Falsehoods unchallenged only fester and grow. To join, email foggy at thefogbow dot com.

Guest Announcements

To join the forum, email me: foggy at thefogbow dot com.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The new BBCodes panel
PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:13 am 

The BBCodes have been upgraded

The custom BBCodes I previously implemented, like the Comedy Channel ("com"), Media Matters ("mm"), and Vimeo video codes, are in a third row of buttons beneath the new custom buttons.

Also, I'm keeping "col" (two columns), "edit," "imgwidth=," "indent," "link," "mp3," "sekrit," and "wrapimg". The other custom BBCodes I previously implemented are available in the new panel.

NOTES:

• This button --> Image is the "Tab" button. It indents ONE LINE of your text (such as the first line of a paragraph).

The "indent" button on the third row indents one or more PARAGRAPHS of text.

• The "thumbnail" code is a little tricky. You may choose ONE of the alignment options from the list:

left|center|right|float-left|float-right

So inside the square brackets, you write (for example) "thumbnail=center" or "thumbnail=right". Here's another example:
    Code:
    [thumbnail=float-right]http://www.jkamalicnews.com/images/suicide_barbie.jpg[/thumbnail]

See where it says "thumbnail=float-right"? That will place your image on the right, and "wrap" your text around your image.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:58 am 

OK, maybe one little itty bitty tiny little thing seems to havegone wrong. :oops:

I seem to have broken all the previous instances of the "center" BBCode. But you can re-apply it to your posts and signatures.

The problem is, the new BBCode says "align=center" instead of "center".

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:01 am 

Dear Foggy,
I is a:
CATEGORYSKILL
AmateurElectrician
BeginnerSCUBA Diver
ProfessionalGraphic Designer

And I can TELL
you have dunn a fabulous thing
here.
Well done and thanks.

unsound mind, a dimension of unreality, a dimension
of really, really bad law. You've just crossed over
into the Orly Zone."
-- Geritol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:04 am 

Location: FEMA Camp 17 -- Malibu (Hey! You! Get off the lawn!)
Foggy wrote:
OK, maybe one little itty bitty tiny little thing seems to havegone wrong. :oops:

I seem to have broken all the previous instances of the "center" BBCode. But you can re-apply it to your posts and signatures.

The problem is, the new BBCode says "align=center" instead of "center".

:shock:

Realist lives to serve. Foggy does it for the children. I'm in it for the schadenfreude.

:sterngard:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:10 am 

verbalobe wrote:
And I can TELL
here.
Well done and thanks.

Quite welcome. I think this thing is WAY cool.

There's a blue circle with a question mark at the top right of the new BBCodes panel that helps 'splain the codes. The blue circle to the right of that one with the exclamation point is the home page of the author of the mod.

I'm taking the whole afternoon and evening off. My dad is here, with tickets to Wake Forest ?( v. Navy :xo .

Hah! I haz hijacked my own thread! Let's talk about some football! \:D/

Sternie wrote:

Oh, walk it OFF! [-X

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:35 am 

I read the help on "anchor" but I am still confused. Is that used to link to another spot in the same post?

"The ultimate authority on the validity of a government issued document is the government that issued it." - Foggy, January 29, 2014

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:46 am 

Reality Check wrote:
I read the help on "anchor" but I am still confused. Is that used to link to another spot in the same post?

Yes.

It won't be very useful here. Where anchor links are really handy is like on Wikipedia, where a large article has a table of contents. You click on the table of contents to go to that section of the article. That's all done with anchor links. On a truly massive post (like, for example, some of the new threads Tes started about the legal cases :D ), anchors are nice for helping you jump around without a lot of scrolling and searching.

I'll probably ditch that one unless somebody makes a case that it's really useful.

Not all the stuff on the panel is going to be helpful, but about five or ten things are going to be really useful and cool.

Others come in the "wait and see what happens" category.

I calls your attention to the one that's a big black "H".

Whether you're aware of it or not, an unregistered guest can read every post on Fogbow. Unlike on PJ, the eligibility threads are open to view by all. But if you're not a registered user, you have "read-access" only, meaning you can't post.

The big "H" can be used to hide text from unregistered users.

Given the creativity of the herd, I'm eager to see what people will do with the "tabs" thingy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:19 am 

Tab 1  : OK, that is what I thought Anchor was all about. It is an internal link.

Tab 2 : This tab thing is pretty cool. This has a lot of possibilities. It might be especially useful in some of the case threads to organize the content.
The End  :  Congratulations Foggy!!

"The ultimate authority on the validity of a government issued document is the government that issued it." - Foggy, January 29, 2014

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:02 pm 
Foggy wrote:
The BBCodes have been upgraded, but ONLY for these two board styles:

Sorry, just saw this post, or I wouldn't have started this new thread. Serenity Purple is :( upgraded :( in the sense that if you have your style set to it, you can't get in by the front page and just get an ugly error message.

Nice to see traffic's up again, though. I'm not sure if subsilver has the same problem.

If you can't fix it immediately, you might be able at least to set people's styles to a default that lets them get in. I could PM them, but if they can't figure out how to get in, they won't see it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:04 pm 

I do like the PALE yellow highlight. Text can be highlighted without breaking people's eyeballs like this.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:24 pm 

Foggy wrote:
verbalobe wrote:
And I can TELL
here.
Well done and thanks.

Quite welcome. I think this thing is WAY cool.

There's a blue circle with a question mark at the top right of the new BBCodes panel that helps 'splain the codes. The blue circle to the right of that one with the exclamation point is the home page of the author of the mod.

I'm taking the whole afternoon and evening off. My dad is here, with tickets to Wake Forest ?( v. Navy :xo .

Hah! I haz hijacked my own thread! Let's talk about some football! \:D/

Sternie wrote:

Oh, walk it OFF! [-X

I like this one a lot. When Orly comes here she can think Hebrew and read English.
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in before you can view hidden messages

Realist lives to serve. Foggy does it for the children. I'm in it for the schadenfreude.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:22 am 

Fixed the subsilver2 and serenity purple board styles this morning.

REMINDER:

• No one is forcing you to use this über-cool toy. If you don't like using the new BBCodes panel, go to:

User control panel --> Board preferences --> Edit posting defaults --> ABBC3 settings
    ... and disable the damned thing.

• If you're looking for something like the "quote" button, please don't hijack the Walter Fitzpatrick thread to ask about it. You can ask right here. This thread isn't locked.

There's a help button on the top right of the BBCodes panel: Image

That will take you to the help page, which will tell you what the image of the icon that's for the "quote" BBCode is.

And all the other buttons on the BBCodes panel.

• And if you insist on hijacking the Walter Fitzpatrick thread to talk about the new BBCodes, can you at least put the offtopic text in an offtopic box using the offtopic button?

Offtopic :
Super exciting win last night in Winston-Salem. All the Navy fans were in one of 20 sections of the stadium, heavily outnumbered. Navy scored a TD with 26 seconds left on the clock to beat Wake Forest by one point. The midshipmen (and women), my dad, my kids and I all went crazy. My voice is hoarse from all the yelling. NAVY WON!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:28 am 

Offtopic :
Way to go Navy! I always root for the service academy teams when they are playing, esp., against Notre Dame!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:57 am 

\:D/

About some of the fonts not showing up for some people:

The mod I installed doesn't actually include the fonts themselves, it just calls them up. The fonts must be installed (in Windows-based computers) in your c:\Windows\fonts directory. If your computer, for example, doesn't have the "French Script MT" font installed, then you won't see it on your screen.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:06 am 

Foggy wrote:
\:D/

About some of the fonts not showing up for some people:

The mod I installed doesn't actually include the fonts themselves, it just calls them up. The fonts must be installed (in Windows-based computers) in your c:\Windows\fonts directory. If your computer, for example, doesn't have the "French Script MT" font installed, then you won't see it on your screen.

Oh, that makes sense. I know that if I send a WORD document or email with fancy fonts, they will not display properly to the recipient if they don't have the font on their machine.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:09 am 

Check out what the Butterfly Lady did in this post right here1 

See how she tried to make a footnote? and then at the bottom of the post is the footnote itself?

This is a perfect example where using the "anchor" BBCode would be useful. See the little superscript red "1" at the end of my link? Click on it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:51 pm 

That's a lot of wasted space there rooster.

Are you writing with invisible ink again?

Offtopic :
I think this is on topic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:30 pm 

This is great. I can junk my OpenOffice, Word and WordPerfect word processing progrms and do all my work here. I can store, edit, revise and recall. Thank you for thre service, Foggy. How can I make it so that it is all confidential?

God bless.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:11 pm 

My daddy taught me how to read upside down. It has been a very valuable skill in my professional life. Strangely, I can even read Sterny's backwards posts. :o Maybe I should see Glenn Beck's doctors......

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:15 pm 

TexasFilly wrote:
My daddy taught me how to read upside down. It has been a very valuable skill in my professional life. Strangely, I can even read Sterny's backwards posts. :o Maybe I should see Glenn Beck's doctors......

Stern's backwards posts are incomplete. He is still writing from left to right.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:47 pm 

Stern

Are you trying to make sure they don't kick you out of the Grumpy group?
;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:56 pm 

TollandRCR wrote:
TexasFilly wrote:

Stern's backwards posts are incomplete. He is still writing from left to right.

I don't know "how" he is writing them, I do know they must be read right to left.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:15 pm 

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
This is great. I can junk my OpenOffice, Word and WordPerfect word processing progrms and do all my work here. I can store, edit, revise and recall. Thank you for thre service, Foggy. How can I make it so that it is all confidential?

God bless.

You misspelled smargorp and eth, Stern. I gather the ol' spellcheck is busted. :twisted:

• My friends, it is solidarity of labor we want. We do not want to find fault with each other, but to solidify our forces and say to each other: “We must be together; our masters are joined together and we must do the same thing.”
  • Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living.
—Mother Jones

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:21 pm 

TexasFilly wrote:
I don't know "how" he is writing them, I do know they must be read right to left.

Unfortunately, there is a button on the new toolbar that does it: Image

Why anybody would use it, I dunno. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:39 pm 

Apparently I can read upside down, backwards, inside out, and using mirrors; maybe it's because I can read English and some other Romance languages, Hebrew, and a couple of Asian languages.

So I can read, if not understand, the posts here.

But the new BBCCodes panel that appears makes my eyes roll and my brain refuse to work.