Hijack This Thread

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by bill_g »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:59 am Congrats, bill! (On retirement, not on thé hookers and, you know.) Why, whatever will you do with your days now? :daydreaming:
That was the most common asked question yesterday. If we were playing Family Feud, it would be #1 followed by Will You Take Calls and Are You Guys Planning Any Trips.

So, in order -
Nothing specific
Yes
No ... well maybe

I'm definitely taking July off to catch up on some house projects that can't be attempted on a weekend. Then I'm returning in August to complete two contractual obligations / projects that were delayed because of product availability. One may get pushed out further. Then I have a whole cycle of contractual Fall inspections to complete. I'm hoping to have at least one apprentice accompany me to learn the process. Then I have two pet projects that have been delayed by budget cuts, Covid, supply line issues, and clients admin changes. They coaleced this year, first draft contracts written, no ink yet, no final pricing, and nothing ordered. So, I'm expecting to be involved in those Q1, Q3, and possibly Q4 next year. We'll see.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Lani wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:27 amGood for you!
Foggy wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:17 am Congratulations, sir!
Thank you.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Happy Retirement! Woo! Hoo!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Congrats! Sounds like it was a fabulous sendoff!.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:09 am Congrats! Sounds like it was a fabulous sendoff!.
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:30 am Happy Retirement! Woo! Hoo!!!
Thank you. It was very unexpected, but I am very grateful for it.

It was almost painful to listen as one of our regional managers read letters from my clients unable to attend. They must have broadcast the invite wide. There is only so much praise you can take in one sitting if you know what I mean. But, I countered it when I aked if anyone in the room had a cloth tape because I could tell my hat size increased one or two sizes. And then I bought a round for everyone. They can't talk is they're drinking is what I thought. Dumb idea.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:54 am
AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:09 am Congrats! Sounds like it was a fabulous sendoff!.
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:30 am Happy Retirement! Woo! Hoo!!!
And then I bought a round for everyone. They can't talk is they're drinking is what I thought. Dumb idea.
Wiped out your savings and 401k, eh? 😆
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:01 am
bill_g wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:54 am
And then I bought a round for everyone. They can't talk is they're drinking is what I thought. Dumb idea.
Wiped out your savings and 401k, eh? 😆
There's a couple bucks left. I can always raid the penny jar for groceries.

(alternate answer) I put it on the credit card. I can default later.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Best wishes Bill.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

bill_g wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:44 am
Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:59 am Congrats, bill! (On retirement, not on thé hookers and, you know.) Why, whatever will you do with your days now? :daydreaming:
That was the most common asked question yesterday. If we were playing Family Feud, it would be #1 followed by Will You Take Calls and Are You Guys Planning Any Trips.

So, in order -
Nothing specific
Yes
No ... well maybe

I'm definitely taking July off to catch up on some house projects that can't be attempted on a weekend. Then I'm returning in August to complete two contractual obligations / projects that were delayed because of product availability. One may get pushed out further. Then I have a whole cycle of contractual Fall inspections to complete. I'm hoping to have at least one apprentice accompany me to learn the process. Then I have two pet projects that have been delayed by budget cuts, Covid, supply line issues, and clients admin changes. They coaleced this year, first draft contracts written, no ink yet, no final pricing, and nothing ordered. So, I'm expecting to be involved in those Q1, Q3, and possibly Q4 next year. We'll see.
That ain't retirement.
If they tell you I fell off the bed and hung myself, I didn't.
keith

Post by keith »

I gotz a code inda dose.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

keith wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:10 am
That ain't retirement.
You're right. It's not, but I'm sure the other professionals here have seen this before. Neither the farmer nor the lawyer have to retire. They enjoy their craft like I do. I'm easing into it for my benefit and the company's. I'm handing the reins off, and letting others take more responsibility. I'm keeping the truck, the phone, the email, the laptops, the test equipment, and the office. I'm not coming in M-F 7-5 and I'm not on call. I'll pick the projects I want to be involved with. I'll assume more of a mentorship and less of a hands on role. My orphaned clients and projects will be supported for as long as I have the physical ability.

Onward.
Attachments
20220702_034430.jpg
20220702_034430.jpg (354.97 KiB) Viewed 666 times
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

:( :mad:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Our older daughter's medical insurance stopped covering a pill she has taken daily for years. Wants her to use a generic that she does not tolerate well. :mad:

She's going to her doctor once she gets back to Texas next week.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

One of my friends had a baby (I have no idea why, apparently they thought it was a good idea). Baby was very premature. $2.1 MILLION for the NICU alone.

I'm sure insurance will kick in at some point, but even my reasonably good insurance would leave me covering 10% of that.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Azastan wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:45 pm One of my friends had a baby (I have no idea why, apparently they thought it was a good idea). Baby was very premature. $2.1 MILLION for the NICU alone.

I'm sure insurance will kick in at some point, but even my reasonably good insurance would leave me covering 10% of that.
Whoa!
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

bill_g wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:44 am

So, in order -
Nothing specific
Yes
No ... well maybe

<snip>
Here’s what my husband did. He said he’d take calls, and for the first couple days he answered right away, then over the next weeks and months started letting it go to voicemail and taking longer and longer to respond. Then when he’d call back he’d get, “we figured it out already,” which he knew would happen. The work calls tapered off, and now they call only to catch up.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:40 pm Our older daughter's medical insurance stopped covering a pill she has taken daily for years. Wants her to use a generic that she does not tolerate well. :mad:

When I was still working in family practice I sent all of our patients to the Costco pharmacy. I don’t know if there is a Costco anywhere near your daughter but they have the best prices of all on prescription drugs (or at least they use to) and you do not need a membership to use their pharmacy, it's open to the public. If there is one in her vicinity it would be well worth at least giving them a call to check the price.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:yeahthat:

I’m a Costco fan for all kinds of reasons, prescriptions being just one. Employees are treated well and stick around for years.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:40 pm Our older daughter's medical insurance stopped covering a pill she has taken daily for years. Wants her to use a generic that she does not tolerate well. :mad:

Tell her to document the heck out of the issues and push back. My insurance (Indiana's version of ACA) started giving me static about my asthma inhalers early in the pandemic. I tend to be intolerant of a lot of medications and it took six years to find two inhalers that work for me and didn't cause serious side effects. I get that they're expensive but it ticked me off that they were messing with my breathing during a pandemic that attacked the respiratory system. So I documented everything and kept sending notes to my PA. We went through a couple of inhalers that didn't work very well but my PA started forwarding my documentation to insurance. I haven't had any issues getting my inhalers since and this last time they sent me three months worth at once which is about $1,200 worth of prescriptions.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:48 pm We went through a couple of inhalers that didn't work very well but my PA started forwarding my documentation to insurance. I haven't had any issues getting my inhalers since and this last time they sent me three months worth at once which is about $1,200 worth of prescriptions.
:shock:

She should call Costco too, just as a matter of curiosity.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Our youngest daughter (37) was having trouble with her car so my wife loaned her our black 2020 Tucson yesterday so she could take her kids on a day trip somewhere. It came back with a scratch that runs from under the driver's side mirror all the way back to the fuel filler door. Nobody seems to know how it happened. I'm honestly more than a little retentive about my cars and I could probably shave in the reflection off of the paint on this car. The daughter is exactly the opposite. Her cars usually look like they've been driven through a barbed wire fence several times. :mad:

So, I spent half my day buffing out the driver's side of the car trying to get rid of the scratch. Luckily, it didn't go all the way through the paint anywhere and I've got it down to where you can only see a couple of sections of it if you shine a bright light at a certain angle. Tomorrow I get to detail the rest of the car to clean up all the compound dust but I had done all my back could take for one day.

Oh, and I hate, loathe and despise black cars because they show absolutely every little defect. I've had two and swore I would never own another but this was my sister-in-law's car which we bought from her so she could pay some medical bills when she got too sick to drive. It turns out my wife doesn't really care for it and we may trade it for an EV if we can get our hands on one that meets our needs.

Our daughter is a good kid but she could at least take care of our stuff even if she doesn't take of her own. Anyway, end of rant. I just needed to get that off my chest.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
keith

Post by keith »

keith wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:23 am I gotz a code inda dose.
It aint a cold.

I did a RATS and I'm positive for the dreadded lurgy

Symptoms almost gone already, but I have to stay isolated till the 10th
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:( Bummer, dude.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:11 pm
Here’s what my husband did. He said he’d take calls, and for the first couple days he answered right away, then over the next weeks and months started letting it go to voicemail and taking longer and longer to respond. Then when he’d call back he’d get, “we figured it out already,” which he knew would happen. The work calls tapered off, and now they call only to catch up.
Good plan. Thx!

Return to “General Stuff”