the poll, and you can change your vote, which may very well be convenient in case I (or p0rtia) decide to edit the poll based upon future developments.

Carry on. :smoking:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I haven't decided my answer yet, and IANAL, but doesn't the fourth question imply that he has already been convicted if it's in appeals court?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:06 am Poll added.

NOTE: You can select up to three (for the attorneys and engineers, (3) :lol:) options in the poll, and you can change your vote, which may very well be convenient in case I (or p0rtia) decide to edit the poll based upon future developments.

Carry on. :smoking:
FIFY
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

My other option for the poll is Trump suffers a debilitating brain aneurysm right before jury selection & spends the rest of his miserable life in an uncomfortable hospital bed, in the shittiest room at Mar-a-gogo, unable to communicate, with his only human contact being large, black, male nurses, because that's how Melania wants it.
Image Image Image Image
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:42 am I haven't decided my answer yet, and IANAL, but doesn't the fourth question imply that he has already been convicted if it's in appeals court?
No, some of the lawyers think he will appeal pretrial rulings, just to cause delay.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Estiveo wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:56 am ... debilitating brain aneurysm ...
Oh yeah. :P
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh man, I just wiped out everybody's votes, told ya I am loopy today. Gabapentin, baby.

If'n I edit the poll, pfft go your votes. :oopsy:

But brain aneurysm is in. :blackeye:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:12 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:42 am I haven't decided my answer yet, and IANAL, but doesn't the fourth question imply that he has already been convicted if it's in appeals court?
No, some of the lawyers think he will appeal pretrial rulings, just to cause delay.
:thumbsup:

Okay, then that will probably be my answer.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:12 pm
:callonme:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

The primary elections will start as his 5th lawyer is submitting a response to the Show Cause order for what will be Trump's 3rd contempt of court citation.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”