All the President's golf clubs

Kendra

All the President's golf clubs

Post by Kendra » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:09 pm

Come across a story with an inside look at them? Post them here please.

The Bedminster Club, http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... _news.html
The clubhouse walls are crowded with photographs and paintings of Trump, she said, from the famous 1990 cover of Playboy magazine to a portrait from his Apprentice days, along with pictures of his heroes (Muhammad Ali) and enemies (a triptych caricature of Hillary Clinton’s face, crossed out and framed with the words “Crooked Hillary”).
Lots more at the link.

RTH10260

Re: All the President's golf clubs

Post by RTH10260 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:00 pm

Kendra wrote:Come across a story with an inside look at them? Post them here please.

The Bedminster Club, http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/ ... _news.html
The clubhouse walls are crowded with photographs and paintings of Trump, she said, from the famous 1990 cover of Playboy magazine to a portrait from his Apprentice days, along with pictures of his heroes (Muhammad Ali) and enemies (a triptych caricature of Hillary Clinton’s face, crossed out and framed with the words “Crooked Hillary”).
Lots more at the link.
This person has some serious mental defects. And has access to the nuclear code... :doh: :cantlook:

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:07 am

Associated Press
Coast Guard: Paddlers can use Potomac near Trump golf course

WASHINGTON (AP) — Kayakers, paddleboarders and other active groups can continue to use the Potomac River near a Virginia golf course owned by President Donald Trump, the commandant of the Coast Guard said Tuesday.

The Coast Guard has been closing a 2-mile section of the river when Trump is at his golf course, prompting protests from boaters and other groups, including a group of wounded veterans who use the area for therapy. Two Democratic lawmakers questioned the need to close the river to accommodate Trump. Adm. Paul Zukunft said he and other officials listened to the complaints, “and we are making accommodations for the public.” As long as river enthusiasts stay on the Maryland side of the river, they can continue to use canoes, kayaks and other watercraft, Zukunft told lawmakers at a House hearing on Tuesday.

Zukunft said he flew over the area near the Sterling, Virginia, golf course — 25 miles north of the White House — last weekend, after receiving complaints about the river closures. “We can make an accommodation here,” he told lawmakers.

¡Qué vergüenza!

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:42 am

Good.

Gregg

Post by Gregg » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:14 am

They ought to be more reverent to the sight of the infamous "Battle of the River of Blood" and not be playing there. :liar:

Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

TollandRCR

Post by TollandRCR » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:05 pm

That would serve Trump right for putting up a plaque to the battle that never happened
https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/25/us/p ... story.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_of_Blood_(monument)

“The truth is, we know so little about life, we don’t really know what the good news is and what the bad news is.” Kurt Vonnegut

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:39 pm

From the guardian

The Trump Organization faces a long battle with Scotland’s environment agencies after they objected to its plans to build a new golf course on the coast of Aberdeenshire.

The agencies have told Donald Trump’s company its plans for a second 18-hole course at his Trump International Golf Links Scotland resort north of Aberdeen breach strict rules on sewage pollution, environmental protection and conserving groundwater.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... hire#img-1

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:45 pm

Raw Story
"That White House is a real dump" - Trump openly trashes residence while visiting his golf course

Golf.com reports that during a recent visit to his New Jersey golf club (which Trump has visited four times since his inauguration), the president told fellow members the reason why he frequents his own properties.

“That White House is a real dump,” he said.

The profile of Trump the golfer also described how his New Jersey golf course functioned as a de facto campaign headquarters during the 2016 presidential election. The grounds had an anti-Hillary shrine “built in a bar in the men’s locker room” and blared Fox News at top volume.

Trump also allowed his golf club members access to potential Cabinet interviewees during the transition.

“This is my real group,” he reportedly told a group of members, while inviting them to stop by his interviews the following day. “You are the special people. I see all of you. I recognize, like, 100% of you, just about.”

¡Qué vergüenza!

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:34 pm

The White House doesn't have enough gold leaf all over it.

:brickwallsmall:

Let's hope it stays that way.

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:54 pm

You know how sometimes, older people get 'stuck' in a design rut and they can't get out of it? My grandparents, for instance, were 'stuck' in mid-century - their entire house was a shrine to mid-century, which, now, of course, has come back into fashion; but since I associate it with my grandparents' house, and I grew up thinking their house looked outdated, I still don't particularly care for the look. It seems to me like Donald Trump is 'stuck' in the 1980s, in the really tacky gold-plated design mode. I suppose it could be worse, he could be partial to blue wallpaper with polka-dots, with a border of geese in bonnets.

ETA - Yes, I know, 70 is hardly 'old' . . .

gupwalla

Post by gupwalla » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:10 pm

I have previously described Trump's interior design aesthetic as Midas vomiting all over Versailles.

In a wilderness of mirrors, what will the spider do beyond the circuit of the shuddering Bear in fractured atoms? -TS Eliot (somewhat modified)

All warfare is based on deception. - Sun Tzu

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:11 pm

There's a fantastic little book, Dictator Style, by Peter York. Trump fits it to a T.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:01 pm

For what it's worth, it is entirely plausible that Trump's assessment of the White House interior is correct.

Back in the 1940's, the building was quite literally a wreck

Several areas were closed off due to danger of collapsing floors, there were rats in the building, at that point, the original structure was essentially in danger of structural failure.

Truman moved into Blair house and they spent several years rebuilding the building. At this point, the only original parts of the building are the exterior shell and some of the architectural elements that were salvaged. The floors, walls and ceilings were completely gutted out and replaced. The foundations were rebuilt and basements were dug out.

It was the late 40's, so I assume that they used a lot of asbestos and prefab materials common to the post war era.

i'm sure that there have been minor renovations since then, however, since the building has been continuously occupied, it's possible that the building interiors and hvac systems are in need of a major rehab.

http://www.whitehousemuseum.org/special ... n-1948.htm

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:26 pm

He'd probably change his mind if they installed the gold-plated toilets he apparently favors. :roll:

maydijo

Post by maydijo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:41 pm

Chilidog wrote:For what it's worth, it is entirely plausible that Trump's assessment of the White House interior is correct.

Several areas were closed off due to danger of collapsing floors, there were rats in the building, at that point, the original structure was essentially in danger of structural failure.

Truman moved into Blair house and they spent several years rebuilding the building. At this point, the only original parts of the building are the exterior shell and some of the architectural elements that were salvaged. The floors, walls and ceilings were completely gutted out and replaced. The foundations were rebuilt and basements were dug out.

It was the late 40's, so I assume that they used a lot of asbestos and prefab materials common to the post war era.

i'm sure that there have been minor renovations since then, however, since the building has been continuously occupied, it's possible that the building interiors and hvac systems are in need of a major rehab.

Don't ruin my fun with facts. :madguy:

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:47 pm

Chilidog wrote:For what it's worth, it is entirely plausible that Trump's assessment of the White House interior is correct.
Doesn't matter. As POTUS, you just don't disparage the White House. At least not like that. There are many ways to say it's a dump without saying "It's a dump." But that's all about tact and diplomacy, neither of which Trump is capable of.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:54 pm

The first people who would be against spending any money to update/upgrade the White House would be the republicans.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:01 pm

AndyinPA wrote:The first people who would be against spending any money to update/upgrade the White House would be the republicans.
Remember, Drumph had/has plans to build a big ballroom on top of the rose garden. He said in the past that it's embarrassing when huge state dinners are held in tents. And he's said he would pay for it himself.

Of course the Capital Architect has other ideas.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

RVInit

Post by RVInit » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:06 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Doesn't matter. As POTUS, you just don't disparage the White House. At least not like that. There are many ways to say it's a dump without saying "It's a dump." But that's all about tact and diplomacy, neither of which Trump is capable of.
:yeah:

"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:11 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote:
Well, Truman was entitled to say some stuff about it. Especially after the piano fell thru the floor.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:14 pm

Yeah, wth was going on in the 1930s and 40s to allow the White House to fall into disrepair? :think:

I love the poorly educated!!!

I believe Anita Hill!

Reality Check

Post by Reality Check » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:22 pm

MN-Skeptic wrote: Doesn't matter. As POTUS, you just don't disparage the White House. At least not like that. There are many ways to say it's a dump without saying "It's a dump." But that's all about tact and diplomacy, neither of which Trump is capable of.
:like:

Especially when you're a petty spoiled piece of crap excuse for a human being like Trump.

"“If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention.”

Heather Heyer, November 2016

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:22 pm

I beg to differ. The last shop I worked in as an employee was Knipp & Co. If you read about the Truman renovations you'll see it mentioned that beams from the existing structure were resawn into paneling for four rooms. Knipp was one of the firms that did that, and built a lot of the other millwork, both interior and exterior.

Some of the exterior millwork that was removed at the time remained in Knipp's layout loft until they closed in 1993. I rescued a single wainscot panel that appears to be from the post-fire rebuild in 1814 from the dumpster, and have it now by my office desk... along with a signed provenance letter from the Knipp family.

That renovation was state of the art, and I've visited in person several times and because of the Knipp connexion I have collected books, photos and accounts of the various redecorations, notably by the Kennedys (my favorite, for the careful recreation of a significant stylstic moment in our history in each room). The place has always been in immaculate repair and appearance. It's the damn President's home. As far as I can tell, no expense has been spared to keep all the systems, even plumbing, in perfect condition.

Its e-systems are constantly upgraded and (until recently) scrupulously secured. GWB even installed solar hot water boosters and solar-electric panels (although he tried to keep it on the down low) and BHO upgraded and expanded the installation.

To describe the White House as a "dump" is the height of absurdity. But what can one expect from a man who thinks all our past negotiators were idiots, our treaties and agreements horrible deals, our scientists liars, our policies stupid, and that he is the most competent, admired and beloved President in history. Except Lincoln. Maybe.

The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:51 pm

Trump is totally incompetent at lying. Trump knows he's getting criticized for spending so much time at his golf clubs. What better excuse for not staying at the White House than by disparaging it? It makes his properties sound so great, after all - they're better than the White House. And who's going to correct him? Obama? The Clintons? He would just say they can't recognize a dump when they see one.

MAGA - Morons Are Governing America

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:34 am

RoadScholar wrote:

I beg to differ. The last shop I worked in as an employee was Knipp & Co. If you read about the Truman renovations you'll see it mentioned that beams from the existing structure were resawn into paneling for four rooms. Knipp was one of the firms that did that, and built a lot of the other millwork, both interior and exterior.

Some of the exterior millwork that was removed at the time remained in Knipp's layout loft until they closed in 1993. I rescued a single wainscot panel that appears to be from the post-fire rebuild in 1814 from the dumpster, and have it now by my office desk... along with a signed provenance letter from the Knipp family.

That renovation was state of the art, and I've visited in person several times and because of the Knipp connexion I have collected books, photos and accounts of the various redecorations, notably by the Kennedys (my favorite, for the careful recreation of a significant stylstic moment in our history in each room). The place has always been in immaculate repair and appearance. It's the damn President's home. As far as I can tell, no expense has been spared to keep all the systems, even plumbing, in perfect condition.

Its e-systems are constantly upgraded and (until recently) scrupulously secured. GWB even installed solar hot water boosters and solar-electric panels (although he tried to keep it on the down low) and BHO upgraded and expanded the installation.

To describe the White House as a "dump" is the height of absurdity. But what can one expect from a man who thinks all our past negotiators were idiots, our treaties and agreements horrible deals, our scientists liars, our policies stupid, and that he is the most competent, admired and beloved President in history. Except Lincoln. Maybe.
I defer to your knowledge.

I assume, However, that even if maintenance is first class, there are still likely to be some mechanical systems, plumbing etc, that are nearing the end of their life cycle. A sixty year old pipe is still a sixty year old pipe.

None of this is meant to excuse Trump's boorishness

The man has no sense of history or style.

Return to “Trump Administration”