FoxNews "Hacked", claims Obama shot

listeme

Postby listeme » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:47 pm

Kimba, I realize that you don't care about the nuances of the word, but it's a legitimate controversy. Wikipedia even has a section dedicated to this very topic. Telling us to "get over ourselves" seems pretty dismissive of our opinions.
Say what you mean.

Slartibartfast

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Using terms like "willful ignorance", however, doesn't exactly inspire me.

It doesn't inspire me when people can't see the difference between an amoral set of skills for gaining unauthorized access to systems (or programming skills in general) and juvenile vandalism preformed through the use of such skills.

I don't think there's a difference. It's all vandalism to me. Unauthorized access to a computer system is wrong. I have no respect for people using their mad computer skillz that way.

And apparently you have no respect for people using their mad computer skillz to keep Wikileaks going or to defend us from North Korean cyber attacks either. The ability to hack (however you define it), like all other skills, can be used for good or ill - and I'll always fight against the dumbing down of the conversation...

ducktape

Postby ducktape » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:00 pm

... Using terms like "willful ignorance", however, doesn't exactly inspire me.

I think it's grand that after saying you were unaware of "some sort of levels to make distinctions among such people" you are now an expert on the evolution of the term hacker in language, and can now suddenly disavow all such ignorance and proudly proclaim with certitude that today's usage contains no such distinctions, of which you were formerly (several hours ago) unaware. Especially impressive since you said you didn't even care about such distinctions, to have nevertheless devoted yourself to this progress in the meantime. Kudos.

Oh please. Get over yourselves. Hacker means vandal anymore. Not my fault. Go out and get a hot dog at the local 4th of July festival or something. All ya'll. Lighten up.

Oh, I see. You remind me of a neighbor who uses offensive words about our other neighbors and then tells everyone he refuses to be "Politically Correct." "Y'all lighten up." yeah, he says that too, trying to blame others for his own ignorance and prejudice. But he's an uneducated 75-year-old white guy who's watched the town he (and I) live in turn 70% Hispanic over the last 40 years. So we largely just ignore and avoid him because he's not going to ever be educated or open to others' feelings.What's your excuse? Or does it just make you feel important to pass out your little judgments?

verbalobe

Postby verbalobe » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:36 pm

... Using terms like "willful ignorance", however, doesn't exactly inspire me.

I think it's grand that after saying you were unaware of "some sort of levels to make distinctions among such people" you are now an expert on the evolution of the term hacker in language, and can now suddenly disavow all such ignorance and proudly proclaim with certitude that today's usage contains no such distinctions, of which you were formerly (several hours ago) unaware. Especially impressive since you said you didn't even care about such distinctions, to have nevertheless devoted yourself to this progress in the meantime. Kudos.

Oh please. Get over yourselves. [highlight=#ffbfff]Hacker means vandal anymore[/highlight]. Not my fault. Go out and get a hot dog at the local 4th of July festival or something. All ya'll. Lighten up.

To you. Got it. Over and out.

realist

Postby realist » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:44 pm

What's your excuse? Or does it just make you feel important to pass out your little judgments?

Irony much?
ImageX 3 (have met 31 Obots at meetups) Image X 4

Plutodog

Postby Plutodog » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:04 pm

Alright, that's enough!

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/keeweeboy/keeweeboy1002/keeweeboy100200213/6494797-referee-blowing-whistle.jpg
We are not sinners. We are not abominations. We were not born broken, and we do not need salvation. We have embraced our right to think beyond the boundaries of religion. We are living and loving our lives free from faith. -- Sarah Morehead

Sterngard Friegen

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:10 pm

Can someone fix me up with that ref's grandma? :xo

realist

Postby realist » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:11 pm

Can someone fix me up with that ref's grandma? :xo

:lol:
ImageX 3 (have met 31 Obots at meetups) Image X 4

Vice President Maru

Postby Vice President Maru » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:14 pm

What's your excuse? Or does it just make you feel important to pass out your little judgments?

Irony much?

=D> At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I must say that I have only ever heard the word hacker as a pejorative. Now I am seeing here that perhaps that is not the case. Perhaps a new word needs to come into usage to separate "good hacking" whatever that is from what us non-computer folks understand to be hacking. But keep in mind I am not a computer person.

verbalobe

Postby verbalobe » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:22 pm

Irony much?

=D> At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I must say that I have only ever heard the word hacker as a pejorative. Now I am seeing here that perhaps that is not the case. Perhaps a new word needs to come into usage to separate "good hacking" whatever that is from what us non-computer folks understand to be hacking. But keep in mind I am not a computer person.

That's okay. Apparently the people who need to know about the full range of today's usage for the word "hack" in the context of computers and the web, already know. I readily concede that others are not really missing much, unless they have more than the occasional, news-event-driven need to talk about hacking, primarily in its pejorative sense.[edit]for clarity/sense[/edit]

PatGund

Postby PatGund » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:00 pm

Remember how Dr. Kate and many of the other birtherstani were coyly hinting at "something" happening today in their happy little seditionland??Wonder how many of them saw this and thought Christmas came early this year.Sickening.

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:14 pm

There are hackers, they've been around since things mechanical appeared, making neat and useful improvements to them.Then there are crackers, usually juvenile delinquents or adults who can't adapt to adulthood who do things to damage other people's property.One set is awesome (see make.com), one sucks snot out of a syphilitic hippo's nose.

A Legal Lohengrin

Postby A Legal Lohengrin » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:51 pm

Seems the Secret Service isn't too keen on jokes about killing the President.[/break1]latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-0705-fox-twitter-hacked-20110705,0,842627.story]Secret Service investigates hacking of Fox News Twitter account

WASHINGTON — The Secret Service said Monday it would investigate the hacking of Fox's political Twitter account over updates falsely claiming that President Obama had been assassinated.Secret Service spokesman George Ogilvie said the law enforcement agency, whose job it is to protect the president, would look into the false postings and "conduct the appropriate follow-up."

-xx

John Thomas8

Postby John Thomas8 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:56 pm

The government takes much objection to it being threatened.They're polite but hard about finding out about motivations.

Slartibartfast

Postby Slartibartfast » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:59 pm

Seems the Secret Service isn't too keen on jokes about killing the President.[/break1]latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-0705-fox-twitter-hacked-20110705,0,842627.story]Secret Service investigates hacking of Fox News Twitter account

WASHINGTON — The Secret Service said Monday it would investigate the hacking of Fox's political Twitter account over updates falsely claiming that President Obama had been assassinated.Secret Service spokesman George Ogilvie said the law enforcement agency, whose job it is to protect the president, would look into the false postings and "conduct the appropriate follow-up."

-xx

I hope those asshats had a lovely fourth of July as I suspect the rest of their month is going to suck - it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of morons.

Sterngard Friegen

Postby Sterngard Friegen » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:29 am

Yes. I hope those ha... ha... ha... ha... vandals get investigated real good.

much ado

Postby much ado » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:46 am

I wrote my first computer program in 1966 for the IBM 7094. The 7090 series was IBM's first line of transistorized computers based on the architecture of the vacuum tube 709 series. So I had been around computers for about a decade before I heard the term "hacker" used in reference to programming. I originally understood it to mean an amateur programmer with little training who learned by tinkering and by doing. I still refer to a quick and dirty programming solution of my own as a "hack". It is not really surprising that a term that was originally somewhat pejorative could adopted by enthusiasts. (Like "obot"?) I looked up "hacker" in the OED... The third meaning refers to computer users and has two sub-entries:

3. a. A person with an enthusiasm for programming or using computers as an end in itself. colloq. (orig. U.S.).Earliest usage: 1976 J. Weizenbaum Computer Power & Human Reason iv. 118 "The compulsive programmer, or hacker as he calls himself, is usually a superb technician."3. b. A person who uses his skill with computers to try to gain unauthorized access to computer files or networks. colloq.Earliest usage: 1976 G. Jonas Crime by Computer xii. 112 "Reconstruction of this episode resulted in the discovery of a brilliant Trojan horse attack. About a year before its discovery the hacker wrote a useful utility program for manipulating data on magnetic tapes."

The earliest cited usage for both computer-related meanings is given by the OED as 1976.

everalm

Postby everalm » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:30 am

Going back to teh dim and distant computing past the pharse "hacker" was positive and white hat and "cracker" was perjorative and black hat

Vice President Maru

Postby Vice President Maru » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:17 am

I must admit I have never heard the word cracker before in a non-saltine or poor white Southern context. I really must be out of the loop. :oops:

wavey davey

Postby wavey davey » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:20 am

True story - back when I was starting out as a programmer (30 years ago :(( ) one way you were supposed to make programs more readable was by indenting. If you were doing things a rush, most of the time in other words, you had to do a lot of cut-and-paste of code and didn't have time to fix the indenting. The code ended up all jagged and we used to say it was "hacked." Also "hacked from the living pulp" and eventually led to such things as "get me the big machete". I have no idea if this is connected to the modern usage of hacking though.

[offtopic]Copy/paste of code is one of my primary weapons in programming.To eliminate the jagged indentations that sometimes result, there is a simple 3 keystroke solution in Visual Studio : ctrl-A to select the text, then Edit/Advanced/Format. Voila![/offtopic]

listeme

Postby listeme » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:34 am

Edited snark because:I like Fogbow.
Say what you mean.

Suranis

Postby Suranis » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:40 am

This reminds me of all the arguments over Treckers vs Trekies that appeared all over the internet before Star Trek went to shit.
Have you tried the Internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it.

Foggy

Postby Foggy » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:59 am

Can't we all get along?
Show me, show me, show me how you do that trick! The one that makes me scream, she said.

Return to “Fringe Groups & Individuals”