Post by Dan1100 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:58 pm

MsDaisy wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:51 pm
Sugar Magnolia wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:29 pm
MsDaisy wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:19 pm

So, Mueller had Trump's bank records in hand! :popcorn:
My question, again, is whether Mueller actually HAS the records, or has simply subpoenaed them at this point.
Every single article I can find refers back to a single article by Handelsblatt, the German newspaper.
I can only assume so, I looked too and Handelsblatt is supposedly a reputable publication and is the Guardian. The Guardian article did say Deutsche Bank told Bloomberg in a statement that "it always cooperated with investigating authorities". So I think they probably have turned the records over, even though the article also says that Trump’s lawyer Jay Sekulow told Reuters no subpoena had been issued or received. But I don’t have much faith in in the reliability of Trump’s lawyers.
How would Sekulow confirm it? Mueller sure as hell wouldn't tell him. Would the bank tell him? I kind of doubt it, although I don't really know for sure.
"Hello, Deutsche Bank, how can I direct your call?

I like to know if there has been a subpoena issued for Donald Trump's accounts?

Not that I know of, do you know your party's extension or would you like a directory? Or would you like to speak to an customer service representative?

No, that's fine, that's all I need.

Thank you for calling Deutsche Bank. Please hold for a short automated survey about your experience with us today."

"Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, 'I forgot armed robbery was illegal.' "

-Steve Martin

Judge Mental

Re: Mueller's investigation of Trump

Post by Judge Mental » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:05 pm

Lawyers....does Mueller even have the power to subpoena the bank records of someone who is "not under investigation"?

Kendra

Post by Kendra » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:07 pm

I believe his lawyers as much as I believe Trump. And...his twitter feed is awfully quiet today. So is junior's.

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:08 pm

Sarah Succubus says no subpoenas. How would she know?
3DEEFF41-D26E-42FB-A0A2-57016A57CFCA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:15 pm

Update from Bloomberg: In the video the man said the bank had received “requests” from Congeress for documents but that they couldn’t just release them because of privacy concerns, but now they have received the official subpoena from Mueller and are releasing the information. So I guess we wait and see on that one.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... ient-trump

Birfers are toast

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III

Post by fierceredpanda » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:17 pm

Sekulow is a joke. Why is he still on Trump's defense team? Even compared to the idiot Dowd and Ty Cobb's comic mustache, Sekulow stands out for being grossly unqualified. He's doing what he always does: Self-promotion. And his denial that Deutsche has received a subpoena is worth next to nothing.

"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:19 pm

Out of everyone on the team - Dowd, Sekulow, Cobb, and Cobb's Moustache - the Moustache is probably the most competent.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

June bug

Post by June bug » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:28 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:19 pm
Out of everyone on the team - Dowd, Sekulow, Cobb, and Cobb's Moustache - the Moustache is probably the most competent.
Mikey! :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

voxpopuluxe

Post by voxpopuluxe » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:03 pm

Addie wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:09 am

So basically their man is oblivious and unfit for office; is that what they're saying?
Hey, "I know nothink! Nothink!" always worked for Sgt Schultz.

"Nazi pants fuck off!"

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:07 pm

Just cuz the right is gonna say Mueller has gone to far... https://www.justice.gov/opa/press-relea ... 1/download

MsDaisy

Post by MsDaisy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:17 pm

Four months of Trump-Russia inquiry cost $3.2m – as much as a Mar-a-Lago golf trip
Robert Mueller’s investigation into whether the Trump campaign conspired with the Kremlin to try to sway the 2016 presidential election has cost taxpayers $3.2m over its first four months.

That is roughly the same estimated cost as a single presidential golfing trip to Mar-a-Lago.

The office of the special counsel released on Tuesday its details of expenditures from May to the end of September. The biggest amount for the team of lawyers and investigators who are looking into the presidential campaign is personnel costs: $1.7m.

The cost of the investigation is significantly higher – a total of $6.7m in that same period – when other expenses that are related to the investigation that were paid for by the DoJ directly were taken into account.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017 ... ation-cost

Birfers are toast

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:28 pm

Mikedunford wrote:
"Ty Cobb's Moustasche" would be a great band name.

It's a good thing the baseball player is dead. He could sue the lawyer for besmirching the name.

Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:38 pm

Chilidog wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:28 pm
Mikedunford wrote:
"Ty Cobb's Moustasche" would be a great band name.

It's a good thing the baseball player is dead. He could sue the lawyer for besmirching the name.
It's my understanding that the baseball player did a pretty good job of besmirching the name long before the lawyer's daddy was a gleam in his eye.

Just sayin'.

Edit: No disrespect to the mustache, though.

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."
---Sun Tzu (quoting Thomas Jefferson)
nam-myoho-renge-kyo---Thomas Jefferson (quoting Slartibartfast)

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:48 pm

Sigh.

That was the joke....

Suranis

Post by Suranis » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:12 pm

fierceredpanda wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:17 pm
Sekulow is a joke. Why is he still on Trump's defense team?
Do you think any decent lawyer is willing to get onto Trumps defense team? Trump probably stiffed every decent law firm over the years, and no-one would be willing to walk into a legal minefield where their client could demand illegal acts in his defense.

Trumps legal team is probably all they can get.

"I think its pretty troubling when a backyard decoration comes out swinging harder against Nazis than the President of the United States." - Stephen Colbert

tek

Post by tek » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:29 pm

Suranis wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:12 pm
Trumps legal team is probably all they can get.
Definitely has that Keystone Cops feel to it..

Fast talkin' guys with strange red eyes
Have put things in your head
And started your mind to wonderin'

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:54 pm

Hmmmm...???

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:21 pm

I think that's correct.

I believe that each era finds a improvement in law each year brings something new for the benefit of mankind.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Only if he's an "adverse witness."

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:46 pm

I think right now he's just an "assverse" witness

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:01 pm

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:14 pm
Only if he's an "adverse witness."
Trying (and maybe failing) to think this one through. Possibilities as I see them:

1: Trump wrote the Tweet and Dowd is taking the blame.
2: Dowd wrote the Tweet without Trump's input or approval.
3: Dowd wrote the Tweet with Trump's approval.

Testifying to options 1 or 3 would, I think, be adverse to Trump's interests and require disqualification.

Option 2 is more complex. On it's face, it's not clearly adverse to Trump.1 But then we get to the follow-up questions, which will involve Dowd's knowledge when he wrote the statement. Dowd was hired, IIRC, in June, so he won't have firsthand knowledge. His information will have been acquired through conversations with his client that would ordinarily fall within the scope of attorney-client privilege. But does the privilege survive the Tweet? I have no idea, but I do know that Mueller hasn't been shy about attacking the privilege.

If the privilege survives, Dowd probably doesn't have to withdraw. If it doesn't, that brings us to the follow-up options:

4: Dowd knew Trump knew, believed, or strongly suspected that Flynn lied to the FBI when he fired Flynn.
5: Dowd knew Trump did not know Flynn lied to the FBI when he fired Flynn.
6: Dowd didn't have any idea what Trump knew when he freelanced.

Testifying to 4 would be adverse to Trump's interests.

Testifying to 5 or 6 would not necessarily be adverse to Trump's interests, and would instead merely involve Dowd testifying that Dowd had made a truly stupifying blunder that calls his fundamental competence as an advocate for his client into question.

1: But it might be adverse to Dowd's own personal interests.

--Clarence Earl Gideon

Notorial Dissent

Post by Notorial Dissent » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:21 am

I'd say the swamp just got danker for LaRump. If they have his bank records things are NOT going well.

The fact that you sincerely and wholeheartedly believe that the “Law of Gravity” is unconstitutional and a violation of your sovereign rights, does not absolve you of adherence to it.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:35 am

Good thing he fully divested his business interests before taking office and is definitely letting his sons make all the day-to-day decisions with absolutely no input from himself.

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 5 dogs, 2 cats, the neighbor's cat, and 1 horse

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:26 am

Turtle wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:35 am
Good thing he fully divested his business interests before taking office and is definitely letting his sons make all the day-to-day decisions with absolutely no input from himself.
:rotflmao:

“I’ve been hooked since my first smell of C-4.” Linda Cox, first female Air Force Explosive Ordnance Disposal Technician, first to lead her own unit, go to war, be awarded a Bronze Star, and hold the highest enlisted rank of chief master sergeant.

GhostOfSolomon

Post by GhostOfSolomon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:38 am

One must not accept any doctrine from reverence, but first try it as gold is tried by fire.

#IngloriousBastard
#Wolverine

Return to “Trump Administration”